• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Harry Potter Satanic?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
magic and witchcraft is his thing. I can't separate the two.

Its like trying to separate the alcohol from an alcoholic beer. The drink is both, beer and alcohol. You can't separate them.

"Magic and witchcraft" are used in Magic: The Gathering too. Would you take away MTG cards from your child if he or she had some of them on the grounds that the game is Satanic?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
except that Harry Potter glorifies magic and witchraft and gives the impression that 'good guys' can practice witchcraft just as well as the bad guys.

So its kind of setting the tone that witchcraft is not always bad....whereas in the bible, witchcraft is always bad because the power of witchcraft (whether you believe its true or not) is made possible by Satan and the demons.

But Christians perform magic all the time. Communion and prayer are two such examples. Christianity is founded upon witchcraft

Nymphs

magic and witchcraft is his thing. I can't separate the two.

Its like trying to separate the alcohol from an alcoholic beer. The drink is both, beer and alcohol. You can't separate them.

Also, check these definitions out:

Magic is an attempt to understand, experience and influence the world using rituals, symbols, actions, gestures and language

Witchcraft is the use of magical faculties, most commonly for religious, divinatory or medicinal purposes.This may take many forms depending on cultural context.

Both of these are different, and could be applied to the Christian religion as well as various other religions.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Also, check these definitions out:

Magic is an attempt to understand, experience and influence the world using rituals, symbols, actions, gestures and language

Witchcraft is the use of magical faculties, most commonly for religious, divinatory or medicinal purposes.This may take many forms depending on cultural context.

Both of these are different, and could be applied to the Christian religion as well as various other religions.

Before I could even get to it :D.

Moses turning his serpent into a snake is witchcraft because it i the usage of a divine being to alter a physical act. Splitting the red sea, Jesus walking on water and Samson's strength.

All of such things are categorized as witchcraft

CynthiaCypher

Have you read her books or are you just basing that off what you think?

I read the first two chapters of The Prison of Azkaban and that was enough to me to discern that these books are just pablum: trite, dull and infantile. It bored me to tears.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I read the first two chapters of The Prison of Azkaban and that was enough to me to discern that these books are just pablum: trite, dull and infantile. It bored me to tears.

How many children are reading Hemingway nowadays?

Dr. Suess must be anathema as well.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I use to think it was Satanic, and that it taught children real witchcraft, but then I realized how full of crap the people telling me that were/are.

Nymphs

First of all, you started on the third book, second, you only gave it two chapters? Very indicative of your choices instead of her writing. ;)

P.S. They are written for children.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
except that Harry Potter glorifies magic and witchraft and gives the impression that 'good guys' can practice witchcraft just as well as the bad guys.

So its kind of setting the tone that witchcraft is not always bad....whereas in the bible, witchcraft is always bad because the power of witchcraft (whether you believe its true or not) is made possible by Satan and the demons.

I think you need a reality check.... magic is not real, and never has been... and Harry Potter is a story.

The days of burning witches is over, Christianity was guilty of thousands of innocent deaths to comfort their own superstition and fears, by following a few irresponsible words in the Bible.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

Then it is perfectly clear you have not retained the perception and wonder of a child for magic and fairy land.
You probably do not like Science Fiction or Fantasy books either.
Some of us still retain the ability to "set aside belief" for long enough to enter those worlds, and enjoy such fiction especially when it is so well written.

Fantasy has been a vehicle for teaching morals since the dawn of time. A point followed by all religions, in the form of metaphor and parables.

Nymphs

Then it is perfectly clear you have not retained the perception and wonder of a child for magic and fairy land.
Some of us still retain the ability to "set aside belief" for long enough to enter those worlds, and enjoy such fiction especially when it is so well written.

Fantasy has been a vehicle for teaching morals since the dawn of time. A point followed by all religions, in the form of metaphor and parables.

You must spread some Frubals around before giving it to Terrywoodenpic again.

Thana

Lady
I think you need a reality check.... magic is not real, and never has been... and Harry Potter is a story.

The days of burning witches is over, Christianity was guilty of thousands of innocent deaths to comfort their own superstition and fears, by following a few irresponsible words in the Bible.

Err, I didn't realize there were Christians who didn't believe in that stuff.

Also, You kind of just dismissed numerous religions that practice magic, including your own.

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة

But your religion is heavily reliant upon magic. How can you dismiss it?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The story of Prester John By John Buchan sold millions of copies from 1910 though to the post WW2 years.
It is so politically incorrect by today's standards that even serious libraries take it off the public shelves.
But it was not a new story, it is based on the 12th century book about a mythical near magical Christian King in a fabled land in deepest Africa. The story was known all over Europe.

Buchans's book was written for the more adventurous minds of young boys of that time, to encourage them to take up the challenge of adventure in the colonies.
It is a fantastically good fast paced yarn, that sadly few people to day have read or are even likely to do so.
It was quite the Harry Potter of its day.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Err, I didn't realize there were Christians who didn't believe in that stuff.

Also, You kind of just dismissed numerous religions that practice magic, including your own.

But your religion is heavily reliant upon magic. How can you dismiss it?

I do not accept that Christianity accepts magical beliefs. ( though some Christians might)

I do accept that some religions profess to base themselves on magic, but I am of the opinion that such beliefs are misplaced. But it is their religions and their beliefs. I do not expect that my concerns are of any importance to them.

I do not base any of my opinions or beliefs about other religions on the question of the existence or not of Magic.

Nor do I accept the magical view of miracles or the like in Christianity. Though when they are related to us, they always have a strong ethical message accompanying them. I take them to be a form of parable.

Last edited: