• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40% of Americans belive the world was created 6000-years ago

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
According to what GOD has revealed in HIS HOLY WORD, the entire universe is unlikely to be over 12000 years old. That is arrived with a possible hint at one day equalling one thousand years or visa versa. I tend to accept that the universe is likely no more than 6000 earth years old. The problem is that GOD saw fit to qualify HIS WORD with "evening and morning" being the defining of the day. Wherever it is used in Hebrew, it always means an approximate 24 hour period.

I am a Christian. I believe the Bible is true, but I don't believe the whole thing is literal. If you will notice, Jesus spoke to people in parables when he taught them. I assume that if Jesus spoke in parables then the prophets of the OT spoke and wrote with some parables, too. When the creation story and Adam and Eve stories were passed on by word of mouth, they were apparently spoken in a symbolic form. That is my opinion and the way I interpret it.

Even if you don't agree with this, I think it deserves a little thought.

AzraelsTear

I am a Christian. I believe the Bible is true, but I don't believe the whole thing is literal. If you will notice, Jesus spoke to people in parables when he taught them. I assume that if Jesus spoke in parables then the prophets of the OT spoke and wrote with some parables, too. When the creation story and Adam and Eve stories were passed on by word of mouth, they were apparently spoken in a symbolic form. That is my opinion and the way I interpret it.

look at this in this way, if you believe gravity is not true, does that make it so?

LittleNipper

Let's take a look, shall we?

We know the universe nearly 14 billion years in age. We know the earth is nearly 5 billion. Wow, nearly 10 billion years difference, that's a loooooong day.

Your bible claims the stars came AFTER the earth, on "day" three. Do you seriously believe the earth is older than the stars?

Your bible claims that life began on the land. We know this to be false, life began in the oceans.

Your bible claims, in book one, that the animals came all at the same time, including livestock (book 2 claims man came first, BTW). We know this to be patently false. Livestock are a human invention, developed through breeding programs, and we have dated fossils showing when species developed and if applicable, when they died out.

And this is the short list.

"We" know, no such thing. What you have listed as "We" know, are assumptions founded in human logic concerning what has been extrapolated from what "we" think "we perceive" today.

Cattle, dogs, flowers, etc., have been mated to achieve controlled variations within their kinds. Man has never been able to achieve an entirely new kind, even when he actively interacts in the breeding process...

The very old fossils(those whose bone has been fully replaced with mineral) are dated considering where they are found in the strata. The minerals are not going to provide an honest chemical age of the once living thing (if a chemical age is really accuate, and not contrived from applied assumptions to begin with)

LittleNipper

It would if anyone who didn't believe in it would float away. :D

We may think we understand why gravity is, what it is, and how it works; but an honest person will shrug his shoulders and admit that the earth spins at approx. 1037.5646 miles per hour and yet humans would have a difficult time standing up to a hurricane wind in excess of 100 miles per hour. :D

johnhanks

We may think we understand why gravity is, what it is, and how it works...
Actually, scientists think none of these things. We can describe in great detail what it does; but what it is, why it is and how it works are unknown or at best incompletely modeled.

Mr Cheese

To be fair, this is true for just about any book.

more so with scripture....

although...

I have found a group online that works with a form of Hermeticism, using the harry potter books as a guide :facepalm: up to them of course....

But I think this seperates scripture from say a Danielle Steele book....

no offense to Fabio

Mr Cheese

does anyone know the history of APPLES? because the bible says eve ate from a apple, but arent they domseticated apples? cant be older then a couple of thousands of years? i dont know i am asking?

Iterestingly in at least one other version it is a pomegranite not an apple
Pomegranites of course are native in the middle east..apples arent

Jewish mystical texts also refer to gardens of pommigranites...not apples

dust1n

Zindīq
According to what GOD has revealed in HIS HOLY WORD, the entire universe is unlikely to be over 12000 years old. That is arrived with a possible hint at one day equalling one thousand years or visa versa. I tend to accept that the universe is likely no more than 6000 earth years old. The problem is that GOD saw fit to qualify HIS WORD with "evening and morning" being the defining of the day. Wherever it is used in Hebrew, it always means an approximate 24 hour period.

