• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Issue Of Valuing The Lives Of Others

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Part way thru your post, inspiration to
address the inhumanity of it evaporated.
We've no common ground for discussion.
We tried. We failed.
When you say “inhumanity” - the root word is “humanity”. When you only address Palestinians at the expense of Israelis, it is no longer “common” ground… it is biased ground

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I think we're all failing, to some extent.

I would love to post "what I think should be done," but I don't know what should be done. I don't think anybody does, so we all take sides and strike attitudes based on our personal biases.

Could we agree, for example, that those who can be proved to be members of Hamas should be tried for war crimes? I mean, many nations already recognize that they are a terrorist organization -- and I think that was demonstrated on October 7 in Israel, and is still being demonstrated as they hide among civilian Palestinians.

My suspicion, right now, is that Israel is going to stay in Gaza, and try to root out Hamas. I think that they will stay after they've done that (to the extent they can), and once done, I can hope that they'll try to help the Gaza Palestinians to try to regroup. But if they do that, I don't see a way for them to leave, which means probably abandoning a two-state solution and moving towards making the Gazans into "Israeli citizens," with the vote and all the priveleges and duties that come with that. There are, after all, already many Palestinian citizens of Israel in Israel.

Further than that, my imagination fails. But don't some of the rest of you have any positive suggestions for how these seemingly-implacable enemies can move forward?
You have some good points here.

It would be great to bring the members of Hamas to trial for war crimes. I suppose the difficulty would be to be able to get them alive. I don’t see much chance of that. Too many opportunities to escape to Hamas-supporting countries like Iran or too many opportunities to die in the war. I don’t see them giving themselves up.

I also believe they will stay for the duration to root out Hamas and destroy the tunnels.

Will they stay? Good question. Will there be a two-state after this? Another good question. We can only hope for the best.

What I find interesting is that from the start, when the UN passed a resolution (181) for a two state solution, it was rejected by the Arabs. I wonder if that sentiment still prevails.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
What I find interesting is that from the start, when the UN passed a resolution (181) for a two state solution, it was rejected by the Arabs. I wonder if that sentiment still prevails.
That's the smoking gun.
Israel is for a two state solution.

Unfortunately most Arabs, driven by fundamentalist countries want it all.
They want all the land.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's the smoking gun.
Israel is for a two state solution.

Unfortunately most Arabs, driven by fundamentalist countries want it all.
They want all the land.
If you want to justify Israel's oppression of & war upon Palestinians
by finding fault with Arabs, you've plenty of ammunition.
But this is inhuman bigotry.
And worse, it will continue & even escalate the violence.

Think of how to solve the problem.
Not how to perpetuate it.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Think of how to solve the problem.
Not how to perpetuate it.
A different world is possible. :)
Where Palestinians and Israel live in the same land, love each other and respect each other.
And cooperate for the preservation of dialogue between Middle East and West.

This is my solution.
Both parties have to want it. :)

It doesn't depend on me.

This is my wish, my free will. Peace.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A different world is possible. :)
Where Palestinians and Israel live in the same land, love each other and respect each other.
And cooperate for the preservation of dialogue between Middle East and West.

This is my solution.
Both parties have to want it. :)

It doesn't depend on me.

This is my wish, my free will. Peace.
What do you see as the path to that peace?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
That's a goal, not a process leading to the goal.
What would you have governments currently
involved in the conflict do differently?
For example, I would kindly ask the United States not to roll red carpets at the fundamentalist countries of the Gulf.
They are the ones harboring terrorists and fundamentalists.

:)

Bthoth

That's a goal, not a process leading to the goal.
What would you have governments currently
involved in the conflict do differently?
STOP sending israel weapons...........immediately!

Send them a bunch of psychologist to undo the mess of believing themselves to be superior.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
STOP sending israel weapons...........immediately!
I agree.
Threaten to end financial & military
support if they continue this evil path.
This would get their attention.
Send them a bunch of psychologist to undo the mess of believing themselves to be superior.
That will only work if they want to change.
Israel will have to be forced somehow to
obey international law, & end the oppression.