• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God exists why is he hiding?

Blackdog22

I ask, why would He not? Once He came out and was promptly crucified. Who will like repeated cucifixion?

Why does God presenting himself have to end in a blood sacrifice? Enough with all the drama, can we just have "fun" with God for once where he isn't demanding something to be burned, tortured, killed, sacrificed, flooded, enslaved, raped, etc? I mean good lord even the end times are filled with great agony. Apparently God is going to send angels and various creatures to rape us all before our "apparent" descent into hell (If you don't believe in hell, fine. The end times are still jacked up).

Why not just come down and eat a steak for once and oh I dunno, give us all magical flying powersl? Why is that so bad? Where is Gods sense of compassion, friendship and just.... does the guy have any sense of fun at all? Oh and bonus question... if he doesn't then where does our sense of fun come from =D. What does he gain by having us all tortured multiple times?

Blackdog22

Why do we need a book? Why do we need a book written by known authors who saw and knew Jesus? You'd just refute them as crazy, or lying. It wouldn't change a thing.

Ummm, yes, yes actually it would. Compared to a book written by unknown authors, without magical paper made out of a burning bush, and without multiple historians to back up the claims.

Do you not understand how historical evidence works? Obviously the weaker of these 2 books would be the bible we have now. So yeah, it would make a difference.

Oh and Sojourner, please do tell us exactly how it is that you can see God. I know your scared of the nasty atheists pointing out the logical fallacies, but honestly.... Were already pointing out your logical fallacies, why not contribute to the main idea behind the thread? That is why is God hiding... If you can see God, then please teach us all how. I want to see God too. Maybe you could describe his face so I am sure that I am looking at God. Does he have a body? Is he blonde or red haired? Does his face shine with bronze or is it just a blob? Little details like this can make what your saying a bit more substantial. Otherwise it isn't likely that you have actually seen God.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Ummm, yes, yes actually it would. Compared to a book written by unknown authors, without magical paper made out of a burning bush, and without multiple historians to back up the claims.

Do you not understand how historical evidence works? Obviously the weaker of these 2 books would be the bible we have now. So yeah, it would make a difference.

good point

it would have historicity

it may still be questioned but the ney sayers would be shot down.

Instead we have %100 historicity that man creates deitys and has since his existance

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I am merely pointing out a fatal flaw in the reasoning of some people.
I suppose you've never stopped to consider that, for those of us here, "wishful thinking" isn't part of the equation?
So if i were a counselor and still had this position i would be wrong?
Yes, because a real counselor wouldn't be throwing their professional opinion around on the internet.

sojourner

because it would be nice to prove its real instead of ancient man making up a religion and god as he has done so many many many times in the past.
Be nice to have a million dollars and a mansion, too, but that doesn't mean my life, as it is, isn't real...
Do you think I enjoyed waking up one day to realize all gods were a complete fabrication of ancient mans imagination only???
Do you think there's a possibility that you might be mistaken about that?
part of me still wants the fantasy to be real. BUT you cant change history now can you?????
Life and experience go a lot deeper than history.

sojourner

Seriously?
that is best you can come up with?
Wow.
So there is something wrong with imagination. Mkay...
Don't invite me to your next party. It'd be dry as old toast.
Being able to distinguish reality from fantasy is something I find to be a good thing.
Now I understand that there are people in the world who much prefer fantasy over reality.
I just happen to NOT be one of them.
OMG! When you were a kid, you thought Bugs Bunny was REAL?!
No wonder you're disenchanted with imagination!

sojourner

Yeah, I have read it many, many times...

Some chick ate a magical apple that possessed her ability to know right from wrong and then God decided to curse everyone that came after her forever because he is "neato".

What is your point?
Read it again.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
So there is something wrong with imagination. Mkay...
Don't invite me to your next party. It'd be dry as old toast.

OMG! When you were a kid, you thought Bugs Bunny was REAL?!
No wonder you're disenchanted with imagination!
Interesting how you ignore what is actually written and just go with whatever you like instead.

sojourner

See, this is why I almost refuse to even debate with you Sojourner.
Because you know I'm right...
What the hell does a real experience have to do with an invisible God?
If you had any imagination, you'd know.
Also, why is it that you play ignorant to the differences between leprachauns and God when discussed in the manner that this topic is addressing, but you can clearly see the differences in both when comparing their fantastical elements?
I'm not playing ignorant to the differences. In some ways, they're alike. In many important ways, they're not.
That argument is nothing.
Shows what you know...

sojourner

as far as I can see there is no such thing as creation, science follows that opinion as well.
As far as you can see -- which is, of course, the only viable perspective available to the human race.
I was under the understanding tha unfaithful means they dont believe
Doesn't mean God's not there...

sojourner

Why does God presenting himself have to end in a blood sacrifice? Enough with all the drama, can we just have "fun" with God for once where he isn't demanding something to be burned, tortured, killed, sacrificed, flooded, enslaved, raped, etc? I mean good lord even the end times are filled with great agony. Apparently God is going to send angels and various creatures to rape us all before our "apparent" descent into hell (If you don't believe in hell, fine. The end times are still jacked up).