Wow, it must be a lot of hard work and very time consuming to perpetuate your ignorance of geology.

dust1n

Zindīq
Man has never been able to achieve an entirely new kind, even when he actively interacts in the breeding process...

baby_cow.jpg

FDA OKs 1st drug from genetically altered animals // Current

dust1n

Zindīq
more so with scripture....

although...

I have found a group online that works with a form of Hermeticism, using the harry potter books as a guide :facepalm: up to them of course....

But I think this seperates scripture from say a Danielle Steele book....

no offense to Fabio

LOL ... I'm trying to conceive why you would use Harry Potter books as a 'guide' to anything. It's not even a guide, it's a story!

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
"We" know, no such thing. What you have listed as "We" know, are assumptions founded in human logic concerning what has been extrapolated from what "we" think "we perceive" today.

Cattle, dogs, flowers, etc., have been mated to achieve controlled variations within their kinds. Man has never been able to achieve an entirely new kind, even when he actively interacts in the breeding process...

The very old fossils(those whose bone has been fully replaced with mineral) are dated considering where they are found in the strata. The minerals are not going to provide an honest chemical age of the once living thing (if a chemical age is really accuate, and not contrived from applied assumptions to begin with)

We "know" through the Scientific Method, observation, measurements, repeatable and predictable results, and peer review as well.

Centuries of this process has resulted in What We Know, some of which I listed in the post you replied to above.

In other words, What We Know are Scientific Facts, not the unfounded religious fiction as you subscribe to, such as "kinds".

Feel more than free to show what breeding programs have ever sought to create new species, as opposed to healthier and disease resistant livestock, meatier and more tasty fowl and beef, increased milk production, and other such programs.

Also, there are several dating techniques used to date fossils. And the plethora of peer reviewed dating, DNA/RNA data, and other disciplines illustrate just exactly how wrong you are.

Mr Cheese

LOL ... I'm trying to conceive why you would use Harry Potter books as a 'guide' to anything. It's not even a guide, it's a story!

well they use harry potter to describe the process of alchemy...
and the Gnostic cosmological view, which is essentially that we are trapped in a world run by satan and his minions and that we are seekign to leave....

of course this si symbolic and literal....
If you understand some of the basics of alchemy it would perhaps be clearer...

What is Harry Potter really about?

The aim of Harry Potter is to show how death can be vanquished; how an ordinary mortal human being can enter a process of transmutation and transfiguration that will alchemically transform him or her into an eternal, perfect child of God, filled with overwhelming compassion for suffering humanity.
All the characters are symbols or personifications of aspects of the process, symbolically called, "making the Philosopher's Stone". With this stone the alchemist can make gold, i.e. the Gold of the Spirit, and the Elixir of Life, i.e. eternal life.

It is the aim of this website to inform the world that the most popular book ever published tells the most beautiful story ever told: the return home of the Prodigal Son to the arms of the Father. We hope you enjoy your visit to our site and that we have succeeded in showing the depth and intensity of the spiritual power emanating from Harry Potter.

Harry Potter For Seekers - Spirituality in Harry Potter, Alchemy in Harry potter

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
Iterestingly in at least one other version it is a pomegranite not an apple
Pomegranites of course are native in the middle east..apples arent

Jewish mystical texts also refer to gardens of pommigranites...not apples

The Malus Sylvestris and Malus Sieversii are both wild species found in Central Asia and parts of the Middle East, and are certainly well old enough to have been known to the writers of the Torah and Bible.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
well they use harry potter to describe the process of alchemy...
and the Gnostic cosmological view, which is essentially that we are trapped in a world run by satan and his minions and that we are seekign to leave....

of course this si symbolic and literal....
If you understand some of the basics of alchemy it would perhaps be clearer...

