• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Orders Student to Alter Religious Views on Homosexuality, Or Be Dismissed

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
*looks up from painting toenails*

He's still at it? Daaaaaaannnnnnggggggg.....

*goes back to painting toenails*

A

angellous_evangellous

Already covered this. A degree does not indicate any kind of open endorsement because it would subject the university to liability.

The university is, however, concerned with its reputation.

In some cases, universities have openly disassociated themselves with former graduates who have gone coco for cocopuffs.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Dang girl, how many toenails do you got?

I gave myself a fabulous manicure earlier, and now I'm making my toes look pretty. That's a better use of my time than arguing what is so painfully obvious to anyone with any respect for higher education.

After my toenails dry, I think I'll start a cucumber treatment for my eyes. My face needs some pampering after all the :facepalm: I've done in this thread.

brbubba

Underling
The university is, however, concerned with its reputation.

In some cases, universities have openly disassociated themselves with former graduates who have gone coco for cocopuffs.

And I suspect that's why they are doing this in the first place. But does a university have the right to disqualify someone based on the fact that they might think that they don't have all their marbles? Obviously this woman is a complete idiot for being vocal about her viewpoint, there's not doubt about that. Also the university's stance seems rather ambiguous because at times they state that they aren't trying to change her beliefs and at other times they say she has to change her beliefs.

At this point the only thing that I could see dinging her would be her refusal to positively assert a homosexual lifestyle to clients.

A

angellous_evangellous

And I suspect that's why they are doing this in the first place. But does a university have the right to disqualify someone based on the fact that they might think that they don't have all their marbles? Obviously this woman is a complete idiot for being vocal about her viewpoint, there's not doubt about that. Also the university's stance seems rather ambiguous because at times they state that they aren't trying to change her beliefs and at other times they say she has to change her beliefs.

At this point the only thing that I could see dinging her would be her refusal to positively assert a homosexual lifestyle to clients.

Yep. That's the point.

A

angellous_evangellous

I'll leave it at that then since it's degraded to toenail painting.

I've been in grad school since 2003, and I have been through so many things that weed out people who can't handle professional scholarship. There are many, many people that lose out on the first thing: write a paper using a sound but creative use of a critical method.

All languages are on pass/fail - I had to translate a scholarly article in German and another in French. With a time limit.

I had to have advanced level Greek and Hebrew.

That was just to get in to the program.

Alceste

Vagabond
Already covered this. A degree does not indicate any kind of open endorsement because it would subject the university to liability.

Some quotes from the brief:

Ooh fun! Cherry picking! Can I play??

In certain of her classes in the counseling program, Miss Keeton has communicated in class discussion as well as written assignments ... that she believes GLBTQ “lifestyles” to be identity confusion. The faculty identifies Miss Keeton’s views as indicative of her improper professional disposition to persons of such populations. Dr. Anderson-Wiley... told Miss Keeton that she had a choice of standing by the Bible or by the ACA Code of Ethics. Miss Keeton stated her fidelity is to the Bible.

On Monday, June 14, 2010, Miss Keeton sent an email message to Drs. Deaner, Anderson-Wiley, and Schenck, which stated as follows:

My Christian moral views are not just about me. I think the Bible’s teaching is true for all people, and it shows the right way to live.

responding by email to Miss Keeton later that day was Dr. Schenck:

I do not expect you to change your personal beliefs and values. What is the issue is if you believe your personal beliefs and values should be the same beliefs and values for all people. This is the unethical part—applying your own personal beliefs and values on other people and not truly accepting that others can have different beliefs and values that are equally valid as your own.

The faculty observed that Miss Keeton believes that other people should act in accordance with her moral values. That belief, the faculty wrote, contradicts the principles contained in the American Counseling Association and American School Counselor Association Code of Ethics. The professional counselor’s job is to help clients clarify their current feelings and behaviors and to help them reach the goals that they have determined for themselves, not to dictate what those goals should be, what morals they should possess, or what values they should adopt.

Dr. Schenck explained that while Miss Keeton is free to have points of view about how she personally should conduct and define herself, she may not believe that others should adopt the standards she personally is convinced are true.

Miss Keeton did state that she would not in a counseling session agree with the propriety of homosexual relations, nor affirm the propriety of a client pursuing a life of, and a self-definition based on, homosexual relations.

Dr. Schenck and Dr. Deaner explained to Miss Keeton that it was a life and death matter to not affirm a client’s sexual decisions, and that failing to do so has led and could lead to suicides by clients who are not affirmed in their sexual preferences.

Keeting wrote:

in order to finish the counseling program you are requiring me to ... commit now that if I ever may have a client who wants me to affirm their decision to have an abortion or engage in gay, lesbian, or transgender behavior, I will do that. I will not affirm the morality of those behaviors in a counseling situation.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Ooh fun! Cherry picking! Can I play??

In certain of her classes in the counseling program, Miss Keeton has communicated in class discussion as well as written assignments ... that she believes GLBTQ “lifestyles” to be identity confusion. The faculty identifies Miss Keeton’s views as indicative of her improper professional disposition to persons of such populations. Dr. Anderson-Wiley... told Miss Keeton that she had a choice of standing by the Bible or by the ACA Code of Ethics. Miss Keeton stated her fidelity is to the Bible.

On Monday, June 14, 2010, Miss Keeton sent an email message to Drs. Deaner, Anderson-Wiley, and Schenck, which stated as follows:

My Christian moral views are not just about me. I think the Bible’s teaching is true for all people, and it shows the right way to live.

responding by email to Miss Keeton later that day was Dr. Schenck:

I do not expect you to change your personal beliefs and values. What is the issue is if you believe your personal beliefs and values should be the same beliefs and values for all people. This is the unethical part—applying your own personal beliefs and values on other people and not truly accepting that others can have different beliefs and values that are equally valid as your own.

The faculty observed that Miss Keeton believes that other people should act in accordance with her moral values. That belief, the faculty wrote, contradicts the principles contained in the American Counseling Association and American School Counselor Association Code of Ethics. The professional counselor’s job is to help clients clarify their current feelings and behaviors and to help them reach the goals that they have determined for themselves, not to dictate what those goals should be, what morals they should possess, or what values they should adopt.

Dr. Schenck explained that while Miss Keeton is free to have points of view about how she personally should conduct and define herself, she may not believe that others should adopt the standards she personally is convinced are true.

Miss Keeton did state that she would not in a counseling session agree with the propriety of homosexual relations, nor affirm the propriety of a client pursuing a life of, and a self-definition based on, homosexual relations.

Dr. Schenck and Dr. Deaner explained to Miss Keeton that it was a life and death matter to not affirm a client’s sexual decisions, and that failing to do so has led and could lead to suicides by clients who are not affirmed in their sexual preferences.

Keeting wrote:

in order to finish the counseling program you are requiring me to ... commit now that if I ever may have a client who wants me to affirm their decision to have an abortion or engage in gay, lesbian, or transgender behavior, I will do that. I will not affirm the morality of those behaviors in a counseling situation.

Damn them pesky facts.

Alceste

Vagabond
Damn them pesky facts.

Damn them all to hell. I hope now bubba can cease his tiresome assertions that her dismissal has nothing to do with her ability or willingness to provide counseling in compliance with the standards of her chosen profession.

Alceste

Vagabond
I've been in grad school since 2003, and I have been through so many things that weed out people who can't handle professional scholarship. There are many, many people that lose out on the first thing: write a paper using a sound but creative use of a critical method.

All languages are on pass/fail - I had to translate a scholarly article in German and another in French. With a time limit.

I had to have advanced level Greek and Hebrew.

That was just to get in to the program.

On the other hand, if you believed Greeks were immoral and refused to write the course material because of your beliefs I'm sure you'd have a vocal supporter for your expulsion lawsuit in bubba - as long as you picked such nonsense up in a church, that is.