• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God/Yahweh/Allah I BELIEVE started as volcanic activity

outhouse

Atheistically
This forum seems to have deviated away from it's original topic.

You mean this thread?

It hasnt at all

nor has this forum.

Ancient hebrews had a volcanic deity that has nothing to do with elohim or yahweh and is night and day different.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Ancient hebrews had a volcanic deity that has nothing to do with elohim or yahweh and is night and day different.

Would you think it's possible that perhaps some of the prayers, or the imagery used in the prayers, to this volcano deity would have been adapted for YHWH?

cablescavenger

Would you think it's possible that perhaps some of the prayers, or the imagery used in the prayers, to this volcano deity would have been adapted for YHWH?
Here is an interesting theory on the plagues of Egypt, of which some are attributed to the Thera eruption.

The Fog Horn

Yahweh said....

"Take all the heads of the people and hang them up before the Lord against the sun.” Numbers 25:4

“He cast upon them the fierceness of his anger, wrath, and indignation, and trouble, by sending evil angels among them.” Psalms 78:49

“Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger...” -- Isaiah 13:9

“The Lord is a man of War!” Exodus 15:3

"They shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child (pregnant) shall be ripped up!" Hosea 13:16

"Their children shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes! There houses spoiled, and their wives raped...Dash the young men to pieces...have no pity on the fruit of the womb, the children shall not be spared" -- Isa 13:16-18

“Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.” --Psalms 137:9

Lovely jubbly. Let's all pray to that! Amen.

outhouse

Atheistically
Yahweh said....

"Take all the heads of the people and hang them up before the Lord against the sun.” Numbers 25:4

“He cast upon them the fierceness of his anger, wrath, and indignation, and trouble, by sending evil angels among them.” Psalms 78:49

“Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger...” -- Isaiah 13:9

“The Lord is a man of War!” Exodus 15:3

"They shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child (pregnant) shall be ripped up!" Hosea 13:16

"Their children shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes! There houses spoiled, and their wives raped...Dash the young men to pieces...have no pity on the fruit of the womb, the children shall not be spared" -- Isa 13:16-18

“Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.” --Psalms 137:9

Lovely jubbly. Let's all pray to that! Amen.

and yet nothing of a volcanic deity

blackout

Violet.
A Volcanic Deity!
Just the idea of it....

I must admit, I like him more now.

:sorry1:

No I really don't care what's true. I much prefer a good story.:shrug:

The Volcano God makes for a MUCH better story.
In my mind anyway.

No, your comments about my mind can't hurt me. :cover:

Last edited:

The Fog Horn

Deuteronomy 4....Did any people ever hear the voice of God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as you have heard, and live? 34 Or did God ever try to go and take for Himself a nation from the midst of another nation, by trials, by signs, by wonders, by war, by a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, and by great terrors, according to all that the LORD your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes? 35 To you it was shown, that you might know that the LORD Himself is God; there is none other besides Him. 36 Out of heaven He let you hear His voice, that He might instruct you; on earth He showed you His great fire, and you heard His words out of the midst of the fire. 37 And because He loved your fathers, therefore He chose their descendants after them; and He brought you out of Egypt with His Presence, with His mighty power, 38 driving out from before you nations greater and mightier than you,

A reference to Santorini perhaps?

The Fog Horn

Not relevant but I thought I'd drop this in as a warning to not eat anything served by devout Jews....

Deuteronomy 14:21 “You shall not eat anything that dies of itself; you may give it to the alien who is within your gates, that he may eat it, or you may sell it to a foreigner; for you are a holy people to the LORD your God.

The Fog Horn

Deuteronomy spells out the law but with constant reminders of what the Hebrews' 'god' is supposed to have done for them and what he will do to them if they disobey him.

Deuteronomy 1

30 The LORD your God, who goes before you, He will fight for you, according to all He did for you in Egypt before your eyes, 31 and in the wilderness where you saw how the LORD your God carried you, as a man carries his son, in all the way that you went until you came to this place.’

D 4

11 “Then you came near and stood at the foot of the mountain, and the mountain burned with fire to the midst of heaven, with darkness, cloud, and thick darkness. 12 And the LORD spoke to you out of the midst of the fire.
15 “Take careful heed to yourselves, for you saw no form when the LORD spoke to you at Horeb out of the midst of the fire
20 But the LORD has taken you and brought you out of the iron furnace, out of Egypt,
24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.
33 Did any people ever hear the voice of God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as you have heard, and live? 34 Or did God ever try to go and take for Himself a nation from the midst of another nation, by trials, by signs, by wonders, by war, by a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, and by great terrors, according to all that the LORD your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes? 35 To you it was shown, that you might know that the LORD Himself is God; there is none other besides Him. 36 Out of heaven He let you hear His voice, that He might instruct you; on earth He showed you His great fire, and you heard His words out of the midst of the fire. 37 And because He loved your fathers, therefore He chose their descendants after them; and He brought you out of Egypt with His Presence, with His mighty power, 38 driving out from before you nations greater and mightier than you,

