• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion is never justifiable, even in rape cases

Sonofason

The baby's life is more important than the mothers' , as he/she is a new product of God.

That is absurd. The value of a human life is completely subjective with regard to human beliefs. If my wife were raped, I would value the life of the rapist so little that I would find it very easy to utterly destroy him. You see it yourself here; there are those who believe that an unborn child isn't even a person yet. How can we tell such people they are wrong? How will you convince them that you are right?

Adultery was punishable by death in Old Testament Biblical times. So why did Jesus forgive the adulterous woman who was caught in adultery? Why did He not condemn her to death, the prescribed by God punishment for adultery?

We are all depraved, and we are all in need of God's forgiveness. Judge not, lest you be judged in the same manner in which you judge others.

Sonofason

मैत्रावरुणिः;3589426 said:
Why are disgusting threads like this allowed to be posted?!?! The OP is indirectly supporting pro-rape! Disgusting!!

No, that is not true. The OP is adamantly against abortion. His position has nothing at all to do with rape. That is you trying to demonize him for his beliefs.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
No, that is not true. The OP is adamantly against abortion. His position has nothing at all to do with rape. That is you trying to demonize him for his beliefs.

Opposing abortion even in cases of rape arguably encourages at least some rapists.

Sonofason

If some person who is a complete stranger to you was dying and the only way so save this person's life was a bone marrow transplant and you were that person's only match should you be forced to make the donation and get stuck with the bill? Knowing full well that if you refuse that the person will die?

It's the least I could do.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
Anybody know when basic brain activity sarts in a fetus? I've been trying to look it up, but all a get is hardcore pro-choice, or hardcore pro-life cites, and I don't really trust either of them, and they both present total crap evidence for their claim.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, I believe that it is very wrong for a person to even consider abortion. I cannot think of a single justification for putting innocent unborn children to death, and depriving them of their life. But I cannot call it murder. Murder is the illegal killing of another human being. Abortion is legal. If it is conceivable that My God is capable of forgiving a woman for putting her own child to death, then perhaps I could show some compassion for such a person myself.

If it is against God's will that a woman should kill her own child, and if there should be a punishment ascribed to such a person, then I must leave it in the hands of God.

Would medical risk to mother count as a potential justification in your mind?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You could use the same analogy for toddlers.

Toddlers don't fly well, even when fully built. First thing I noticed was that I had to run REALLY fast to get them off the ground, even in a strong wind. Second thing was that the kite string I used just wasn't strong enough. And the less said about the third thing, the better.
(weeeeee... splat!)

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Abortion is wrong, even when a woman is raped because it is not the child's fault.

If God wills a child to be born then so be it, the manner of conception is up to Him.

Women having abortions and their doctors should be punished.

I believe that is fair, do you?

No, I do not agree.

You exhibit a child's' mind, and a believer's individualized delusion of self-importance.

Next?

What if Mary did not wish to be impregnated against Her will by the almighty, and stuck a stick up her cootie to end it all right then? No Jesus. No savior born of a virgin to redeem anyone.

Now what?

Um, maybe one of the other religions with similar forecasts/premonitions/prophecies of "virgin birth" would have emerged instead?

Does it really matter?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
With every human pregnancy, there is a risk to the mother.

Yep. Let's say my wife is raped, the baby is going to die at birth, and the act of birthing the child will probably kill my wife, apart from the mental anguish. Any justification for abortion in this case?

AmbiguousGuy

Yep. Let's say my wife is raped, the baby is going to die at birth, and the act of birthing the child will probably kill my wife, apart from the mental anguish. Any justification for abortion in this case?

A fine example upon which to preach my sermon about language controlling us.

If we know that 'abortion is immoral,' and you ask me if abortion is the right choice in a specific case, my urge for linguistic consistency may compel me to answer that "Since abortion is wrong, your wife may not abort."

In such cases, we should ask if we may 'terminate the pregnancy'.

Sees

Dragonslayer
It's all about having a big boy (or big girl) version of philosophy/spirituality. Absolute dogma doesn't make the cut and you may need to adapt/modify at times like everything else in nature.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
A fine example upon which to preach my sermon about language controlling us.

If we know that 'abortion is immoral,' and you ask me if abortion is the right choice in a specific case, my urge for linguistic consistency may compel me to answer that "Since abortion is wrong, your wife may not abort."

In such cases, we should ask if we may 'terminate the pregnancy'.

Personally, whilst I can appreciate the difference linguistic subtlety can make, I keep things pretty simple. So, for me, Sees kinda had a good point when he talked about the problem with absolute dogma.

I can think of situations where I wholeheartedly support abortion. I can also think of situations where I don't at the opposite end of the spectrum. (eg. elective late-term abortion). So, for me, it comes down to determination of where black and white meet, and how much grey there is.

AmbiguousGuy

Personally, whilst I can appreciate the difference linguistic subtlety can make, I keep things pretty simple. So, for me, Sees kinda had a good point when he talked about the problem with absolute dogma.

I can think of situations where I wholeheartedly support abortion. I can also think of situations where I don't at the opposite end of the spectrum. (eg. elective late-term abortion). So, for me, it comes down to determination of where black and white meet, and how much grey there is.

Sure. But I was talking about people who see it differently. Some are controlled by the language. Abortion is abortion -- which is, of course, abortion.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure. But I was talking about people who see it differently. Some are controlled by the language. Abortion is abortion -- which is, of course, abortion.

lol

When I read your initial comment, I kinda figured it could be taken two ways. Let's just assume I took it the wrong way.

;)