What is Harry Potter really about?

The aim of Harry Potter is to show how death can be vanquished; how an ordinary mortal human being can enter a process of transmutation and transfiguration that will alchemically transform him or her into an eternal, perfect child of God, filled with overwhelming compassion for suffering humanity.
All the characters are symbols or personifications of aspects of the process, symbolically called, "making the Philosopher's Stone". With this stone the alchemist can make gold, i.e. the Gold of the Spirit, and the Elixir of Life, i.e. eternal life.

It is the aim of this website to inform the world that the most popular book ever published tells the most beautiful story ever told: the return home of the Prodigal Son to the arms of the Father. We hope you enjoy your visit to our site and that we have succeeded in showing the depth and intensity of the spiritual power emanating from Harry Potter.

Harry Potter For Seekers - Spirituality in Harry Potter, Alchemy in Harry potter

If you're looking to be taken seriosuly, perhaps you shouldn't use sites like this one.

All I see there are a bunch of loonies taken for a ride down Fantasy Lane.

Mr Cheese

If you're looking to be taken seriosuly, perhaps you shouldn't use sites like this one.

All I see there are a bunch of loonies taken for a ride down Fantasy Lane.

well I stand corrected on the apples...

However this site is run by one of the lead members of the International Golden Rosicrucian society (Haans something I forget, I have spoken to him many times online), based in Europe (Lectorium Rosicrucinum, an off shoot of Heindel (you do know who Heindel is right?) with a focus on more Gnostic approach to Hermetcism, IE NO MAGICK, than most hermeticisits today). A well respected group, whose members include the head of the Hermetic Library in Europe. The lectorium claim spiritual lineanage with the Cathars, Bogomills and Manichaeans.....

So nope, sorry not a bunch of kooks. Perhaps is you actually knew anything about Alchemy you would see this werbsite is far more than you suppose it is.

But I suspect all of that is beyond you...although i could be wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lectorium_Rosicrucianum

Summa Scientia Nihil Scire ;)

brons.jpg

Last edited:

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
well I stand corrected on the apples...

However this site is run by one of the lead members of the International Golden Rosicrucian society (Haans something I forget, I have spoken to him many times online), based in Europe (Lectorium Rosicrucinum, an off shoot of Heindel (you do know who Heindel is right?) with a focus on more Gnostic approach to Hermetcism, IE NO MAGICK, than most hermeticisits today). A well respected group, whose members include the head of the Hermetic Library in Europe. The lectorium claim spiritual lineanage with the Cathars, Bogomills and Manichaeans.....

So nope, sorry not a bunch of kooks. Perhaps is you actually knew anything about Alchemy you would see this werbsite is far more than you suppose it is.

But I suspect all of that is beyond you...although i could be wrong.

Lectorium Rosicrucianum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Summa Scientia Nihil Scire ;)

brons.jpg

I am well aware of Hans Andréa and his group, and kooks about sums it up.

This rather "interesting" (read as far fetched BS) they read into simple fantasy novels proves this.

And the author is STILL ALIVE for pity's sake.

Mr Cheese

I am well aware of Hans Andréa and his group, and kooks about sums it up.

This rather "interesting" (read as far fetched BS) they read into simple fantasy novels proves this.

And the author is STILL ALIVE for pity's sake.

kooks?

well i dont agree with the harry potter thing...but it does illustrate how one can take an allegory and apply it elsewhere....

because actually the story of CRC is the same as Christ, Buddha and others....

How is the lectorium a bunch of kooks in your estimation?

LittleNipper

I believe JESUS often spoke using parables. However, a parable doesn't have to be a made up story. It can just as well be a true store that fits the point one is trying to convey. The book of Genesis has always traditionally been considered a history book by the Hebrews. This is true of the first five books of the Bible. JESUS never has recorded anything contrary to that effect. HE speaks of the last days as HE speaks of Noah. But thank you for your opinion.