• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians really overly persecute homosexuals?

Smoke

Done here.
waitasec- People don't choose to have mental disorders. It is not a choice. So do you condone pedophilia? If not, you are a hypocrite.
What a stupid thing to say. Before you say anything at all about homosexuality, it might be helpful to try the statement out with "heterosexuality" as a handy test of whether it might actually make sense, or just reflects your own bigotry.

For instance, "If you condone heterosexuality but don't condone pedophilia, you're a hypocrite."

See how easy it is to detect nonsense?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
" A person can totally love another person and still think that something they are doing may be wrong."

This is a two way street. One can disagree with what some Christians are doing but not hate the Christians themselves. I personally believe that the idea that homosexuality is a sin, is a pointless and a harmful belief; that it a mistake to uphold that belief. I will never suppress their freedom of expression or their freedom of religion, but I will speak out against this belief because of what I believe. At the very least, I think that is only fair, ChristineES.

I wouldn't believe any thing different. I don't expect everyone to like everything about me. I have some things about me that people may or may not like- whether good or bad things, it doesn't matter. If someone hated me because I was a bigoted, narrow-minded person who was a hypocrite, etc, etc that is one thing. If someone hated me just because of my faith, that is a whole different thing, because I don't believe I am a bigot, I try to broaden my mind all the time, and I try hard not to be a hypocrite. In other words, just because I follow Jesus, doesn't mean I am a bigot who hates all gays; I don't hate ANY gays. I don't hate anyone, period (or at least I try not to).

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
What a stupid thing to say. Before you say anything at all about homosexuality, it might be helpful to try the statement out with "heterosexuality" as a handy test of whether it might actually make sense, or just reflects your own bigotry.

For instance, "If you condone heterosexuality but don't condone pedophilia, you're a hypocrite."

In the context of what waitasec is saying, it makes perfect sense. Her defense has been that homosexuality is not a choice. Thus, to not condone homosexuality is bigotry. Pedophilia is not a choice, so by her logic, to not condone pedophilia, one would have to be a bigot. This was directed at her, based on the context of what she has been saying. This is based on the belief that she has showcased in this thread. So yes, it does make perfect sense in context.

The problem, as Christine pointed out, is that a small aspect, such as who I sleep with, does not define who I am. It is only one characteristic. I'm a heterosexual. However, I don't condone all heterosexual sex, in the same manner that I don't condone all homosexual sex. Is that wrong? Not at all. If I don't condone heterosexual sex, big deal. All it would mean is that I don't approve of it. It doesn't mean I don't approve of the person, just that I don't approve of that one characteristic. I don't approve of many things that my friends, and even family do, but that does not mean I don't approve of them in general.

waitasec

Veteran Member
waitasec- People don't choose to have mental disorders. It is not a choice. So do you condone pedophilia? If not, you are a hypocrite.

pedophilia is the rape of a child it has NOTHING to do with 2 consenting mutually attracted individuals...of the same sex.

are you saying 2 consenting mutually attracted individuals are mentally disabled because THEY BOTH WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH EACH OTHER?

this might be a game to you but lives are being wronged, peoples freedoms are being overlooked and this underlying ugly truth has to be brought up to the surface in order for progress to be achieved.

it is unbelievable to me how some people put homosexuals in the same box as a pedophiles...it is unbelievable how ignorant people are

waitasec

Veteran Member

:clap
:D

thank you!!!

Smoke

Done here.
In the context of what waitasec is saying, it makes perfect sense. Her defense has been that homosexuality is not a choice. Thus, to not condone homosexuality is bigotry. Pedophilia is not a choice, so by her logic, to not condone pedophilia, one would have to be a bigot. This was directed at her, based on the context of what she has been saying. This is based on the belief that she has showcased in this thread. So yes, it does make perfect sense in context.
I guess when she's talking to certain people, she needs to specify that it's ridiculous to stigmatize a condition which is not a choice unless it involves raping children or other grievous violations of somebody else's rights. Most of us understand that raping children is wrong and don't feel the need to specify that, but maybe waitasec needs to consider the moral capacity of her audience.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There is a huge difference between homosexuality and pedophilia; In homosexuality, there are no victims- and no one is being harmed (if it's consensual)- the same with heterosexual consensual sex. In pedophilia (I am talking about small children, mind you), a child may very well be harmed if an adult has sex with her- even if the child doesn't protest.
I know this is out of context.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I wouldn't believe any thing different. I don't expect everyone to like everything about me. I have some things about me that people may or may not like- whether good or bad things, it doesn't matter. If someone hated me because I was a bigoted, narrow-minded person who was a hypocrite, etc, etc that is one thing. If someone hated me just because of my faith, that is a whole different thing, because I don't believe I am a bigot, I try to broaden my mind all the time, and I try hard not to be a hypocrite. In other words, just because I follow Jesus, doesn't mean I am a bigot who hates all gays; I don't hate ANY gays. I don't hate anyone, period (or at least I try not to).

if people do not like the choices you make is another thing ENTIRELY

are you saying we are all bi-sexual and choose which sex we are attracted to and the right sex to choose would be the opposite....
how absurd

i'm not saying you hate gays but the words you use to describe how you feel towards them are inclined towards being prejudice

using the word condone is putting yourself in a position of authority
saying homosexuals are not persecuted comes from ignorance
tell that to all the people that have been killed for being gay

waitasec

Veteran Member
I guess when she's talking to certain people, she needs to specify that it's ridiculous to stigmatize a condition which is not a choice unless it involves raping children or other grievous violations of somebody else's rights. Most of us understand that raping children is wrong and don't feel the need to specify that, but maybe waitasec needs to consider the moral capacity of her audience.

you are absolutely correct in that assessment

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
pedophilia is the rape of a child it has NOTHING to do with 2 consenting mutually attracted individuals...of the same sex.

are you saying 2 consenting mutually attracted individuals are mentally disabled because THEY BOTH WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH EACH OTHER?

this might be a game to you but lives are being wronged, peoples freedoms are being overlooked and this underlying ugly truth has to be brought up to the surface in order for progress to be achieved.

it is unbelievable to me how some people put homosexuals in the same box as a pedophiles...it is unbelievable how ignorant people are
I didn't put homosexuals in the same box as pedophiles. I never stated that homosexuality was a mental disability. I didn't even say I condone pedophilia, or that i don't condone homosexuality. Nice way trying to misrepresent what I stated. But as much was expected. If anything though, you put homosexuality and pedophilia in the same box. Let me explain.

You've stated over and over again that homosexuality if not a choice (I agree on this, as I've clearly stated myself). You've also stated: ""i don't condone their behavior" is saying i don't condone who they are."

Pedophilia is not a choice. Having a mental disorder is not a choice. So that is their natural state. Thus, by what you are saying, if you don't condone their behavior, then you don't condone who they are. You are being a bigot by your own definition.

In addition though, you've also stated: ""I do not condone their behavior" is the unwillingness to reason with someone’s inalienable incontrovertible right to be who they are it's like saying I do not accept, allow, grant their right to breathe." Do you not accept a pedophiles inalienable incontrovertible right to be who they are? Or are you saying something like you do not accept, allow, grant their right to breathe?

You clearly have prejudices as well.

Oh, and since it seems like this is becoming a need anymore, I don't condone pedophilia. I do condone homosexuality. I support their rights and have no problem with them in general.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
if people do not like the choices you make is another thing ENTIRELY

are you saying we are all bi-sexual and choose which sex we are attracted to and the right sex to choose would be the opposite....
how absurd

i'm not saying you hate gays but the words you use to describe how you feel towards them are inclined towards being prejudice

using the word condone is putting yourself in a position of authority
saying homosexuals are not persecuted comes from ignorance
tell that to all the people that have been killed for being gay

You put words in my mouth, I never said any such thing.What I don't condone is the harming of another person. A person can be attracted to small children and never touch a child. Attraction is something that just happens, acting on it takes an effort. I am pretty sure that gays are born that way- so I don't condemn them or judge them, even if they weren't born that way, I still would not judge them or condemn them. I like and accept people unless they do something that would harm someone- including child molestation. That doesn't mean I don't love them as a person, but I would choose not to hang around the person. And I did say that in homosexuality, no one was being harmed, so that would not be the same as someone who does harm someone.

no-body

I didn't put homosexuals in the same box as pedophiles. I never stated that homosexuality was a mental disability. I didn't even say I condone pedophilia, or that i don't condone homosexuality. Nice way trying to misrepresent what I stated. But as much was expected. If anything though, you put homosexuality and pedophilia in the same box. Let me explain.

