• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God take humanity seriously?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
You don't like it, fine. Its just a phrase. I happen to like it and I think its valid.

As far as Im concerned a species that has figured out genetic engineering and is exploring the other planets in its own solar system qualifies as highly evolved.

:p

Sharks and crocodiles are pretty highly-evolved, too. They've been around for millions of years.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You don't like it, fine. Its just a phrase. I happen to like it and I think its valid.

As far as Im concerned a species that has figured out genetic engineering and is exploring the other planets in its own solar system qualifies as highly evolved.

:p

Replace "highly evolved" with "technologically advanced" and I have less problem with the statement you're making. Phrases like "highly evolved" perpetuate misconceptions about the theory of evolution. As a scientist, it bugs me. Sorry, I can't help myself on that one. There are plenty of ways for humans to rationalize their anthropocentrism and specism; ToE isn't among them.

james2ko

Before we master genetic engineering and fix humanity ourselves?

6000 years have elapsed and we can't even cure the common cold. How long do you want Him to wait?

I don't think we need God. His help would be appreciated, maybe.

Which is it?? yes we need his help, no we don't or maybe He should help?:confused:

that would be kind of funny in a way, and pitiful too on Gods part. Just to be a complete scumbag he would prevent humanity from rising above its genetic flaws and into perfection - without Gods help - so that he could say "I told you so!"

But you said we don't need his help. :confused:

But you know what, after all the suffering and evil that humanity has endured over the thousands and millions of years, Maybe God doesn't deserve to be a part of our world if hes turned his back on humanity for all those eons.

Don't fret, He promises He'll make it up to us soon..

maybe the window for allowing God to help us should be closed

Who's going to close it? And how??

So what you are saying in this post is if He intervenes, He's not giving us enough time to fix ourselves, If He delays, He has turned His back on humanity. Quite the fallacious gig you got going. :)

Last edited:

6000 years have elapsed and we can't even cure the common cold. How long do you want Him to wait?

6000 years? Do you believe in creation?

Your gauge of our level of development is whether or not we've cured the common cold? :sarcastic

I didn't realize hes waiting. What is he waiting for? Theres plenty he could do. Fix all our genetic errors. Eliminate disease. Feed all the starving people. Stop all natural disasters.

Which is it?? yes we need his help, no we don't or maybe He should help?:confused:

I said his help might be appreciated. Maybe not. It depends who you ask, and it depends on the circumstances of Gods involvement, or lack of involvement, with the human species. if I had that information I might be able to give you a better answer.

Don't fret, He promises He'll make it up to us soon..

You know this how?

Who's going to close it? And how??

This will be up to individuals to decide, or maybe governments haha

So what you are saying in this post is if He intervenes, He's not giving us enough time to fix ourselves,

Precisely. If we advance to the point that we'll genetically engineer ourselves into superhumans, free of all the flaws we currently have, then that will be the crowning achievement of our species, and a great step towards perfection - just like God, supposedly.

To think that God, after millions of years of not being involved with humanity, would all of a sudden decide to intervene at the moment before we achieve this ourselves, to prevent us from achieving it, in order to prove some petty point, whatever that point is I have no idea (I hope its not the magical garden story your gonna pull out, I really hope not). This, after having watched our species suffer for all those millions of years. That would be the definition of pitiful. It should be a dictionary example under the word pitiful.

If He delays, He has turned His back on humanity. Quite the fallacious gig you got going. :)

Last I checked, God isn't involved in our world, possibly never has been. That raises some serious questions about whether or not he even cares about humanity. Theres good arguments that can be made that he has turned his back on humanity, even though I'm pretty sure a lot of people want his help. Like all the starving people in the world, for instance...

Replace "highly evolved" with "technologically advanced" and I have less problem with the statement you're making. Phrases like "highly evolved" perpetuate misconceptions about the theory of evolution. As a scientist, it bugs me. Sorry, I can't help myself on that one. There are plenty of ways for humans to rationalize their anthropocentrism and specism; ToE isn't among them.

Ok, ok, if it makes you feel better we'll go with technologically advanced. Works just as well for my purposes :)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
And what if we dont agree? Is hell already prepared?

well lets put it this way,

if we dont agree and we dont want his involvement in our life, we'll get what we already have. We'll live a few short years, our life will be wrough with difficulties, with sickness and stress...then we will die. End of story.

Hell is death. Nothing more.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
We are highly evolved species in comparison to what? Ants or god?

All species known to exist in our Solar System. If we are to take the atheist point of view, then we are the most highly evolved species in the Universe because there is no evidence to the contrary. :p

if we dont agree and we dont want his involvement in our life, we'll get what we already have. We'll live a few short years, our life will be wrough with difficulties, with sickness and stress...then we will die. End of story.

Ah, so you say theres a choice. Good. I might just choose this option, then. I suppose we'd see what the deal was. I would expect nothing short of complete disclosure of all relevant information on Gods part. Like, why hasn't he helped us out? What has he been doing the last million years? Hey, maybe hes got a good answer for us. Or, maybe we'll find out hes a lunatic. Might be a lot of folks will choose the option of a few short years wrought with difficulty.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Ah, so you say theres a choice. Good. I might just choose this option, then. I suppose we'd see what the deal was. I would expect nothing short of complete disclosure of all relevant information on Gods part. Like, why hasn't he helped us out? What has he been doing the last million years? Hey, maybe hes got a good answer for us. Or, maybe we'll find out hes a lunatic. Might be a lot of folks will choose the option of a few short years wrought with difficulty.

yes, i suspect they likely will choose that option.

yes, i suspect they likely will choose that option.

What about you? Would you still want to be with God if you found out he is a lunatic?

As nice as it is to believe god is good and that he cares about us, reality might turn out to be completely different.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
What about you? Would you still want to be with God if you found out he is a lunatic?

As nice as it is to believe god is good and that he cares about us, reality might turn out to be completely different.

he has shown that he is not a lunatic. We have a full record of how he has dealt with the isrealites and others. He shows himself to be the opposite of a lunatic.

idav

Being
Premium Member
No, but who can? The ability to construct a functioning nuclear power plant is the result of the efforts of numerous people, not any single individual. Its a team effort! Go Humanity!
I'm interested in their potential to learn the material. Can't teach a shark anything before it takes a chomp of you.

he has shown that he is not a lunatic. We have a full record of how he has dealt with the isrealites and others. He shows himself to be the opposite of a lunatic.

Ah, the OT... where to begin...

1. Creates humans in a magical garden with a tree of knowledge that he tells them not to eat from, but lets an evil snake in, perhaps not knowing they would be tempted. But creates them in such a way that they could be tempted. This in itself isn't insane. Its just completely stupid. The insane part comes later, when he punishes them.

2. Tests Abraham by telling him to kill his own son.

3. Hardens Pharoahs heart so that he can punish him and the egyptians further.

4. Punishes a bunch of kids for calling a prophet bald head, by having bears maul them to death.

You know what, this list could probably get well into three digits, but I'll stop there. If this isn't obvious enough as to why the god of the OT is a lunatic, I can't help you...

I'm interested in their potential to learn the material.

LOL

Cats and bunnies I could understand. If we could genetically engineer cats and bunnies to be intelligent I think that could be good. But sharks and crocodiles? Those are some of the most dangerous species on earth! We are their food! Thats got bad idea written all over it.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
No, but who can? The ability to construct a functioning nuclear power plant is the result of the efforts of numerous people, not any single individual. Its a team effort! Go Humanity!
And a colony of bacteria could bring down the human race. Go bacteria!