• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Parents: If God Told You To...

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
I think we assumed that the OP meant Abraham since this is "religious debates" and not "general debates".
And, helpmeplease, I did answer the question- I said I would not sacrifice my child and so did Kathryn. We also said that we believe that God would not ask us to- since He never meant for Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. :)

Umm I believe I covered why i posted this topic...I was reading Ezekiel and came across a passage that brought up that God let people sacrifice their first born to idols as punishment for worshiping false gods. So I asked the question, what if God asked you to sacrifice your child, would you do it...
I mean that verse is pretty explicit that God doesn’t care if you sacrifice your children…I view him as sitting there with arms crossed watching people execute their children to “false” gods…Being that I don’t believe in god, I made this question open for all people to answer…imo sacrificing your child to a false god is the same as sacrificing your child to any god…whether it be the Christian god or not.
Still a religious topic...carry on.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
You and I have very different interpretations of that passage.

And yes, I want to know why you wouldn't try to kill your daughter if God asked you to. If you're right about God's nature, then he wouldn't let you actually go through with it. If you know that your attempt to kill your child won't actually result in your child's death, then where's the problem?

Now... I should explain why I ask this: I can think of plenty of reasons for a parent not to do this, but all of them reflect very badly on Abraham. I want to find out what your reasons are to see if you have one that doesn't.

If I get a message in my head, I would have no way to know if it was God or just some stray thought. In the Genesis story, Abraham knew for sure it was God- but I don't have that luxury. And the story was a one time thing (unless you believe that Jephthat actually sacrificed his daughter, that is). And I really, really don't believe for one second that God would ask me to sacrifice Becky or one of my sons.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
That's because he (Jephthah) didn't kill his daughter- she was dedicated to God, same as Samuel was. She was mourning because she would never marry and have children.

Actually, Judges 11:39 says that Jephtah did as he had vowed. And what he vowed to do with ( who ended being ) her was to offer her up as a burnt offering. So, he killed her. Why do you interpret it as something else?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Umm I believe I covered why i posted this topic...I was reading Ezekiel and came across a passage that brought up that God let people sacrifice their first born to idols as punishment for worshiping false gods. So I asked the question, what if God asked you to sacrifice your child, would you do it...Still a religious topic...carry on.

Don't worry about it- it was my assumption and other people's assumption that led us to throw in Abraham- we knew you didn't mention him. Peace?

chinu

chinu
No, it's not that I wonder if it's true. I 'wonder at it'. I wonder how you can still be a member of the human race and believe it's OK in any way.
Yes you noticed it correctly that how can i be the part of human race. for me all childrens of this world are my own childrens, Otherwise the childrens which you think are my real childrens, are no more than wordly duties for me. :)
I find it repulsive.
Yes its hard to consider our own children and other's children on same level.
When our own child die, than people say, it was my property, But when other's child die, than why don't they cry ?:)
This class of heart is less than that of an animal.
Its not your fault, when any human heart, see any heart in difference to human heart, It sounds like animal heart, to that heart. :)

Bobby didn't ask if you got a message in your head, he asked if god told you. Why do you keep avoiding the question and ChristinES I don't believe that either you or Kathryn have said you wouldn't kill your child even if god asked you to.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If I get a message in my head, I would have no way to know if it was God or just some stray thought. In the Genesis story, Abraham knew for sure it was God- but I don't have that luxury.
Assume you do. Nobody in this thread ever said "you hear a voice that claims to be God"; the hypothetical was always phrased as "God tells you..." I think it's a given that however God has communicated with you, it's done in such a way that you're sure it's God. Presumably, the all-powerful creator of the universe would be able to make this happen.

And the story was a one time thing (unless you believe that Jephthat actually sacrificed his daughter, that is). And I really, really don't believe for one second that God would ask me to sacrifice Becky or one of my sons.
But you do believe that it's not completely out of keeping for God to order someone killed and then save them, right? Why not play along? God's watching out for your kid, right?

Nooj

none
i think the point of the story is to disturb. i also think theists are disturbed by the story in a different manner from how atheists are disturbed by it.

it is good to ask what is disturbing about it. the idea of a murder? the idea of the murderer being the father and the victim his own child? the motivation for the murder? the willingness for the murderer to go along with god's command? what the story all means? all of the above?

i think the point of the story is to disturb. i also think theists are disturbed by the story in a different manner from how atheists are disturbed by it.

it is good to ask what is disturbing about it. the idea of a murder? the idea of the murderer being the father and the victim his own child? the motivation for the murder? the willingness for the murderer to go along with god's command? what the story all means? all of the above?
In that case you disagree with the theists who have posted.