• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any place for blasphemy laws in the twenty first century?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Can we go further and say it is wrong? That sharia law should not have the force of *government* behind it?
Since my knowledge is limited i would say sharia law is more of a guide for muslims to practice according to Allah. I know mundane politices is a part of muslim countries in their peactice, but i dont know yet how it affect muslims

firedragon

Veteran Member
Good point. I have an interesting thought on this.
For example in a war. Assume a group of soldiers have the power to capture the others, but they could also kill them (like giving them death penalty). You would capture them, I guess, and not kill them. At least in this moment, as you have not yet done enough research to know for sure what to do?

You misunderstood me mate. In order for me to say death penalty is right or wrong I need to do some extensive research and a lot of trajectory hermeneutics maybe to make a stand.

About your POW question, if they are prisoners, of course you cannot kill them no matter what you call them. Its just not reasonable.

Personally I do not have a huge issue with that, though I am all for non-violence. BUT if they tell me to execute the person then it does get close. Only then we know for sure if we agree with imposing the death penalty on a murderer. So, a good question would be "am I willing to execute...."

I didnt say "you must impose death penalty for murder". Read my sentence again. I'll cut and paste it. "Yet, death penalty should be imposed only for murder.". What I meant is that only murder may call for a death penalty. No other crime.

Peace.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
And, suppose that someone is Muslim and then decides to convert to, say, Christianity. Does sharia law still apply?
In my understanding it is free to convert to other religions, and if i have understood it correct sharia law would not follow the person over to a different religion

stvdv

Veteran Member
But you expect me to suffer the stupidity of religion !
Of course you meant "stupidity of Religion, in my humble opinion":D

I do agree, and IMHO imposing Blasphemy Rules on anyone is "Stupid"
Because the act itself is highly Blasphemous, which they don't see:D

I think also that @Amanaki agrees here, that there should not be a Law
forcing non-Muslims to follow what the Islam Teaches about Blasphemy

A Vestigial Mote

Why must someone speak bad about others belief?
I can not and will not support blasphemy of religions
It is all too easy to speak poorly of a thing that amounts to nothing more than belief. As an example: I don't see a lot of people going around saying how great it is that someone has an imaginary friend. I don't see a lot of support for conspiracy theorists who can't produce compelling evidence. These types of things are treated without respect because there are so many other well-established things that so obviously deserve actual/more respect - on top of the fact that it is just difficult to respect anything that doesn't present itself in our reality. People may respect the "Harry Potter" series of fiction books for their entertainment value - but you had better be sure they wouldn't respect someone who walked around speaking as if they were a close friend of Harry Potter and all his friends from the books in this reality.

There is also a great deal of religiously-based activity that people don't agree with (which sometimes involve killings, let's not forget) from some religion's most ardent adherents. And yes, I fully understand that there are people who manage to practice religion without killing people. To that I say "so what?" The fact remains that people have (and still do!) kill people for religious reasons. Religion is the vehicle they use for their justification. Even just that simple fact alone is enough to inform me that religion has something wrong with it. If it can warp a man's mind to the point that killing another is justified over what amounts to no more than a potential reality that cannot be verified, well, friend, I find that there is a problem with that line of thinking. And I always will.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Of course you meant "stupidity of Religion, in my humble opinion":D

I do agree, and IMHO imposing Blasphemy Rules on anyone is "Stupid"
Because the act itself is highly Blasphemous, which they don't see:D

I think also that @Amanaki agrees here, that there should not be a Law
forcing non-Muslims to follow what the Islam Teaches about Blasphemy
Islamic teaching is for muslims :) but i still can not see the value of Blasphemy

stvdv

Veteran Member
People that get offended just need to develop a thicker skin.
But of course you do not impose "to develop a thicker skin" on others:D
I don't want a thicker skin, yuck

If I can't handle some people their offences
I just avoid those people, not even think of them
Same with tigers, I don't expect them to change for me

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
But of course you do not impose "to develop a thicker skin" on others:D
I don't want a thicker skin, yuck

If I can't handle some people their offences
I just avoid those people, not even think of them
Same with tigers, I don't expect them to change for me
You dont cuddle with tigers :confused: they are just huge cats :p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Islamic teaching is for muslims :) but i still can not see the value of Blasphemy
I suppose it depends upon what is included in "blasphemy".
If applied to non-Muslims....
Denying the existence of Allah?
Criticizing Islam?
Mocking Islam?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I suppose it depends upon what is included in "blasphemy".
If applied to non-Muslims....
Denying the existence of Allah?
Criticizing Islam?
Mocking Islam?
Feel free to denying existance of Allah, that is your view.
Critique of muslims can be ok if they do not follow islam, i dont think Critique of islam in it self is good.
Why mock islam?

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

But it doesn’t matter if you can’t see the value of blasphemy.

I don’t see the value of K-pop.
But I am not calling for it to be declared illegal.

And if I find death metal or gangsta rap offensive, I simply won’t listen to it.

The responsibility here is with the person feeling offended. It is their task to deal with that sense of offense - internally.

A person who is outraged about something someone said about their belief needs to learn that the world is full of all sorts of people.

Calling for the government to prevent anyone from offending you is ...childish.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

It depends whether ALL criticism of a religion is counted as blasphemy. Too often, pointing out that certain rules are outdated and wrong is seen as blasphemy. Too often, saying you don't believe is counted as blasphemy. Too often, saying that a certain moral position is undesirable is counted as blasphemy. Too often, pointing out that history doesn't agree with a religious teaching is counted as blasphemy. Too often, simply saying that religious belief can be a problem in itself is counted as blasphemy.

So, if a Muslim tells a Christian that Jesus was not God, does that count as blasphemy? If a Christian tells a Muslim that Mohamed was not a true prophet, is that blasphemy? If a pagan tells a Muslim that the Koran isn't a very good book, it that blasphemy? What is a Muslim tells someone that the Bagavad-Gita is silly? Is that blasphemy?

If someone creates a drawing of Jesus performing a sex act, is that blasphemy? How about if it is a gay sex act and it is Mohamed? What if it involves Jesus, Mohammed, and the Buddha all together?

In my mind, ALL of these should be allowed with no fine, period.

There should be *absolutely* no blasphemy laws at all.

Blasphemy is victimless and should not be a crime.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Thanks

Exactly. I know, you know, I also knew you know:)
But some thought you thought differently
I thought "lets take all doubts away":)
Hence I replied in this way
I believe all religions are there for humans to find the right one for them, unfortunatly i used manybyears to find the one that i find the best for me. I know i said that before too in other treads but honestly, i never felt this feeling i do now reading quran and study islam. I can not explain it. But i am not pushing for others to follow it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Feel free to denying existance of Allah, that is your view.
Critique of muslims can be ok if they do not follow islam, i dont think Critique of islam in it self is good.
Why mock islam?
First, I just want to identify what would constitute blasphemy
by a non-Muslim.
As for mockery, it's a widely used humor technique applied
to politicians, celebrities, religions, & even inanimate objects
(eg, the Edsel, that building that looks like a startled chicken).
article-2287782-186D1C3C000005DC-725_634x642.jpg

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member
but i still can not see the value of Blasphemy
Neither can I, generally speaking
Except my example "How to punish someone who Blasphemes":D
Then Blasphemy is used to show it's wrong to Blaspheme

To impose one's Religion on others is Blasphemy
Most people are not able to see that this is true
Though it's obvious when having empathy

Also important to realize, if you Blaspheme another
And the other starts returning to Blaspheme you
Then you can not blame him, could you?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It depends whether ALL criticism of a religion is counted as blasphemy. Too often, pointing out that certain rules are outdated and wrong is seen as blasphemy. Too often, saying you don't believe is counted as blasphemy. Too often, saying that a certain moral position is undesirable is counted as blasphemy. Too often, pointing out that history doesn't agree with a religious teaching is counted as blasphemy. Too often, simply saying that religious belief can be a problem in itself is counted as blasphemy.

So, if a Muslim tells a Christian that Jesus was not God, does that count as blasphemy? If a Christian tells a Muslim that Mohamed was not a true prophet, is that blasphemy? If a pagan tells a Muslim that the Koran isn't a very good book, it that blasphemy? What is a Muslim tells someone that the Bagavad-Gita is silly? Is that blasphemy?

If someone creates a drawing of Jesus performing a sex act, is that blasphemy? How about if it is a gay sex act and it is Mohamed? What if it involves Jesus, Mohammed, and the Buddha all together?

In my mind, ALL of these should be allowed with no fine, period.

There should be *absolutely* no blasphemy laws at all.

Blasphemy is victimless and should not be a crime.
You have a good point. I believe that if we say, according to the teaching ( choose religion to put in" it say this. It means it is not a critique of any religioues teaching. It only explain what the teaching we our self say.

Yes Islam teach Jesus was a prophet, but i can not say Christianity tell a Lie when they say Jesus is Gods son, that is their belief.

stvdv

Veteran Member
unfortunatly i used manybyears to find the one that i find the best for me.
Why even say "unfortunately". Even the Koran makes it clear that such a phrase would indicate you don't trust Allah, He made you err:D:D:D
Koran: 4:88
Why are you divided into two different
parties concerning the hypocrites, when God Himself has turned
them to disbelief because of their misdeeds. Do you want to
guide those whom God has caused to go astray? You cannot find
guidance for those whom God has made to err.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why even say "unfortunately". Even the Koran makes it clear that such a phrase would indicate you don't trust Allah, He made you err:D:D:D
Koran: 4:88
Why are you divided into two different
parties concerning the hypocrites, when God Himself has turned
them to disbelief because of their misdeeds. Do you want to
guide those whom God has caused to go astray? You cannot find
guidance for those whom God has made to err.
:) i used unfortunatly because i wish i had realized the truth of islam last time i was reading it at age 16-17 years old.