• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there Really only one True Religion?

I think that there is only one true Religion and that is Christianity. The proof; if you take any religious leader or revolutionary out of any of the other religions you can still get the same teachings but if you take Christ out of Christianity you end up with nothing. The whole reason Christianity is real is because Christ rose from the dead unlike all the other leaders.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I think that there is only one true Religion and that is Christianity. The proof; if you take any religious leader or revolutionary out of any of the other religions you can still get the same teachings but if you take Christ out of Christianity you end up with nothing. The whole reason Christianity is real is because Christ rose from the dead unlike all the other leaders.
Christ rose from the dead?
Do you have anything outside of his infomercial to support this belief?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Grandfather Coyote rises from the dead quite often...
Rising from the dead is not an uncommon theme in religions.

wa:do

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Christianity isn't much different from other religions from what I can see, except that they think they have an exclusive monopoly on the truth, but I kind of question that after seeing their history and what they've done to people who oppossed Christianity. What kind of exclusive truth is that? Not one I'd want, and now they're trying to make my country Christian and force their morals down my throat.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
The reason the Kemetic religion died the first time is because of Christians. Christians killed the Egyptians that wouldn't convert and raped their culture and land. We're not allowing it a second time. This time the Egyptian religion is here to stay

Wannabe Yogi

First from my point of view Christ was a true teacher. I have the highest respect for him.

My sect of Hinduism tends to look down on using miracles as proof. Hindu's also have miracles yogis raising from the dead. ect. ect ect. I have even read claims of british solders(non-Hindus) who has testified to these claims of a Yogi who raised from the dead. On this forum there was a thread about some Yogi who never eats. This was studied by doctors under controlled conditions. So Christianity is not the only religion that makes this type of claim.

I can't see any good chasing after such claims. We call this miracle mongering, I have never seen this mind set produce anything of moral value. It's only by opening your heart in love and shining the light of truth to remove all our vices (Bigotry, greed, hate ect) that real progress can be made in our walk with "God".

Last edited:

Etritonakin

Why would you assume that though? I believe my gods exist, but I don't assume my religion is the only entirely correct one. Wouldn't a deity know how people are and know that we'd end up coming up with many different religions, and instead of begrudging us that, wouldn't that deity work with us using whatever religion we accepted?

Excellent question!

1) God does not "begrudge us that". He is sorrowful because we suffer unnecessarily due to refusing to do as he says -though he is angry with those who don't care how they hurt others. His religion is correct because it makes all things right -and leads to eternal life.

2) God knows how we are. He is working with us. He knew we would make up many religions -and also knows none of them will "work".
The way he is working with us is to first tell us what to do in order to avoid misery and self-annihilation, then allow us to do otherwise if we choose to do so -until we learn that his way is indeed the only way... (all the while we ask how God could allow such suffering -most of which WE CAUSE by not obeying him.)...

Isa 45:6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.
Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Knowing God exists will not change people -even in the biblical record, those who dealt directly with God and saw miraculous things, etc... often rejected him -preferring their own way. Even Saul and David became kings of Israel because Israel rejected God and desired a king.

Knowing God is correct -and that any other way leads to death -is necessary.
We are about to learn that without God we will only destroy ourselves -then Christ will return, rule -and teach us his ways.

Mar 13:19 For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.
Mar 13:20 And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.

Mic 4:2 And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
Mic 4:3 And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

Last edited:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
1) God does not "begrudge us that". He is sorrowful because we suffer unnecessarily due to refusing to do as he says -though he is angry with those who don't care how they hurt others. His religion is correct because it makes all things right -and leads to eternal life.
But what of people who lived perfectly good and happy lives... with their own God given religions and keeping their own god given laws? Why would God wait so long and then send messengers to just one desert dwelling people? Why abandon everyone else around the world like that?

And if this messenger brings the one true message... why is there so much disagreement and even bloodshed over what that message was?

Etritonakin

But what of people who lived perfectly good and happy lives... with their own God given religions and keeping their own god given laws? Why would God wait so long and then send messengers to just one desert dwelling people? Why abandon everyone else around the world like that?

And if this messenger brings the one true message... why is there so much disagreement and even bloodshed over what that message was?

Those who have done good works -but were not "in Christ" during this lifetime (God is only calling a few now) -will be raised to the second resurrection -and may receive eternal life then ...If their works were truly good. Their religion will be proven false by staring at God and having him tell them that which is true and false. All religions are not God-given. Some are just made up by people. God has allowed us to believe what we will for now. Not all "laws" are God-given, either.
God has not abandoned anyone. God is simply not calling everyone all at once.
All will have an opportunity to make an informed decision to choose to live eternally under the necessary laws of God -or to refuse and choose death -which would happen anyway.

God cannot be blamed for our choices to do evil -even when we claim it is in his name. We tell him we want to do as we please, then blame him for the results.

God told Lucifer how to be happy and live forever. He refused, and turned a third of the angels against God. Adam and Eve, likewise. They were deceived. They refused God. The thoughts of man were on evil continually, so he brought the flood -but saved Noah and his family because they considered God. Eventually he chose to BEGIN with Israel to bring mankind closer to him. Israel refused time and time again. Israel was to be an example for others to follow, but most chose to not follow God. God knew this would happen -but we needed to live that history so we might never have excuse to doubt That we need something from God even to truly understand and obey him. Israel could have kept the physical laws they were given -even the commandments somewhat, but refused even that.
Then came the new covenant -"spiritual" Israel -which included Jews and Gentiles alike -everyone.
All of that time God has been waiting for us to learn that what he says to do is correct. He does not call all at once, spiritually, because all are not ready to answer at once. He is, quite literally, a parent waiting for his children to stop misbehaving. They don't understand at first -but finally do understand.

Think of this world as a child's room -in which they might destroy things in a tantrum, color all over the walls, accidentally spill stuff and break stuff -and when they learn not to do those things, God spruces the place up -throws on a new coat of paint -and, though it gave him much grief as it happened, remembers it all with joy because he is able to see what his children have become!

Last edited:

Hawkins

Christianity isn't much different from other religions from what I can see, except that they think they have an exclusive monopoly on the truth, but I kind of question that after seeing their history and what they've done to people who oppossed Christianity. What kind of exclusive truth is that? Not one I'd want, and now they're trying to make my country Christian and force their morals down my throat.

If you willing to pay attention, Christianity is totally different from other religions. To name a few,

Christianity is the only religon about Law, and with a practical solution.

Somehow it works like this. If you break the Law, you'll be sentenced, whether you understand Law or not, whether you read it or not, whether you ever study law itself or not. That's the case.

Similarly God's Law is embedded in your heart and soul. If you offended His Law, you'll be judged and put to jail. If you sinned you'll be driven out of His kingdom, the same as how Adam sinned and being driven out of Eden, and same as how Lucifer the archangel sinned and being driven out of heaven.

God is to save souls instead of bodies here on earth. Here on earth humans are basically not in His Kingdom. That's why the myseries. And everyone requires to pass the final judgment in order to return to God and His kingdom in heaven. And God foresaw that you won't stand a chance in the judgment. Jesus Christ is thus sent and a new covenant is in place which allows you to escape from the Judgment by Law.

If you refuse to take the new covenant, and when you are judged to be sinful, a permanent separation from God will be called. It is said that His sheep will take the new covenant. It is also said that those who aren't His sheep will continue to sin against His Law without repentance.

Moreover, it is said in the Book of Revelation that Satan (who is said to be an ex-archangel) is an accuser accussing people of sinning in order to keep them in jail with him. So good luck, either to find yourself a good lawyer or prepare yourself for the defense.

Revelation 12:10
Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: "Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ. For the accuser of our brothers, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down."

Alternatively, take the Second Covenant as a gift such that the final Judgment by Law can be avoided.

Christianity is the only religion about witnessing (that's why Jesus' deeds are not written by Jesus Himself)

Now assuming that you've met with God personally and are 100% sure about His existence, and how will you be able to show others that it is true that God exists?!?!?! You will find that there's not any efficient way for such a kind of truth to be conveyed among humans. Even when you are 100% sure about it, others will have to need faith either to accept or to reject what you said. To simply put, witnessing and testimony are already of the most efficient way for your truth to be conveyed. And coincidently this is what Christianity is, witnessing and testimonies.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
God has not abandoned anyone. God is simply not calling everyone all at once.
All will have an opportunity to make an informed decision to choose to live eternally under the necessary laws of God -or to refuse and choose death -which would happen anyway.
You will forgive me... but this seems like a jerk move to me.
Putting off so many of his children for so many thousands of years is abandonment... it doesn't matter if he intends on checking in on us when he's done. Especially he is threatening to torture us for eternity if we don't act happy to finally see him.

If I leave my son in a car with the windows up on a hot summer day, it doesn't matter if I'm just away for a few minutes or for a few hours... I'm still a neglectful parent.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
If you willing to pay attention, Christianity is totally different from other religions. To name a few,

Most of Christianities laws are cribbed from Jewish laws... so not exactly different.

Christianity is the only religion about witnessing (that's why Jesus' deeds are not written by Jesus Himself)
There are lots of religions that have books similar the Bible... Mohammad didn't write the Koran for example. There are also quite a few religions that don't have any holy books and are entirely about personal "witnessing" as opposed to second-hand "witnessing".

McBell

Admiral Obvious
If you willing to pay attention, Christianity is totally different from other religions.
No it isn't.
Unless of course it is your claim that because Christianity borrowed from so many different religions....

Fact is that nothing in the Bible is new except perhaps a few of the names.

Again, you just plain flat out wrong.
Islam comes to mind right quick.

You really need to stop parroting the false statements of others.

Etritonakin

Most of Christianities laws are cribbed from Jewish laws... so not exactly different.

There are lots of religions that have books similar the Bible... Mohammad didn't write the Koran for example. There are also quite a few religions that don't have any holy books and are entirely about personal "witnessing" as opposed to second-hand "witnessing".

Perhaps a technicality, but just so you know...

The Jewish "laws" are identical to the "Christian" laws -but this requires a bit of explanation. In the "law", there are laws, statues, and judgments.

The LAW is the ten commandments. All of the other things are UNDER that law. Some "Christians" do not believe the original sabbath need be kept, but this is not biblical. The ten commandments are exactly the same as they ever were -and the holy days given in the old testament were not voided by the new testament.

The rest of the old testament "law" (judgments) is mostly, essentially, what to do if people did not keep the ten commandments (plus some judgments concerning which foods to eat, etc.). Some of these judgments DID change in the new testament -by authority of Christ. The commandments and holy days did not (there is disagreement as to whether or not the judgments concerning food were changed in the new testament -but, regardless, prophecies state that animals will not be eaten -or even eat each other -after Christ returns).

Jews (by the "Jewish" religion) do not believe that Christ was the Messiah spoken of in the old testament -though some Jews (by blood -of the "house of Judah" or by other religions) do.
Some "Christians" do not believe the commandments are to be strictly adhered to -or that the holy days given in the bible -which they see as "Jewish" -should be kept.

In fact, there may be no end to the mixing and matching and making things up -but, strictly biblically, both the first and second coming of the Messiah (Christ) are spoken of in the old testament -and Christ, the apostles and early church -even gentiles -as recorded in NEW testament -did keep the commandments -including the original sabbath -and holy days given by God in the old testament (passover, days of unleavened bread, pentecost, day of trumpets, day of atonement, feast of tabernacles, and the last great day).

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Which edit of the Bible is the true one?
There are remnants of ancient Bibles with scriptural books not accepted by many today. How do you know you have the right copy?

Hawkins

You don't seem to get my point. It's not about the law itself but a solution to save those shall be dead in front of Law. Other relgions never provide such a solution. While no one can keep the "Law" defined by the originated dogma, only Christianity provides a solution such that those failed to comply the Law can still be saved (through Jesus Christ) as a gift of God's Grace.

Geez, since when I even remotely hinted that Christianity is the only religion which has a Bible or equivalent! It's not about whether there is a book like the Bible, it's about how the book is written!!!!!! Witnessing is emphasized in writing the Bible but not other books. Other books are mostly from a person claiming receiving divine visions from God then write them down but without witnessing emphasized.

Last edited:

Etritonakin

Which edit of the Bible is the true one?
There are remnants of ancient Bibles with scriptural books not accepted by many today. How do you know you have the right copy?

True -and there are also books directly referenced in the bible by name which are not included in the bible.

As for how to know if you have the right copy.... you might view it this way...

Either it is simply a book, or God ultimately decides which words are before which people at which time.

If it is fiction, it is perhaps the best work of fiction ever written -though collectively. It has sci-fi, monsters, romance, war, flying saucers, heroes, villains, heavy water, tanks, helicopters -and introduced concepts which boggle the mind even today... not to mention somehow flawlessly predicting future events.
Not bad for a bunch of ex-slaves, goat-herders, nomads, etc...!

If it is not fiction, God decides who reads what -and when (though he would certainly like it if we opt to read it).

Even with the commonly accepted books of the bible, however, there are many translations -and it is very beneficial to reference the oldest texts possible and the original-language definitions of the words translated.
And... even when all the words are understood properly, understanding thereof can be hidden from any by God, and revealed to any -especially those who are willing to study it in depth.

Isa 28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
Isa 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
Isa 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
Isa 28:12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
Isa 28:13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Pro 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

Luk 9:44 Let these sayings sink down into your ears: for the Son of man shall be delivered into the hands of men.
Luk 9:45 But they understood not this saying, and it was hid from them, that they perceived it not: and they feared to ask him of that saying.

Isa 44:18 They have not known nor understood: for he hath shut their eyes, that they cannot see; and their hearts, that they cannot understand.

It is also true that God does not need to use written words (though he does). He is able to write things on our hearts -directly into our minds -even instantaneously give us talents we did not possess.

Exo 31:2 See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah:
Exo 31:3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,
Exo 31:4 To devise cunning works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass, ......

Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

Dan 2:27 Daniel answered in the presence of the king, and said, The secret which the king hath demanded cannot the wise men, the astrologers, the magicians, the soothsayers, shew unto the king;
Dan 2:28 But there is a God in heaven that revealeth secrets, and maketh known to the king Nebuchadnezzar what shall be in the latter days. Thy dream, and the visions of thy head upon thy bed, are these;

Last edited:

Hawkins

No it isn't.
Unless of course it is your claim that because Christianity borrowed from so many different religions....

Fact is that nothing in the Bible is new except perhaps a few of the names.

It is by your faith that it is so. Right?!

Again, you just plain flat out wrong.
Islam comes to mind right quick.

Geez. You don't even seem to get my point while giving a bold assertion!

You really need to stop parroting the false statements of others.

You really need to first understand what others are trying to say, then to provide backup for your own claiming. While it is obvious that witnessing plays a crucial role in Christianity, where's the support for your claim about the same in other religions?!

Hawkins

Just to give you a more detailed study on the difference between Christianity and other religions.

1. Religion is about faith. Yet not all religions have the self-awareness to realise that they themselves are of faith. From my speculation, only Abrahamic religions have such a self-awareness. The main theme is "you are saved by faith" or "you need faith to be saved".

2. Ultimately, a 'true' religion is about how one's after life is, which is the only part where 'FAITH' is demanded the most. Because we don't know what life will be after death, we need faith either to believe life continues, or we need the same amount of faith to believe that life ceases to continue after death.

As a result, religion can hardly be eradicated from humanity as long as humans cannot deliever a satisfactory answer about "will life continue after death, does soul exist?" Religons will continue to exist because you need faith to answer this question. And to a certain extent, you have to answer this question within your life time, subconscously if not conscously. It is thus a faith question demanding a faith answer for everyone to go through.

3. Now how practical religion is to address the question like "will life continue, or does soul exist?". To put it another way, how practical religions are in offering the saving of souls, that is, how practical the salvation theology is.

Amongst all religions, only Christianity offers the solution of Sin Atonement. All others are almost exclusively about the supressing of sin using strict rules which at least humans today can hardly abide by. They can't be practical enough to save human souls.

It seems that one sin atonement is practical enough to save a certain portion of human souls. As an illustration, how many humans before 30s of last century can get their hands on nudity? Very few. How about today? With the widespreading of the Internet, few can get away from nudity and exotics. Abrahamic God hates adultery so much that women in the middle east will have to wrap them up like mummies to avoid sin. So in today's world, how many can survive God's judgment if few of us can be fully away from nudity and exotics.

It only says that the only practical religion which fits the past and fits today and fits the future is Christianity.

4. Everyone can claim that he's inspired from God. What is needed at least theologically to distinguish the truth from the fake? It is witnessing! By the religion of the Jews, and it is emphasized in both OT and NT that false witnessing is a dead sin. Chritianity is developed by witnessing, at least so theologically speaking. Jesus Christ's deed is declared to be witnessed. Christianity spreaded so quickly because it is said that (theologicall at least) Jesus Christ's disciples are willing to die as a witnessing for His death, resurrection and ascension.

5. If it is said that the prophets can deliver messages from God, how will they know that those messages are truly from God the high power, instead of delusion and such? Again, theologically at least, prophecies and miracles are brain independent. And God may use them to confirm that the messages are from a higher power.

Acts 14:3
So Paul and Barnabas spent considerable time there, speaking boldly for the Lord, who confirmed the message of his grace by enabling them to do miraculous signs and wonders.

So God inspires men by putting messages into their brains, then performing message-related miracles of allowing prophecies to come true to confirm that the messages are from HIm.

To put it another way, God uses miracles and prophecies as testimony/witness for His own messages. Christianity is thus theologically sound, as it seems that the Bible contains tons of prophecies from the prophets and tons of miracles from those Jews who abide by the dogma that false witness is not allowed.

Proverbs 19:9 (OT)
A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who pours out lies will perish.

Revelation 21:8 (NT)
But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.

6. Humans are imperfect. Jesus makes a difference because His deity is known to His followers. God will choose a group of imperfect minds to craft the Bible such that His will will be done through the Holy Bible, by the hands of the imperfect humans. This is also a factor of witnessing. A group of prophets acting consistently saying the same thing as part of the witnessing of His truth is theologically sound instead of through a single person.

7. God knows the past and He knows the future. Has any God presented his case about a prophecy for his own religion and the book his inspired? Other than Christian God, it seems none. And God sent out His challenge for the false gods long time ago through His prophet Isaiah.

Isaiah 41:21-24
"Present your case," says the LORD. "Set forth your arguments," says Jacob's King.
"Bring in your idols to tell us what is going to happen. Tell us what the former things were, so that we may consider them and know their final outcome. Or declare to us the things to come,
tell us what the future holds, so we may know that you are gods. Do something, whether good or bad, so that we will be dismayed and filled with fear.
But you are less than nothing and your works are utterly worthless; he who chooses you is detestable.

Luke 21:33
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

So now the Holy Bible is the all time best selling book.

Acts 13:47
For this is what the Lord has commanded us: "I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth."

So now Christianity is the most widespreaded religion of the world with 1/3 humans as its followers.

No another book nor another religion can ever foresaw its own future like this.