• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book Burning: Bible, koran, torah, wicca, scientology, buddhism etc.

Draka

Wonder Woman
was it a stupid thing to do? That depends on what reaction he wanted and whether or not he succeeded.

Was it futile? No because he got his point across, I assume.

because I'm interested in why people are so interested in what one guy on the internet is doing

Think of it this way. Why do we have shows like "It Only Hurts When I Laugh", "World's Dumbest...", "America's Funniest Home Videos", and "Practical Jokers"? Why? Because we like to watch people make complete douchenozzles of themselves. Watching the dumb is a national pasttime here.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Think of it this way. Why do we have shows like "It Only Hurts When I Laugh", "World's Dumbest...", "America's Funniest Home Videos", and "Practical Jokers"? Why? Because we like to watch people make complete douchenozzles of themselves. Watching the dumb is a national pasttime here.

True. although it's debatable as to whether or not what he did was dumb

Draka

Wonder Woman
True. although it's debatable as to whether or not what he did was dumb

I don't know how debatable that is. He didn't make any other point other than he didn't have a clue and that he was willing to burn his money for his lack of a clue.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
It got a lot of comments from people calling the act 'stupid'. How is that not interested? and of course it's allowed
The only thing people did is comment on the futility of it and lack of sophistication. I don't see anything dramatic about it.

Sorry if it seemed that way. i think I jumped in before thinking it through
I think so too.

I'm making a big deal out of why people are calling the act 'stupid' rather than the act itself.
But people are calling the act stupid.
there is nothing thought provoking or intelligent in this act, I don't think people who burn flags are doing anything smart either. books burning, flags burning, I don't see anything constructive in it. the pen is mightier.

:( Bad people burn books. :( Well, clearly ignorant people burn books... I would have collected all of those and read them haha. A better use... I think there are some non religious books there too... Who cares about some ignorant kids anyways... I'm sure real atheists don't make such cheap shows to express their opinions.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
[youtube]k1yIy39RX0Q[/youtube]
The 2012 Book Burning Controversy - YouTube

Hey guys, i found this video on youtube. Its a group of atheists burning multiple religious texts which includes the bible, koran, torah, wicca, tripitaka, dianetics etc.

What do you atheists think about this? And religious feedback please

I'm an atheist and I'd rather take one of each to browse in my household than burn them!

Someone earlier said "burning books is a sign of stupidity," I agree with them. I will never agree with censorship.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Friend jojowedge,

Personally find that fire is required for cooking, heating etc and energy is scarce globally so kindly ensure that all burning is used to derive energy for other needs and not wasted.

Love & rgds

n.b. books are books nothing holy/unholy about them besides am not the owner of those books so kindly pass the mike to him for comments.:D:D
Get out the marshmallows! :D

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
As a book lover, I find the burning of any books to be appalling! As a theist, it makes me wonder what these certain atheists think they have to fear from books. Burning books doesn't kill the idea of whatever they are written about- it just shows ignorance. Books by themselves are not holy nor are they anything to be feared.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I find it kind of amusing how so many people who engage in symbolic rituals and ceremonies can't empathize with why other people do it, or what they get out of engaging in them.

I also find it amusing that the typical, historical mindset associated with burning books also seems to be displayed by people who virulently and thoughtlessly attack the practice, regardless of any context or particulars. Black/white mindsets often result in rich irony.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I find it kind of amusing how so many people who engage in symbolic rituals and ceremonies can't empathize with why other people do it, or what they get out of engaging in them.

I also find it amusing that the typical, historical mindset associated with burning books also seems to be displayed by people who virulently and thoughtlessly attack the practice, regardless of any context or particulars. Black/white mindsets often result in rich irony.

You're probably right, KT. But I find it ironic that I am more offended as a book lover than I am a theist. I wonder if that even makes any sense. :foot::)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
You're probably right, KT. But I find it ironic that I am more offended as a book lover than I am a theist. I wonder if that even makes any sense. :foot::)

I actually get it more on that level. I also love books, and own hundreds.

Then again, it's not as though I love all books.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I disagree. after the few years I posted here it's pretty known that I am an atheist who actually appreciates religious studies. not the theology itself, but the literature, the message, and the historical relevance.
but I also own books which go against everything I stand for. for example, we have a copy of Mein Kampf, because I find it on some level important to better understand the historical pieces that brought WWII. even though books like Mein Kampf are venomous, I would never even think about burning it. the book has a historical relevance.
I find the whole action of burning books retarded, and I'll always look at people who burn books or flags as unsophisticated and lacking in real ability for discourse.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
umm... you do not seem to get psychodrama I'm guessing. It was supposed to aid me in getting over irrational fears and inhibitions by telling my subconscious that I was going to go to Hell anyway.

So you believe in Hell?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I disagree. after the few years I posted here it's pretty known that I am an atheist who actually appreciates religious studies. not the theology itself, but the literature, the message, and the historical relevance.
but I also own books which go against everything I stand for. for example, we have a copy of Mein Kampf, because I find it on some level important to better understand the historical pieces that brought WWII. even though books like Mein Kampf are venomous, I would never even think about burning it. the book has a historical relevance.
I find the whole action of burning books retarded, and I'll always look at people who burn books or flags as unsophisticated and lacking in real ability for discourse.

This view seems to place books themselves as idols to be worshipped - a strikingly similar attribution of power to books as symbols as those who burn them.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
This view seems to place books themselves as idols to be worshipped - a strikingly similar attribution of power to books as symbols as those who burn them.
its not the books that I necessarily find valuable. its their content. their content can be argued, dissected, criticised, and even ridiculed and insulted.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
its not the books that I necessarily find valuable. its their content. their content can be argued, dissected, criticised, and even ridiculed and insulted.

Unless someone is burning the only existing copy of a text, then burning a book doesn't prevent any of these things either, and perhaps can be its own statement.

Personally, I would never burn a book, but I'm not one for symbolic rituals and ceremonies to begin with. That being said, it seems as though it could be as relevant of a social ritual/ceremony as many religious ceremonies, with a similar function and purpose.

By picking and choosing which forms of expression are okay and not okay, it becomes too easy to instantly incorrectly caricaturize people without attempting to empathize with them for an understanding of exactly what they are trying to communicate.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Sure, I heard your opinions. I still find this form of 'criticism' to be juvenile. and I'm not very likely to take these kind of people seriously.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I'm opposed to the concept of burning books as a symbol of censorship. However, just like burning the flag I don't think an individual act of burning books is inherently wrong or illegal. I think it might be an asshat thing to do sometimes - or it could be cathartic, I burned a copy of my thesis afterall - but eh, so they burned a copy of some of the most common books on the planet. (Felt this way as a Catholic too.)

Were it an original, rare, etc. sort of book there'd be a big issue, but that's about the destruction of history.

Last edited: