• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Wicca

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
But if you take the essence of Christ's teachings which is love everyone and the essence of Wicca witch ( :D ) is love the earth and harm no one, you have a perfect mesh. Not only do you feel the love for your neighbors, but also a greater love for your surroundings... There isn't to most, evil in Wicca, depending on the path. Nothing Christ taught was evil. Love. Complete love.

Fluffy

A fool
Can you recommend some good reading(From scratch so to speak), for someone who wants to learn ?
I have never found any other source which is as good for absolute basics than www.religioustolerance.org that is, if you haven't read their Wiccan section already :). Anything by Scott Cunningham is good also, especially his "Solitary Practioner" stuff because it avoids all the coven work that you most likely won't be able to practice much. He is also non-denonminational so you won't get much bias there.

After that I suggest reading Gerald Gardner because in all honesty the best way to form your own opinions about Wicca is to read the founder. Keep in mind that Gardnerian Wicca is a very traditional and not quite as open and tolerant as the kind of Wicca you are more familiar with. If you wish to see what inspired Gardner then read Aleister Crowley. More recently, Lady Gwen Thompson and much more prominently, Doreen Valiente.

I am not trying to rip you guys I know you do no harm, and its not my place to be offended but what is the angle?
I cannot speak for any other Christian Wiccan but the way I do it is to follow Jesus not the Bible. I view the Bible as a source for understanding Jesus but in no way a perfect one. I view many of its passages as expressing the various intolerances of the people at the time, as attempts to distance itself from the pagan religions whilst recruiting pagans and as attempts to explain things to people with limited education etc. This is not to say that there is no wisdom in the Bible but, like much of Wicca, I feel I must take it with a pinch of salt. I know which passages seem inherently wrong and disregard them and I know which passages gel with Wicca perfectly and give it new meaning.

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
To advance to any great level in wicca takes study of both the right hand and the left hand path.

Now my current path is not wiccan, but i use what i have learnt.

If i am surrounded by who who would dedicate themselves to one side, i will balence the energy by subconiously shifting to the other.

Dark_Waltz

jgallandt said:
DW, I appreciate what you say. I believe the Bible was written by man, translated by man. I believe in Christ's teachings. Show me something in his teachings that goes against Wicca? Read the Gospel according Mary. Very earthy, for a lack of another word. If your a hard core Christian, that takes all the Bible and it's miss-translations literally, no, you would not be able to combine the 2. cont..
Ok I really do claim ignorance to the gospel according to Mary but would love to read it,
He sacrificed his sons in the fire in the Valley of Ben Hinnom,
practiced sorcery, divination and witchcraft, and consulted mediums and
spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the Lord, provoking him to
anger. ([size=-1]2Chronicles 33:6[/size])
I mean just reading passages like this is enough to realise why christians hate us never mind those trying to merge the two into one.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
DW, for one, those are mis-translations. The correct translation was poison, one who poisons others. Also that's the OT, which I find to be stories passed down from generation to generation, by word of mouth for years. Like I said, Christian. Follower of Christ's teachings.

Fluffy

A fool
I mean just reading passages like this is enough to realise why christians hate us never mind those trying to merge the two into one.
But at the same time, such a passage seems to go against everything Christ taught so fundamentally and totally that I find i could never accept them both.

Dark_Waltz

jgallandt said:
DW, for one, those are mis-translations. The correct translation was poison, one who poisons others. Also that's the OT, which I find to be stories passed down from generation to generation, by word of mouth for years. Like I said, Christian. Follower of Christ's teachings.
But without the bible how would you know of Christs teachings?
Do you pray for your sins and see wicca as one of them?

Dark_Waltz

Pardus said:
To advance to any great level in wicca takes study of both the right hand and the left hand path.

Now my current path is not wiccan, but i use what i have learnt.

If i am surrounded by who who would dedicate themselves to one side, i will balence the energy by subconiously shifting to the other.
There are no ranks in Wicca only levels of understanding, such snobbery has no place in paganism

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Dark_Waltz said:
Wicca is not a sin. How could it be? Harm no one, eh? Read the NT. Like the Gospel of John or Luke. The Story of the Good Sam., a religion totally against jewish religion, but they showed compassion where the jews didn't.

wmam

jgallandt, Excuse me for butting in but I have some questions to do with your post please.

jgallandt said:
for one, those are mis-translations.
Which of those are you referring to?

jgallandt said:
The correct translation was poison, one who poisons others.
Correct translation of what exactly?

jgallandt said:
Also that's the OT, which I find to be stories passed down from generation to generation, by word of mouth for years. Like I said, Christian. Follower of Christ's teachings.
As I have learned that most, if not all, of what many call the NT was just that, stories passed down from generation to generation, by word of mouth for years. It is also stated by Yahshua, Himself, that He was nothing but by the will of YAH, His father. Why therefore you follow Him and not the One who sent Him?

You may choose to ignore me and that will be o.k.

I am just curious about the enemy of YAH and how they think is all. I'll show compassion for one's ignorance of Truth and will pray that they will come to the understanding of such. May be a waste of my time but will do so just the same. Peace.

Dark_Waltz

jgallandt said:
Wicca is not a sin. How could it be? Harm no one, eh? Read the NT. Like the Gospel of John or Luke. The Story of the Good Sam., a religion totally against jewish religion, but they showed compassion where the jews didn't.
well sorry to interrupt your heckling but why don't Christians accept you then?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Alot of Christains believe they are right and the world is wrong. They read what they want to read. There are exceptions, such as Net Doc, which I'm sure does not always agree with me, but understands Christ's teachings of Love everyone.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
WMAN, 1st, Who said I don't follow God? Not I. I'll post a link to the mis-translation in a minute. As my good friend Fluffy stated, Christ's teaching contradicts alot of the O.T. Let me ask you a question. What was the most important law Christ taught?

Dark_Waltz

You know I know what You mean even when I was a christian I was always arguing with older members of the congregation on what is acceptable and what isn't,
Little things like who handles the altar cloth and such so I understand what You are saying, But the bible is Christs teachings in the new testement anyway so is that not as distorted as the rest in your eyes?

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
Dark_Waltz said:
I knew of Christs teachings long before I picked up a Bible.... the only chapter I live my life by is James. I do NOT pray about my Wicca, see, its not a sin. I study many religions and I CAN AND WILL add what I feel is right for me into my life...

Fluffy

A fool
There are no ranks in Wicca only levels of understanding, such snobbery has no place in paganism
That is contradictive with Wicca's origins but I understand your meaning and it is something I dislike also. Tell me what is the difference between your disregard for this and our disregard for passages such as the one you cited? Both are arguably part of their respective religions yet we have both made a judgement call and decided that they are relics of outmoded human behaviour rather than the path to the divine that we are attempting to capture.

At the end of the day guys n gals, Christian Wicca obviously works for those few who wish to follow it. Does it really matter if it doesn't work for anybody else? Not a jot.

Dark_Waltz

Evenstar said:
I knew of Christs teachings long before I picked up a Bible.... the only chapter I live my life by is James. I do NOT pray about my Wicca, see, its not a sin. I study many religions and I CAN AND WILL add what I feel is right for me into my life...
oh I agree I don't see it as wrong or a sin but in my mind the average Christian does regard it as wrong.
That is contradictive with Wicca's origins but I understand your meaning and it is something I dislike also. Tell me what is the difference between your disregard for this and our disregard for passages such as the one you cited? Both are arguably part of their respective religions yet we have both made a judgement call and decided that they are relics of outmoded human behaviour rather than the path to the divine that we are attempting to capture.

At the end of the day guys n gals, Christian Wicca obviously works for those few who wish to follow it. Does it really matter if it doesn't work for anybody else? Not a jot.
I know Fluffy but like I said its been grating me recently so I either want to understand more and stop that grate or ignore it in the knowledge I asked questions but still couldn't quite get it ;)

wmam

jgallandt said:
WMAN, 1st, Who said I don't follow God? Not I.
You didn't come right out and say it but one could look at what you did say and think you worshiped the Son and not the Father.

jgallandt said:
Like I said, Christian. Follower of Christ's teachings.
jgallandt said:
I'll post a link to the mis-translation in a minute. As my good friend Fluffy stated, Christ's teaching contradicts alot of the O.T.
Where?

jgallandt said:
Let me ask you a question. What was the most important law Christ taught?
Mat 22:36 “Teacher, which is the great command in the Torah?”
Mat 22:37 And Yahshua, said to him, “ ‘You shall love YAH, your Elohim with all your heart, and with all your being, and with all your mind.’
Mat 22:38 “This is the first and great command.

Your point?