D5

4 The LORD talked with you face to face on the mountain from the midst of the fire. 5 I stood between the LORD and you at that time, to declare to you the word of the LORD; for you were afraid because of the fire, and you did not go up the mountain.
23 “So it was, when you heard the voice from the midst of the darkness, while the mountain was burning with fire, that you came near to me, all the heads of your tribes and your elders. 24 And you said: ‘Surely the LORD our God has shown us His glory and His greatness, and we have heard His voice from the midst of the fire. We have seen this day that God speaks with man; yet he still lives. 25 Now therefore, why should we die? For this great fire will consume us; if we hear the voice of the LORD our God anymore, then we shall die. 26 For who is there of all flesh who has heard the voice of the living God speaking from the midst of the fire, as we have, and lived?

D6

‘We were slaves of Pharaoh in Egypt, and the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand; 22 and the LORD showed signs and wonders before our eyes, great and severe, against Egypt, Pharaoh, and all his household. 23 Then He brought us out from there, that He might bring us in, to give us the land of which He swore to our fathers. 24 And the LORD commanded us to observe all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God

D7

The LORD did not set His love on you nor choose you because you were more in number than any other people, for you were the least of all peoples; 8 but because the LORD loves you, and because He would keep the oath which He swore to your fathers, the LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you from the house of bondage, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

D8

when your heart is lifted up, and you forget the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage; 15 who led you through that great and terrible wilderness, in which were fiery serpents and scorpions and thirsty land where there was no water; who brought water for you out of the flinty rock; 16 who fed you in the wilderness with manna, which your fathers did not know,

D9

3 Therefore understand today that the LORD your God is He who goes over before you as a consuming fire. He will destroy them and bring them down before you
7 “Remember! Do not forget how you provoked the LORD your God to wrath in the wilderness. From the day that you departed from the land of Egypt until you came to this place, you have been rebellious against the LORD. 8 Also in Horeb you provoked the LORD to wrath, so that the LORD was angry enough with you to have destroyed you.
10 Then the LORD delivered to me two tablets of stone written with the finger of God, and on them were all the words which the LORD had spoken to you on the mountain from the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly
15 “So I turned and came down from the mountain, and the mountain burned with fire; and the two tablets of the covenant were in my two hands.
19 For I was afraid of the anger and hot displeasure with which the LORD was angry with you, to destroy you. But the LORD listened to me at that time also. 20 And the LORD was very angry with Aaron and would have destroyed him; so I prayed for Aaron also at the same time. 21 Then I took your sin, the calf which you had made, and burned it with fire and crushed it and ground it very small, until it was as fine as dust; and I threw its dust into the brook that descended from the mountain.

D10

4 And He wrote on the tablets according to the first writing, the Ten Commandments, which the LORD had spoken to you in the mountain from the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly;

D1O

10 “As at the first time, I stayed in the mountain forty days and forty nights; the LORD also heard me at that time, and the LORD chose not to destroy you.
19 Therefore love the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.

D28

20 “The LORD will send on you cursing, confusion, and rebuke in all that you set your hand to do, until you are destroyed and until you perish quickly, because of the wickedness of your doings in which you have forsaken Me. 21 The LORD will make the plague cling to you until He has consumed you from the land which you are going to possess. 22 The LORD will strike you with consumption, with fever, with inflammation, with severe burning fever, with the sword, with scorching, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until you perish. 23 And your heavens which are over your head shall be bronze, and the earth which is under you shall be iron. 24 The LORD will change the rain of your land to powder and dust; from the heaven it shall come down on you until you are destroyed.

D29

20 “The LORD would not spare him; for then the anger of the LORD and His jealousy would burn against that man,
23 ‘The whole land is brimstone, salt, and burning; it is not sown, nor does it bear, nor does any grass grow there, like the overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah, Admah, and Zeboiim, which the LORD overthrew in His anger and His wrath.’ 24 All nations would say, ‘Why has the LORD done so to this land? What does the heat of this great anger mean?’ 25 Then people would say: ‘Because they have forsaken the covenant of the LORD God of their fathers, which He made with them when He brought them out of the land of Egypt; 26 for they went and served other gods and worshiped them, gods that they did not know and that He had not given to them. 27 Then the anger of the LORD was aroused against this land, to bring on it every curse that is written in this book. 28 And the LORD uprooted them from their land in anger, in wrath, and in great indignation, and cast them into another land, as it is this day.’

D33

“The LORD came from Sinai,
And dawned on them from Seir;
He shone forth from Mount Paran,
And He came with ten thousands of saints;
From His right hand
Came a fiery law for them.

