• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Fails

sooda

Veteran Member
Code of Hammurabi - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Hammurabi
th

The Code of Hammurabi is a well-preserved Babylonian code of law of ancient Mesopotamia, dated to about 1754 BC (Middle Chronology). It is one of the oldest deciphered writings of significant length in the world.

@ smogie

This also predates Hebrew laws'

(PDF) The Akkadian Legal Texts from Ugarit. | Wilfred H ...
The Akkadian Legal Texts from Ugarit.Ugarit
The Akkadian Legal Texts from Ugarit.

Vee

Premium Member
How many pairs of clean animals did God tell Noah to take into the Ark?

• Two (Genesis 6:19, 20)
  • Seven (Genesis 7:2). But despite this last instruction only two pairs went into the ark (Genesis 7:8-9)

Back in those days the difference between "clean" and "unclean" animals was related to their use in sacrifices. Noah was required to take more of the "clean" animals because some would later be sacrificed (Gen. 7:2).

sooda

Veteran Member
Back in those days the difference between "clean" and "unclean" animals was related to their use in sacrifices. Noah was required to take more of the "clean" animals because some would later be sacrificed (Gen. 7:2).

Hmmm.. I never thought of that.

Rational Agnostic

What bible fail is the most 'oof!' in your opinion?

Imagine you could only point to one issue with the bible to convince someone that it was flawed and not inerrent. What is the most damning biblical mistake that really can't be harmonised, contextualised, or explained away?

It can be a contradiction, moral failing, unhistorical event, scientific error, misquote, or whatever.

Matthew 16:28, Matthew 10:23, Matthew 24:34

Vee

Premium Member

Imagine you could only point to one issue with the bible to convince someone that it was flawed and not inerrent. What is the most damning biblical mistake that really can't be harmonised, contextualised, or explained away?

It can be a contradiction, moral failing, unhistorical event, scientific error, misquote, or whatever.

I've seen a lot of people misinterpreting the bible and not doing the necessary research to understand the context in which the different scriptures were written. That's not the bible's fault though.

whirlingmerc

so called contradictions boil down to proper context and usage of language

I don't think there are any real ones only apparent contradictions

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

There are so many contradictions, fails, nonsences, atrosities etc if is hard to decide which to put forward so i will rely on science. We have the creation account is not only contractory, it's not logical. But the one i would do for is the flood, a complete impossibility

GoodbyeDave

What bible fail is the most 'oof!' in your opinion?It can be a contradiction, moral failing, unhistorical event, scientific error, misquote, or whatever.
Obviously errors in history and science are irrelevant. As St Augustine wrote, if someone is called to be a prophet, they are given a religious message — their scientific and historical statements are all their own work.

In other words, we have to look for moral failings, and in those books which are clearly historical rather than mythical. In the Old Testament we have King Josiah of Judah slaughtering priests of gods of whom he disapproved and Ezra (or Nehemiah) breaking up families and carrying out ethnic cleansing. In the New Testament, we see Jesus threatening the people of Capernaum with damnation because they wouldn't listen to him and destroying the Gadarene pig-farmer's livestock (if you believe the story). So, take your pick…

whirlingmerc

There are so many contradictions, fails, nonsences, atrosities etc if is hard to decide which to put forward so i will rely on science. We have the creation account is not only contractory, it's not logical. But the one i would do for is the flood, a complete impossibility

There are none. They are all apparent contradictions.
Alleged Contradictions in the Bible - Christian Research Institute

The flood happened but you are off topic since the flood claims are self consistent
A Flood of Evidence

And btw two of what seven of what context context context.... 2 of the unclean animals 7 of the clean allowed for some clean animals to be used as sacrifice

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Thank you for making my point. Your complaint has never applied to Christians, nor Jews for thousands of years.
Wishful thinking at its finest.
Now had you said it "shouldn't apply" you may have had a point.
But the fact is, it does apply to so many in this day and age.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Because sex was considered marrying. But yes, letting deflowered girls (who we're considered valuable only when pure) rot and die in poverty was a much better option
A feeble attempt to defend filth.
Presuming that the bible is the word of god, commanding that women be treated with respect and dignity regardless of their virginity and that rapist be brought to justice would've been the better option.
So, yes, bible fail. Book has no use beyond toilet paper.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There are none. They are all apparent contradictions.
Alleged Contradictions in the Bible - Christian Research Institute

The flood happened but you are off topic since the flood claims are self consistent
A Flood of Evidence

And btw two of what seven of what context context context.... 2 of the unclean animals 7 of the clean allowed for some clean animals to be used as sacrifice

...I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved. — Genesis 32:30

No man hath seen God at any time…– John 1:18

And hundreds more

Have you actually read the bible? And do you think the CRI are unbiased in their claims?
Here are a few from a different bias
Biblical Contradictions | American Atheists

The thread is about fails, not necessarily consistency
So to flood the earth with 80 times more water than has ever existed is ok with you,. At least 18 million animals including 7 blue whales, some animals crossing oceans band continents fitted in the vessel described, plus food for a year?
And no physical evidence of flooding earth to a depth of more than 8850 metres?

And many many more inconsistencies with reality that cannot be apologised away

To believe that the OT "god" is our true Parent. Jesus did call out that "god" for what he was if we have an open heart (spirit) to listen to him. Remember when Jesus and 2 of his followers were being mocked. The 2 asked Jesus if they should pray to call down fire to devour the mockers like the OT prophet did. Jesus rebuked them both and said they had no idea what kind of Spirit they were calling upon. So is this not to rebuking the OT "god's" actions along with It's prophet? Was Jesus not rebuking the OT "god"? Did the heart of Jesus (Teacher) really match the OT "god"? Yes, yes and no. Our true Parent is not the OT "god". It is the Parent the true sayings of Jesus leads us to. Our Parent is inside all of us awaiting to be seen when we stop listening to the enemy, our worldly mind.