• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intelligent Design...........?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
haha you still have no clue. Alas there is no getting through to people like you. You are so closed minded that you cant see anyone else's views at all. I am just asking for a compromise, and let people make their own choices in life. Yet all you want is for everyone to view the world in only one view.
I've only been following this thread sporadically. What compromise do you propose?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
It doesn't matter, the idea that the earth is flat, is on the same footing as Id. Not to mention that the men who believed in the bible, also believed that the earth was flat, because they had no good reason to think otherwise. In fact the idea that the earth was not flat, was considered blasphemy.

It does matter. Because yes people in biblical ages did think the earth was flat at one time. The bible did not teach them that though. And if person A says that person B is blasphemous for thinking otherwise then it is person A's problem. You cannot hold everyone in Christianity liable for the twisted views of a few.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
haha you still have no clue. Alas there is no getting through to people like you. You are so closed minded that you cant see anyone else's views at all. I am just asking for a compromise, and let people make their own choices in life. Yet all you want is for everyone to view the world in only one view.

No you aren't. You are asking to have the government endorse your religious views.

You are right about one thing - I am closed minded when it comes to having other peoples children be indoctrinated into your religion. Especially if you want to use my tax dollars to do so.

You have been asked (repeatedly) on this thread why you aren't willing to teach your religious views in church (where it belongs). The only reason that you have provided is your utterly bogus claim that "some churches charge a tithe" which, supposedly, would prevent some children from hearing the message.

Stick to teaching your theology in your church, and quit trying to dupe the rest of society into fomenting your message of mythology.

Enoch07

Premium Member
I've only been following this thread sporadically. What compromise do you propose?

My idea of a compromise is simply. Teach both ID and Evolution in schools. Let them count as the same credit. The child can choose the one he wishes to learn more about or even take both classes. IMO it is unfair to force a child to learn only ID or Evolution if that child does not believe in it.

Tristesse

It does matter. Because yes people in biblical ages did think the earth was flat at one time. The bible did not teach them that though. And if person A says that person B is blasphemous for thinking otherwise then it is person A's problem. You cannot hold everyone in Christianity liable for the twisted views of a few.

I'm saying it doesn't matter, because Id is not supported by evidence and reason, where as the idea of the earth being flat is not supported by evidence and reason, and in fact evidence to the contrary. So, I was using an example to show you the contrast of what teaching Id would be like. And the Id people don't want to have both taught, they are actively fighting to get evolution out of public school. So, it's even worse.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
My idea of a compromise is simply. Teach both ID and Evolution in schools. Let them count as the same credit. The child can choose the one he wishes to learn more about or even take both classes. IMO it is unfair to force a child to learn only ID or Evolution if that child does not believe in it.

What exactly would the ID curriculum consist of?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
By "schools" do you mean science class? Sorry, can't support that one. ID's only place in science is as an example of what not to do.

Now, if you supported inclusion of religious education courses, I wouldn't be opposed to including ID in the Christianity section.

Tristesse

Id is taught, it's taught in church. I wouldn't dream of coming into a church and teaching science, because science has no place in church

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
IMO it is unfair to force a child to learn only ID or Evolution if that child does not believe in it.

Fortunately, children don't get to choose what they want, or don't want, to learn about. Education isn't about 'being fair' - it's about transferring useful knowledge and factual information to the next generation.

Beaudreaux

Why just ID? Why not the Pastafarian view of creation? Why not the Hindu version? Why are Christians the only ones who get to put their religious views in scicence classes?

Enoch07

Premium Member
This is like the second time I have had to do this. Did you not get to choose your classes in school? I did. Long as I had the required credits to graduate it did not matter if I took honors algebra or regular algebra. So I say lets do the same with ID/Evolution.

Trist you do not pay tax dollars to a church or even attend a church? If so then you have no say in what they teach. I pay tax dollars to the school system which means I do have a say. That is the difference.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Why just ID? Why not the Pastafarian view of creation? Why not the Hindu version? Why are Christians the only ones who get to put their religious views in scicence classes?

Answered that question already for you last night scroll back a page or two for it.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
This is like the second time I have had to do this. Did you not get to choose your classes in school? I did. Long as I had the required credits to graduate it did not matter if I took honors algebra or regular algebra. So I say lets do the same with ID/Evolution.

Trist you do not pay tax dollars to a church or even attend a church? If so then you have no say in what they teach. I pay tax dollars to the school system which means I do have a say. That is the difference.

Students get to choose classes, but not the curriculum. This is what is fortunate. It's up to informed, educated people to decide what is a rational and relevant curriculum.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Only within limits. Science was mandatory, and evolution is science.

That's just stupid. We pay taxes for schools because a well-educated populace is in our best interests, it doesn't give us the right to use it as a recruiting tool for special interests. And before you ask, yes, I oppose the military and boyscouts doing that, too.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Only within limits. Science was mandatory, and evolution is science.

That's just stupid. We pay taxes for schools because a well-educated populace is in our best interests, it doesn't give us the right to use it as a recruiting tool for special interests. And before you ask, yes, I oppose the military and boyscouts doing that, too.

Are you not doing the same by allowing only Evolutionism to be taught?

Tristesse

You do have a choice, if thats all your referring to. They have comparative religion courses in school. But what Id specifically wants, is it taught in science classes, which they can't do, because it's not science. When we're talking about science, id doesn't measure up. It's the same reason why we don't give time to people who believe the earth is flat.