• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there Really only one True Religion?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
As I said, the Baha'i have interesting beliefs, you will believe as you choose... I will go no further as this isn't the place for it.

We all agree we are walking to the same destination and that is the important part for the OP.

wa:do

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Actually, Falvlun, far as I can tell pretty much all non-theistic religions would answer "yes" do 1 and 2 and "no" to 3.

Of course, that would still not quite answer the OP's question.

Duck

Just thinking about it a bit...

If each religion has the same level of support, then this implies that we should assign all of them the same value for "likelihood of truth". If they conflict, then this implies that any value for "likelihood of truth" other than zero would create a logical paradox.

Therefore, I think it's reasonable to take the working position that all religions are false... although this would be a tentative position, subject to change if further evidence for one religion or another presented itself.

But, remember that when dealing with religion one is dealing with the 'supernatural' which may or may not be limited by logic.

So, if one does not confine the 'supernatural' to a binary logical construction (if true then not false) one could make the argument that all religions have a "likelihood of truth" set to 1 without any conflict.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Actually, Falvlun, far as I can tell pretty much all non-theistic religions would answer "yes" do 1 and 2 and "no" to 3.

Of course, that would still not quite answer the OP's question.

To be sure, I do believe people think they know the answers to those questions. How they answer the 3 questions is going to reveal how they will answer the OP.

And how they answer the questions is based upon how their religion or belief system answers the questions-- which is based upon faith or personal conviction. I don't think any of them, at the present anyway, can be answered with any certainty.

Wannabe Yogi

Is there really only one true religion?

We would have to know the answers to three questions before we'd be able to answer this with any real meaning:
1) Does God exist?
2) Does God want to be worshipped?
3) Is there only one way in which God wants to be worshipped?

or conversely, for the non-theistic based religions:

1) Does enlightenment/Nirvana exist?
2) Are there ways to reach enlightenment?
3) Is there only one correct way to reach enlightenment?

Only if the answer is "Yes" to all three questions would there be only one true religion. Since we really don't know what the answers are to any of those questions, then all the answers in this thread are basically personal convictions or feelings on the subject.

Since my faith is both Theist/Non-theist I will answer both sets of questions from my view point.

Theist
1) Yes
2) No but will except because it helps us.
3) Many ways

non-theistic
1) Yes
2) yes
3) No each person has their own way.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I agree with Wannabe Yogi except on Number Two under Theistic. I think the gods do want to be worshipped, but do I think they'll punish you if you don't? No

babaghanoush

NO!!!!
If you study all the major religions in the world, they all have a very common theme. I believe that they all have fed off each other from the very start. They are all stories trying to explain and answer the same basic questions humans have been asking since we gained consciousness (who are we? why are we here? what is our purpose? how did we get here?)

And yeah, I don't think any religion out there is right. I think it is all the same sh**, different day.

Etritonakin

Is there really only one true religion?

We would have to know the answers to three questions before we'd be able to answer this with any real meaning:
1) Does God exist?
2) Does God want to be worshipped?
3) Is there only one way in which God wants to be worshipped?

The answer to all three IS yes.
It is true that many do not know this to be true, but this does not mean it is not true.
What we perceive or believe has never changed the truth.

According to scripture, God purposefully hides or reveals himself to certain people at certain times to accomplish his purpose.

But..... what would make a religion "true"? God's existence is not enough -God himself must be "true" -otherwise we would have valid reason to reject him.

WHY would God want to be worshipped?
WHY would he want to be worshipped in a certain way?

"Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

WHY? If this is the basis of the one true religion, there must be a reason for it. Is God arrogant and power-hungry? Does he want to be number 1 for no good reason -or does all else depend on it? Is he number 1? What makes him number 1? What happens if everyone keeps this commandment? What happenes if everyone does not keep this commandment? Does this feed his vanity -or does he know we need to perceive him correctly?

More later......

McBell

Admiral Obvious
How can one approach to worshipping God be better then another? God is so beyond our understanding, that it's possible God is all gods at the same time. That's why I'm a Monist
So why are you not a Polytheist?
I mean, is it not just as equally possible that all the gods exist?

Danmac

I would say that all religions may possess an element or elements, while at the same time being built upon a foundation of sand. Therefore, the foundation is the key to any religion and not just the cosmetic beliefs.

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

As I said, the Baha'i have interesting beliefs; you will believe as you choose.

I hope you don't intend this to mean Baha'is are free to believe anything they choose!

I assure you we have definite beliefs laid down in our 200 volumes of Baha'i scripture such that it's clearly not an "anything goes" religion!

Peace, :)

Bruce

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Well I just don't think a person would be judged by what religion they profess anyway. That makes no sense to me

Muffled

Jesus in me
Jas 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before our God and Father is this, to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

A bit outdated perhaps because these days widows are apt to be wealthy and able to take care of themselves. However the general concept of helping those in need is still valid.

Refraining from sin is pretty much a basis for all religions but only Christianity provides a way to do it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Well I just don't think a person would be judged by what religion they profess anyway. That makes no sense to me

It makes sense to me. My graddaughter brings home an "A" from school it means that she has done very well in fulfilling the teachers requirements.

If people think they have a religion that allows them to sin, they deserve an "F".

McBell

Admiral Obvious
It makes sense to me. My graddaughter brings home an "A" from school it means that she has done very well in fulfilling the teachers requirements.

If people think they have a religion that allows them to sin, they deserve an "F".
[sarcasm]

yeppers,
THAT cleared it right up!
THANKS!!!

[/sarcasm]