• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is it true "Jesus is God"?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do not agree that being of "holy divine nature" is the same as being God. We are also commanded to be holy. We are also sent out to "be disciples".

Littleman

God is God and Jesus is his prophet

very simple

once you start deifying people it becomes impossible to decide which of the many deified humans are actually gods

is it krishna? jesus? the pharaohs? alexander scriabin?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
God is God and Jesus is his prophet

very simple

once you start deifying people it becomes impossible to decide which of the many deified humans are actually gods

is it krishna? jesus? the pharaohs? alexander scriabin?
God is Father, Son, Holy Spirit, and Jesus is the Son.

Very simple.

Once you realize that it wasn't that a human being was deified, but that God became Incarnate, it becomes possible to divorce they mythos of Christianity from that of other systems.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Very simple.

Once you realize that it wasn't that a human being was deified, but that God became Incarnate, it becomes possible to divorce they mythos of Christianity from that of other systems.

The problem with that is God is a man before God even created Man.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Holy" means "separated out." That's simply not the same thing as having a divine nature.

I do not agree that being of "holy divine nature" is the same as being God. We are also commanded to be holy. We are also sent out to "be disciples".

Holy and divine nature is not the same as God. There are other persons who are holy and divine. Unless you are using the word to mean only One God, The True God.

Holy means for God alone. Divine means from God. So we can be on a mission from God and for God. This I believe.

Littleman

Very simple.

but Krishna, Buddha and the many other avatars of Vishnu are also called 'God incarnate'

if i was going to believe in incarnation i would have a lot of supposed incarnations to choose from

sojourner

but Krishna, Buddha and the many other avatars of Vishnu are also called 'God incarnate'

if i was going to believe in incarnation i would have a lot of supposed incarnations to choose from
Buddha isn't an incarnation of Vishnu, so far as I'm aware. Krishna was the 8th incarnation of Vishnu. But that's a different mythos than God Incarnate.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
1. The Father is the uncreated Person of God
2. The Son is with The Father from the beginning, thus also uncreated
3. Jesus is the same as The Son, who is uncreated.
4. Jesus was a man
5. The man Jesus existed before any man did.

sojourner

1. The Father is the uncreated Person of God
2. The Son is with The Father from the beginning, thus also uncreated
3. Jesus is the same as The Son, who is uncreated.
4. Jesus was a man
5. The man Jesus existed before any man did.
Jesus was only a man when he became Incarnate.

Littleman

Buddha isn't an incarnation of Vishnu, so far as I'm aware. Krishna was the 8th incarnation of Vishnu. But that's a different mythos than God Incarnate.

WIKIPEDIA: The Buddha in Hinduism is viewed as an Avatar of Vishnu. Many Hindu texts including Bhagavata Purana, Bhavishya Purana, Narasimha Purana etc. enlist the Buddha as an avatar of Vishnu.

from my perspective, the only significant difference between the 'incarnation' through Christ and the 'manifestation' through the avatars of Vishnu is that there are many avatars and only one incarnation

incarnation and avatar seem like different words for the same thing, just like 'God' and 'Allah' and 'Yahweh'

but if i were to believe in incarnation i would have no reason to believe that there was only one incarnation; i would have no compelling reason to favor Jesus over Krishna and Buddha

sojourner

WIKIPEDIA: The Buddha in Hinduism is viewed as an Avatar of Vishnu. Many Hindu texts including Bhagavata Purana, Bhavishya Purana, Narasimha Purana etc. enlist the Buddha as an avatar of Vishnu.

from my perspective, the only significant difference between the 'incarnation' through Christ and the 'manifestation' through the avatars of Vishnu is that there are many avatars and only one incarnation

incarnation and avatar seem like different words for the same thing, just like 'God' and 'Allah' and 'Yahweh'

but if i were to believe in incarnation i would have no reason to believe that there was only one incarnation; i would have no compelling reason to favor Jesus over Krishna and Buddha
Form wiki answers:
"Buddha was not a god, never claimed to be a god, and did not call himself a god. He lived his life like a normal human. He was awake and a human just like you and me, he bled, got sick and he died of food poisoning. A god would not die from food poisoning.

Yes, Buddha never claimed himself as a god, but he was a great teacher.
When asked if he were a God, Buddha said No. 'Then, teacher, what are you?' to which he replied... 'Awake!'

sojourner

Xy draws a distinction between Incarnation and "manifestation."