• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexual adoption - Abomination or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I find it interesting how instead of actually answering the question, you leave your reply vague enough for wiggle room later.

Then you offer nothing in clarification when asked about it.

There is far more interesting things then this. :)

Saying this twice isn't going to make me answer again......just so you know. :D

I could have sworn I objected to it from the getgo. I don't know why you feel the need to continue to poke and prod. Have you considered trampolines as a hobby? That is far more interesting.

nnmartin

Adoption fills more than just the desire to have and raise children. It does so in a way that fulfills the need for certain children which have no families to be raised by those who actually want them The desire to adopt may have nothing to do with whether or not a couple can produce their own children, or even if they already have children or not.
But like I have said many times, if a gay couple wants a child they can go out and produce one easily enough.

Many people adopt because they feel a desire to help a child. To give a child a loving home. One they know they can provide. This is true for heterosexuals and homosexuals. It is not an orientation related decision, it is a human being related decision.
It is not really about the parents' desires but what is considered to be a good environment for a child to be brought up in. A system of homosexual adoptive parents is hardly normal or natural and this must be very confusing for a child to deal with especially around puberty.

Furthermore, as to having a mom and a dad to fill some supposed need for certain gender role models, that's absurd. As single parents have been raising children by themselves forever. Role models, ideas about gender, and so forth can and are supplied by various people in the life of a child.
That may be true but a child should relate to his parents the most. A gay man or woman however good their intentions may be will most likely have their own viewpoint of the world and its gender roles and cannot possibly fail to impart these onto the child.

Just because a couple is heterosexual does not mean that they are automatically a better choice for a child to be with.
Perhaps not but they are the natural choice. One learns just as much from negative behaviour as from positive -for example if your dad comes home and berates you for not standing up for yourself that is a good learning experience.

People should be judged for who they are and how they care for and love a child, not for which way their orientation happens to go
They may love the child but their orientation will affect the care and love they give. It is not natural - it is like making your pet dog vegetarian because you do not eat meat yourself.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
But like I have said many times, if a gay couple wants a child they can go out and produce one easily enough.

It is not really about the parents' desires but what is considered to be a good environment for a child to be brought up in. A system of homosexual adoptive parents is hardly normal or natural and this must be very confusing for a child to deal with especially around puberty.

That may be true but a child should relate to his parents the most. A gay man or woman however good their intentions may be will most likely have their own viewpoint of the world and its gender roles and cannot possibly fail to impart these onto the child.

Perhaps not but they are the natural choice. One learns just as much from negative behaviour as from positive -for example if your dad comes home and berates you for not standing up for yourself that is a good learning experience.

They may love the child but their orientation will affect the care and love they give. It is not natural - it is like making your pet dog vegetarian because you do not eat meat yourself.

How about this: if you are against gay marriage and gay adoption, don't get gay married and gay adopt. End of issue. How is anybody else's family life any of your business?

Last edited:

nnmartin

How about this: if you are against gay marriage and gay adoption, don't get gay married and gay adopt. End of issue. How is anybody else's family life any of your business?

It is called the Rule of Law.

How about if a parent wanted to beat their child senseless every night - should we allow it because it is their family?

anyway, gay marriage and adoption is not a family , merely a modern day concept where the rule of money has sway over ethics.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Paying taxes has nothing to do with it.
I think I will marry my pet dog and bring up a child with it - any objections?
Gays & pets....what an interesting analog.
It suggests that gays shouldn't drive cars or become accountants either.
At least we can still take our gays out for a walk...as long as we scoop up after them.

Last edited:

nnmartin

If a man can marry a man then surely a man can marry a dog or even a cat.

It's virtually the same.

Last edited:

nnmartin

ok, yes, I admit that marrying one's dog or cat was meant to be a joke but really the line must be drawn somewhere.

Anyway, I've started a new thread on this topic.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
There is far more interesting things then this. :)

Saying this twice isn't going to make me answer again......just so you know. :D

I could have sworn I objected to it from the getgo. I don't know why you feel the need to continue to poke and prod. Have you considered trampolines as a hobby? That is far more interesting.
I was merely pointing out the fact that you did not actually answer the question.
One has to assume your answer.

Hell no I am not expecting you to actually answer the question.
If you were going to, you would have.

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
The fact that the title of this thread contains the word 'abomination' tells me immediately that the entire thing is tainted by strong, fear-based, subjective emotionalism. That word is inherently irrational, being a descriptive of someone's emotional reaction, and intended to provoke the opposite reaction from readers.

So it does not surprise me that the idea of rational debate, using source materials, was rejected pretty much from the beginning. The whole thread is intended to be inflammatory, provoking anger from the outset so that when indignation is expressed, the author can oh-so-cleverly claim some kind of emotional bias against himself. Even to the point of inventing vocabulary. Though I must admit, 'liberofascist' displays a high level of creativity for someone using these tactics. :facepalm:

I smell a troll. But troll-baiting can be fun, as many of you have ably demonstrated throughout this ludicrously titled thread.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I've never discussed this issue so thought I would see what the general views were.

I am talking about homosexual adoption , ie: Two men or Two women as a couple legally adopting a young child.

As a general feeling I believe this to be wrong and should be banned for the good of the child.

Perhaps under certain scenarios it might be possible to a lesbian couple to adopt as women have naturally maternal instincts but I don't think two men would be appropriate.

I am not homophobic by the way.

any views or questions - please go ahead.

i think it shows that they are as human as anyone else and carry the natural desires that we all carry...procreation is an inbuilt desire for most people...they are no different in that sense.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
ok, yes, I admit that marrying one's dog or cat was meant to be a joke but really the line must be drawn somewhere.

Anyway, I've started a new thread on this topic.

I think I drew a well defined line up there just for you.

Yeah, we should get back on topic.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
The fact that the title of this thread contains the word 'abomination' tells me immediately that the entire thing is tainted by strong, fear-based, subjective emotionalism. That word is inherently irrational, being a descriptive of someone's emotional reaction, and intended to provoke the opposite reaction from readers.

So it does not surprise me that the idea of rational debate, using source materials, was rejected pretty much from the beginning. The whole thread is intended to be inflammatory, provoking anger from the outset so that when indignation is expressed, the author can oh-so-cleverly claim some kind of emotional bias against himself. Even to the point of inventing vocabulary. Though I must admit, 'liberofascist' displays a high level of creativity for someone using these tactics. :facepalm:

I smell a troll. But troll-baiting can be fun, as many of you have ably demonstrated throughout this ludicrously titled thread.

I smell one, too. One of those that actually supports the opposing view of it's intended OP and wants to get people to rally behind their ulterior position. :p

It's okay. They have some stuff to discuss.

I've never discussed this issue so thought I would see what the general views were.

I am talking about homosexual adoption , ie: Two men or Two women as a couple legally adopting a young child.

As a general feeling I believe this to be wrong and should be banned for the good of the child.

Perhaps under certain scenarios it might be possible to a lesbian couple to adopt as women have naturally maternal instincts but I don't think two men would be appropriate.

I am not homophobic by the way.

any views or questions - please go ahead.

I can see how other kids might make fun of the children with 2 mothers or 2 fathers. How kids feel about this themselves is important too. If I was going to make any argument beforehand I would want to see a meta-analysys done on this. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. The kids come first, though. I wouldn't accept an argument along the lines, 'We should be allowed to have kids too, regardless of the psychogical problems and social abuse the children are at risk for'.

Alceste

Vagabond
It is called the Rule of Law.

How about if a parent wanted to beat their child senseless every night - should we allow it because it is their family?

anyway, gay marriage and adoption is not a family , merely a modern day concept where the rule of money has sway over ethics.

Well thank heavens your bigoted view is in the minority. I would hate to live in a country where laws were based on hatred of minorities and juvenile squeamishness about sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.