• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians and Muslims Worship the Same God?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well at least we know that some christians worship the same god as muslims do, even if not all or most christians do. As for the more spread idea of god amongst the larger number of christians, i'd say no its not the same god, because in which ever way you explain it its not the same idea that Muslims have of god.
I agree 100% and one would have to have a fair understanding of Islam to understand why what you say is so. In my humble opinion, Christians who assert that they pray to the same God as Muslims, in a form of well intentioned interfaith camaraderie, do not fully appreciate the incredible blunder of their thinking.

How many Christian's here believe that Jesus is second to Muhammad as a prophet of god?

Be honest, now.

Last edited:

kai

ragamuffin
I don't want to be on the middle of this but I just want to clarify the concept of trinity:

The word "trinity" did not came from Jesus. You search the Bible and you will never encounter that word. That's why the other "christian" sects that deny this belief use this argument to prove that the Trinity was a mere invention of the Catholic Church.
A little history will enable us to understand why this word "Trinity" had come in. It was the key word that settled a problem caused by the Bible.
Early christians accepted the existence of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (as what we can found in "our" scriptures) But since they had no time to study the relationship among the divine persons due to persecutions (they had to flee constantly), there was no problem for years. But when Constantine issued the edict of Milan that gave Christians the freedom to practice their faith in 313 AD, it had give them more time to study the Gospels. The first thing that intrigued them was the relationship among the divine persons. How can the existence of these 3 be reconciled with the belief of one God? Since that time, there was no declaration about this, the bishops reflected. One of them was Archbishop Arius of Constantinople. He claimed that Jesus was an "inferior God". This started the controversy that ended in the council of Nicea, where the bishops gather, with the blessing of the Pope, proclaimed that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are equal: One God in three (but not separated) divine persons, and where the word "trinity" was officially used to describe the Christian God.

Thanks for that. i would just like to say that concept was for Christians to debate and argue over because ,in Islam there is no other divinity but Allah.Hence no debate or clarification was or is needed by Muslims.

Last edited:

Renji

Thanks for that. i would just like to say that concept was for Christians to debate and argue over because ,in Islam there is no other divinity but Allah.Hence no debate or clarification was or is needed .

Yes, I get that. That's why this topic is never reconciled along the majority of christians and muslims because of our different concept in God. And sadly, many christian sects argue about the concept of trinity. That makes it appear that the RC is polytheistic.

kai

ragamuffin
Yes, I get that. That's why this topic is never reconciled along the majority of christians and muslims because of our different concept in God. And sadly, many christian sects argue about the concept of trinity. That makes it appear that the RC is polytheistic.

Yes a question i have asked before here is -when does your perception of God become so different to someone else's that it becomes a perception of a different God? whats the tipping point?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
in Islam there is no other divinity but Allah, hence no debate or clarification was or is needed.
That is a point Christians just do not seem to appreciate. Some Christians do not seem to understand that by being supportive of Islamic theology they undermine their own theology.

Muslims would probably be inclined to ask, "If we follow the same god, then why are you still a Christian?"

Last edited:

Renji

Yes a question i have asked before here is -when does your perception of God become so different to someone else's that it becomes a perception of a different God? whats the tipping point?

The difference maybe the divinity of Christ.... But still, we (the Catholic Christians as well as the whole Christendom) believe that there's only one God. It's just hard to point that out especially when dealing with two religions that have different doctrines on God.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It's just hard to point that out especially when dealing with two religions that have different doctrines on God.
It goes a bit deeper than that Lawrence. One of the things that made life difficult for Muhammad while he lived in Mecca originally was when he began to claim that Christians and Jews had altered their scriptures without providing any evidence whatsoever. From the onset Islam cast doubts on the very foundations of Judaism and Christianity and insinuated itself into the Abrahamic mythology.

Renji

It goes a bit deeper than that Lawrence. One of the things that made life difficult for Muhammad while he lived in Mecca originally was when he began to claim that Christians and Jews had altered their scriptures without providing any evidence whatsoever. From the onset Islam cast doubts on the very foundations of Judaism and Christianity and insinuated itself into the Abrahamic mythology.

