• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Parents: If God Told You To...

Me Myself

Back to my username
I wont simply trust what you put in, but if you put in something, I can look it up.

If you dont put it in, it would be too much harder o find, and I probably wont. the subject is interesting, but I percieve I will probably not like the time it will cost me thinking I could have used it for other interesting stuff.

Besides, I am lazy today :eek:

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
funny, that is what i think about when i consider religious faith, or more specifically blind faith.
i'm bothered by the lack of effort, we all are subjected to the same circumstances. so it makes me very suspicious when people dodge questions as it shows they haven't researched enough or refuse to say they don't know...but act as if they answered the question by going in a big circle.

And I'm not surprised to see you say that. Though, I can tell you, (and i'm sure many others can as well) we are not all subjected to the same circumstances. As close as a pair of twins can be, there's proof in them.

You're suspicious of me, and i'm suspicious of you, very well. I've claimed to do my research and know 'how to swim.' You've claimed the opposite. Undoubtedly you aren't very suspicious of yourself, so why not do your own research and teach yourself 'how to swim?' After talking to you for days and days on various topics, I'm sure you can (whether or not you actually will) understand my denial to offer anything to you. We've never gotten anywhere before. That's all the convincing I need not to go at it again.

Sleeppy

I wont simply trust what you put in, but if you put in something, I can look it up.

If you dont put it in, it would be too much harder o find, and I probably wont. the subject is interesting, but I percieve I will probably not like the time it will cost me thinking I could have used it for other interesting stuff.

Besides, I am lazy today :eek:

When you're not feeling lazy try reading the entire book of Genesis. Look for any patterns, like themes, etc.

waitasec

Veteran Member
And I'm not surprised to see you say that. Though, I can tell you, (and i'm sure many others can as well) we are not all subjected to the same circumstances. As close as a pair of twins can be, there's proof in them.
wait are you showing me how to swim without having the ability to?

You're suspicious of me, and i'm suspicious of you, very well. I've claimed to do my research and know 'how to swim.' You've claimed the opposite. Undoubtedly you aren't very suspicious of yourself, so why not do your own research and teach yourself 'how to swim?' After talking to you for days and days on various topics, I'm sure you can (whether or not you actually will) understand my denial to offer anything to you. We've never gotten anywhere before. That's all the convincing I need not to go at it again.
i have done it...and judging by the way you approach this thread...you haven't

Me Myself

Back to my username
If everyone reads for himself aand shares to know one, then our knowledge will be far more limited that if we all read and share around. The refinement of our knowledge will be far better too.

Sleeppy

wait are you showing me how to swim without having the ability to?

I think I'm swimming. If you have any comparisons that you trust, judge for yourself.

i have done it...and judging by the way you approach this thread...you haven't

Ok. If you've found enough to make your judgement, judge away.

Sleeppy

If everyone reads for himself aand shares to know one, then our knowledge will be far more limited that if we all read and share around. The refinement of our knowledge will be far better too.

I'm well aware, which is why I joined the forum. And, I'm aware of what seems to work and what doesn't. Which is why I have this idea - we all read, then we all share.

Sleeppy

I promise I´ll read, now start sharing! ;)

I don't want you to wait up for something that isn't coming. So I'm letting you know now. I sometimes end up waiting for a response, and the person logs off or ignores it.

If you read and come up with some legit ideas, we can share.

Me Myself

Back to my username
What are you letting me know now? you don´t currenlty have any personal insight you can share on the topic?

jtartar

This question is aimed at theists...If your God came to you and commanded that you sacrifice your child to him/her/it or them, would you do it?

BobbyisStrange,
I have spent much time meditating on this subject. I guess that you are speaking about the account written in the 22 chapter of Genesis.
It would, undoubtedly be a difficult thing to do, to sacrifice your child for anything of anybody. Consider what is written at James 1:13, That God cannot be tried with evil things and He does not try anyone with evil things. At first thought, we might think, what could be more evil than the killing of a child as a sacrifice. BUT, remember this is a test of obedience. God never was going to allow Abraham to sacrifice his son. The fact is that God had recorded by Jeremiah that this kind of terrible thing had never come into His heart, Jere 7:31. This is the very kind of thing that His own people Israel were doing, one of the reasons that God, Jehovah allowed His people to be taken into captivity by Babylon, Jere 7:29-31.
It is heartwarming to realize what God was actually doing here. God was actually showing to anyone reading just how hard it would be to sacrifice your beloved son. Then we have to realize this is exactly what God did for all mankind who would have faith in the Great Ransom Sacrifice of God's own son, Jesus. There is two words in Theology called Theopaschite, also Patripassionism; these words explain that God Himself suffered just as Jesus did, during the time Jesus suffered, before his death.
We realize that many women have given up their lives in order to save there unborn infant, and we know that many parents would not even think twice about giving their lives for their child. Then think about God, The Almighty, who could stop the suffering of His son in an instant, but allowed Jesus to give his life for us, John 3:16. The giving of a perfect life to correspond to the perfect life of Adam,wa the only way we could be acceptable to God again. The branch of theology, Soteriology, goes into detail about man's salvation, through the actions of God and His beloved son, Jesus the Christ.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
BobbyisStrange,
I have spent much time meditating on this subject. I guess that you are speaking about the account written in the 22 chapter of Genesis.
It would, undoubtedly be a difficult thing to do, to sacrifice your child for anything of anybody. Consider what is written at James 1:13, That God cannot be tried with evil things and He does not try anyone with evil things. At first thought, we might think, what could be more evil than the killing of a child as a sacrifice. BUT, remember this is a test of obedience. God never was going to allow Abraham to sacrifice his son. The fact is that God had recorded by Jeremiah that this kind of terrible thing had never come into His heart, Jere 7:31. This is the very kind of thing that His own people Israel were doing, one of the reasons that God, Jehovah allowed His people to be taken into captivity by Babylon, Jere 7:29-31.
It is heartwarming to realize what God was actually doing here. God was actually showing to anyone reading just how hard it would be to sacrifice your beloved son.

People keep prattling on about god's true intentions, while ignoring the fact that Abraham had the heart of a murderer during that situation. The surprise tweest ("gotcha!" wakka wakka wink wink) doesn't change that at all.

Then we have to realize this is exactly what God did for all mankind who would have faith in the Great Ransom Sacrifice of God's own son, Jesus. There is two words in Theology called Theopaschite, also Patripassionism; these words explain that God Himself suffered just as Jesus did, during the time Jesus suffered, before his death.
We realize that many women have given up their lives in order to save there unborn infant, and we know that many parents would not even think twice about giving their lives for their child. Then think about God, The Almighty, who could stop the suffering of His son in an instant, but allowed Jesus to give his life for us, John 3:16. The giving of a perfect life to correspond to the perfect life of Adam,wa the only way we could be acceptable to God again. The branch of theology, Soteriology, goes into detail about man's salvation, through the actions of God and His beloved son, Jesus the Christ.
How is it great for God to let someone else bear the sacrifice?
There's no greatness in that at all; quite the opposite.

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
I know so. None of you actually put very much thought into understanding any of it because you're so set on trying to prove it wrong. It's like seeing a math formula you've never seen before and already forming an argument that it's wrong, before you even know what it is, or what it's there for. How many of you have even read anything before this point in Genesis? How many of you have even compared translations? Or tried to identify patterns, like theme, etc? Be honest.. If you actually had any interest in answering a question you'd come across, you'd likely at least do a little research on your own, or ask someone you weren't so eager to belittle.

I do this all the time...not just with Genesis...I am failing to see your point how this is relevant to a question I asked...A question that was non biblical...Other people turned it Biblical...I never referenced Abraham...I never mentioned Jesus...I never mentioned a miraculous plan...It was simply about obedience...would you have obedience, to your God, to kill your child if IT (IT being God) asked you to...Now as far as repeating patterns in Genesis, would you like proof that I have done this? Do you want a list or something? Or do you just want to continue taking a “higher ground” and let people think you have some biblical authority…as if the world of biblical scholars are at a consensus of what all the texts mean…That there is no personal interpretation when it comes to biblical translations.

Last edited: