• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God/Yahweh/Allah I BELIEVE started as volcanic activity

cablescavenger

It's hardly compelling at all, because it's HIGHLY unlikely that people would have known that Santorini caused those effects, since it was hundreds of miles from the coast.

The King moved from lower Egypt, down South to upper Egypt, so I think the timing is pretty convincing, and could have caused an exodus out of Egypt, as suggested.

With regard to the Egyptians not knowing what happened 700 miles away? You underestimate the Egyptians.

Plato got his account of Atlantis from the Egyptians, who recorded the event.

The Egyptians already had vast sophisticated trade routes and traded with the Greeks via the Phoenicians, at that time, so they would have been very aware of what was happening in the area, and much further afield.

St Giordano Bruno

There is volcanic activity up much of the Great Rift Valley which extends as far north as the Middle East I am sure it would have played a big part and it probably would have been the quieter volcanos such as at Ethiopia where people could walk right up to the lava lakes and steaming fumaroles and very strong sulphur fumes near the crater and not so much the more explosive ones like Santorini.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The King moved from lower Egypt, down South to upper Egypt, so I think the timing is pretty convincing, and could have caused an exodus out of Egypt, as suggested.

With regard to the Egyptians not knowing what happened 700 miles away? You underestimate the Egyptians.

Plato got his account of Atlantis from the Egyptians, who recorded the event.

The historicity of Atlantis hasn't yet been determined. If they did record the event, the record is lost to time, so it's not confirmed, yet, whether or not Plato actually did get it from the Egyptians (though that's not quite what was described in Timaeus) or if he just made the story up to illustrate the effectiveness of the "Ideal State" (i.e., circa 8000 B.C. Athens) against a massive navel power: Atlantis.

The Egyptians already had vast sophisticated trade routes and traded with the Greeks via the Phoenicians, at that time, so they would have been very aware of what was happening in the area, and much further afield.

If the volcano was on the mainland, perhaps. But Santorini was, and still is, an island(...okay, three islands, now). The eruption is theorized to be the cause of the fall of the Minoan civilization (which has been further hypothesized to be one of the inspirations for the story of Atlantis), and thus I don't think there was much of a Greek civilization at the time. In fact, looking at the distance between Crete and Nisos Thira (the modern day name of the island), and comparing it to the distances between the old volcano and mainland Greece and Turkey, I suspect that any sort of settlements would have been wiped out completely there, too.

Taking a quick look at the types of boats and ships the ancient Egyptians had, I wouldn't want to be within visible distance to any erupting volcano in one of those, let alone within visible distance of the largest eruption in recorded history, so I doubt they would have been aware firsthand that it was a volcano.

cablescavenger

The historicity of Atlantis hasn't yet been determined. If they did record the event, the record is lost to time, so it's not confirmed, yet, whether or not Plato actually did get it from the Egyptians (though that's not quite what was described in Timaeus) or if he just made the story up to illustrate the effectiveness of the "Ideal State" (i.e., circa 8000 B.C. Athens) against a massive navel power: Atlantis.
Plato himself claims that he got the accounts for the Egyptians (see link below), and this same link points to Santorini as a possible location for Atlantis.

Atlantis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the volcano was on the mainland, perhaps. But Santorini was, and still is, an island(...okay, three islands, now). The eruption is theorized to be the cause of the fall of the Minoan civilization (which has been further hypothesized to be one of the inspirations for the story of Atlantis), and thus I don't think there was much of a Greek civilization at the time. In fact, looking at the distance between Crete and Nisos Thira (the modern day name of the island), and comparing it to the distances between the old volcano and mainland Greece and Turkey, I suspect that any sort of settlements would have been wiped out completely there, too.

Taking a quick look at the types of boats and ships the ancient Egyptians had, I wouldn't want to be within visible distance to any erupting volcano in one of those, let alone within visible distance of the largest eruption in recorded history, so I doubt they would have been aware firsthand that it was a volcano.

I am not disagreeing with you, I already said they had sophisticated trade routes and used the Phoenicians for shipping.

The Phoenicians were from Canaan, and were effectively a trade shipping hub, and did indeed trade with the Greeks around that time Phoenicia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This also suggests they had strong trade with Crete, which is just below the Thera eruption. Foreign contacts of ancient Egypt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it is highly probable that the Egyptians knew exactly what was happening in that region. I would wonder why you would think otherwise.

So the opening post, which at first seemed to be nonsense, has after some digging shown that perhaps a volcano could have influenced religion in the area.

I knew nothing of this volcano before this post, so I am in the same boat as you, but I would not disregard it so readily, as I have not found anything yet that merits doing so.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Plato himself claims that he got the accounts for the Egyptians (see link below), and this same link points to Santorini as a possible location for Atlantis.

Atlantis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've looked into Atlantis a bit recently, and, in fact, read a bit of Timaeus. Plato doesn't quite say that he, himself, got the story from an Egyptian priest, but that Critias, while talking to Socrates, got it from a then-elderly man named Solon, who got it from an Egyptian priest. If the telephone game is at play here, which it most likely is, it's unlikely that the account Plato recounted would exactly match that of the supposed Egyptian priest.

While I don't doubt the possible existence of a lost kingdom that fits the description of Atlantis, I do doubt the full accuracy of Plato's retelling of it.

I am not disagreeing with you, I already said they had sophisticated trade routes and used the Phoenicians for shipping.

The Phoenicians were from Canaan, and were effectively a trade shipping hub, and did indeed trade with the Greeks around that time Phoenicia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This also suggests they had strong trade with Crete, which is just below the Thera eruption. Foreign contacts of ancient Egypt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The timing is way off; that section links to about 1000 BC, six hundred years after the eruption. It's unlikely that the people of Crete would have remembered exactly what happened by that time.

Besides, Crete is almost a hundred miles from Santorini; I don't think it would have been visible. (Some unrelated research I did a few days ago seemed to indicate that, at sea level, the horizon line only goes about three miles.) At best, all they would have seen would be a massive column of smoke and ash, not the mountain it was coming from.

So it is highly probable that the Egyptians knew exactly what was happening in that region. I would wonder why you would think otherwise.
From Wikipedia on the eruption:
Impact on Egyptian history

There are no surviving Egyptian records of the eruption, and the absence of such records is sometimes attributed to the general disorder in Egypt around the Second Intermediate Period. However, there are connections between the Thera eruption and the calamities of the Admonitions of Ipuwer, a text from Lower Egypt during the Middle Kingdom or Second Intermediate Period.[48]
Heavy rainstorms which devastated much of Egypt, and were described on the Tempest Stele of Ahmose I, have been attributed to short-term climatic changes caused by the Theran eruption.[7][8][49]
While it has been argued that the damage from this storm may have been caused by an earthquake following the Thera Eruption, it has also been suggested that it was caused during a war with the Hyksos, and the storm reference is merely a metaphor for chaos, upon which the Pharaoh was attempting to impose order.[50]
There is a consensus that Egypt, being far away from areas of significant seismicAegean. Furthermore, other documents, such as Hatshepsut's Speos Artemidos, depict similar storms, but are clearly speaking figuratively, not literally. Research indicates that this particular stele is just another reference to the Pharaoh's overcoming the powers of chaos and darkness.[50] activity, would not be significantly affected by an earthquake in the

So the opening post, which at first seemed to be nonsense, has after some digging shown that perhaps a volcano could have influenced religion in the area.

I knew nothing of this volcano before this post, so I am in the same boat as you, but I would not disregard it so readily, as I have not found anything yet that merits doing so.
Oh, I don't doubt at all that volcanic activity in general may have influenced the already existing religions that would evolve into, or be stamped out by, Judaism, and even if they didn't know what caused the event, the effects on the people would have certainly influenced the religions at least somewhat.

But that's not the OP's argument: the argument is that YHWH/Elohim started as a volcano deity (i.e., in this case, YHWH is literally Mount Thera), which is almost certainly not the case.

