• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam: Ask your questions

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I have a question for those who are well versed in the Quran. I want to know why, when God is speaking, it is always in the 'plural'

I know you guys believe God is 'one'... what is the explanation for the plurality of God

eg. "We sent them our word" "We told them our way"

fatima_bintu_islam

Im not well versed in Quran, but the use of the plural form in arabic for one persone for example is meant to glorify or give importance to the person.

You dont have it in english, but in french for example you cant speak to an older person than you with a singular form tu (you) , but you always have to say vous ( you in plural).

And its the same in arabic, you use it to show respect, to show the high statue of a person. And Allah glorifies Himself in Quran with this kind of pronouns.

And Allah knows best

TJ73

I have a question for those who are well versed in the Quran. I want to know why, when God is speaking, it is always in the 'plural'

I know you guys believe God is 'one'... what is the explanation for the plurality of God

eg. "We sent them our word" "We told them our way"

It is a translational issue. In Arabic and Hebrew as well they have what is known as Plural of respect, so it is not intended to imply numbers but to imply multitude in greatness. Just like in some Bible translation.

I remember some Alien theorists used to use this as a confirmation from the Bible that we were created by extra terrestrials

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Im not well versed in Quran, but the use of the plural form in arabic for one persone for example is meant to glorify or give importance to the person.

You dont have it in english, but in french for example you cant speak to an older person than you with a singular form tu (you) , but you always have to say vous ( you in plural).

And its the same in arabic, you use it to show respect, to show the high statue of a person. And Allah glorifies Himself in Quran with this kind of pronouns.

And Allah knows best

Ah yes thats the same in Hebrew and why El (god singular) is seen as Elohim (god plural) in many places in the bible.
ty.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
It is a translational issue. In Arabic and Hebrew as well they have what is known as Plural of respect, so it is not intended to imply numbers but to imply multitude in greatness. Just like in some Bible translation.

I remember some Alien theorists used to use this as a confirmation from the Bible that we were created by extra terrestrials

LOL oh right Aliens...of course lol

I had a feeling that it may be something similar to the reason why God is plural in the bible too...similar languages. cheers.

Onkara

Hello
What does it mean when Muslim ends their post in "Allah knows best"? Do you mean that everything will be the will of Allah and it is not for us to question it or that what is in the Quran should not be doubted, both or something different?

Thanks!

Sahar

In that context, I believe it means that Allah knows best about the subject on which I voiced my opinion, the truth about it and if I am in error. Something like that. It's like this is my humble knowledge on the subject and Allah knows best. LOL

Edit: Allah knows best is compatible with the Ayah that says "...We raise in degrees whom We will, but over every possessor of knowledge is one [more] knowing." Yusuf:76
There is one more knowing until this ends with Allah...the All-Knowing.

Last edited:

Civil Shephard

Thanks for starting this thread...

In a conversation as a teenager I had someone I thought was a well read Muslim I remember his saying the Muslims do not believe in the Virgin Birth of Christ. And yet today I was reading some in the IslamDIR thread "Jesus through a Muslim Lens" where it says Muslims do believe in the Virgin Birth. I'd love to know what the consensus is on that.

And...

I recently had a conversation where a Muslim believer said that Islam was more a way of life than a religion.

I suppose that it's just like the many faces and statements made by those of us who follow Jesus teachings... I look forward to learning more about Islam. Thanks in advance.

Sahar

Welcome to Islam Forum, Civil. :)
There is no disagreement whatsoever on the virgin miraculous birth of Jesus. Jesus was born without a father. This is mentioned clearly in the Qur'an. Moreover, when the Qur'an calls him, it says "Jesus, the son of Mary".

"And mention, [O Muúammad], in the Book [the story of] Mary, when she withdrew from her family to a place toward the east. And she took, in seclusion from them, a screen. Then We sent to her Our Angel, and he represented himself to her as a well-proportioned man.
She said, "Indeed, I seek refuge in the Most Merciful from you, [so leave me], if you should be fearing of Allāh."
He said, "I am only the messenger of your Lord to give you [news of] a pure boy."
She said, "How can I have a boy while no man has touched me and I have not been unchaste?"
He said, "Thus [it will be]; your Lord says, 'It is easy for Me, and We will make him a sign to the people and a mercy from Us. And it is a matter [already] decreed.' "
So she conceived him, and she withdrew with him to a remote place. And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm tree. She said, "Oh, I wish I had died before this and was in oblivion, forgotten."
But he called her from below her, "Do not grieve; your Lord has provided beneath you a stream. And shake toward you the trunk of the palm tree; it will drop upon you ripe, fresh dates. So eat and drink and be contented. And if you see from among humanity anyone, say, 'Indeed, I have vowed to the Most Merciful abstention, so I will not speak today to [any] man.' "

- Holy Qur'an, Maryam (Mary):16-26

I recently had a conversation where a Muslim believer said that Islam was more a way of life than a religion.
Yes, this is very true. Islam is the lens through which we view everything in this world and our behavior is based on this.

Last edited:

Civil Shephard

Again thank you Sahar!

