• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad things about Christianity

Scott1

Radio Frequency X said:
The moment I believe you!
What leads you to believe I don't know what I believe?

Do you have special powers?

What number am I thinking of now?

Hehe.... I knew your "then I could be a Christian" line was BS....

Next?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Nullifidian said:
Well, that certainly seems logical.
To many Christians it is perfect logic.

Along with things like:
I believe the Bible is true because the Bible says it is true.

Though my personal favourite is the "Common Sense" card.

Scott1

Welcome to the forum B.S.

Sorry... didn't think I was... in the future, please send comments like this via Private Message.

I hope you enjoy your stay here on RF... please start a thread in the New Members Forum and introduce yourself!

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Well, since we're being honest....

It's not a problem I have with Christianity in particular, but any religion that teaches salvation from damnation gets underneath my skin when certain believers think it's their responcibility to over-rule my morality.

adilrockstar

Gentoo said:
Isn't that still rather........::thinks for appropiate word::... harsh..?

No it isn't harsh. God is our God our Creator, we OWE our lives to Him. He LOVES us. He sent His Son to die for us. He has ALL of EXISTENCE revolving around US. He is very deserving. The main point of the scripture is that if we are not serving God we are serving Satan. We must serve God above all things, even if our own family doesn't agree.

God Bless

Adil

adilrockstar

doppelgänger said:
Matthew 10:37, in context, is about making your family into your enemy.

Malachi 1:3 is definitely meant in the sense of hated. The passage is about the horrible things done to Esau to make him suffer because he was "hated."

Gen 29:31 is translated as "not loved." But, of course, the original is in Hebrew. If you are getting a "miseo" usage in Gen. 29:31, it would have to be from the LXX.

You and I could NOT DISAGREE MORE.

But you and I have the freedom to believe as we wish.

God Bless

Adil

adilrockstar

doppelgänger said:
There you go. I think that's a pretty good and very enlightening interpretation of the metaphor. So why someone would feel compelled to argue that Jesus was acutally using the word "love less" (especially when the text just doesn't support it)? He was saying that awakening to the Christ would make you an ememy of the world. And that metaphor is the truth.

Why don't you do some research on the Greek word. You will get your answer, instead of arguing a mute point.

Scott1

GeneCosta said:
Well, since we're being honest....
Always... I hope.:D
It's not a problem I have with Christianity in particular, but any religion that teaches salvation from damnation gets underneath my skin when certain believers think it's their responcibility to over-rule my morality.
Amen... it's never a believers "job" to rule over another ....there is a time and place for all comments, I just pray some people learn to better present their faith without trying to scare or humiliate another person.

Peace in Christ,
S

adilrockstar

Nullifidian said:
I didn't say I wasn't able to interpret it, I said I'm not qualified to interpret it, which is not the same thing at all. If God wanted so badly to communicate with his creations, why did he write such a confusing book? Are we all supposed to become experts in ancient Greek and Hebrew in order to find out what God wanted to say to us? Why can we not simply read his "word" and be sure of what he wanted to say? Remember, he didn't create us to be omniscient, like he supposedly is.

Book Stores contain New Living Translations. I would say that God has kept up with the times. Check them out they are great.

God Bless

Adil

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Scott1 said:
Hehe.... I knew your "then I could be a Christian" line was BS....

Next?

It isn't about you, Scott. It is about Christianity in general. I cannot count the number of times I've listened to prayers thanking God for saving them from this evil world, for making them spiritual and less worldly, for giving them heaven as a reward for facing this horrible, miserable life on earth. I've even heard a few prayers along the lines of, "Jesus, I thank you that I am sick and sinful, so that I always feel your healing and grace upon me". I often hear my parents talk about how the world is evil and God is good. How people are evil and only "saved people" are good and can be trusted. I've heard countless Christians countless times lecture others on the evil of the world and how, if only they would accept Jesus Christ, they would be freed from the world and worldly things.

Now, you mean to tell me that Christians love the world? Maybe you do. But let's not just off of my own personal experience here. Let's look at the Bible.

1 Corinthians 3:3 (New International Version)
"3You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men?"

"Mere Men", as if being human was a kind of insult or negative thing. Paul uses "worldly" as a condemnation.

2 Corinthians 5:1-10
1Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, 3because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

6Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. 7We live by faith, not by sight. 8We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. 9So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. 10For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

16-19:
So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 18All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

What is this reconciliation? Only by destroying the value of the world does the world become valuable? Is this Zen-Christianity?