Plus, the dating actually isn't right. If the exodus took place, it's most likely that it would have been about 1200 BC, which is 400 years after the most likely date of the Santorini eruption.

BTW, I already knew about the Santorini eruption; in fact, I've known about it for about four or five years.

outhouse

Atheistically
Oh, I don't doubt at all that volcanic activity in general may have influenced the already existing religions that would evolve into

The thing that is and has been ignored is that we have a ancient volcanic deity already [in the previous link I posted] there was no need to tie in elohim or yahweh as we already know how each deity was worshipped.

There has been massive confusion on OP's part with general fire being tied to volcanic activity despite our historical knowledge on the subject.

The Fog Horn

The inhabitants of Santorini had plenty of warning time in which to make their escapes. The eruption started slowly and even stopped for several months before the big explosion. The escapies will have set off for other Greek islands or even Egypt where they relayed their accounts and became refugees. You are very quick to make long comments that prove you don't know what you're talking about. May I recommend that instead of taking the habitual defensive stance you do some investigating from all standpoints?

Also, please tell me how there was a war in Egypt prior to the exodus that could justify the theft of what you call 'war booty' because I am unaware of any war. I am aware of natural occurances (volcanoc activity) that caused lots of devastation but no war.

Last edited:

The Fog Horn

Riverwolf...

But that's not the OP's argument: the argument is that YHWH/Elohim started as a volcano deity (i.e., in this case, YHWH is literally Mount Thera), which is almost certainly not the case.

Title of thread....'God/Yahweh/Allah I BELIEVE started as volcanic activity'

I have never said that Yahweh was Thera. Why say that when it's clearly not true? I have never said that Yahweh was any particular volcanic eruption. I have said that Yahweh started out as volcanic activity, from erupting volcanoes to lava rivers to flaming gas leaks. Lava rivers, by the way, are described as god's extended fingers, so part of Yahweh. I included the Thera eruption because it seem very clear to me that it was extremely influencial on the Hebrews. If I am correct and the ten plagues were caused by Santorini, that would explain very neatly why the Hebrews favourite Biblical saying is, 'the lord who brought us out of Egypt'. They believed the volcanic eruption (which was never described as a volcanic eruption as the word 'volcano' was not used once in the Bible....which is revealing in itself...if all descriptions are ascribed to god, they must have thought volcanoes were god....not acts of god but god) was their saviour...their deity...the one taking care of them.

Off they went with the belief their god was still looking out for them and when they came across volcanoes that seemed to represent the thing that they'd heard of back in Egypt...their saviour....they believed they had come face to face with their god. That is why they journeyed towards a 'pillar of smoke by day and a pillar of fire by night' and why Moses is said to have had a face to face conversation with god at the top of the mount....which he came away from with a flushed face. Yahweh was certainly not omnipresent then....he was in the volcano! Every volcano they came across during their journey was another opportunity to worship their god...the god of volcanic activity....not fire but volcanic activity. When the volcanoes stopped erupting or when the Hebrews moved away from the volcanoes, their imagined deity became omnipresent and omniscient....hence the sole reason for the Hebrew god remaining to this day. Had the Hebrews stayed living next to volcanoes, we would all have had no trouble working it out.....volcano verses.....church at base of volcanoes....simple. Islam has not been so good at moving away from the evidence as Mecca is right next to a massive volcano. Is that one of the reasons why Westerners are not allowed into Mecca and have restricted access to Saudi? Does that explain how the people who are right in the middle of the religion, with the evidence staring them in the face, do not have the right pair of eyes for seeing the glaringly obvious?

Last edited:

cablescavenger

I've looked into Atlantis a bit recently, and, in fact, read a bit of Timaeus. Plato doesn't quite say that he, himself, got the story from an Egyptian priest, but that Critias, while talking to Socrates, got it from a then-elderly man named Solon, who got it from an Egyptian priest. If the telephone game is at play here, which it most likely is, it's unlikely that the account Plato recounted would exactly match that of the supposed Egyptian priest.

While I don't doubt the possible existence of a lost kingdom that fits the description of Atlantis, I do doubt the full accuracy of Plato's retelling of it.

The timing is way off; that section links to about 1000 BC, six hundred years after the eruption. It's unlikely that the people of Crete would have remembered exactly what happened by that time.

Besides, Crete is almost a hundred miles from Santorini; I don't think it would have been visible. (Some unrelated research I did a few days ago seemed to indicate that, at sea level, the horizon line only goes about three miles.) At best, all they would have seen would be a massive column of smoke and ash, not the mountain it was coming from.

From Wikipedia on the eruption:
Impact on Egyptian history

There are no surviving Egyptian records of the eruption, and the absence of such records is sometimes attributed to the general disorder in Egypt around the Second Intermediate Period. However, there are connections between the Thera eruption and the calamities of the Admonitions of Ipuwer, a text from Lower Egypt during the Middle Kingdom or Second Intermediate Period.[48]
Heavy rainstorms which devastated much of Egypt, and were described on the Tempest Stele of Ahmose I, have been attributed to short-term climatic changes caused by the Theran eruption.[7][8][49]
While it has been argued that the damage from this storm may have been caused by an earthquake following the Thera Eruption, it has also been suggested that it was caused during a war with the Hyksos, and the storm reference is merely a metaphor for chaos, upon which the Pharaoh was attempting to impose order.[50]
There is a consensus that Egypt, being far away from areas of significant seismicAegean. Furthermore, other documents, such as Hatshepsut's Speos Artemidos, depict similar storms, but are clearly speaking figuratively, not literally. Research indicates that this particular stele is just another reference to the Pharaoh's overcoming the powers of chaos and darkness.[50] activity, would not be significantly affected by an earthquake in the

Oh, I don't doubt at all that volcanic activity in general may have influenced the already existing religions that would evolve into, or be stamped out by, Judaism, and even if they didn't know what caused the event, the effects on the people would have certainly influenced the religions at least somewhat.

Plus, the dating actually isn't right. If the exodus took place, it's most likely that it would have been about 1200 BC, which is 400 years after the most likely date of the Santorini eruption.

BTW, I already knew about the Santorini eruption; in fact, I've known about it for about four or five years.

Sorry, my mistake a typo error, caused by cutting and pasting, I had also heard of the Thera explosion having seen a documentary on it a few years ago, I meant to say volcano theory, meaning the theory that volcanoes were linked to the God of the bible.

Akhenaten ruled after the volcanic eruption, but suppose the effect of the volcano affected the people and their religious beliefs and created a schism with Egyptian tradition, then perhaps Akhenaten was the first Pharoah to adopt the alternative beliefs. I do not know, it is just a proposal, but if we were to assume that Akhenaten's religion was influenced by the Thera eruption, and Akhenaten's religion had an influence on Judeo-Christian religion, then the OP would have been proven.

The OP alludes to Freud's theory. While reading up on it, I came across this wiki page on Akhenaten, which suggests there could very well be well be a link between Akhenatens religion and the bible (if you go down to Akhenaten and Judeo-Christian monotheism), and suggests Akhenatens Grandfather may even be Joseph from the old testament.
Link: Akhenaten - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it gets more intriguing the more you read.

Last edited:

cablescavenger

The inhabitants of Santorini had plenty of warning time in which to make their escapes. The eruption started slowly and even stopped for several months before the big explosion. The escapies will have set off for other Greek islands or even Egypt where they relayed their accounts and became refugees. You are very quick to make long comments that prove you don't know what you're talking about. May I recommend that instead of taking the habitual defensive stance you do some investigating from all standpoints?

Also, please tell me how there was a war in Egypt prior to the exodus that could justify the theft of what you call 'war booty' because I am unaware of any war. I am aware of natural occurances (volcanoc activity) that caused lots of devastation but no war.

This would concur with your theory that the inhabitants of the island fled. Influence of the Thera

The Fog Horn

This is a great example of how a simple thing can be grossly exagerated and turned into something entirely different.

Sermon: Moses' Shining Face

Moses' shining face at the top of Mt Sinai AND when leaving the Holy of Holiest was, I believe, caused by red hot fire.....volcanic lava at the top of the mountain and volcanic lava from a lava vent or blow hole at the base of volcanoes in in volcanic fields, which the Holy of Holiest was sited above inside the Tent of the Tabernacle.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ho...rt=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0&tx=120&ty=105

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e....,cf.osb&fp=590932dbd05d341e&biw=1440&bih=672

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
The inhabitants of Santorini had plenty of warning time in which to make their escapes. The eruption started slowly and even stopped for several months before the big explosion. The escapies will have set off for other Greek islands or even Egypt where they relayed their accounts and became refugees.

I have not seen any indication of that. What are your sources?

By "war", I mean a metaphorical war.

Besides, have you READ the rest of the Torah? The Hebrews commit outright genocide at least a few times and taken the spoils of war from them (including women, against the command of YHWH.)

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Sorry, my mistake a typo error, caused by cutting and pasting, I had also heard of the Thera explosion having seen a documentary on it a few years ago, I meant to say volcano theory, meaning the theory that volcanoes were linked to the God of the bible.

Akhenaten ruled after the volcanic eruption, but suppose the effect of the volcano affected the people and their religious beliefs and created a schism with Egyptian tradition, then perhaps Akhenaten was the first Pharoah to adopt the alternative beliefs. I do not know, it is just a proposal, but if we were to assume that Akhenaten's religion was influenced by the Thera eruption, and Akhenaten's religion had an influence on Judeo-Christian religion, then the OP would have been proven.

However, using suppositions aren't enough to form a solid hypothesis. They're just speculation and opinion, nothing more.

The OP alludes to Freud's theory. While reading up on it, I came across this wiki page on Akhenaten, which suggests there could very well be well be a link between Akhenatens religion and the bible (if you go down to Akhenaten and Judeo-Christian monotheism), and suggests Akhenatens Grandfather may even be Joseph from the old testament.
Link: Akhenaten - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it gets more intriguing the more you read.

What's also quite intriging is that, from this part of the world (Eurasia), the King of Gods is often a storm God or warrior God (the latter of which YHWH clearly is). Odin, Zeus, Indra...

A more likely speculation is that YHWH is an evolution of yet another form of this King of Gods. (Much like what would happen to Zeus in later Greek religion.) But even that's just a speculation, and WAY too simple.

Again, volcanic activity may have inspired some aspects of YHWH, but chances are strong that the deity existed without volcanic activity.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
This is a great example of how a simple thing can be grossly exagerated and turned into something entirely different.

Sermon: Moses' Shining Face

Moses' shining face at the top of Mt Sinai AND when leaving the Holy of Holiest was, I believe, caused by red hot fire.....volcanic lava at the top of the mountain and volcanic lava from a lava vent or blow hole at the base of volcanoes in in volcanic fields, which the Holy of Holiest was sited above inside the Tent of the Tabernacle.

Redirect Notice

holy of holiest - Google Search

But what you clearly don't know is that holy men often are associated with glowing skin in other religions, especially Hinduism.

The Fog Horn

I have not seen any indication of that. What are your sources?

By "war", I mean a metaphorical war.

Besides, have you READ the rest of the Torah? The Hebrews commit outright genocide at least a few times and taken the spoils of war from them (including women, against the command of YHWH.)

How pityful that you need to come back to me for confirmation the Santorini eruption happened in phases. It's even mentioned in Wiki!

On Santorini, there is a 60 m (200 ft) thick layer of white tephra that overlies the soil clearly delineating the ground level prior to the eruption. This layer has three distinct bands that indicate the different phases of the eruption.[13] Studies have identified four major eruption phases, and one minor precursory tephra fall. The thinness of the first ash layer, along with the lack of noticeable erosion of that layer by winter rains before the next layer was deposited, indicate that the volcano gave the local population a few months' warning. Since no human remains have been found at the Akrotiri site, this preliminary volcanic activity probably caused the island's population to flee.

Of course I know about battles in the OT and war booty. That is a serious case of shirking responsibility for making an error. You stated the Hebrews stealing the Egyptians' jewllery was ok as it was deemed war booty. There was NO WAR then therefore no justification for taking war bootie. Instead of admitting there was no war and that the theft was a sneaky and unexpected theft of trusted employees you talk about wars much later on. That is cowardly distraction.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
How pityful that you need to come back to me for confirmation the Santorini eruption happened in phases. It's even mentioned in Wiki!

Ah. Okay. (You need to tell us where you got information. That's how debate works.)

So... this may have influenced the religion, but YHWH isn't specifically Thera, as you said earlier.

Therefore... what?

Of course I know about battles in the OT and war booty. That is a serious case of shirking responsibility for making an error. You stated the Hebrews stealing the Egyptians' jewllery was ok as it was deemed war booty.
I didn't say it was okay.

There was NO WAR then therefore no justification for taking war bootie. Instead of admitting there was no war and that the theft was a sneaky and unexpected theft of trusted employees you talk about wars much later on.
Enough with the colorful accusations. Calm down. We're not debating ethics, here.

This is how you read it. How did they read it? This is, after all, their holy book. The story is about where they, as a people, came from, and who they are. I don't think they would put something in their holy myth that makes them out to be thieves. Therefore, it's logical to assume they had a justification for it.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Besides, you claim that the Torah is based on a somewhat factual event because of its questionably moral contents, but that's not enough. What physical evidence is there?

The Fog Horn

I didn't say it was okay.

I didn't say whether it was ok or not. Both theft and war booty and wrong. The point is you said it was war booty when it was not. It is distinct from the other thefts in the Bible specifically because it is a theft and not due to a war raid. It is written evidence of sneaky and unwarrented theft from trusted people. I mentioned this before because I wanted to demonstrate how the Bible must be partially based on truth. I gave two incidents to prove my case....Moses murdering the policemand and the Hebrews stealing from the Egyptians. Both are things that would not have been written into any totally fabricated history book because both, if made up, would be unnecessary information. Why mention it if it's not true? The fact these two stories were mentioned proves they happened. Maybe the Hebrews were proud of these two stories passed down through the centuries. Many muslims in the future will be recounting the deaths of thousands of people in New York.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I didn't say whether it was ok or not.

I didn't say you did. Your words:

You stated the Hebrews stealing the Egyptians' jewllery was ok

Both theft and war booty and wrong. The point is you said it was war booty when it was not.
I said that that's how the ancient Hebrews may have interpreted the story, not what it was.

It is distinct from the other thefts in the Bible specifically because it is a theft and not due to a war raid. It is written evidence of sneaky and unwarrented theft from trusted people. I mentioned this before because I wanted to demonstrate how the Bible must be partially based on truth. I gave two incidents to prove my case....Moses murdering the policemand and the Hebrews stealing from the Egyptians. Both are things that would not have been written into any totally fabricated history book because both, if made up, would be unnecessary information. Why mention it if it's not true? The fact these two stories were mentioned proves they happened. Maybe the Hebrews were proud of these two stories passed down through the centuries. Many muslims today will be recounting the deaths of thousands of people in New York.
I just made a post (that you may not have seen) demonstrating why this is not enough for proof; we need physical evidence. The Hebrews may have had justifications; what does the Talmud say about these events?

Let me give you an example of why physical evidence is needed, and supersedes scriptural evidence.

The Rig Veda is dated by scholars to have been composed between 1900 and 1100 BC (based mostly on the linguistics of the text compared and contrasted with other languages of the time, some of the contents, and similarities to other religions of that time). However, there are other, much more liberal, datings based on some of the other contents of the hymns putting it at 3500 BC, or even 10,000 BC. Notice how the scholarly dating has more physical evidence to back it up than the liberal dating? Therefore, it's the more likely scenario.

Last edited: