• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am a good man, so why don't I have a girlfriend? Do I need to be a jerk instead?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What do serious relationships have to do with what we are talking about? :sarcastic

We are talking about getting into relationships. Not about how to make them last.

Getting into relationships is the easiest thing on earth, Koldo. Making them worthwhile is a bit more difficult even than making them last a long time.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
What do serious relationships have to do with what we are talking about? :sarcastic

We are talking about getting into relationships. Not about how to make them last.
Like I said much earlier in the thread.... and the subject of the OP by the way...

Getting the first date is nothing, it's the second and beyond that matter.

The OP asked about getting a woman to not just date but to stick around after the first date. Thus, your experience in accomplishing the full task is quite relevant.

You don't want to take advice from just anyone.

wa:do

Alceste

Vagabond
But you know a sizable amount of females do reward and reinforce that sort of mentality.

Not where I live.

Here's my hypothesis: I believe this opinion comes from tying oneself in knots trying to figure out how to "get" a woman, only to see her go off with someone else despite your best efforts. That stings! It's only natural to project your feelings of sexual inadequacy onto your more fortunate sexual competitor - it's not that he's more attractive than you are, to her, it has to be that he's a BAD PERSON and women like BAD PEOPLE. It's a neat and tidy little diversion of the pain of rejection.

The female equivalent of this neurosis is that men prefer crazy, superficial B****** with surgically enhanced boobs and fake blonde hair. For some women, it will never matter how many men tell her that's not what they're into - they can only cope with the pain of rejection by attributing it to some grave character flaw shared by everyone of the opposite gender.

Here's my honest opinion: Lots of men are jerks. Lots of women are crazy B******. Most people, short of some terrible physical affliction that presents a major obstacle, have sex. I haven't seen any evidence that the jerks and crazy B****** are having any more sex than anybody else, although it may be true that they have more sexual partners over their lives, on account of being poorly equipped to sustain a healthy pair bond for a long period of time.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Like I said, are you including the possibility that we CAN get relationships if we wanted? I'd be in a relationship right now if I wanted to. Maybe I COULD get one or are you assuming I can't because my attitude clashes with what you like or dislike? And actually, I turn down sex because of my religion. From more than one model to say the least. My idea of action doesn't involve the full shebang.
You won't mind if I'm not fully convinced.

Most guys claim they can get in a relationship whenever they want to... they just don't want to. Like the smoker who claims they can quit anytime... they just don't want to. It's very soothing to the ego.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
This thread has degraded into a nightmare of "How to pick up chicks".

What was the question of the OP again? Wasn't it asking about acting like a jerk or not to get a girlfriend?

Shermana

Heretic
You won't mind if I'm not fully convinced.

Most guys claim they can get in a relationship whenever they want to... they just don't want to. Like the smoker who claims they can quit anytime... they just don't want to. It's very soothing to the ego.

Free free to remain unconvinced, as if there's any way I can show you short of demonstrating in person.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Not where I live.

Here's my hypothesis: I believe this opinion comes from tying oneself in knots trying to figure out how to "get" a woman, only to see her go off with someone else despite your best efforts. That stings! It's only natural to project your feelings of sexual inadequacy onto your more fortunate sexual competitor - it's not that he's more attractive than you are, to her, it has to be that he's a BAD PERSON and women like BAD PEOPLE. It's a neat and tidy little diversion of the pain of rejection.

The female equivalent of this neurosis is that men prefer crazy, superficial B****** with surgically enhanced boobs and fake blonde hair. For some women, it will never matter how many men tell her that's not what they're into - they can only cope with the pain of rejection by attributing it to some grave character flaw shared by everyone of the opposite gender.

Here's my honest opinion: Lots of men are jerks. Lots of women are crazy B******. Most people, short of some terrible physical affliction that presents a major obstacle, have sex. I haven't seen any evidence that the jerks and crazy B****** are having any more sex than anybody else, although it may be true that they have more sexual partners over their lives, on account of being poorly equipped to sustain a healthy pair bond for a long period of time.

Ah, a voice of reason. Thank you! :bow:

Alceste

Vagabond
Every woman has her own idea of "good taste" I suppose. That's what half this argument is about. But I take it that you're agreeing that perhaps the blame is on the women who feed our perceptions rather than the men who act on them?

Maybe I've been in California too long. (And New York. And Michigan. And Florida.)

No, I'm not agreeing with you. I haven't accepted your proposition that women prefer jerks. I know a LOT of women, from all over the world. Women talk about men and sex all the time, pretty much whenever we get the chance. I've never ONCE, in all these hundreds of conversations, heard any woman state or even imply that she prefers "jerks" to "nice" guys.

Wouldn't you say that your impression of what it takes to be a "jerk" might be entirely subjective, and consequently unreliable? What is it about all these men who are getting more women than you are that makes them bigger "jerks" than you?

Shermana

Heretic
Again, we're not talking about "jerks" and "nice guys" as in the actual uses of the term, those are terms of convenience.

As for your next question, I think we've addressed this earlier, especially when I said "Women decide what works for them, see what works, and do it better than the competition does it", the guys who get all the women are the ones who are doing "what works". I said it quite often has to do with physical looks. I don't see anything wrong with what I said. What I see here is some denial of the facts on the ground which feeds all of our experience and perceptions. If you don't like the fact that the majority of women go for shallow good looking guys who are confident in themselves, take it up with the women, not the men who perceive it and act on it by trying to do "What works" and winning at it. We're not defending the nice guys either. We're not condemning the female actions. We're just saying what happens. It seems the truth of the majority strikes a nerve with some.....

Would I even have friends with benefits if I was doing something wrong? Why do you think we're bad for simply pointing out that there is in fact a "formula" that works in most observed cases? If you're the exception to the rule, great.

In all of MY hundreds of conversations, I've not heard anything that differs from what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Like I said much earlier in the thread.... and the subject of the OP by the way...

Getting the first date is nothing, it's the second and beyond that matter.

The OP asked about getting a woman to not just date but to stick around after the first date.

The OP was talking about being unable to get even the first date. He just mentioned 1 exception.

Thus, your experience in accomplishing the full task is quite relevant.

You don't want to take advice from just anyone.

There are a lot of different men and women out there. People who haven't been into several first dates with different people and managed to estabilish a relationship in several cases are unlikely to be able to give useful advices.

There are some people out there who have only had 1 partner for their entire lives. They only lived through the first moments of a new relationship once, and it just happened to work out. Just because it worked in 1 case it doesn't mean it is going to work again. If you want tips on this step of relationships, you better off talking to someone that has been into it for several times. This kind of person has a LOT of experience on how to do it, and may actually give useful advice.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Not where I live.
I imagine that it is based on cultural attitudes. U.S. society in general can be shallow lemmings.

Sure, but I hope you're not implying that's where I'm coming from? There have been girls I've known from my past, such as an ex-roommate for example, who did prefer the "bad boy" (picking up biker types and gangsta thug types from seedy bars), she had been raped on more than one occasion, and being in one abusive relationship after another, yet always found herself pursuing the same sort of guys and ending up in the same sort of situations. Of course, this doesn't represent the average female, but it isn't uncommon, either.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
This thread has degraded into a nightmare of "How to pick up chicks".

What was the question of the OP again? Wasn't it asking about acting like a jerk or not to get a girlfriend?

Actually the main concern of the OP is exactly 'How to pick up chicks'. :D