• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Orders Student to Alter Religious Views on Homosexuality, Or Be Dismissed

brbubba

Underling
You should really read at least some of the thread before posting nonsense like this.

Her major is a special one with special rules. She is going to be counseling children and teenagers. If she wants to do that, she needs to show that she can do it in a professional and non-biased way. No one is legislating morality. She's welcome to go into IT or English or Science or many other fields and get a degree without having to change anything about her stupid beliefs on homosexuality or anything else. But when you choose a field and a major, you need to meet the requirements for that major. That's all they're asking of her.

Agreed on that and I was even the Devil's advocate throughout the entire thread. She was definitely an idiot and nothing would have happened if she had kept her big clapper shut. However, she was toeing a very fine line, more or less defying the mandates of the school's counseling guidelines. She pretty much all but said that she was going to council homosexuals into doing conversion therapy.

Midnight Pete

You should really read at least some of the thread before posting nonsense like this.

Her major is a special one with special rules. She is going to be counseling children and teenagers. If she wants to do that, she needs to show that she can do it in a professional and non-biased way. No one is legislating morality. She's welcome to go into IT or English or Science or many other fields and get a degree without having to change anything about her stupid beliefs on homosexuality or anything else. But when you choose a field and a major, you need to meet the requirements for that major. That's all they're asking of her.

I read the thread, and it's obvious why you're calling what I wrote "nonsense." You should be admiring of my honesty.

Midnight Pete

Is that because you regard it as uncommon?

Honesty (being true to oneself) is easy if there's no peer pressure involved. Honesty becomes uncommon wherever the need to conform is greatest. Not everyone will voice what they know to be an unpopular or controversial opinion.

dust1n

Zindīq
"The Counselor Education Program is grounded in the core principles of the American Counseling Association and the American School Counselor Association, which defines the roles and responsibilities of professional counselors in its code of ethics," the statement read. "The code is included in the curriculum of the counseling education program, which states that counselors in training have the same responsibility as professional counselors to understand and follow the ACA Code of Ethics."

The Code of Ethics prohibits counselors from discriminating based on a number of factors, including gender identity and sexual orientation. "Counselors do not discriminate against clients, students, employees
, supervisees, or research participants in a manner that has a negative impact on these persons," the code says.

She had full time to read the school's code of ethics at the beginning of her education and chose to not do that. It's her own fault that her bigotry is now coming back to bite her in the ***. She was given instructions regarding this issue at the very beginning of the school semester, and if chooses later not to follow them, she has no actual sway to win the court case.

Wannabe Yogi

Honesty (being true to oneself) is easy if there's no peer pressure involved. Honesty becomes uncommon wherever the need to conform is greatest. Not everyone will voice what they know to be an unpopular or controversial opinion.

This is a good idea for many people in many different jobs. What many of you are failing to remember is psychology is a medical profession with rules of diagnoses. Would any of you want to go to see a doctor who did not believe in germs so he refused to wash his hands between patients. This woman is welcome to believe what she wants. I just would not want to send my child to see her The college has a responsibility to keep people like her from getting a license.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The college has a responsibility to keep people like her from getting a license.
True. Also the reputation of the college and ACA is placed in good faith upon those who graduate and become licensed. Letting someone graduate with those views is saying that the standards have lowered.

Smoke

Done here.
Ordering someone to change their religious views on homosexuality? Since when can you legislate morality in such a ham-fisted fashion? So what happens when this farce swings into high-gear with Christians being faced with dismissal for not openly renouncing their faith?
Sometimes one's religious views make one unfit for a particular occupation, particularly if one insists, as she does, that one has the right to implement them in one's professional practice.

Wannabe Yogi

Agreed on that and I was even the Devil's advocate throughout the entire thread. She was definitely an idiot and nothing would have happened if she had kept her big clapper shut. However, she was toeing a very fine line, more or less defying the mandates of the school's counseling guidelines. She pretty much all but said that she was going to council homosexuals into doing conversion therapy.

Good point ! And conversion therapy has been found though studies to damage gay youths. Should we toss science out the window so people can believe any superstition they want to believe even though we know it will hurt the public at large? Why even license people to practice in the medical professions. Maybe the next step should be exorcism instead of Therapy. I know Christians who believe many gay people are demon possessed. They could practice exorcisms in Christians psych hospitals rather then meds or therapy. I am sure it would be a very popular alternative to what we do today.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I read the thread, and it's obvious why you're calling what I wrote "nonsense." You should be admiring of my honesty.

It's even worse that you read the thread and still posted what you did. You're right that it's obvious why I called it nonsense...because it's nonsense. What is this honesty? Why should I admire you telling your honest opinion? That should be expected. What I would admire is you reading the thread and realizing that the comments you made were wrong and therefore didn't feel the need to post them.

Midnight Pete

If you ever went to the emergency room with a ruptured appendix, I'm sure you'd likewise admire the honesty of a Christian Scientist ER doctor who decided it was best to treat you by reading passages from Science and Health.

Lucky for me, there would be no Christian Science doctor in the ER when what I need is a medical doctor. This is not to say that I don't appreciate the honesty of Christian Scientists. I just wouldn't want them to try to treat a ruptured appendix with prayer when this is obviously the wrong approach. Prayer is good, but medicine first!

Midnight Pete

It's even worse that you read the thread and still posted what you did. You're right that it's obvious why I called it nonsense...because it's nonsense. What is this honesty? Why should I admire you telling your honest opinion? That should be expected. What I would admire is you reading the thread and realizing that the comments you made were wrong and therefore didn't feel the need to post them.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I make no retractions.

The Neo Nerd

I've tried 6 times to write a post on petes honesty argument.

But every time i am unable to bring forth the words to illustrate just how STUPID petes "i gave you my honest opinion" argument is.

-Q

Wannabe Yogi

Lucky for me, there would be no Christian Science doctor in the ER when what I need is a medical doctor. This is not to say that I don't appreciate the honesty of Christian Scientists. I just wouldn't want them to try to treat a ruptured appendix with prayer when this is obviously the wrong approach. Prayer is good, but medicine first!

And lucky for all the Gay youth that there will be one less mental health professional pushing conversion therapy even though it has been shown to hurt people.

Midnight Pete

And lucky for all the Gay youth that there will be one less mental health professional pushing conversion therapy even though it has been shown to hurt people.

"Exodus" style conversion-therapy seems a lot like the Ludovico Technique from A Clockwork Orange. Is it just a matter of finding that HOMO/HETERO switch inside a person's brain and flipping it? If it is in fact demonstrably possible to turn a gay person straight via conversion therapy, it must be also possible to do the reverse.

This seems like a medieval horror updated for our times. It's like the 1984 hero Winston Smith being tortured by O'Brien until he believes something he knows to be a lie.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
"Exodus" style conversion-therapy seems a lot like the Ludovico Technique from A Clockwork Orange. Is it just a matter of finding that HOMO/HETERO switch inside a person's brain and flipping it? If it is in fact demonstrably possible to turn a gay person straight via conversion therapy, it must be also possible to do the reverse.
It doesn't work like that. Conversion therapies have shown to make patients more depressed and more suicidal than when they started. What they don't tell you is that you aren't being cured, you are being shamed into repressing your sexuality. They also lack any real evidence to support they work, especially in the long run.
But no, there simply is no switch as you put it.

ButTheCatCameBack

It doesn't work like that. Conversion therapies have shown to make patients more depressed and more suicidal than when they started. What they don't tell you is that you aren't being cured, you are being shamed into repressing your sexuality. They also lack any real evidence to support they work, especially in the long run.
But no, there simply is no switch as you put it.

I remember watching on show on those type of places and something about people working to take legal action against such places. As long as they find good grounds to do so I wish them the best because those so called "deconversion" places sound horrible.