• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can known homosexuals join any Southern Baptist church?

Trey of Diamonds

cat%2Bart_10.jpg

A

angellous_evangellous

I wonder if our Agnostic friend has any more old news?? :shrug:

Trey of Diamonds

Today's headlines

It has been confirmed that Pompeii has indeed been buried in ash and lava. After debating the issue for 1,933 years, sholars have now annouced that the city is indeed lost. Although some skeptics still remain...

Agnostic75

SOUTHERN BAPTIST CONVENTION AND HOMOSEXUALITY

religioustolerance.org said:
Traditionally, this denomination had varying levels of tolerance for homosexuality and had expressed concern over gay-bashing. However, with the shift of the SBC towards fundamentalism starting about 1980, attitudes have significantly hardened into an extreme opposition to equal rights for gays, bisexuals, and lesbians, including allowing sexually active gay, lesbian, and bisexuals to become church members and the right of loving, committed same-sex couples to marry. Their greatest concern is the gradual cultural acceptance of homosexuality and bisexuality as normal and natural for a minority of adults. One evidence of this is that most American adults now favor the legalization of same-sex marriage.

Please note that "starting about 1980, attitudes have significantly hardened into an extreme opposition to equal rights for gays, bisexuals, and lesbians, including allowing sexually active gay, lesbian, and bisexuals to become church members......."

The SBC is hypocritical because it strongly condemns homosexuality, but turns the other cheek regarding church members who have gotten divorced. How is homosexuality any more sinful than getting divorced without having biblical grounds? Even monogamous, never divorced homosexuals are not allowed to hold leadership positions in Southern Baptist churches.

Please read an article at http://www.oneorlando.org/images/The_Southern_Baptist_Conspiracy_pdf.pdf.

Please also read an article at New Southern Baptist Curriculum Bashes Gays | Religion Dispatches.

Consider the following:

SOUTHERN BAPTIST CONVENTION AND HOMOSEXUALITY

religioustolerance.org said:
2009-JUN-23: TX: Fort Worth church kicked out of Southern Baptists: The Southern Baptist Convention has terminated its 127 year relationship with the Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth, TX. The reason is that the congregation is too lenient with GLBT members. The messengers (delegates) to the convention were not allowed to be seated.

Kathy Madeja, chairperson of the congregation's board of deacons said:
"We do not believe Broadway has taken any action which would justify its being deemed not in friendly cooperation with the SBC. It is unfortunate that the Southern Baptist Convention decided otherwise and severed its affiliation with Broadway Baptist Church."
Earlier, the Rev. Jorene Taylor Swift, a Broadway minister, wrote a letter to the denomination's executive committee stating:
"We are not a church where homosexuality is a defining issue. While we extend hospitality to everyone -- including homosexuals -- we do not endorse, approve or affirm homosexual behavior."
Prof resigns rather than leave church with homosexual members by Jerry Pierce | Managing Editor *||* Southern Baptist Texan

texanonline.net said:
SBC messengers meeting in Louisville, Ky., in June voted overwhelmingly to declare the [Broadway] congregation "not in friendly cooperation" for violating the convention's bylaws prohibiting the approval, affirmation or endorsement of homosexual behavior.

Dr. Charles Stanley is the longtime pastor of the First Baptist Church of Atlanta. He has a national or regional weekly television and/or radio program. Consider one of the following church membership requirements at his church:

First Baptist Church Atlanta | Steps to Membership @ FBA

fba.org said:
Decision Counseling. We want to know who you are and how God has been at work in your life! You are welcome to come forward and speak with a pastor following a Sunday morning worship service, or you may contact our Decision Counseling Ministry at [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots.

I doubt that openly homosexual people would be allowed to join that church. It would probably be easy to find out, and the same goes for any other Southern Baptist church.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

OK this is getting to the point where it's just spam.

A

angellous_evangellous

Your post #46 shows otherwise.

Keep trying...

:rolleyes:

Don't worry, I'm not upset at all that you misquoted me. [It's never a good idea to modify what a person said AND THEN QUOTE IT. In fact, I'm pretty sure that such an action IS AGAINST THE RULES OF THE FORUM.]

If you had read my post, you would see that I did list examples related to BOTH the SBC (which is in your OP) and the Assemblies of God. I did not address the LDS church at all, because I don't know anything about it.

EXAMPLE:

RULE 3: TROLLING

Agnostic75

angellous_evangellous said:
Keep trying.......

No trying is necessary since in one post, you said that you did not say anything about the LDS church, and your previous post #46 shows that you did.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

I missed that. Which post are you referring to?

Here you go

This is irrelevant, given the rarity of homosexuality in the general population, and the unpopularity of the SBC and evangelical churches in general.

I do happen to know Rev. Cody J Sanders, who has served on staff at SBC churches and joined an SBC church shortly before its ties with the SBC were severed. He is very active in Baptist life - Rev. Cody J. Sanders

His husband is a Baptist chaplain at a local hospital.

A

angellous_evangellous

In which posts did I make up anything about the SBC?

Well, you spam stuff but are unable or unwilling to properly interpret it.

It seems to me that no real information has made it from your sources to your brain. And certainly nothing has made it out.

So from what I've seen --- if you've actually written anything in a post, you've made it up. If not, it's just spam, and you make stuff up later.

Agnostic75

angellous evangellous said:
I do happen to know Rev. Cody J Sanders, who has served on staff at SBC churches and joined an SBC church shortly before its ties with the SBC were severed. He is very active in Baptist life - Rev. Cody J. Sanders.

Yes, some Southern Baptist churches temporarily get away with that, but not when the SBC headquarters finds out about it.

When the Southern Baptist Convention kicked the Broadway Baptist Church in Texas out of the SBC for being too friendly towards homosexuals, the vast majority of representatives from member churches supported that.

Last edited:

Agnostic75

Well, you spam stuff but are unable or unwilling to properly interpret it.

It seems to me that no real information has made it from your sources to your brain. And certainly nothing has made it out.

So from what I've seen --- if you've actually written anything in a post, you've made it up. If not, it's just spam, and you make stuff up later.

Examples please, with post numbers.

Agnostic75

Keep trying.......

No trying is necessary since in one post, you said that you did not say anything about the LDS church, and your previous post #46 shows that you did. It is ok if you made a mistake, everyone does, but it would be nice if you admitted that you made a mistake.

Just so I understand you correctly, what do you think that my positions are about the SBC, and Southern Baptist churches?

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

No trying is necessary since in one post, you said that you did not say anything about the LDS church, and your previous post #46 shows that you did. It is ok if you made a mistake, everyone does, but it would be nice if you admitted that you made a mistake.

Just so I understand you correctly, what do you think that my positions are about the SBC, and Southern Baptist churches?

OK, let's recount this. You misread me on something very, very simple. To demonstrate your misreading, you tampered with my words AND MISQUOTED ME. I was glad to clarify, pointing out that what you did was not only intellectually dishonest but against forum rules.

If you want to pursue a matter that I needlessly clarified (I was assuming that you didn't read English very well), you're only embarrassing yourself.

All of your positions on the SBC are an unbalanced, lazy, and incoherent combination of poor judgment and even worse reasoning skills.

Showing that you cannot read does not bode well for your "argument."