• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your position about Islam

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It was only about 50 yrs ago that when you went to mass at a Catholic Church the whole service was done in Latin. Imagine that, going to church and not understanding a word the priest was saying. Now thats what I would call arrogance. With Islam being 600 yrs younger, that would make them more progressive.

I have seen that argument being raised before, but I don't think it is very convincing. For better or worse, Islam and Christianity exist on the same planet and do in fact pay a lot of attention to each other.

We are not talking about parallel, unrelated development histories.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Wow! What are we talking about now. I thought we were talking about Muslims being arrogant about using arabic in some of it's translations. You just blew by the latin thing.

Now we're talking about their entire history. Well how glorious was the Crusades. How glorious was Hitler killing Jews. Intertwined with Islam's bloody pass is Judaism's bloody past. Christianity was also spread by the sword.

Mankind is a violent species. To point out any culture you will find a past of war and atrocities. No one culture is without blood on its hands.

It's like you said: given that Christians spilled lots of blood in their past, nowadays other religions are legitimized to do the same.
As a Christian (and like all Christians) I acknowledge that the Crusades are the emblem of backwardness, barbarity, ignorance. Organized by people who were not Christians, but bloody warriors
And I reject them as a part of Christianity. Which is about "Love your enemies"
I reject all the atrocities committed by the Catholic Church: they were Satan's work, of course. (the real history of Catholicism begins after the Second Vatican Council. 50 years ago)

I also expect other religions to reject the atrocities of the past. And by the way, this thread is about the present

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
One-Answer said:
This isn't quite accurate what you are saying. The Quraan as wrote an Arabic is a miracle itself. The point is that no one would be able to write the Quraan in such a way. There is no technical skill that can achieve that. However, people don't come to Islam because of that.

As a non Arabic reader, I don't think you are in a position to agree nor disagree with that.

This is not the first time I've heard this claim. I have three different translations of the Quran - all made by brilliant people who devoted their lives to the task. None of these translations strike me as anywhere near miraculous. I have read many, many better books.

So, in what way do you view the Quran as containing miraculous writing?

Sabour

I don't know. Different Muslims and Islamic websites have told me different things. Different verses of the Qur'an can be used to support each version.

The all-merciful God would want us to follow the second.

The only way to have two different opposite views is by taking things out of context or presenting part of the "truth" which will become insanely wrong.

I would like to see your sources and discuss them if you are interested.

Thank you, this is pretty much identical to the Christian position (Calvinist heresy notwithstanding).
Thank you, those verses sound agreeable. One question I have though, is this: Whenever I decide to go to quranexplorer.com to listen to the Qur'an being recited (sometimes the mood strikes me, and I find the chanting to be very relaxing), I always come to the beginning passages from Surah al-Baqarah, and the two ones that make me raise my eyebrows go like this:

As for the Disbelievers, Whether thou warn them or thou warn them not it is all one for them; they believe not. (6) Allah hath sealed their hearing and their hearts, and on their eyes there is a covering. Theirs will be an awful doom.

Let me get into some explanation here.

The Arabic word used to describe a non believer is كافر

This word is used to describe someone who is covering the truth. One of the biggest reasons for doing so is the negative pride and refusal to hear. So for these people it won't matter if you show them evidences or talk to them or anything because they will choose not to listen.

Allah makes it clear through the Quraan in the other verses that this is because of their own hands and not because Allah is not being good with them. This is shown in other verses in the Quraan, and here is an example.

16:33

Do the disbelievers await [anything] except that the angels should come to them or there comes the command of your Lord? Thus did those do before them. And Allah wronged them not, but they had been wronging themselves.

I suggest you read this verse in different translations so that the meaning would be clear because I think instead if using the word "Wronged" another word may have given a clearer meaning, in Arabic, the verse is trying to say that Allah wasn't unjust with them, but they were the ones who were unjust to themselves.

(16) Their similitude is that of a man who kindled a fire; when it lighted all around him, Allah took away their light and left them in utter darkness so they could not see. (17) Deaf, dumb, and blind, they will not return (to the path). (18) Or (another similitude) is that of a rain-laden cloud from the sky; in it are zones of darkness, and thunder and lightning they press their fingers in their ears to keep out the stunning thunder-clap, the while they are in terror of death. But Allah is ever round the rejecters of Faith! (19) The lightning all but snatches away their sight; every time the light (helps) them, they walk therein and when the darkness grows on them, they stand still. And if Allah willed, He could take away their faculty of hearing and seeing; for Allah hath power over all things.

