• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You a Racist?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I found it interesting to learn that many of the Africans I knew often objected to the term 'African American'.

They felt Black Americans(which is how they called them) were of a much different culture than they, and didn't really like their own nationality brought into it.

Knowing both Africans and Black Americans, I thought they had some valid points. Probably a similar situation I'd face if I went around saying I was German American due to having family members immigrate here from Germany many many generations before I was born(despite the fact I know beans about Germany or its culture). Germans would probably object.
I'm a mongrel Ameristanian.
Not much pride to be gotten from that.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
In Hong Kong, you'd be just a woman of color.
It's similar to how you don't eat "Chinese food"...it's just "food" to you.

Every now & then, we'll hear some announcer or other
talking head refer to a someone from another country
as "African American" just cuz they're black. It's the
only acceptable way for many woke folk to say "black"
these days.

Bruno knows about the African Americans in Africa....
I'd never heard the term "European American" till I took that "test" earlier in this thread. Weird. Do you have others? Australasian Americans frinstance?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd never heard the term "European American" till I took that "test" earlier in this thread. Weird. Do you have others? Australasian Americans frinstance?
Now that religion is a race, I'm an "Atheist Americastanian"
in addition to "Mongrel Ameristanian".

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I identify as the Crazy Cat Lady.

I wonder how many cultures that exists in.

It exists in this one, i am locally known (including at the mairie (town hall) and maire (mayor)) as the crazy english car lady.

The english part separates me from the french crazy cat lady who lives close by ;-)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I heard "European-American" and "African-American" for the first time in the 1980s. By the late 90s, there were those who considered anyone a racist if they used any other term (even "black"), although that didn't really take hold.

I still remember a time when a DC city councilman used a term which means "stingy," but sounds very similar to the "n word." After getting a ton of hell over that and being forced to resign, a number of black leaders (including Rep. Julian Bond) stepped forward and pointed out just how stupid people were being.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
It has become a tool for gatekeeping by the (mostly white) "woke" crowd, to be able to remember what you are allowed to call moors negroes blacks coloured people people of colour African Americans this week.
This is just conspirational nonsense. Where is this supposed "woke crowd" located that decides tyrannicaly without anybody's input which words are "allowed", and brutally punishes all those who dissent?

Obviously, people don't want to be rude to others, and so are trying to come up with more pleasant alternatives to existing rude words; however, over time, people just use those euphemisms to be rude to the exact same people, necessitating a new word to displace the newly rude one, and so on. It's called the "euphemism treadmill" and has been around since the 1960s.

But sure, why not project this problem onto a vague cabal of nefearious shadow conspirators trying to control all speech and daring you, specifically, to heroically resist their tyranny and stand up against oppression by calling a black person by the n-word!

Heyo

Veteran Member
Or Asian American. But that is normal now, wait for African Africans to appear.