• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Is Not A Christian

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Its not a matter of the translation as much as integrity.

Obviously I disagree with your interpretation no matter the translation as G-d clearly indicated to Satan to test Job's faith. So what follows doesn't ridicule G-d as it was expected. Aside from that, we see that since Satan had to get G-d's permission. There's no reason to read into that anything other than a servant. Except for external influences that might make you want to see something more.

Please explain Job's story from the Jewish perspective so that we can appreciate the difference in the telling of the story. If we are all reading the account from the same scripture, how can we have different versions of the same event?

Needing God's permission to test Job only meant that God was the one to rightfully set the rules for this engagement. Since it is unthinkable for God to allow a person to go beyond what they can bear, God knew Job's limits and it appears as if they were much broader than the average person's. There was no one like him in all the earth.

God's question to satan ("Have you paid attention to My servant Job?") implies that God already knew what satan was either thinking or plotting against his servant Job. He was obviously considering ways to bring him down. If the most faithful man in existence could be induced to curse God to his face, what would that say about His godship and the spiritual strength of those with a lesser faith?

I will return in the morning as its late here in Australia. I am interested in your reply.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Please explain Job's story from the Jewish perspective so that we can appreciate the difference in the telling of the story. If we are all reading the account from the same scripture, how can we have different versions of the same event?
That's simple. Because you are using another book besides Job to gain perspective on Job. You are looking at Job through the lens of the NT.

Needing God's permission to test Job only meant that God was the one to rightfully set the rules for this engagement. Since it is unthinkable for God to allow a person to go beyond what they can bear, God knew Job's limits and it appears as if they were much broader than the average person's. There was no one like him in all the earth.

God's question to satan ("Have you paid attention to My servant Job?") implies that God already knew what satan was either thinking or plotting against his servant Job. He was obviously considering ways to bring him down. If the most faithful man in existence could be induced to curse God to his face, what would that say about His godship and the spiritual strength of those with a lesser faith?
No it doesn't. Its connected to the previous verse. When the satan says that he was going around the land, the verse uses two words that mean the same thing, indicating that he was going carefully around, ie. searching. There is no indication as to what he found if anything. G-d asks if he looked into Job and offers some interesting information. The satan (doing his job as an adversary) opposes the treatment Job had merited on the grounds that it wasn't clear that he was worthy. He asks for an opportunity to (doing his job as an adversary) oppose Job's good fortune to test whether Job does merit it. G-d permits it with the exception of afflicting his body. The language used "he is given into your hands" indicates G-d is giving the satan control over Job - something he previously must not have had. The satan does his thing while abiding by G-d's limitation and Job passes. In the next chapter the story happens again with G-d giving the satan control to even afflict Job's body, so long as he is not killed. The satan again abides by the limitation imposed by G-d.

I assume after seeing what the satan did the first time, and still allowing him to do it again, you really have no basis to call his actions ridiculing G-d. We simply never find the satan doing something outside of G-d's permission.

Last edited:

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
There is an unseen power behind the world rulers. The Bible only identifies this enemy as "satan" (resistor) and "devil" (slanderer)
He is the would-be usurper of the sovereign God's rightful position. He can only rule those who accept him as a god and give him servitude....which is most of the world because he is a master of deception. What better way to manipulate people than to convince them that he doesn't exist?

I can't make you believe that he exercises power over people, but those who do believe it, are either his best friends or his mortal enemies. Which are you?

Satan does not mean "resistor." It means adversary (Hebrew) or slanderer (Greek). Furthermore, in the Hebrew it is always accompanied by the definitive article "the" so the TITLE would be "the adversary" or "the slanderer" depending on the context. Satan is not the name of a specific being.

I believe in a God that is omnipotent, so no being (human or otherwise) could usurp God's power or position unless God allowed it. The creator of the universe could simply uncreate this evil, arch enemy that you believe in. The belief that this Satan is working against God is just man made drivel.

Besides, the Bible already says that God's will is done in heaven, so this Satan could not do anything without God's divine permission. I don't believe in supernatural boogeymen, and I don't need to place blame on them when something bad happens. You asked which am I...best friend or mortal enemy? I am neither as I stopped playing "make believe" around the age of 6.