About these verses, they are not about the disbelievers, these are about hypocrites.

The verses talking about hypocrites start from the verse number 8 in that chapter. In that verse Allah start describing them, including the verses you have mentioned.

2:8-16

8 And of the people are some who say, "We believe in Allah and the Last Day," but they are not believers.

9 They [think to] deceive Allah and those who believe, but they deceive not except themselves and perceive [it] not.

10 In their hearts is disease, so Allah has increased their disease; and for them is a painful punishment because they [habitually] used to lie.

11 And when it is said to them, "Do not cause corruption on the earth," they say, "We are but reformers."

12 Unquestionably, it is they who are the corrupters, but they perceive [it] not.

13 And when it is said to them, "Believe as the people have believed," they say, "Should we believe as the foolish have believed?" Unquestionably, it is they who are the foolish, but they know [it] not.

14 And when they meet those who believe, they say, "We believe"; but when they are alone with their evil ones, they say, "Indeed, we are with you; we were only mockers."

15 [But] Allah mocks them and prolongs them in their transgression [while] they wander blindly.

16 Those are the ones who have purchased error [in exchange] for guidance, so their transaction has brought no profit, nor were they guided.

If you read these verses, you also see that this is actually because of their actions and what they do. These are the worst for they are trying to deceive Allah and the people. They are trying to show that they believe when they don't.

So verse 17 describes them as people who have the candle or light (the truth) but still they can't see.

When I read the first part, it strikes me very much as if Allah has hardened the hearts of the disbelievers so that they will not believe, and has doomed them to Hell. Is it not Allah's will that all be saved? And in the second part, it sounds to me like Allah punishes those who say they believe but don't, and instead of guiding them, He confuses and disorients them.

As I said, this is because of their own actions.

55:60 Is the reward for good [anything] but good?

6:160 Whoever comes [on the Day of Judgement] with a good deed will have ten times the like thereof [to his credit], and whoever comes with an evil deed will not be recompensed except the like thereof; and they will not be wronged.

41:46 Whoever does righteousness - it is for his [own] soul; and whoever does evil [does so] against it. And your Lord is not ever unjust to [His] servants.

There are many verses that would illustrate my point more and more. However I don't remember them. I think reading the whole Quraan and taking the whole meaning would explain things much clearer.

Basically, they were a school of Islam that developed in the 900's that emphasized dialogue and reason to deal with matters of the faith. They taught that mankind had complete free will, and Allah didn't force them into anything, unlike some other schools of Islam that stressed Allah's sovereignty to the point where humanity had no free will at all.

Actually this is still a debatable topic today. From my understanding, there is the will of God of how things would go and there are the choices that we can make. Allah has given us the COMPLETE ability to choose what we choose. However what we choose and what we intend has it effect for that we choose our road and God gives us what we deserve after making that choices.

Fair enough. The Christian Bible makes it very explicit that God loves us, and that God is love. Love is easily the most important thing in Christianity, whereas it seems that submission to Allah is the most important thing in Islam (hence the name).

I think if you read the Quraan, you can clearly see the love.

These are very nice hadith. I understand that a hadith cannot be considered valid if it contradicts the Qur'an. Can a Muslim pick and choose which hadith he/she decides to accept?

If hadith contradicts the Quraan than the hadith can't be taken. However, this must be deeply investigated.

The hadiths I provided don't contradict with the Quraan but they confirm.

Almost all of them are in Surah 5.

And behold! Allah will say: "O Jesus the son of Mary! Didst thou say unto men, 'Take me and my mother for two gods beside Allah'?" He will say: "Glory to Thee! Never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my heart, though I know not what in Thine. For Thou knowest in full all that is hidden. [Qur'an 5:116]

^The problem with this is that the Qur'an claims that we Christians believe that Mary and Jesus are two gods besides Allah. We do not. Mary is a normal human who was exalted and greatly honored for her cooperation with God. And Christians say that Jesus is one Allah with the Father and the Holy Spirit--in fact, Antiochian Orthodox Christians will always say "In the name of the Father and of the Son (i.e. Jesus) and of the Holy Spirit, one God. (or, if you prefer, one Allah)."

I see what you mean here. I think this is not the case of all Christians and not all of them see the same thing you are saying.

Here is a link that explains it

Is the Noble Quran wrong regarding Mary?

Another problematic verse is this one:

They do blaspheme who say: Allah is one of three in a Trinity: for there is no god except One Allah. If they desist not from their word (of blasphemy), verily a grievous penalty will befall the blasphemers among them. (5:73)

^Again, Christians do not say that Allah is one of three in a Trinity. Allah IS the three of the Trinity, and the three of the Trinity are one Allah, one in essence and undivided.

That is also subject to many Christians, however, the point here is the concept itself how 3 are 1 or 1 are 3 or whatever.

I think it is about the concept here.

(Continued)

Sabour

And then there's the part about Ezra:
The Jews call `Uzair a son of Allah, and the Christians call Christ the son of Allah. That is the saying from their mouth; (In this) they are intimate; what the Unbelievers of the old used to say. Allah's curse be on them: how they are deluded away from the truth. (Qur'an 9:30)

The thing is, no Jew that I've ever heard of, either from the present or from the past, has ever said any such thing. This would be blasphemy in Judaism, and strictly forbidden. Unless one can prove that there was a group of heretical Jews that called Ezra the Son of God, this verse is completely wrong. At the very least, it is partially wrong, because the vast majority of Jews do not believe this, nor have they ever believed it.

I don't know a lot of information about that, I can only provide this link about the subject

Is Uzair the son of God?

I was more talking about stuff like Muhammad being the Holy Spirit that Jesus promised, or the claim that the Holy Spirit from Matthew 1:18 is the angel Gabriel.

Maybe you are right about that. But from where we stand, somethings said by Jesus peace be upon him makes it clear that he was not talking about a spirit.

Still you have a point here.

Watched 'em.

Great.

Sabour

One-Answer said:

This is not the first time I've heard this claim. I have three different translations of the Quran - all made by brilliant people who devoted their lives to the task. None of these translations strike me as anywhere near miraculous. I have read many, many better books.

So, in what way do you view the Quran as containing miraculous writing?

An agnostic Jew can answer you to that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y2Or0LlO6g

Tabb

I have seen that argument being raised before, but I don't think it is very convincing. For better or worse, Islam and Christianity exist on the same planet and do in fact pay a lot of attention to each other.

We are not talking about parallel, unrelated development histories.

My response was only pertaining to the use of arabic in translations to English. It was the first part of my response that was answering the remark that I responded to. The second part of my response was just pertaining to the use of Arabic in translations.

However let me say this, there's a tendency to compare cultures by their industrial capacity. The advancements made in technology some how speaks to how far a culture has come. Things like racism, sexism , and civilized behavior is overlooked if a culture has big shiny buildings, gadgets, and big military forces. Western culture is in no position to judge other cultures with the history of it's own. To judge a peoples reaction to oppression that the West is responsible for is ludicrous.

Tabb

It's like you said: given that Christians spilled lots of blood in the past, nowadays other religions are legitimized to do the same.
As a Christian (and like all Christians) I acknowledge that Crusades are the emblem of backwardness, barbarity, ignorance. Organized by people who were not Christians, but bloody warriors
And I reject them as a part of Christianity. Which is about "Love your enemies"
I reject all the atrocities committed by the Catholic Church: they were Satan's work, of course. (the real history of Catholicism begins after the Second Vatican Council. 50 years ago)

I also expect other religions to reject the atrocities of the past. And by the way, this thread is about the present

I think you see that happening now. The majority of the Muslim World reject the gratuitous violence that is happening in the middle east. However the West need to take responsibility for their own shenanigans in the middle east that's causing the voolence in the first place.

MD

qualiaphile
My response was only pertaining to the use of arabic in translations to English. It was the first part of my response that was answering the remark that I responded to. The second part of my response was just pertaining to the use of Arabic in translations.

However let me say this, there's a tendency to compare cultures by their industrial capacity. The advancements made in technology some how speaks to how far a culture has come. Things like racism, sexism , and civilized behavior is overlooked if a culture has big shiny buildings, gadgets, and big military forces. Western culture is in no position to judge other cultures with the history of it's own. To judge a peoples reaction to oppression that the West is responsible for is ludicrous.

That's such a ******** idea that it makes me wonder whether you're actually an agnostic or a fanatic parading as one.

There have LOTS of genocides in the history of Islam which had nothing to do with Western intervention. The slave trade was started by Arabs and they traded twice as many African slaves as the Europeans did. The genocides of religious minorities has happened for hundreds of years in the middle east before Western intervention.

And the West has movements which question and try to stop its wars. Does the Islamic world have the same?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think you see that happening now. The majority of the Muslim World reject the gratuitous violence that is happening in the middle east. However the West need to take responsibility for their own shenanigans in the middle east that's causing the voolence in the first place.

I don't understand why it is so difficult for you to blame backwardness.
In fact lots of Christian missionaries are murdered in African countries. They only provide food and healthcare. They were killed because they were Christians
Should we blame religion for that? No. We blame mysticism and backwardness.
But if you don't start rejecting backwardness and tradition, things won't ever change.

Sabour

I thought they were atheists and followers of religions other than Islam?

That is one thing that muslim scholars don't talk illustrate enough.

There are two types of non muslims.

Those who, although have put an effort to know the truth, were not convinced by Islam because of misrepresentation of facts or because they were beyong reach.

And those who know the truth about Islam and don't follow because of their pride. Or they even don't care about God at all and are not seeking the truth.

The mentioned verses talk about the first group

As for the second group, these people won't be judged by hell because simply it wasn't because of their own hands. But rather they will be tested on the day of Judgement and judged accordingly.

One thing is for sure is that no one would question the justice of Allah even know the intentions of people.

outhouse

Atheistically
People don't understand that religion is the result of a deep and inner psychological process, that induces you to believe in a beliefs system and to reject another one.

In fact, Greece, after almost 4 centuries of Turkish domination, it remained Christian. Violence and oppression cannot change people's hearts

Level of fanaticism there is the worse then that in the USA.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I was referring instead to the novelty of certain ideas. For better or worse, much of what Christianity took so long to learn and accept is already readily available for the Islamic world to consider today.

outhouse

Atheistically
I was referring instead to the novelty of certain ideas. For better or worse, much of what Christianity took so long to learn and accept is already readily available for the Islamic world to consider today.

The Christian religion has evolved forward more so then islam. It has started to ditch the literal interpretation of mythology.

But there is still room for much improvement. There are still many YEC that refuse reality.

The difference is our fundamentalist are not anywhere as close to as violent as islam. The cultures are not as primitive as many places in the middle east is one aspect.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That is one thing that muslim scholars don't talk illustrate enough.

There are two types of non muslims.

Those who, although have put an effort to know the truth, were not convinced by Islam because of misrepresentation of facts or because they were beyong reach.

I suppose "being beyond reach" includes those who find Islam unconvincing.

And those who know the truth about Islam and don't follow because of their pride. Or they even don't care about God at all and are not seeking the truth.

What about us atheists who care about (the concept of) god and are indeed seeking the truth? It feels like we should be in both groups, but the second is incomplete on purpose.

The mentioned verses talk about the first group

At this point I don't even know whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

In any case, the distinction is less than useful, since it is so hopelessly arbitrary.

As for the second group, these people won't be judged by hell because simply it wasn't because of their own hands. But rather they will be tested on the day of Judgement and judged accordingly.

Good. This Allah fella has some complaints coming his way, and the sooner the better. :D

One thing is for sure is that no one would question the justice of Allah even know the intentions of people.

A justice that can't be questioned is not worth bothering with.

Come to think of it, so are deities.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The difference is our fundamentalist are not anywhere as close to as violent as islam.

From where I stand they seem to be in fact quite worse. Their moral senses have certainly degenerated quite badly. It is everyone's luck that they exist in social environments that are not so very receptive to their inanities anymore.

The cultures are not as primitive as many places in the middle east is one aspect.

That, I think, is one reason why Christian fundamentalists must be judged that much harder than Muslim ones.

Reactions: MD

outhouse

Atheistically
From where I stand they seem to be in fact quite worse. Their moral senses have certainly degenerated quite badly. It is everyone's luck that they exist in social environments that are not so very receptive to their inanities anymore.

Their fight against education and knowledge is so pathetic and should be stopped.

I have not seen the violence though from my seat in Ca.

That, I think, is one reason why Christian fundamentalists must be judged that much harder than Muslim ones.

Agreed.

Fanaticism is blind unto itself. And that is no excuse either

Sabour

I suppose "being beyond reach" includes those who find Islam unconvincing.

What I meant by being beyond reach is that no one talked with them about Islam or didn't know about it.

What about us atheists who care about (the concept of) god and are indeed seeking the truth? It feels like we should be in both groups, but the second is incomplete on purpose.

Well Allah would judge each one accordingly according to intentions and actions. No one is in position to judge.

At this point I don't even know whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

In any case, the distinction is less than useful, since it is so hopelessly arbitrary.

I didn't know what you mean by that, But God knows about us more than we know about ourselves

Good. This Allah fella has some complaints coming his way, and the sooner the better. :D

Who are we talking about here :run::run:

A justice that can't be questioned is not worth bothering with.

Come to think of it, so are deities.

Maybe this is how you view it, now.

I would agree to your sentence had the judge been a man.