• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians really overly persecute homosexuals?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I would just like to say, maybe this is why people Christians aren't shouting down those other Christians who discriminate against homosexuals. They are afraid or simply don't want to deal with the misrepresentation that goes along with not supporting everything about homosexuality.

no-body

unfortunately we'll see a lot more of this type of thing as LGTBs gain more rights and acceptance. It's the whole "those black people sure are uppity aren't they?" syndrome.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I would just like to say, maybe this is why people Christians aren't shouting down those other Christians who discriminate against homosexuals. They are afraid or simply don't want to deal with the misrepresentation that goes along with not supporting everything about homosexuality.

What exactly does it mean to not support everything about homosexuality? Either they accept gay people or they don't. This isn't a two way street.

Rainbow Mage

"Fundamentalists" aren't a sect. Senedjem did make it clear that he wasn't talking about all Christians, but about some Christians. Maybe his terminology didn't suit you, but he didn't say, as you have accused him and others of saying, that all Christians persecute gay people.

That is correct. I said fundamentalists, and I stand by what I said. I've yet to see any fundamentalist who doesn't have a Westboro Baptist attitude toward LGBT people.

Obviously, that depends to some extent on where you live, but gay and transgender people do have to be alert to that possibility, even in generally gay-friendly cities like New York and San Francisco.

Yes it does matter a great deal where you live. Having lived in the Bible belt most of my life, I've had to deal with persecution for who I am on more then one count. I am glad to be in Oregon now, where things are a lot more open.

Zadok

Zadok
Uh yeah, freedom is great. Now give me one good reason why I would want to give up my fulfilling and productive family life to satisfy your bizarre collection of religious taboos.

I never said any such thing. Please try to pay attention. What I oppose is anyone that declares they have no power or ability to exert will and make a decision in such matters - that they are slaves to forces they cannot control.

To those that say they have made a knowledgeable choice based on their will and not some pre-determined uncontrolled force acting on them - I have no argument. Only those that claim they have no input or power to choose what they have become.

I may not make the same choice but I applaud your ability to choose. And I declare to all - choose what you will be – do not ever claim you have not power over what you are. It is a lie - You do have power.

However, if you have arrived at what you are by default, not exercising your power of will - your enjoyment of your circumstance is and illusion.

Zadok

Zadok

Zadok

One thing I personally despise is someone that thinks they have the right to speak and define other's opinions. Sir - you have no right to speak of what anyone else thinks or reason they do nor not do anything. You may speak for yourself but to speak for others without their endorsement is in my opinion one of the worse kinds of bigotry.

Zadok

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
What exactly does it mean to not support everything about homosexuality? Either they accept gay people or they don't. This isn't a two way street.
Christians believe that homosexuality is a sin. However, the sin is having sex with a person of the same sex. A Christian may not support you sleeping with a person of the same sex, as they consider it a sin, but that doesn't mean they don't support you having equal rights.

Basically, it is like, I may not support everything you say, but I will fight for your right to say it.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
That is correct. I said fundamentalists, and I stand by what I said. I've yet to see any fundamentalist who doesn't have a Westboro Baptist attitude toward LGBT people.
And that is not showing intolerance and prejudice? I mean seriously, you are showing the same attitude that you are condemning, a narrow minded prejudice.
Yes it does matter a great deal where you live. Having lived in the Bible belt most of my life, I've had to deal with persecution for who I am on more then one count. I am glad to be in Oregon now, where things are a lot more open.
You know you are supporting what I've said don't you? Do you feel persecution every time you walk down the street? Do you fear every time you walk out your door? If not, as it seems like you're saying, you have just shown me that you exaggerated the problem.

Rainbow Mage

Christians believe that homosexuality is a sin. However, the sin is having sex with a person of the same sex. A Christian may not support you sleeping with a person of the same sex, as they consider it a sin, but that doesn't mean they don't support you having equal rights.

Basically, it is like, I may not support everything you say, but I will fight for your right to say it.

You do realize that by calling my lifestyle a sin it's an attack right? Even if they don't think it is. It's an attack on me for something I cannot help.

Rainbow Mage

And that is not showing intolerance and prejudice? I mean seriously, you are showing the same attitude that you are condemning, a narrow minded prejudice.

You know, I will repeat what I've said before. If you know any fundamentalists who don't see homosexuals this way, please refer me in their direction.

Jeremiah

Are you joking? You've attacked just about every homosexual that has spoken up in this thread.

Jeremiah

According to Fallingblood, if you are a homosexual and a member of these forums, then you must be a narrow-minded bigot who whines too much.

Jeremiah

"Basically, it is like, I may not support everything you say, but I will fight for your right to say it."

Then one would fight for my right to speak out against what I disagree with and think is harmful to others? Namely, speaking out against the belief that homosexuality is a sin?

no-body

My oh my...

My call is a call to be free – to break away from the false doctrines that humans cannot determine their fate. I believe in being free and I believe we all can be free. However, I have learned by observation and experience that freedom is the most difficult effort that must continue to struggle against the forces to enslave us all with ever breath we take for as long as we can breath – never giving in ever to whatever force challenges for control of who we are. My voice proclaims freedom. Strangely for reasons I do not comprehend some despise freedom so I expect opposition but still – I declare freedom.
Zadok

Posts like this really, really scare me as an LGTB person. The amount of Orwellian double think and implications behind all that psuedo science makes me think of Nazi Germany. It's really a shame that the LDS is mired in this type of stuff but I suppose that's what happens when you are intelligent enough to realize you are being bigoted and need to find a way to sleep at night.

waitasec

Veteran Member

and what exactly is "everything about homosexuality"
1 the fact that they "over exaggerate" persecution
2 are whining about inequality
3 or they are attracted to their own sex

and explain what you mean by misrepresentation

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
You do realize that by calling my lifestyle a sin it's an attack right? Even if they don't think it is. It's an attack on me for something I cannot help.
So it's not alright for them to believe that sleeping with a member of the same sex to be a sin? I mean if that is all you have, then I really don't see why the problem. I'm called a sinner over and over again. I have a god before God, which is breaking one of the ten commandments. I'm a sinner. Oh well.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
You know, I will repeat what I've said before. If you know any fundamentalists who don't see homosexuals this way, please refer me in their direction.
I was a fundamentalist who didn't see homosexuality that way. I saw it as a sin, that being, the act of a person sleeping with another person of the same sex. That was it. That was the official position of my church. I've already told you this. In your thread, there were other members who stated the same thing as well. Actually, there was one person who even stood up. It's not my fault you ignore this.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Are you joking? You've attacked just about every homosexual that has spoken up in this thread.
Really? So I can't attack people who are attacking me? It had nothing to do with them being homosexual, it had to do with them attacking me. And I disagree that I've attacked just about every homosexual that has spoken up in this thread.