One more question... from the "Jesus Through a Muslim Lens" thread

They confused the beautiful message he brought with the One who sent it. They saw his gift of being able to calm the winds and the seas, or his gift of curing the sick, as indicating that he was more than just a man.
The Quran is quite clear about that, Jesus was a great prophet, but he was no more than that. He did not die on the cross, nor was he raised to life after three days, but he was a man. One of the greatest men, yes. A man with very special gifts, yes. A man whom they revere as a great prophet, yes, but not a god. There is no God but Allah.

I suppose I'd like to know if Muhammad in the Qur'an speaks to this issue. It does seem to be a defining difference in our two faiths. However let me state that I've seen how the poor in spirit are blessed no matter the details of who, what when and where. I'm not a bible believer but a believer in one Creator. But it would be quite a leap for me to not believe the Apostle Johns Gospel.

Anywho... I suppose I"m asking that if the above is correct that John Chapter 1's description of Jesus being the word of God in the flesh is denied in the Qu'ran?

A-ManESL

Yes, Muslims believe that Jesus(on whom may be peace) was a man just like any other. He was chosen to be the Messenger of God. He was not crucified, rather ascended to heaven.

“O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His messengers. Say not "Trinity" : desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is one Allah: Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs. ”-Quran 4:117

“Then because of their breaking of their covenant, and their disbelieving in the revelations of Allah, and their slaying of the prophets wrongfully, and their saying: Our hearts are hardened — Nay, but Allah set a seal upon them for their disbelief, so that they believe not save a few —
And because of their disbelief and of their speaking against Mary a tremendous calumny;
And because of their saying: We slew the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, Allah's messenger — they slew him not nor crucified him, but it appeared so unto them; and lo! those who disagree concerning it are in doubt thereof; they have no knowledge thereof save pursuit of a conjecture; they slew him not for certain.
But Allah took him up unto Himself. Allah was ever Mighty, Wise.
There is not one of the People of the Scripture but will believe in him before his death, and on the Day of Resurrection he will be a witness against them.”-Quran 155:159

Islamic tradition also holds that Jesus(pbuh) will return one day to defeat the antichrist, near the day of judgement.

Jesus is the messenger of God mentioned most times in the Quran, (even more then Muhammad(pbuh) himself).

Muhammad (pbuh) said regarding Jesus(pbuh), "I am the closest of all people to Jesus, son of Mary, in this world and the Hereafter; for all prophets are brothers, with different mothers but one religion."

The Quran appeals directly to the natural understanding of man by saying that God is far too exalted to have a child and such mundane ideas do not apply to God.

Regards

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I am asking this question to muslims who claim that the Quran has never been changed and is exactly the same as it was revealed to Mohammad. Why do you believe that to be the case?

What evidence do you have which proves the Quran has never been changed?

And when the Quran was compiled by Mohammeds followers, do you know if they edited or changed anything the were told to write? And did they all write parts of the Quran or did they write their own entire Quran?

Last edited:

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
A question, please:
What do you personally think exactly when you think of Allah?

Allah is my God, my Lord, my beloved, my permanent companion, my creator and the source of my being and without Whom I wouldn't have existed. Allah is my sustainer, my provider, my healer, my preserver, my guide and what not. Allah in the mind of the Muslim and in his thoughts the whole day, for his life is solely for Allah. A Muslim's life should be thouroughly for Allah. His whole life and affairs are done with the intention to please Allah, for a Muslim's life is a kind of worship in everything he does.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
I am asking this question to muslims who claim that the Quran has never been changed and is exactly the same as it was revealed to Mohammad. Why do you believe that to be the case?

What evidence do you have which proves the Quran has never been changed?

And when the Quran was compiled by Mohammeds followers, do you know if they edited or changed anything the were told to write? And did they all write parts of the Quran or did they write their own entire Quran?

Hi Pegg,

You can buy a copy of the Quran, of course in Arabic, from Japan and another one from the US. and another one from Morocco and another one from Saudi Arabia and you can bring a copy from any country in the world and you will find the same copy with no word changed.

I believe this will respond your question:
Has the Qur'an Changed? - Islamic Creed - counsels - OnIslam.net

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Hi Pegg,

You can buy a copy of the Quran, of course in Arabic, from Japan and another one from the US. and another one from Morocco and another one from Saudi Arabia and you can bring a copy from any country in the world and you will find the same copy with no word changed.

I believe this will respond your question:
Has the Qur'an Changed? - Islamic Creed - counsels - OnIslam.net

So then the Quran has been translated into many different languages just like the bible.

Who are the translators of the Quran? Is there only one authorized group who translate it into the various languages? Or do different Muslim Scholars translate the Quran themselves??

Bismillah

Submit
I don't think you understand, what Peace was stating was that you can buy the Qur'an from those places and will find that they are completely consistent. Not that there were translations such as one in English, Japanese etc. etc. The translation is regarded as that a translation of the Qur'an not THE Qur'an.

P.S Peace your link is broken.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I don't think you understand, what Peace was stating was that you can buy the Qur'an from those places and will find that they are completely consistent. Not that there were translations such as one in English, Japanese etc. etc. The translation is regarded as that a translation of the Qur'an not THE Qur'an.

P.S Peace your link is broken.

Yes i did understand her. She said the Quran has been translated into other languages.

So I want to know if there is only one translator of the Quran who makes those translations?