You've stated over and over again that homosexuality if not a choice (I agree on this, as I've clearly stated myself). You've also stated: ""i don't condone their behavior" is saying i don't condone who they are."

Pedophilia is not a choice. Having a mental disorder is not a choice. So that is their natural state. Thus, by what you are saying, if you don't condone their behavior, then you don't condone who they are. You are being a bigot by your own definition.

In addition though, you've also stated: ""I do not condone their behavior" is the unwillingness to reason with someone’s inalienable incontrovertible right to be who they are it's like saying I do not accept, allow, grant their right to breathe." Do you not accept a pedophiles inalienable incontrovertible right to be who they are? Or are you saying something like you do not accept, allow, grant their right to breathe?

Oh, and since it seems like this is becoming a need anymore, I don't condone pedophilia. I do condone homosexuality. I support their rights and have no problem with them in general.

I really love the way bigotry becomes coded when it is no longer acceptable.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Yes, there are many cases that homosexuals are treated sub-par, but you are grossly exaggerating.

This is how I've been treated by gay haters. Don't tell me I'm grossly overexaggerating. I've been acused of missionizing children, I've had things thrown on me, ice, drink, by people calling me the f word. Don't you tell me I'm overexaggerating. I'm gay and you're not. I've been verbally abused, accused of pedophilia, all the above. It seems to me you want to whitewash the severity of this issue.

waitasec

Veteran Member

then what is this?
In the context of what waitasec is saying, it makes perfect sense. Her defense has been that homosexuality is not a choice. Thus, to not condone homosexuality is bigotry. Pedophilia is not a choice, so by her logic, to not condone pedophilia, one would have to be a bigot.

why bring it up at all?

homosexuality is NOT a choice

don't throw murders into the mix too...

once you UNDERSTAND this has NOTHING TO DO WITH CHOICE
then you can see how absurd this is

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
This is how I've been treated by gay haters. Don't tell me I'm grossly overexaggerating. I've been acused of missionizing children, I've had things thrown on me, ice, drink, by people calling me the f word. Don't you tell me I'm overexaggerating. I'm gay and you're not. I've been verbally abused, accused of pedophilia, all the above. It seems to me you want to whitewash the severity of this issue.
You suggested that you couldn't walk out of your house without being attacked because you're gay. So suggest that is true for all homosexuals is an exaggeration.

I've been brutally beaten by people because I was a Muslim during 9/11. If I said that Muslims can't walk about of the house with out being brutally beaten just for being Muslim, wouldn't that be an over exaggeration? Yes it would.

But then again, I've covered all of this before. It's not my fault you didn't take the time to actually read what I've said before you started whining.

waitasec

Veteran Member

you support pediphile's rights?

you realize how ridiculous this is

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
then what is this?

why bring it up at all?

homosexuality is NOT a choice

don't throw murders into the mix too...

once you UNDERSTAND this has NOTHING TO DO WITH CHOICE
then you can see how absurd this is
Because you are showing that you're a hypocrite, and by your definition, a bigot. It is not my fault that you can't understand what I've been saying. It's not my fault that you refuse to acknowledge the fact that I don't believe homosexuality is a choice (which I've stated over and over again). It's not my fault you can't actually respond to what I've stated.

Why argue that homosexuality is not a choice? Have I stated otherwise? No. Maybe now, since we've gone over that over and over again, the homosexuality is not a choice, you can move on and address what I've stated. Maybe then you can see how absurd it is to argue a point with me that we both agree on.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
you support pediphile's rights?

you realize how ridiculous this is
So we should take away all rights of pedophiles? So you advocate that not all people are equal? So you advocate discriminating against pedophiles? You are a hypocrite, and by your definition, a bigot.

Also, if you look at what I said, I support their rights came after I stated that I do condone homosexuality, and thus, it would be logical to assume that I'm talking about homosexual rights.