Why not just come down and eat a steak for once and oh I dunno, give us all magical flying powersl? Why is that so bad? Where is Gods sense of compassion, friendship and just.... does the guy have any sense of fun at all? Oh and bonus question... if he doesn't then where does our sense of fun come from =D. What does he gain by having us all tortured multiple times?
"We can't all, and some don't. That's just How It Is..."

sojourner

Oh and Sojourner, please do tell us exactly how it is that you can see God. I know your scared of the nasty atheists pointing out the logical fallacies, but honestly.... Were already pointing out your logical fallacies, why not contribute to the main idea behind the thread? That is why is God hiding... If you can see God, then please teach us all how. I want to see God too. Maybe you could describe his face so I am sure that I am looking at God. Does he have a body? Is he blonde or red haired? Does his face shine with bronze or is it just a blob? Little details like this can make what your saying a bit more substantial. Otherwise it isn't likely that you have actually seen God.
See, this is exactly why I won't be drawn into your little game of slaughter. You don't really want to know. You just want me to provide fodder for your entertainment. I read no sincerity in your question, and I won't stoop to play your pitiful game. The question was asked, we answered, and that answer (as usual) just wasn't good enough for the high-and-mighty-we're-superior-because-we-don't-believe-in-what-we-can't-see atheists. And you know what? That's your problem. God didn't put me here to solve it for you. That's your job, if you're really that interested in finding out.

BTW, while you're all so busy ganging up here: I notice that Koldo is no longer nearly so interested in labeling your diatribe as an ad hominem...
Perhaps his bias is showing???

sojourner

good point

it would have historicity

it may still be questioned but the ney sayers would be shot down.

Instead we have %100 historicity that man creates deitys and has since his existance
John came neither eating nor drinking, and they said, "he has a demon." The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they said, "look! A drunkard!"

Wouldn't make any difference. At all. some of you would doubt the credibility, or cast a shadow on the opinion, or be disappointed that "he didn't look right." Because you're all waaaaay more interested in naysaying than you really are in finding out the truth.

Blackdog22

See, this is exactly why I won't be drawn into your little game of slaughter. You don't really want to know. You just want me to provide fodder for your entertainment. I read no sincerity in your question, and I won't stoop to play your pitiful game. The question was asked, we answered, and that answer (as usual) just wasn't good enough for the high-and-mighty-we're-superior-because-we-don't-believe-in-what-we-can't-see atheists. And you know what? That's your problem. God didn't put me here to solve it for you. That's your job, if you're really that interested in finding out.

BTW, while you're all so busy ganging up here: I notice that Koldo is no longer nearly so interested in labeling your diatribe as an ad hominem...
Perhaps his bias is showing???

If that is what you want to believe then go with it, but your wrong. I actually want to compare what he looks like to other testimonies that I have. You simply don't want to explain what he looks like because you have nothing at all. Your intentionally misleading the audience. Honestly, I am just asking for a description... Why is that so hard?

Also, your "answer" that God isn't hiding, when he clearly is, was a non answer. It answered absolutely nothing and now that I am asking you, who apparently sees him, to explain yourself you go about running from the topic. Pretty standard though.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If that is what you want to believe then go with it, but your wrong. I actually want to compare what he looks like to other testimonies that I have. You simply don't want to explain what he looks like because you have nothing at all. Your intentionally misleading the audience. Honestly, I am just asking for a description... Why is that so hard?
Are you familiar with the description of "God" as ineffable, nameless, formless, void, etc?

outhouse

Atheistically
John came neither eating nor drinking, and they said, "he has a demon." The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they said, "look! A drunkard!"

Wouldn't make any difference. At all. some of you would doubt the credibility, or cast a shadow on the opinion, or be disappointed that "he didn't look right." Because you're all waaaaay more interested in naysaying than you really are in finding out the truth.

you have faith

we dont need it because we see history for what it is.

there is only so much truth that can be found and historical jesus was a mortal man