• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion is never justifiable, even in rape cases

Me Myself

Back to my username
Mm, Well.
Let someone shove a baby you don't want in your belly, Then have the law force you to give birth to it.

Then we'll see what your newly informed perspective is :)

Oh I am sure there are cases in which I would like to do morally wrong things.

If someone raped my kids (provided i had them) I would surely want to personally torture and kill said person.

That doesnt mean a more rational me that is not in such a hard position is in favor of torture.

Just because someone desperate wants to do something doesnt mean that something is correct.

I would definetely not cathegorize desperation as "knowledge" in a case such as this.

Mm, Well.
Let someone shove a baby you don't want in your belly, Then have the law force you to give birth to it.

Then we'll see what your newly informed perspective is :)
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]While such a scenario might be useful to cultivate empathy, when it comes[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] down to actual decision-making, a tranquil perspective is likely going to bear
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]far more constructive results than a turbulent one.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It's interesting, though, how often people seem to assume that despair is a
better tool
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]for heavy decision-making than an a calmer, more objective
outlook is.
[/FONT]
:yes:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]-
[/FONT]

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]While such a scenario might be useful to cultivate empathy, when it comes[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] down to actual decision-making, a tranquil perspective is likely going to bear
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]far more constructive results than a turbulent one.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It's interesting, though, how often people seem to assume that despair is a
better tool
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]for heavy decision-making than an a calmer, more objective
outlook is.
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

I think Thana makes a legitimate point. Much of the public discussion of abortion tends to dismiss what women go through as somehow objectively meaningless or of only slight interest.

Thana

Lady
[/FONT]

better tool
[/FONT]
outlook is.
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

I wasn't trying to cultivate any emotion,
Rather my point was, Until you're in the situation, Your opinion is uneducated and uninformed.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think Thana makes a legitimate point. Much of the public discussion of abortion tends to dismiss what women go through as somehow objectively meaningless or of only slight interest.

It mostly is.

Killing someone innocent can be an understandable action in cases of desperation, I can totally get it, but it has no bearing on the morality of the issue.

I can completely inderstand how much someone might want to capture and torture someone that raped him/her, that doesnt mean I think courts should allow the victim some minutes with his victimizer while this one being tied and the victim having surgical tools at hir dispossal.

As much as I might understand rage and fwelings of helplessness and the desire of revenge. It just has no bearing on morality.

Thana

Lady
It mostly is.

Killing someone innocent can be an understandable action in cases of desperation, I can totally get it, but it has no bearing on the morality of the issue.

I can completely inderstand how much someone might want to capture and torture someone that raped him/her, that doesnt mean I think courts should allow the victim some minutes with his victimizer while this one being tied and the victim having surgical tools at hir dispossal.

As much as I might understand rage and fwelings of helplessness and the desire of revenge. It just has no bearing on morality.

Morality is subjective.
There is no moral universal truth.

So what you say is moral, Does not make it moral. :shrug:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Rather my point was, Until you're in the situation, Your opinion is uneducated and uninformed.

D you believe it should be legal for rape victims to be given a lawful opportunity to torture their victimizers ater they are caught?

Do you think torturing someone as a means of feeling better or satiatw revenge is morally acceptable?

I can garantee you a lot of people havw felt like doing this things after horrible things done to them or their loved ones and I could completely understand the savagety they could sink to after what they ve been through, but I wouldnt cathegoriza that as moral.

Understandinh the pain is useful for comforting the victim and being there for hir. Its not useful for determining the moral validity of killing an inocent though.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Morality is subjective.

I wonder if I am confusing you with someone... Where you the one saying in anothe thread that everything is subjective and you wouldnt bother with that sort of discussion?

Thana

Lady
D you believe it should be legal for rape victims to be given a lawful opportunity to torture their victimizers ater they are caught?

Do you think torturing someone as a means of feeling better or satiatw revenge is morally acceptable?

I can garantee you a lot of people havw felt like doing this things after horrible things done to them or their loved ones and I could completely understand the savagety they could sink to after what they ve been through, but I wouldnt cathegoriza that as moral.

Understandinh the pain is useful for comforting the victim and being there for hir. Its not useful for determining the moral validity of killing an inocent though.

I'll refer you to my last post

Morality is subjective.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Yeah.
So? :shrug:

Not much, I find it insteresting that your last resource of discussion is "well, you disagree with me, so its just subjective"

:shrug:

Yes, morality is subjective. By that same token the rapist is subjectively a hero and the victim totally diserved it :rolleyes:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
I think Thana makes a legitimate point. Much of
the public discussion of abortion tends to dismiss what women go through as
somehow objectively meaningless or of only slight interest.

Rather my point was, Until you're in the situation, Your opinion is uneducated
and uninformed.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Oh I agree totally. When forming and/or sharing an [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]opinion[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif], [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]empathy
(whether acquired through personal experience of the same trauma or
through the gift of empathy itself)
is useful; it's key in understanding the
situation, whether one has actually been through it or not.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My point was that the strong emotion that comes with such
understanding/empathizing stops being useful in the actual situation in which
decision-making takes place. Ideally, the 'newly formed perspective' Thana
mentioned as the result of experiencing any traumatic situation will lead to
constructive results once one's despair-based impulses have calmed down,
rather than further damage brought about by blind despair.

It's just basic psychology - a calm mind is more likely to come up with more
wholesome solutions than a distressed one would. Or, even if the solutions
would be the same whether the person was distressed or not, at least they
come away knowing they gave their decision some thought and didn't
do it in a fit of blind panic, rage, etc.
[/FONT]

But yes -- when it comes to armchair-quarterbacking others' lives, having
been in the others guy's shoes (or at least having a degree of empathic
ability)
before throwing about opinions is indeed preferable.

-

Last edited:

Thana

Lady
By the way, how can you know rape is bad? Have you considered the rapists poiint of view?

I believe that unless you have personally raped someone you are speaking from ignorance.

I can see the effect rape has on a person.
You can't really see the effect abortion has on the baby.