Last edited:

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
That's simple. Because you are using another book besides Job to gain perspective on Job. You are looking at Job through the lens of the NT.

No it doesn't. Its connected to the previous verse. When the satan says that he was going around the land, the verse uses two words that mean the same thing, indicating that he was going carefully around, ie. searching. There is no indication as to what he found if anything. G-d asks if he looked into Job and offers some interesting information. The satan (doing his job as an adversary) opposes the treatment Job had merited on the grounds that it wasn't clear that he was worthy. He asks for an opportunity to (doing his job as an adversary) oppose Job's good fortune to test whether Job does merit it. G-d permits it with the exception of afflicting his body. The language used "he is given into your hands" indicates G-d is giving the satan control over Job - something he previously must not have had. The satan does his thing while abiding by G-d's limitation and Job passes. In the next chapter the story happens again with G-d giving the satan control to even afflict Job's body, so long as he is not killed. The satan again abides by the limitation imposed by G-d.

I assume after seeing what the satan did the first time, and still allowing him to do it again, you really have no basis to call his actions ridiculing G-d. We simply never find the satan doing something outside of G-d's permission.

This is why I leave it to the Hebrew scholars to interpret the OT...especially if they are from Israel. It is their language and culture. It is because of a rabbi that I learned about the nature of ha-satan, and it really opened my eyes to the "BS" I was taught growing up as a Southern Baptist.

Tumah

Veteran Member
This is why I leave it to the Hebrew scholars to interpret the OT...especially if they are from Israel. It is their language and culture. It is because of a rabbi that I learned about the nature of ha-satan, and it really opened my eyes to the "BS" I was taught growing up as a Southern Baptist.
I'm sorry to let you down, but I grew up in NY. Although we are taught Biblical Hebrew from 1st grade, my native language is English.
Incidentally, Biblical Hebrew and Modern Hebrew are not exactly the same and there are some times where a word means the exact opposite in Modern Hebrew. It might sound weird, but its not impossible for a native Israeli to not be able to understand Biblical Hebrew so well.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I'm sorry to let you down, but I grew up in NY. Although we are taught Biblical Hebrew from 1st grade, my native language is English.
Incidentally, Biblical Hebrew and Modern Hebrew are not exactly the same and there are some times where a word means the exact opposite in Modern Hebrew. It might sound weird, but its not impossible for a native Israeli to not be able to understand Biblical Hebrew so well.

It's all good. NY is about as close to Israel as you can get anyway...that or Ireland. ;)

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
IOW, your beliefs are correct and everyone whose beliefs disagree with yours are wrong, and you can see God where other people can't.

Goody - another internet prophet. I was worried we were going to run out.
I think I agree. I was hoping there might be some kind of sense to it.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

My perspective is also shaped by the Hebrew scriptures.

Its connected to the previous verse. When the satan says that he was going around the land, the verse uses two words that mean the same thing, indicating that he was going carefully around, ie. searching. There is no indication as to what he found if anything.

In the dirge for the King of Tyre, Ezekiel was commanded to say.....

11Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying: יאוַיְהִי דְבַר יְהֹוָה אֵלַי לֵאמֹר

12"Son of man, raise a lamentation over the king of Tyre and say to him, So said the Lord God: You are the one who engraves images, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. יבבֶּן אָדָם שָׂא קִינָה עַל מֶלֶךְ צוֹר וְאָמַרְתָּ לּוֹ כֹּה אָמַר אֲדֹנָי יֱהֹוִה אַתָּה חוֹתֵם תָּכְנִית מָלֵא חָכְמָה וּכְלִיל יֹפִי:

13In Eden, the garden of God you were; every precious stone was [set in] your covering; ruby, topaz, diamond, chrysolite, onyx, and jasper, sapphire, carbuncle, and crystal and gold; the work of your drums and your orifices is in you; on the day of your creation they were established. יגבְּעֵדֶן גַּן אֱלֹהִים הָיִיתָ כָּל אֶבֶן יְקָרָה מְסֻכָתֶךָ אֹדֶם פִּטְדָה וְיַהֲלֹם תַּרְשִׁישׁ שֹׁהַם וְיָשְׁפֵה סַפִּיר נֹפֶךְ וּבָרְקַת וְזָהָב מְלֶאכֶת תֻּפֶּיךָ וּנְקָבֶיךָ בָּךְ בְּיוֹם הִבָּרַאֲךָ כּוֹנָנוּ:

14You were a cherub of great measure, that covers, and I gave that to you; you were on the mount of the sanctuary of God: you walked among stones of fire. ידאַתְּ כְּרוּב מִמְשַׁח הַסּוֹכֵךְ וּנְתַתִּיךָ בְּהַר קֹדֶשׁ אֱלֹהִים הָיִיתָ בְּתוֹךְ אַבְנֵי אֵשׁ הִתְהַלָּכְתָּ:

15You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created until wrongdoing was found in you. טותָּמִים אַתָּה בִּדְרָכֶיךָ מִיּוֹם הִבָּרְאָךְ עַד נִמְצָא עַוְלָתָה בָּךְ:

16Because of the multitude of your commerce, they filled you with violence and you sinned, and I shall cast you as profane from the mountain of God, and I shall destroy you, O covering cherub, from among the stones of fire. טזבְּרֹב רְכֻלָּתְךָ מָלוּ תוֹכְךָ חָמָס וַתֶּחֱטָא וָאֲחַלֶּלְךָ מֵהַר אֱלֹהִים וָאַבֶּדְךָ כְּרוּב הַסּוֹכֵךְ מִתּוֹךְ אַבְנֵי אֵשׁ:

17Your heart became haughty because of your beauty; you destroyed your wisdom with your brightness; I have cast you upon the ground; I have set you before kings to gaze upon you. יזגָּבַהּ לִבְּךָ בְּיָפְיֶךָ שִׁחַתָּ חָכְמָתְךָ עַל יִפְעָתֶךָ עַל אֶרֶץ הִשְׁלַכְתִּיךָ לִפְנֵי מְלָכִים נְתַתִּיךָ לְרַאֲוָה בָךְ:

This is clearly a reference to Thesatan. Unless of course, the King of Tyre was a 'covering cherub in the garden of Eden'? This is the description of one who at first was "perfect" in his service to God, but whose beauty got the better of him and he began to think more of himself than he did of his Creator. His ambition turned into outright rebellion and his course turned the human race into adversaries like himself. God has many adversaries according to the scriptures, but there is only one who is THE adversary. In the same way that the scriptures refer to Adonai as THE God. There is only one true God among the many gods worshipped by men.

G-d asks if he looked into Job and offers some interesting information. The satan (doing his job as an adversary) opposes the treatment Job had merited on the grounds that it wasn't clear that he was worthy. He asks for an opportunity to (doing his job as an adversary) oppose Job's good fortune to test whether Job does merit it.

Really? An all knowing God who has already stated that there is 'no one like his servant Job' as far as righteousness is concerned, needs Thesatan to prove otherwise? To whom?

G-d permits it with the exception of afflicting his body. The language used "he is given into your hands" indicates G-d is giving the satan control over Job - something he previously must not have had. The satan does his thing while abiding by G-d's limitation and Job passes. In the next chapter the story happens again with G-d giving the satan control to even afflict Job's body, so long as he is not killed. The satan again abides by the limitation imposed by G-d.

Imposing limitations means that God is always in control of all things. The fact that he had to impose limits indicates that Thesatan was not content to set those limits himself. What does that tell you about him? He had to be told not to kill Job.

You know what they say about those who "assume"? I believe that the Bible is one book, from one author who has one story to tell. It begins in Genesis with the loss, and ends in Revelation with a complete restoration. (Isaiah 55:11) All of the Bible writers were Jewish. (Hebrews; descendants of Abraham)even those who wrote the NT. They were not Gentiles with no understanding of Jewish beliefs.

I understand the Jewish attitude to the NT, (as indoctrinated in Jewish minds, just as much as Jews think Christians are indoctrinated to accept the Greek scriptures) but in reality, given the history of the nation of Israel as recorded in the Hebrew Bible, you apparently place your trust in men whose teachings and traditions continually led Israel into apostasy, God's disfavor and often severe punishment. God has limits to his patience and as it was foretold in your own scriptures...only a remnant of fleshly Israel would be saved. Why?

At Genesis 22:18 God's promise to Abraham was....

וְהִתְבָּרֲכוּ בְזַרְעֲכֹּל גּוֹיֵי הָאָרֶץ עֵקֶב אֲשֶׁר שָׁמַעְתָּ בְּקֹלִי

22:18 w'hit'Bärákhû v'zar'ákhä Kol Gôyëy äretz ëqev ásher shäma'Tä B'qoliy

22:18 And in thy seed 2233 shall all x3605 the nations 1471 of the earth 776 be blessed; 1288 z8694 because 834 6118 thou hast obeyed 8085 z8804 my voice. 6963

Not just members of the fleshly nation of Israel, but, as demonstrated in Isaiah 2:2-4, people of ALL nations would come to God's mountain to worship him.

Saul of Tarsus, a former Pharisee and a son of Pharisees...and a foremost persecutor of Christians by his own admission, who became the Christian apostle Paul, said.....

But Yesha‘yahu, referring to Isra’el, cries out,

Even if the number of people in Isra’el is as large
as the number of grains of sand by the sea,

only a remnant will be saved.
28 For Adonai will fulfill his word on the earth
with certainty and without delay.

29 Also, as Yesha‘yahu said earlier,

“If Adonai-Tzva’ot had not left us a seed,
we would have become like S’dom,
we would have resembled ‘Amora.”

Where is Israel today in God's eyes? Is she not just another blood-spilling nation? Is she fulfilling the words of Isaiah 2:2-4?

"2 Now it will come about that In the last days The mountain of the house of the Lord Will be established as the chief of the mountains, And will be raised above the hills; And all the nations will stream to it.
3 And many peoples will come and say, “Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, To the house of the God of Jacob; That He may teach us concerning His ways And that we may walk in His paths.” For the law will go forth from Zion And the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.
4And He will judge between the nations, And will render decisions for many peoples; And they will hammer their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks.
Nation will not lift up sword against nation, And never again will they learn war. "

God's "mountain" is made up of people of all nations today, and they are identified by their peaceful state; by their complete separation from the bloodshed and political squabbles of this world and seen in the love they have for God....for one another....and for their neighbors.

This is already the reality for God's true worshippers today. They invite all who wish to serve the true God to join them.

Tumah

Veteran Member
My perspective is also shaped by the Hebrew scriptures.

In the dirge for the King of Tyre, Ezekiel was commanded to say.....

11Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying: ...
17Your heart became haughty because of your beauty; you destroyed your wisdom with your brightness;

This is clearly a reference to Thesatan. Unless of course, the King of Tyre was a 'covering cherub in the garden of Eden'? This is the description of one who at first was "perfect" in his service to God, but whose beauty got the better of him and he began to think more of himself than he did of his Creator. His ambition turned into outright rebellion and his course turned the human race into adversaries like himself. God has many adversaries according to the scriptures, but there is only one who is THE adversary. In the same way that the scriptures refer to Adonai as THE God. There is only one true God among the many gods worshipped by men.
Surprisingly, I can read English, so there's no need to post the Hebew and I'd prefer if you didn't, so as not to post the Tetragrammaton.

He was commanded to say this about...the king of Tyre, not Satan. Tyre is a real place. So is Zidon, the next country to be lambasted. As you can see from the previous chapters (26:2-3), Tyre is getting a prophecy because of how they went against Israel. This particular chapter is referring back to the first king of Tyre, Hiram I. He was a great guy,a friend of David and Solomon. Through their friendship became very wealthy and helped build the Temple.
The "cherub of measure that covers, in Eden" thing is a metaphor: During Hiram's reign, Tyre grew from a satellite of Sidon into the most important of Phoenician cities, and the holder of a large trading empire. The metaphor is saying that Hiram was like a huge flying angel who hovers over a large swath of land. Tyre grew under Hiram I to cover a large area.
The prophecy here is contrasting the actions of the first king of Tyre, with what Tyre is doing now, setting itself against Jerusalem. That's the whole topic of these chapters

I can't think of any reason that wouldn't be exceptionally obvious to you, unless you were approaching the chapter with preconceived notions.

Really? An all knowing God who has already stated that there is 'no one like his servant Job' as far as righteousness is concerned, needs Thesatan to prove otherwise? To whom?
This is the job of the satan: to stand in adversary to people. In this respect, satan acts as an expression of G-d's justice, that even the most righteous person will still be searched through to ensure that he's not getting more than he deserves.

Imposing limitations means that God is always in control of all things. The fact that he had to impose limits indicates that Thesatan was not content to set those limits himself. What does that tell you about him? He had to be told not to kill Job.
It tells me nothing other than that satan is not clairvoyant and needs G-d to tell him what parameters he may act within.

You know what they say about those who "assume"? I believe that the Bible is one book, from one author who has one story to tell. It begins in Genesis with the loss, and ends in Revelation with a complete restoration. (Isaiah 55:11) All of the Bible writers were Jewish. (Hebrews; descendants of Abraham)even those who wrote the NT. They were not Gentiles with no understanding of Jewish beliefs.
That's like saying, so long as a Christian writes a book, it is inherently filled with Christian belief. The fact that the particular Christian is no scholar and mostly ignorant of Christianity is irrelevant, because he's Christian, so it must be accurate.

I understand the Jewish attitude to the NT, (as indoctrinated in Jewish minds, just as much as Jews think Christians are indoctrinated to accept the Greek scriptures) but in reality, given the history of the nation of Israel as recorded in the Hebrew Bible, you apparently place your trust in men whose teachings and traditions continually led Israel into apostasy, God's disfavor and often severe punishment. God has limits to his patience and as it was foretold in your own scriptures...only a remnant of fleshly Israel would be saved. Why?
This is a problem that stretches back to the prophets and didn't change very much after prophecy stopped and all we had were men whom the Holy Spirit of G-d rested on. Clearly, its totally unrelated to the nature of the lesson or the people teaching it.

I wonder at the nature of your accusation, unless you happen to be a Catholic...

The Jews that are saved, only refers to the Jews that merit to make it through the Messsianic Age, not the Jews that make it to the World to Come. Living during the Messianic Age requires a strong merit. Very few Jews, if any are completely cut off forever.

At Genesis 22:18 God's promise to Abraham was....

וְהִתְבָּרֲכוּ בְזַרְעֲכֹּל גּוֹיֵי הָאָרֶץ עֵקֶב אֲשֶׁר שָׁמַעְתָּ בְּקֹלִי

22:18 w'hit'Bärákhû v'zar'ákhä Kol Gôyëy äretz ëqev ásher shäma'Tä B'qoliy

22:18 And in thy seed 2233 shall all x3605 the nations 1471 of the earth 776 be blessed; 1288 z8694 because 834 6118 thou hast obeyed 8085 z8804 my voice. 6963

Not just members of the fleshly nation of Israel, but, as demonstrated in Isaiah 2:2-4, people of ALL nations would come to God's mountain to worship him.
Although I wouldn't have made the connection between these two verse, of course I agree with your point. When the messiah will come, all the nations of the world will come to worship the G-d of the Jews and will bring sacrifices at the Temple Mount. Until then, Christians will follow their G-d, Muslims will follow their prophet, Baha'i theirs, Hindus theirs, etc.

Saul of Tarsus, a former Pharisee and a son of Pharisees...and a foremost persecutor of Christians by his own admission, who became the Christian apostle Paul, said.....
I don't understand why you are bringing this up.

But Yesha‘yahu, referring to Isra’el, cries out,...
Where is Israel today in God's eyes? Is she not just another blood-spilling nation? Is she fulfilling the words of Isaiah 2:2-4?
Of course, since Isaiah 2:2-4 is a messianic prophecy, we wouldn't be fulfilling that.
But as to the rest, we're the same as always. Some of us follow G-d and most of us don't. According to surveys, in another few generations it will be most of us that will be following G-d.
Its of course very hard to say that Israel is a "blood spilling nation". I assume you're referring to the state of Israel. A country which houses only about half of the nation of Israel. And within that state, there's of course us, the ultra-Orthodox making up about 10% and growing, of people who are against the state. Then there's the leftists, and peace activists and all the other various parties all with different ideas of what action the state should take. So this statement of yours seems to have been made as an generalization based on ignorance.

"2 Now it will come about that In the last days The mountain of the house of the Lord Will be established as the chief of the mountains, And will be raised above the hills; And all the nations will stream to it.
God's "mountain" is made up of people of all nations today, and they are identified by their peaceful state; by their complete separation from the bloodshed and political squabbles of this world and seen in the love they have for God....for one another....and for their neighbors.

This is already the reality for God's true worshipers today. They invite all who wish to serve the true God to join them.
No it isn't. Its an actual mountain called the Temple Mount. Its called that because the Temple, which is also called the "House of G-d" sat on it twice and will sit on it a third time. That's what this verse is referring to. Its a messianic prophecy about the rebuilding of the Third Temple when G-d's revelation will cause all nations to come to serve him.

So far to our sorrow, this has demonstrably not happened.

Anyways, as we've seen, your views are clearly shaped by the NT.

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE
...I like to base my opinions on scripture....so what does the Bible say about this? Where does it say anything about distracting satan? How is the golden calf incident even connected with Job's account?

I told you, the giving of the Torah (including the Golden Calf incident) is happening at the same time as the events in Job.That is why TheSatan needs distracting, to not mess up the giving of Torah. Poor Job is the bait. Sure, God is 'loading the dice' a bit here, throwing the Gentile 'under the bus', but who can blame him given the event with the calf?

He gave world rulership over to him so that he could prove his claims. (Luke 4: 5-6; 1 John 5:19)
I also like to base my opinions on scripture... and since I don't accept so-called NT as that, I reject this claim of rulership as false.

Last edited:

1AOA1

God is not a Christian.
God is not Jewish.
God is not Islamic.
God is not a Hindu.
If the definition of Christianity comes from materialism, you're talking about materialism. If the definition of definition and materialism come from the Christian way, you're talking about Christianity.

ukok102nak

~;> as they say
He said to me, "These words are faithful and true. The Lord God of the spirits of the prophets sent his angel to show to his bondservants the things which must happen soon."
"Behold, I come quickly. Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book."

:ty:

godbless
unto all always

God is not a Christian.
God is not Jewish.
God is not Islamic.
God is not a Hindu.

God, as the supreme being, monotheistic deity, or creator of the universe, is not a member of any man made, earth bound religion. No single religion/denomination can lay claim that God belongs to them, and them alone. If anything, the exact nature of God is unknown. You can quote whatever holy book that you want, it does not prove anything.

It is important to separate the human conceptions of God from what we can actually observe...which will be difficult, since God does not make personal appearances and has yet to be captured on camera/video. To that end, we have to study nature and the cosmos in order to see God's creation at work and evolving (incidentally that is the core of deism).

God can't be bound in any human system of belief. Nor can God be restricted to one culture or geographic location. The exact details about God are unknown, and will remain so until said deity decides to make a personal appearance at a press conference, and goes through a Q&A session.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There is an unseen power behind the world rulers. The Bible only identifies this enemy as "satan" (resistor) and "devil" (slanderer)
Well, no. The Bible has other things to say about the power behind world rulers:

Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.

The Bible: the Big Book of Multiple Choice.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And so much for Job's family and servants, who - according to the story - are murdered by Satan with God's blessing, right?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Surprisingly, I can read English, so there's no need to post the Hebew and I'd prefer if you didn't, so as not to post the Tetragrammaton.