Did Muhammad really wanted to bring a new religion or to (sort of) reform the ancient and the "true one"? This is not my point on the issue though, I just think that it would be good to ask this.

kai

ragamuffin
The difference maybe the divinity of Christ.... But still, we (the Catholic Christians as well as the whole Christendom) believe that there's only one God. It's just hard to point that out especially when dealing with two religions that have different doctrines on God.

You can believe there's only one god and that its the same one, but to avoid arguments you would have to leave out Jesus and Mohamed.The very two vital ingredients to both religions. to say "Allah is my God but Mohamed is not his prophet" is what people are saying and that has very serious ramifications.

Last edited:

kai

ragamuffin
Did Muhammad really wanted to bring a new religion or to (sort of) reform the ancient and the "true one"? This is not my point on the issue though, I just think that it would be good to ask this.

Good question! He came to Bring the last revelation of the one true religion and that religion is Islam.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
No one worships the same god. Everyone's concept of god is a little different than everyone else's.

Renji

You can believe there's only one god and that its the same one, but to avoid arguments you would have to leave out Jesus and Mohamed.The very two vital ingredients to both religions. to say "Allah is my God but Mohamed is not his prophet" is what people are saying and that has very serious ramifications.

What made me think of starting this thread is this: Jesus in Christianity and Isa in Islam maybe in different nature. But the message of these two seems to be the same. Christ said "I speak just as the Father told me." (John 12:50) and "Isa" (as far as I know) said "I never said anything to people except as you commanded me." There seems to be something similar within them, which ( I think) cannot be bridged because they've been viewed differently.

Last edited:

kai

ragamuffin
No one worships the same god. Everyone's concept of god is a little different than everyone else's.

I agree with that but if we use a framework or guideline such as a particular religion then our perception of our God is kind of tailored by that religion.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
So I guess you're not aware that Christianity is a pagan religion
no .. you're speaking of Roman Catholism which is not Christian ( although they claim to be )

I'm speaking of Christians. There's no need for me to separate any of you.

read your Bible .. get educated

I'll let that slide because you're a noob but so you know....I know your book as well as the Quran...so before you go accusing another religion of their heinous acts I suggest you get more acquainted with your bible..especially the OT.:sarcastic

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
can you tell me the denominations in Christianity that do not see Jesus as the son of God ,being God or part of God in some way? The divinity of Jesus is not the biggest difference it is a complete opposite.

Off the top of my head I think the Unitarians, Jehovah's Witness, Ebionites and Mormons don't believe the biblical Yeshua is "God". As far as "The divinity of Jesus is not the biggest difference it is a complete opposite".....I didn't say it was ("the") rather ("one of the biggest differences). I'm sure there are plenty more but Muslims find that to be a blasphemy against their god..

Also there is no concept of original sin in Islam so is there also Christian denominations that do not have original sin in their belief system?

I'm not aware of any Christian denomination denying the concept of "original sin" but again...I did say the difference between Muslims and Christians was ("one of the biggest). Suggesting "original son" to Muslims is minute compared to saying Isa is "God", "God" begat a child or associating anything or anyone with "God"....That is a blasphemy to them.

dadman

You do realize that every major branch of the Christian Church in existence today can trace its root back to Catholicism, right?

Oh, I'm sure that is what they tell you . . .
Catholicism was born when Constantine tried to make Christianity a state religion ..
but regardless of what the Catholic church teaches .. Christian doctrine is derived from the letters of the Apostles ..

no further

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
How many Christian's here believe that Jesus is second to Muhammad as a prophet of god?

Be honest, now.

I think I understand the question and I don't think any Christian here would think that Yeshua comes second but do Muslims believe that? When speaking to Muslims I'm told that because they view Yeshua (Isa) as a mighty messenger...his message was delivered to the people in his day and time as other prophets had done in their day and time. Muhammad, according to them, was a prophet in their day and time who delivered the message to them. That may be why, in their Shahada, they say Muhammad is the messenger of "Allah".

Last edited: