• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Parents: If God Told You To...

waitasec

Veteran Member
Once again that was not the question. The OP did not ask about a voice in your head. It asked about your god asking you. What say you to the question?

which tells me something...
god speaks to her through her head...

at least that's what i got out of it.

Last edited:

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
I wonder why non believers don't understand that our childrens are not our own property, its god property. Thus.. god may keep alive, or kill, we have nothing to do with this matter as we are not the owner. Its pretty much simple. :)
I wonder that 'believers' can feel offense at the idea that a parent owns their own child, but the idea that God owns them and, that that ownership allows him to murder them at any moment with impunity, is just dandy.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Out of curiosity, if you had lived through similar events that Abraham did on regards to God, and then God asked you to kill your child much like he did with Abraham, can you imagine yourself doing it?

If not, would it be because you wouldn't think of it as God?

Probably. It was a different time, different culture, different set of morals. If one had lived Abraham's life they probably would have acted the same. Human sacrifice was common back then. It was probably considered an honor to be sacrificed to God. It's not exactly fair to make judgements of people in the past with a modern day set of morals.

The idea here is what? Having the obedience to God to sacrifice one's child to God however knowing that God is not going to actually ask that of you.

It shows God wanted absolute obedience to his commands but didn't want human sacrifice. Human sacrifice became outlawed among the tribes of Israel. God let Israel know human sacrifice was against his will. To do it today would be to go against Gods will.

Jer 7 31 The people have built the high places of Topheth in the Valley of Ben Hinnom. There they worship other gods. And there they sacrifice their children in the fire. That is something I did not command. It did not even enter my mind.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I just had another thought: I think all the "God wouldn't ask me to do that"-type retorts to the OP have been based on the assumption that you were being asked to do it as a sacrifice for the remission of sin... but the Bible's full of stories of God commanding all sorts of strange things for other reasons:

"Hey, Joseph! Grab Mary and Jesus and head for Egypt *right now*. Trust me."

"Hey, Lot! Whatever you do, don't look back at Sodom as you leave. Take my word for it - this is important."

"Hey, Moses! I need you to get everyone to paint their door frames with lamb's blood... and you need to have them do it before nightfall. You'll understand why later."

Why would it be out-of-keeping for God to say "Hey, _____! I need you to kill your kid. Some day you'll understand why, but for now you'll just have to trust me: I REALLY need you to do this"?

Maybe it's for remission of sin; maybe God has other reasons... but how can you exclude the possibility that in all his mysterious ways, God's good, perfect plan is best served by you stabbing your child to death if he says that it is?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Everything which is made in TIME has an age.:)

By getting hot one drop flew'd in the sky, Saying.. i don't want to be the part of sea :ignore:. But who knows, One day he have to come back through any river.:)

i'm a fan of chaos theory my self.
;)

waitasec

Veteran Member
Maybe it's for remission of sin; maybe God has other reasons... but how can you exclude the possibility that in all his mysterious ways, God's good, perfect plan is best served by you stabbing your child to death if he says that it is?

exactly...gods ways are higher than ours...

:sarcastic

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
...but how can you exclude the possibility that in all his mysterious ways, God's good, perfect plan is best served by you stabbing your child to death if he says that it is?
That is the ethical dliemma that Abraham faced: he did believe wholeheartedly that God's good, perfect plan was best served by him stabbing his child to death. He chose do to otherwise, and gladly was stopped by an intervention (though it's been suggested that the story's ending was re-written).

chinu

chinu
I wonder that 'believers' can feel offense at the idea that a parent owns their own child, but the idea that God owns them and, that that ownership allows him to murder them at any moment with impunity, is just dandy.
So from today there's no need to wonder any more, Because this is the class of heart which a true believer is having in his/her body. :)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think we assumed that the OP meant Abraham since this is "religious debates" and not "general debates".
And, helpmeplease, I did answer the question- I said I would not sacrifice my child and so did Kathryn. We also said that we believe that God would not ask us to- since He never meant for Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think we assumed that the OP meant Abraham since this is "religious debates" and not "general debates".
And, helpmeplease, I did answer the question- I said I would not sacrifice my child and so did Kathryn. We also said that we believe that God would not ask us to- since He never meant for Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. :)
... in that case. God didn't step in to stop Jephthah from sacrificing his daughter; apparently, he's okay with human sacrifice at least some of the time.

But why wouldn't you sacrifice your child... or at least attempt to? If God really is just testing your obedience, can't you trust that he'd intervene like he did for Abraham?

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
So from today there's no need to wonder any more, Because this is the class of heart which a true believer is having in his/her body. :)
No, it's not that I wonder if it's true. I 'wonder at it'. I wonder how you can still be a member of the human race and believe it's OK in any way.

I find it repulsive.

This class of heart is less than that of an animal.

chinu

chinu
When god will come to you, to ask so and so.. Just record the voice of god in a voice recored, Well.. i just want to listen his voice. ;)

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Probably. It was a different time, different culture, different set of morals. If one had lived Abraham's life they probably would have acted the same. Human sacrifice was common back then. It was probably considered an honor to be sacrificed to God. It's not exactly fair to make judgements of people in the past with a modern day set of morals.

The point isn't to judge Abraham. Rather, it is to put yourself into his position and think if you would do the same.

The idea here is what? Having the obedience to God to sacrifice one's child to God however knowing that God is not going to actually ask that of you.

This doesn't make sense as God actually ask that of him.

It shows God wanted absolute obedience to his commands but didn't want human sacrifice. Human sacrifice became outlawed among the tribes of Israel. God let Israel know human sacrifice was against his will. To do it today would be to go against Gods will.

Are you really using old texts to say what God ought not to do in the future? Isn't this like trying to bind God to what he said in the old testament on regards to dietary laws and circumcision? ;)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
... in that case. God didn't step in to stop Jephthah from sacrificing his daughter; apparently, he's okay with human sacrifice at least some of the time.

But why wouldn't you sacrifice your child... or at least attempt to? If God really is just testing your obedience, can't you trust that he'd intervene like he did for Abraham?

That's because he (Jephthah) didn't kill his daughter- she was dedicated to God, same as Samuel was. She was mourning because she would never marry and have children.

Why wouldn't I sacrifice my child? I am not even going to answer that question. :facepalm:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's because he (Jephthah) didn't kill his daughter- she was dedicated to God, same as Samuel was. She was mourning because she would never marry and have children.

Why wouldn't I sacrifice my child? I am not even going to answer that question. :facepalm:

You and I have very different interpretations of that passage.

And yes, I want to know why you wouldn't try to kill your daughter if God asked you to. If you're right about God's nature, then he wouldn't let you actually go through with it. If you know that your attempt to kill your child won't actually result in your child's death, then where's the problem?

Now... I should explain why I ask this: I can think of plenty of reasons for a parent not to do this, but all of them reflect very badly on Abraham. I want to find out what your reasons are to see if you have one that doesn't.