I am sorry if I offended you, but can you please explain why it is that the tetragrammaton was used freely and with reverence by the writers of the Hebrew scriptures, and yet this superstition? tradition? (what would you call it?) implemented by men, after those scriptures were written, removed the divine name from Jewish lips and eventually from their God's written word?
Moses used it, over 400 times in Exodus and over 500 times in Deuteronomy. King David did not refrain from using the tetragrammaton, and in the Psalms alone it appears 780 times.
When and why did the precious name of the "Most High" (Psalm 83:18) become unutterable?.....and where will I find God's command to stop using it?

Why are vowels offensive to Jews so that they cannot even write "God" without leaving out the vowel?

I would like an explanation 'from the horse's mouth' for this because it makes no sense to me.

The "cherub of measure that covers, in Eden" thing is a metaphor: During Hiram's reign, Tyre grew from a satellite of Sidon into the most important of Phoenician cities, and the holder of a large trading empire. The metaphor is saying that Hiram was like a huge flying angel who hovers over a large swath of land. Tyre grew under Hiram I to cover a large area.
The prophecy here is contrasting the actions of the first king of Tyre, with what Tyre is doing now, setting itself against Jerusalem. That's the whole topic of these chapters

I can't think of any reason that wouldn't be exceptionally obvious to you, unless you were approaching the chapter with preconceived notions.

My pre-conceived notions come from Ezekiel's clear reference to satan as the covering cherub in the garden of Eden....he was comparing the King of Tyre to that first rebel.

This is the job of the satan: to stand in adversary to people. In this respect, satan acts as an expression of G-d's justice, that even the most righteous person will still be searched through to ensure that he's not getting more than he deserves.

The torah was given as a perfect law to very imperfect people. Those who cannot keep it "deserve" nothing.
Where will I find it written in scripture that "the adversary" was appointed by God to test anyone?

It tells me nothing other than that satan is not clairvoyant and needs G-d to tell him what parameters he may act within.

So Thesatan had to be told not to kill the most righteous man in existence? To whom was the adversary providing this proof of Job's integrity.....to a God who reads hearts and knows our inmost thoughts? (1 Samuel 16:7-8)
297.gif

That's like saying, so long as a Christian writes a book, it is inherently filled with Christian belief. The fact that the particular Christian is no scholar and mostly ignorant of Christianity is irrelevant, because he's Christian, so it must be accurate.

Do you think there might have been a reason why Jesus chose uneducated men to proclaim his kingdom? He said that the teachings of the Pharisees was "leaven"....corrupt.

I wonder at the nature of your accusation, unless you happen to be a Catholic...

I am a Christian, not a member of any of Christendom's churches. We don't have many Jewish people where I live, so I appreciate it when I can hear statements of belief from those who hold them.

Although I wouldn't have made the connection between these two verse, of course I agree with your point. When the messiah will come, all the nations of the world will come to worship the G-d of the Jews and will bring sacrifices at the Temple Mount. Until then, Christians will follow their G-d, Muslims will follow their prophet, Baha'i theirs, Hindus theirs, etc.

You think God approves of those systems of worship?

So far to our sorrow, this has demonstrably not happened.

What Messiah will arrive in the future who fulfills the Messianic prophesies more fully than Jesus did?

Anyways, as we've seen, your views are clearly shaped by the NT.

ukok102nak

~;> by the way
did anyone notice this writtings from the book of job
as it is written
:read:
Job 1:1
There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job. That man was blameless and upright, and one who feared God, and turned away from evil.

where is this LAND OF UZ

. ... just askin
if we may say so ... .

:ty:

godbless
unto all always

Muffled

Jesus in me
Personally, I find the whole notion of an allegedly "supreme" being to be quite hilarious... and a rather arrogant projection on human animal's part.

I believe the Pharaoh of Egypt laughed and mocked also but he found out the hard way and I imagine you will also.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I believe the Pharaoh of Egypt laughed and mocked also but he found out the hard way and I imagine you will also.
If that was the case I would have been struck dead a very long time ago. I've just gone a bit too far beyond these primitive notions to give them much concern.