• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eternal grovelling or nonexistence?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
IF you believe this mythology it most certainly IS an offer you can’t refuse. Done in the best Vito Corleone tradition. And if YOU did it you would be convicted of extortion and set to JAIL. And properly so.

Your loving and caring god is a common criminal and WOULD be in jail in any civilized society.
This particular mythology doesn't exist. What's your point?

sojourner

Right, which basically gives Christians an imaginary free pass to do anything as long as they repent, but that's a topic for a different discussion. The concept of hell makes it hard for some Christians to stop believing even when they have strong doubts. It's a horrible fear tactic, but it certainly fulfills its purpose and brings in the tithe.
You're way off in left field. We don't get a free pass. We're expected to hold up our end of the covenant. The "concept" of hell only serves to frighten if you don't believe in the concept of grace and unconditional love. The fear tactic is a smokescreen, invented by atheists. There is no legitimate fear tactic. There is no ulterior motive in inviting people to join the legitimate community.

sojourner

I already addressed this. I'm not refusing any offer, because the Bible is a work of fiction. I am criticizing the God of the Bible just as I would criticize any character in any work of fiction.
With one difference: Your criticism is fictional, because the Christian faith just don't work the way you think it does.

CarlinKnew

Jumping in....

Not really. You've given absolutely no justification for the rather bizarre assumption that suicide bombers are good people until evil, evil religion gets hold of them. Or did I just miss it?

I'm not assuming that all suicide bombers are good people doing the evil deeds of religion, but some are. There are interviews with the families and communities of deceased suicide bombers. Sometimes they're innocent teenagers with spotless criminal records that've been told that if they join a terrorist organization and do Allah's work, they'll be rewarded in the afterlife.

sojourner

Steven Weinberg put it perfectly: "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
Sometimes good people do do evil things, though...

sojourner

If someone tells you they'll kill your entire family if you don't do x, odds are you'll do x. Religion can have a similar effect. "Suicide bomb that building or God will be very upset with you."
I don't think God ever asked us to be suicide-bombers...

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm not assuming that all suicide bombers are good people doing the evil deeds of religion, but some are. There are interviews with the families and communities of deceased suicide bombers. Sometimes they're innocent teenagers with spotless criminal records that've been told that if they join a terrorist organization and do Allah's work, they'll be rewarded in the afterlife.
A spotless criminal record does not indicate a good morality, and families tend to be biased.

I have to agree with Enoch, here. Good people do not strap bombs to their chests and murder civilians, no matter what their priests tell them.

CarlinKnew

Would it be possible for a mod to condense sojourner's 17 one-line posts into a single post? Isn't there a rule against quintuplet posting or something, cause this is getting out of hand.

OmarKhayyam

"I don't think God ever asked us to be suicide-bombers..."

Maybe not YOUR version of god. OBL would beg to differ.