• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am a good man, so why don't I have a girlfriend? Do I need to be a jerk instead?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
If you try to link any individual characteristic (like intelligence alone) to the much broader concept of being "sexy", you're gonna have a bad time.

I agree. ;)

You keep missing the point... intelligence isn't the only factor.

Why do I keep having to repeat myself? Is it really that difficult a concept? :slap:

One last time... I can't declare anyone "sexy" based on a limited data set... that simply isn't the way my brain or my libido works.

wa:do

That's where i wanted to get at.
So, do you agree it is an overstatement to say that intelligence is very sexy?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
That would be like asking "If a girl is physicaly atractive, would she be sexy?"

They have to actually experience the inteligence I would guess. Talk to him or something.

So, do you agree it is an overstatement to say intelligence is very sexy?
If it was, they wouldn't need to experience it to find out whether someone that is intelligent is sexy .

Gee, maybe because you're asking if we find this specific person sexy? Duh. :facepalm:

I have already explained he is just an example. How many times will i have to repeat myself?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It would be accurate for the most part to say that intelligence is sexy, but inaccurate for the most part to say that sexy is intelligence.

Out of sexy and intelligence, sexy is the broader category. An individual trait may be sexy and add to the potential sexiness, but an individual trait does not make something sexy. For many people, intelligence is necessary but not sufficient for sexiness.

::starts drawing Venn diagrams and flow charts::

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I agree. ;)
That's where i wanted to get at.
So, do you agree it is an overstatement to say that intelligence is very sexy?
Intelligence is one of several interwoven traits that I find leads to "sexy".

I've never met someone I consider "sexy" who hasn't also been intelligent (I'm not expecting PhD here either). That said, I know lots of intelligent people who I don't consider "sexy" either.

I tend not to spend a lot of real world time around people I consider "dumb as a stump".

wa:do

*intelligence was a factor in my mate choice. So it was one of the very important characteristics.... just not the only one.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
No amount of repetition will make a stupid argument sensible, so please don't bother.

Let's try a different example then.
Imagine an ugly person. Not extremely ugly, just ugly.
Now imagine this person is also extremely intelligent.
Now imagine this person doesn't possess any other relevant trait. Neither for good nor for bad.
Would you find this person sexy?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Let's try a different example then.
Imagine an ugly person. Not extremely ugly, just ugly.
Now imagine this person is also extremely intelligent.
Now imagine this person doesn't possess any other relevant trait. Neither for good nor for bad.
Would you find this person sexy?
I find that person unimaginable.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I'll let the personal attack slide ONCE.

What personal attack? You just said you are unable to imagine the person i proposed to you. If you were unable to do so, how would i continue a conversation from there?

You didn't describe a person, you described a robot.

Some restrains are required to make sure you are only evaluating the relevant traits. Otherwise you would take other factors into consideration that have nothing to do with the matter at hand.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
What personal attack? You just said you are unable to imagine the person i proposed to you. If you were unable to do so, how would i continue a conversation from there?
You could actually describe a PERSON. The PERSON that lacks a SINGLE trait of PERSONALITY does not exist.

If I must be bluntly ridiculous: No, I would never attempt to boink the encyclopedia. I REALLY don't want papercuts there!

Some restrains are required to make sure you are only evaluating the relevant traits. Otherwise you would take other factors into consideration that have nothing to do with the matter at hand.
No, they're really not. I (and others) have said quite clearly, several times, that intelligence is sexy. Why are you so desperate to prove us wrong?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
It would be accurate for the most part to say that intelligence is sexy, but inaccurate for the most part to say that sexy is intelligence.

Out of sexy and intelligence, sexy is the broader category. An individual trait may be sexy and add to the potential sexiness, but an individual trait does not make something sexy. For many people, intelligence is necessary but not sufficient for sexiness.

::starts drawing Venn diagrams and flow charts::

Intelligence is one of several interwoven traits that I find leads to "sexy".

Looks like we are drawing closer to a common ground then. ;)
My main contention is that 'Intelligence is not sexy to the point all one needs is to have a lot of it to be considered sexy'.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
My main contention is that 'Intelligence is not sexy to the point all one needs is to have a lot of it to be considered sexy'.
And you accused me of burning strawmen. :facepalm:

Tell me, can you name a single person in this thread who said anything of the sort?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You could actually describe a PERSON. The PERSON that lacks a SINGLE trait of PERSONALITY does not exist.

If I must be bluntly ridiculous: No, I would never attempt to boink the encyclopedia. I REALLY don't want papercuts there!

What are you referring to?
What single trait of personality my proposed person is lacking?

No, they're really not. I (and others) have said quite clearly, several times, that intelligence is sexy. Why are you so desperate to prove us wrong?

I am not.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
What are you referring to?
What single trait of personality my proposed person is lacking?
By your own stipulation, all possible traits. Intelligence is not personality. Looks are not personality. The pseudo-person you described has no personality, since you explicitly said so. That is NOT A PERSON.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think that's what's happening.

I think most people here already basically had common ground on this point and these other statements were mainly strawmen.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
By your own stipulation, all possible traits. Intelligence is not personality. Looks are not personality. The pseudo-person you described has no personality, since you explicitly said so. That is NOT A PERSON.

When i said he doesn't have any relevant traits, i didn't say it as if he didn't have any traits at all. He has all of them like any other human, expect they are quite from being worth writting home about.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
When i said he doesn't have any relevant traits, i didn't say it as if he didn't have any traits at all. He has all of them like any other human, expect they are quite from being worth writting home about.
News flash: ALL personality traits are relevant.