• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your saved as soon as you accept jesus.

Yes

Oh how I love the Word of God!
You are interpreting and imposing that interpretation upon others.
Where did you get your authority to teach?

I would say you are nothing but a modern day Pharisee.
Satan has only left you with insults and lies to do his work.

You do not even know what a Pharisee is.

The Pharisees and teachers of the law were the only ones who did not get water baptized.

I have been water baptized.

The Pharisees and teachers of the law would not acknowledge Jesus publicly.

I acknowledge Jesus publicly.

the Pharisees would not admit to being sinners.

Jesus would not have saved me if I had not admitted to being a sinner.

Theodore A. Jones

Possibly, but after telling me several times to "Check out". I should have "left well enough alone", and "It's gunna be too late for me". Maybe before talking down to another, you should wait to see what they have to say first. Then maybe you can help people along the way to the "proper path."

Thanks for the offer, but I don't want to listen to someone who is condescending.
Very well.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
What I am saying is you are condemning an entire philosophy/line of thinking, for the actions of the minority. Yes, some people have issues and use religion as a way to forcibly control and push their views onto others through threat of violence and repercussions. But it is still in the minority.
Should these people be rooted out and dealt with, of course. I am part of a group that does just that. Should an entire worldview be condemned? No.

No, I'm saying that that line of thinking has problems inherent in it. There are dangers that exist, simply because people follow that path. It isn't true of everyone, it isn't true of most, but it is true of some and the only reason it is true is because that philosophical position cannot be rationally justified. You cannot say "this is true because of A, B, and C". It's just "if it feels good, do it" with no inherent limitations to when people ought to stop doing it.

I'm arguing that "if it feels good, do it" is an insufficient reason to actually do something.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
No, I'm saying that that line of thinking has problems inherent in it. There are dangers that exist, simply because people follow that path. It isn't true of everyone, it isn't true of most, but it is true of some and the only reason it is true is because that philosophical position cannot be rationally justified. You cannot say "this is true because of A, B, and C". It's just "if it feels good, do it" with no inherent limitations to when people ought to stop doing it.

I'm arguing that "if it feels good, do it" is an insufficient reason to actually do something.

Maybe, but humans always will go with what feels good. I mean why do we draw, listen to music, write poetry. They are emotional outlets, and they feel good. Religion is the same.

But some people abuse it, the same way people abuse many things. The extremists, the zealots, the terrorists all need to be dealt with. But using that as a way to incriminate an entire worldview, is a little bit of a stretch.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Maybe, but humans always will go with what feels good. I mean why do we draw, listen to music, write poetry. They are emotional outlets, and they feel good. Religion is the same.

But some people abuse it, the same way people abuse many things. The extremists, the zealots, the terrorists all need to be dealt with. But using that as a way to incriminate an entire worldview, is a little bit of a stretch.

That's like saying "humans will always kill each other, therefore we should just ignore it!" That's a foolish way to look at things and one that's wholly irrational as well. Just because people do it doesn't mean people ought to do it. People steal from each other too. People rape each other. People burn down their neighbors' property. All you're arguing for is argumentum ad populum, the fallacy from popularity.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
That's like saying "humans will always kill each other, therefore we should just ignore it!" That's a foolish way to look at things and one that's wholly irrational as well. Just because people do it doesn't mean people ought to do it. People steal from each other too. People rape each other. People burn down their neighbors' property. All you're arguing for is argumentum ad populum, the fallacy from popularity.

How is it that I am arguing "for popularity". By saying that yes people do these things, and yes these people need to be stopped?

It isn't religion driving these people to kill, it's a screwed up mind looking for an excuse. If not religion it will be something else. Extremism is a problem, of any sort, and it needs to be confronted and stopped.

AllanV

Possibly not. But I am not out to impress others. I am out to take care of myself, those close to me, and those that I hold dear within the circles listed above.

Kids do grow into teenagers, that is definitely a fact of life. Are you getting at the fact that teens are rebellious by nature? Sure they are, but I don't see ow that correlates to anything.

Teenagers tend to get what they want and they can make a parent feel bad, guilty, good, mean, all sorts of feelings and that ability is in adults and in fact all of Adam's genetic and hereditary line. This is the crux of what the bible is about that the nature we all take for granted brings death. Rebelliousness and mental power we exert toward each other with emphasis in the words in conversation hides God in the mind.
The nature of Jesus if found is energized by God because it is full of Love and demands nothing. This is not superficial it has much depth and this nature with God's energizing of the Love in it leads to immortality because God is a life giving Spirit.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Teenagers tend to get what they want and they can make a parent feel bad, guilty, good, mean, all sorts of feelings and that ability is in adults and in fact all of Adam's genetic and hereditary line. This is the crux of what the bible is about that the nature we all take for granted brings death. Rebelliousness and mental power we exert toward each other with emphasis in the words in conversation hides God in the mind.
The nature of Jesus if found is energized by God because it is full of Love and demands nothing. This is not superficial it has much depth and this nature with God's energizing of the Love in it leads to immortality because God is a life giving Spirit.

I see. Well, thank you for the explanation.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
So we should take the bible's advice and kill them when they disobey?

nothead

People think there is some process to go through, but it isn't the case. All one has to do is accept Jesus, and their saved. No magic ceremonies required.

Thanks

No process, no Covenant. Salvation as a dead end, is just that. You are SAVED initially to enter into covenant with God.
AND when the Spirit comes, from the absolute bonds of sin and death. Now you go...where?

Um where the Paraclete leads? Why a Judgement for believers if initial Salvation is a done deal? A moot ceremony with no real substance? No mortal sin possible for ANY who sin after they are initially come into covenant?

Do you realize this attitude is the very IMPETUS of lukewarm Christians the world over? Those who WILL be spewed from the Mouth of God?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
People think there is some process to go through, but it isn't the case. All one has to do is accept Jesus, and their saved. No magic ceremonies required.
Typical snake-oil selling technique to create/restore sexual potency. We meet them on every street corner in India.

serp777

Adam never existed. He doesn't have a hereditary line. You're probably referring to mitochondrial Adam, which is now the prevailing genetic code found in the mitochondria of most humans. However, Mitochondrial eve was not his partner, and likely didn't exist at the same time, and there were always about 1000 humans in existence in order to keep the gene pool diverse enough. Either way there was no such thing as Adam and Eve frolicking in a forest as the first humans.

And what is the energizing love mumbo jumbo? And energizing love leads to immortality because God is a life giving spirit? I fail to see how energizing love is relevant to immortality or how this makes sense what so ever.