• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can God have a Son?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The fact that Muslims pray to One God and others to many is not only of huge importance, but it is the very reason we are here. It is the test of life. And yet you say that it is not important. If you don't believe in Allah (SWT) then you are destined for hellfire and nothing else in this lifetime matters more.

According to Scripture God resurrected Jesus out of hell. [Acts 2vs31,32]

Early translators of the words 'sheol', 'hades/haides' and 'Gehenna' have caused much confusion and misunderstanding of those Greek and Hebrew words translating them into the English words as hell and hellfire.

Since hellfire is an English word,
what is the original word that is translated as hellfire in the Qur'an ?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Interesting question. I haven't seen these issues with many Jewish people. Judaism's theology is more.. hm.. more metaphorically interpreted.

I'm thinking more along the line of the people/culture that authored the OT. I suspect Christianity and Islamic beliefs will become less fanatical over time. I think if one is so inclined, they can find the means to justify their beliefs metaphorically. No guarantees though the metaphor was the original intent of the author.

In my opinion, the issues that make people more inclined to fanaticism are:

• literal reading of scriptures (usually because they don't know the metaphors behind the messages)
  • not enough mysticism -- too much focus on praying for appeasement to avoid punishment, than praying out of love
  • too much focus on the mundane
  • eternal Hell
  • a need to proselytise

A need to justify their beliefs by getting as many people as possible to accept them.

Although obviously there's many who don't have these. There are some Jewish, Muslim, and Christian members on here with wonderful interpretations of their religions.

Sure, I believe people only represent themselves. No reason to think the bad behavior of a few represent the entire group.

As I'm a big fan of mysticism, Judaism's interpretation of the Bible is by far my favourite, although it's not a religion I could go for personally (nor do Jewish people believe a non-Jew needs to), it doesn't seem to have the issue of literalism, the problem of Satan, a concept of Hell, etc.

If it works for them. However bad behavior is bad behavior. No reason to accept religious justification for bad behavior. A person deserves respect or disrespect because of their actions. Not because of their religion.

I don't care what a person believes as long as they strive to treat their fellowman fairly.

Of course I may be critical of some beliefs if a person willingly offers them up for examination. However I equally accept criticisms of my own beliefs.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Nobody asked a question that I couldn't answer. What question was that? Please tell me! Oh and if you don't believe in the One God, then you are a heathen of course, God says so in the Quran!

I had a question. Why should a person believe anything the Quran says?

Fear of being called a heathen I don't think justifies belief.
Why do you believe in what the Quran says?

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Allah (SWT) has power over all things...after your death, you will see this.

An execrable person is a person without the love of God in his/her heart. So that's you, not me! I believe in God...you don't!
Allah only has power over things that belong to him. I do not belong to him, but to other Gods. People from Allah's neck of the woods are long on talk, short on ability.

Allah is nothing to me. And will continue to be, long after I am dead and among the brave.

Nichole_R

I am not a religious person. I simply have a creature-Creator relationship with God. And yes, if God can speak this whole planet into being, He can have a Son with just a word. To think that God needs to conform to biological rules that we humans are under is quite silly to me.
Isaih 55:8

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I am not a religious person. I simply have a creature-Creator relationship with God. And yes, if God can speak this whole planet into being, He can have a Son with just a word. To think that God needs to conform to biological rules that we humans are under is quite silly to me.
Isaih 55:8

If not religious, how do you have a creature-Creator relationship with God ?

True, [Isaiah 55v8] that God's thoughts are higher than our thoughts.....
but doesn't verse 6 say we are to seek God?
How can a person seek God without a religious inclination ?

[Jeremiah 29v13; James 1v27]

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If not religious, how do you have a creature-Creator relationship with God ?

True, [Isaiah 55v8] that God's thoughts are higher than our thoughts.....
but doesn't verse 6 say we are to seek God?
How can a person seek God without a religious inclination ?

[Jeremiah 29v13; James 1v27]

I chase after what I believe to be God.
But I have no religion...no dogma...no ritual...

I don't think God cares....such things.

AhmadSyahir

Allah only has power over things that belong to him. I do not belong to him, but to other Gods. People from Allah's neck of the woods are long on talk, short on ability.

Allah is nothing to me. And will continue to be, long after I am dead and among the brave.

Death is one of the proof of Islam and Death is also one of the factor that keep some muslim still muslim until this very day.

In muslim community, we're told to learn from death. A man is dead and buried. But some minutes later, his grave was dug for purpose of police investigation. Surprisingly, the corpse body is swollen everywhere and in very bad condition. Some people has been buried for years, but the corpse was like untouched. It still like how it was buried.

:candle:

gnostic

The Lost One
To AhmadSyahir:

If you are referring to the Abrahamic god, and if this god is all-powerful (omnipotent) and he can do everything and there is no limit to what he can do, then I don't see why it is not possible.

Like 9-10th_penguin said, you're putting limit to what can your god can and can't do. To me, a monotheistic religions have the tendency to put limits on their god, which is contradiction to omnipotent being.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Like I said before, He can have a son and even 1 million sons if that's what He wants, but in the Quran, it states clearly that He doesn't have a son and those who say that he has a son are going to be punished for their sins.

You will have to provide a reference. I didn't see that anywhee in the Qu'ran. Maybe it isn't as clear as you think.

AhmadSyahir

To AhmadSyahir:

If you are referring to the Abrahamic god, and if this god is all-powerful (omnipotent) and he can do everything and there is no limit to what he can do, then I don't see why it is not possible.

Like 9-10th_penguin said, you're putting limit to what can your god can and can't do. To me, a monotheistic religions have the tendency to put limits on their god, which is contradiction to omnipotent being.

God is omnipotent has nothing to do with having a son or not. It's true that God doesn't have limitation.
Having a son is not something that God cannot do but it's something that He doesn't do.
Can God lie? Yes He can but he doesn't lie. There's no reason for him. He own everything.
When you understand this concept, you will realize that there's no contradiction with God is omnipotent.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Death is one of the proof of Islam and Death is also one of the factor that keep some muslim still muslim until this very day.

In muslim community, we're told to learn from death. A man is dead and buried. But some minutes later, his grave was dug for purpose of police investigation. Surprisingly, the corpse body is swollen everywhere and in very bad condition. Some people has been buried for years, but the corpse was like untouched. It still like how it was buried.

:candle:
This is all irrelevant to anything I said, if you wanted to somehow refute me.

Also, death is not a 'proof' for Islam. What a silly statement.

AhmadSyahir

This is all irrelevant to anything I said, if you wanted to somehow refute me.

Also, death is not a 'proof' for Islam. What a silly statement.

Well, I just speak what I know. There's a story(hadith maybe) about a man that like to steal kafan(white cloth of muslim when they're buried).

The man talk about different condition of the corpse in the grave to another man. (He repent because of certain incident). Surprisingly, it happen this day.

People buried for some minutes and already swollen all over the bodies. Some people been buried for years but still in a perfect condition.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Well, I guess it can depend on how the person died, as well, if they bloated quickly. Or how long they were above ground before being buried.