• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intelligent Design...........?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
That is a matter of your point of view. You only want people to see the world through your one point of view. Evolution. If you are so confident of your science then why are you so unwilling to give people another choice other than Evolution?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Are you not doing the same by allowing only Evolutionism to be taught?

Nope. Science is not a special interest.
Now, if they taught my theological view of evolution as the engine of God's growth (which could fairly be called Evolutionism, unlike the strict scientific view), that would be the same as teaching ID in science.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
That is a matter of your point of view. You only want people to see the world through your one point of view. Evolution. If you are so confident of your science then why are you so unwilling to give people another choice other than Evolution?
I'm not. I'm unwilling to teach theology - my own included - as science.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

For the same reason I don't want astrology taught instead of astronomy, alchemy taught instead of chemistry, and numerology taught instead of mathematics. It's not about a choice between two options - it's about one choice being useful, relevant knowledge, and the other choice being superstitious ignorance.

Tristesse

Because evolution isn't a matter of choice, it's a matter of fact. It's not a case of what makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, it's a case of determining what's actually true. And when we investigate Id, it doesn't hold up, it barely qualifies as a hypothesis.

Enoch07

Premium Member
I'm not. I'm unwilling to teach theology - my own included - as science.
Not asking that they teach it as science. Just let the credits count the same for diplomas. Most people will never need to know how cells divide in everyday life. Most people live and work in the everyday world where science has little to no meaning. Ofcourse science is useful. There is no denying that. But only the brightest of children know they want to be a doctor at age 15. So they will almost always chose to take biology etc and prolly skip over ID. But for the other 99% of the people in the world that knowledge is just not very useful. Why not give them the option to learn something they can use, if only in their personal lives?

Beaudreaux

Here is the difference, Enoch. Evolution is not a point of view. It is a theory verified over and over through experimentation and physical evidence. It is no more a point of view than gravity, osmosis, quanta or leverage.

Intelligent Design, however IS a point of view. it is not science since it cannot be tested and there is no way to collect evidence for it. It is a way of seeing the world that comes from religion.

And your argument that kids don't have a choice is specious. High school age kids can learn whatever worldview they want to learn. There are numerous completely free churches that would be happy to teach them all about ID, probably while feeding them a pot luck lunch.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Because evolution isn't a matter of choice, it's a matter of fact. It's not a case of what makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, it's a case of determining what's actually true. And when we investigate Id, it doesn't hold up, it barely qualifies as a hypothesis.

That again is your opinion. To some Evolution is a joke and ID makes perfect sense. You cannot prove or disprove either way 100%. Only way to be fair is to teach both. Let the children/family decide for themselves.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Not asking that they teach it as science. Just let the credits count the same for diplomas. Most people will never need to know how cells divide in everyday life. Most people live and work in the everyday world where science has little to no meaning. Ofcourse science is useful. There is no denying that. But only the brightest of children know they want to be a doctor at age 15. So they will almost always chose to take biology etc and prolly skip over ID. But for the other 99% of the people in the world that knowledge is just not very useful. Why not give them the option to learn something they can use, if only in their personal lives?
I already said that I'd support the inclusion of ID in a religious studies course. I would, of course, also support teaching non-Literalist theories of Biblical interpretation. That's what ID is - a theory of Biblical interpreation. Not science. That's a fair compromise.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
That again is your opinion. To some Evolution is a joke and ID makes perfect sense. You cannot prove or disprove either way 100%. Only way to be fair is to teach both. Let the children/family decide for themselves.

Well, luckily, for all of us, you don't get to decide. The decision is left to those who know more, and have better judgement. Thank god.

Enoch07

Premium Member
How is that a stretch? Don't you believe the Bible?

I believe what I understand thus far about the bible, but that doesnt stop someone from trying to twist its words to meet their own purposes. I do not pretend to know every word and what exactly every word means. No man can do that.

Beaudreaux

Heck, why make them go to school at all? Why don't we do this: let's give kids High School credits for going to Sunday School instead of public school? Why not? Most of the kids in school aren't going to use the stuff they teach there anyway, and there are tons of Asian kids learning math and science so they learn all that useless cell division and evolution stuff for us.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Here is the difference, Enoch. Evolution is not a point of view. It is a theory verified over and over through experimentation and physical evidence. It is no more a point of view than gravity, osmosis, quanta or leverage.

Intelligent Design, however IS a point of view. it is not science since it cannot be tested and there is no way to collect evidence for it. It is a way of seeing the world that comes from religion.

And your argument that kids don't have a choice is specious. High school age kids can learn whatever worldview they want to learn. There are numerous completely free churches that would be happy to teach them all about ID, probably while feeding them a pot luck lunch.

The problem is that the "theory" of Evolution is always changing. The History channel has great documentaries on the beginning of the universe. Off the top of my head I can recall atleast 4 different theories on how scientist believe the universe was created. How can you say that is is repeatedly verified when scientist can not even agree on a single theory?

Beaudreaux

I believe what I understand thus far about the bible, but that doesnt stop someone from trying to twist its words to meet their own purposes. I do not pretend to know every word and what exactly every word means. No man can do that.
Twist words?? How am I doing that???? The Bible is crystal clear about cosmology. The earth has four corners. The sun moves around the earth. It's all in the Bible. Haven't you read it?

Beaudreaux

The problem is that the "theory" of Evolution is always changing. The History channel has great documentaries on the beginning of the universe. Off the top of my head I can recall atleast 4 different theories on how scientist believe the universe was created. How can you say that is is repeatedly verified when scientist can not even agree on a single theory?
You are confusing Evolution and Cosmology. Evolution has nothing whatsoever to do with how the universe began. Evolution explains the diversity of life on earth.

It appears you had that "don't learn about evolution" option in your school.....