There are many more verses in Deuteronomy that say, 'who brought you out of Egypt' that I didn't include. The over use of this phrase shows how significant the leaving of Egypt was. There is no mention of Adam and Eve in Deuteronomy. This tells me that the first time the Hebrews were made aware of 'their god' was during the ten plagues of Egypt. It all started then. 'Signs and wonders and great terrors'. This was an over-sight of the author of Deuteronomy because to make the reader believe 'god' existed prior to the Exodus, it would have been necessary to mention his signs and wonders from Genesis as well as from Exodus.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
This tells me that the first time the Hebrews were made aware of 'their god' was during the ten plagues of Egypt

:facepalm::facepalm:

and deuter was written hundreds of years after they had already been worshipping many gods and before they became yahwist,

fail again. you just dont seem to grasp this.

ancient hebrews had a volcanic deity and it wasnt yahweh who was a warrior god.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
There are rules against people making definitive statements.

1. You've made several in this thread.
2. Rule 8 is for religious statements, primarily applying them to everyone except one's self. Outhouse's statement is an historical one, which has already been backed up with sources.
3. This sort of response is known as a "Red Herring." I.e., it's entirely irrelevant.

The Fog Horn

'ancient hebrews had a volcanic deity and it wasnt yahweh who was a warrior god.' Outhouse

For most of this thread you, Outhouse, denied any link to a volcano so it's nice you now realise there is of course a link. Can you please provide evidence of the claim Yahweh was a warrier god as opposed to a volcanic activity god?

outhouse

Atheistically
try reading the bible

is he not called "lord of armies" 280 times

not once is he called lord of the volcano

The Fog Horn

Exodus 15....

Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the Lord, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea. 2 The Lord is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him. 3 The Lord is a man of war: the Lord is his name. 4 Pharaoh's chariots and his host hath he cast into the sea: his chosen captains also are drowned in the Red sea. 5 The depths have covered them: they sank into the bottom as a stone. 6 Thy right hand, O Lord, is become glorious in power: thy right hand, O Lord, hath dashed in pieces the enemy. 7 And in the greatness of thine excellency thou hast overthrown them that rose up against thee: thou sentest forth thy wrath, which consumed them as stubble. 8 And with the blast of thy nostrils the waters were gathered together, the floods stood upright as an heap, and the depths were congealed in the heart of the sea (tsunami). 9 The enemy said, I will pursue, I will overtake, I will divide the spoil; my lust shall be satisfied upon them; I will draw my sword, my hand shall destroy [1] them. 10 Thou didst blow with thy wind, the sea covered them: they sank as lead in the mighty waters. 11 Who is like unto thee, O Lord, among the gods [2] who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders? 12 Thou stretchedst out thy right hand, the earth swallowed them. 13 Thou in thy mercy hast led forth the people which thou hast redeemed: thou hast guided them in thy strength unto thy holy habitation. 14 The people shall hear, and be afraid: sorrow shall take hold on the inhabitants of Palestina. 15 Then the dukes of Edom shall be amazed; the mighty men of Moab, trembling shall take hold upon them; all the inhabitants of Canaan shall melt away. 16 Fear and dread shall fall upon them; by the greatness of thine arm they shall be as still as a stone; till thy people pass over, O Lord, till the people pass over, which thou hast purchased. 17 Thou shalt bring them in, and plant them in the mountain of thine inheritance, in the place, O Lord, which thou hast made for thee to dwell in, in the Sanctuary, O Lord, which thy hands have established (a mountain for god to live in). 18 The Lord shall reign for ever and ever. 19 For the horse of Pharaoh went in with his chariots and with his horsemen into the sea, and the Lord brought again the waters of the sea upon them; but the children of Israel went on dry land in the midst of the sea. 20 And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances. 21 And Miriam answered them, Sing ye to the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.

So the use of the word volcano is not needed and the use of the term 'Lord of war' doesn't indicate a warrier waving swords but is a metaphor for someone or something believed to be acting AS a Lord of war. Volcanic activity that resulted in the tsunami that killed the Egyptian army would have given the Hebrews the idea the volcano was their Lord of war.....so they went off to the volcano or any other volcano to have a look at their god. Up to the volcano to see where 'he resides'. The absense of the word volcano in the Bible speaks volumes. It certainly does not mean the Hebrews never encountered volcanoes. It means they had other terms and names for them....'Most High', etc...

'a mountain made for thee (god) to dwell in'

poeticnonprofit

heres one for ya im not attacking you in any way .the first six verses in genisis do not declare the the deep as water in fact look at as space looking down as though ur above it then water at this altitude ice is made so let there be light this would melt the ice becoming rain gasses steam evapororation all matter is made of atoms and electricity that collect tightly giveing form this would answer how the the void was filled proving creation is evolution as well as design by us the tillrs or wanna be gods lucifer had no rule over less by fear or love for we are our fathers image of self idolatry