• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam: Ask your questions

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Hello Peace.
For some reason I was convinced that Muslims said the shahadah whilst praying. :eek: Thanks for correcting me :)

Hello Onkara. The prayer is a combination of Quran recitation, praising Allah and making supplications. If you have never seen a Muslim praying, I would recommend watching a prayer on youtube in order to know what it is. :)

Onkara

Hello Onkara. The prayer is a combination of Quran recitation, praising Allah and making supplications. If you have never seen a Muslim praying, I would recommend watching a prayer on youtube in order to know what it is. :)

That was a good idea, Peace :)
I have just watched the following and found it helpful. (As I am sure you know) it also explains that it is good to lead others to the truth (Islam/Allah). What struck me is that the man also asks Allah for forgiveness. I assume he is asking for forgiveness for any offending actions (known or not) since the last time he prayed?

[youtube]kScrL8m1qMs[/youtube]
How to Pray in Islam - How to Make Salaat - YouTube

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
That was a good idea, Peace :)
I have just watched the following and found it helpful. (As I am sure you know) it also explains that it is good to lead others to the truth (Islam/Allah). What struck me is that the man also asks Allah for forgiveness. I assume he is asking for forgiveness for any offending actions (known or not) since the last time he prayed?

[youtube]kScrL8m1qMs[/youtube]
How to Pray in Islam - How to Make Salaat - YouTube

I didn't see your post when I posted my last post :D It's good to watch both, one praying individually and an other video for a congragation prayer behind the imam in Makkah.
:)
A Muslim is always asking for fogviness for all the sins we have been doing. Even while doing dhikr (remembrance of Allah), we do ask for forgivenss. It's very normal :)

A-ManESL

All spiritual journeys start by repentance because the soul has its face turned towards the exterior world, which is temporal. The goal of all religions is to turn the face of the soul towards the Everlasting Reality. Repentance means realizing this (to whatever degree is appropriate according to the person's spiritual status) and repenting of the previous state. The Arabic word "tawbah" (which is used when asking for forgiveness) literally means turning around. We have to turn our face from the external world, characterized by duplicity and fake reality, towards Unity and the Divine Reality. Many people repent and then go back to their old ways. Then they repent again and this pattern keeps going. God (says the Quran) is Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful.

The Sufi saint Rumi said
"Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, worshipper, lover of leaving — it doesn't matter,
Ours is not a caravan of despair.
Come, even if you have broken your vow a hundred times,
Come, come again, come."

Regards

Onkara

That is interesting A-ManESL
What then is the state that man should achieve through repentance (based on your explanation)?

A-ManESL

That is interesting A-ManESL
What then is the state that man should achieve through repentance (based on your explanation)?

A man is composed of both his ego(nafs) and the spirit(rooh). The ego is a false perception of our self which gives us a sense of reality in this world. The spirit is something of the divine light inside us.

Ordinary folks, like us, only give lip-service to our spirit and within the trappings of the external world live inside the world generated by the whims of our ego. (Most of the time based on past experiences of being given relevance or not, the ego tells us what is beneficial for us or not, and we blindly follow its advice.) Although we see things because of the light of God but the source of the light being veiled, we do not percieve it and begin to imagine that things have their own existence, independent of God. These are but tricks of the ego so that we may keep giving it importance.

One's ego inclines one to propound evil except those who are graced with Allah's mercy, and Providence their guide; Allah, my Creator, is indeed Ghafurun (Forgiving) and Rahimun (Merciful)."-Quran 12:53

The saints and messengers of God, on the other hand live in the world of the spirit. Their hearts are aglow with the light of God and they see things illuminated through this light directly. The Prophet Muhammad on whom may be peace said, "The (true) believer sees with the Light of God." When someone sees with God’s Light, they see all things, the first and last, the visible and invisible, for how can anything be hidden from God’s Light? This, indeed, is the state of a man who repents and with the grace of God is at peace with himself. (The Quran addresses such a person in 89:27 as the untroubled soul or the soul at peace.)

Regards

Last edited:

Onkara

Thanks a lot A-ManESL for a detailed response.

The topic of evil is one I am considering more than usual at present and why man is/commits evil.

I have another question, please. What does a converted Muslim do in regards to their family e.g. husband/wife/children, if they are not Muslim or refuse to follow a muslim lifestyle after that person converts? Do they just live as separate faiths under the same roof? I suppose I am asking for the Muslim answer to that :)

A-ManESL

You may find an answer here. I actually know of a couple in which case the husband is a Muslim and the wife an Hindu. They live together, and have a child who has a Muslim name. There are many other cases in India of this sort.

I have a question!

Is Sufism considered to be part of Islam, or against Islam? Some people who take to Sufism believe that it is independent of Islam, even though many adherents of traditional Sufism such as Rumi were staunch Muslims.

Can a person practice Sufi methods of worshipping Allah, without being a Muslim?

Alulu

Nowadays sufism can very much be compared to kabbala. Kabbala is to my knowledge a part of Judaism in its more spiritual/mystical sense. And has been practiced by Jews for ages now. Sufism has always been accepted as part of Sunni Islam and is about getting closer to God as His servant, deepening our servitude to Him and increasing the spiritual fruits of it. Whereas other sciences of Islam are about the outer parts of Islam such as legalistic or theological questions/deepening.
Jalalluddin Rumi had studied Islamic law/jurisprudence, adhered to it but sought a deeper personal meaning. That's when he met his (spiritual) master Shams and traveled his journey to a deeper understanding of Islam and getting closer to God. That inner path is called sufism. And he left a beautiful book of poetry full of wisdom: The Mathnawi. To achieve this state there are practices of course, packed in a certain "philosophy" and focused on ourselves, character, spiritual diseases of our heart in order to come closer to God.

But nowadays sufism, as well as kabbala in Judaism, developed outside the realm of Islam as well. Just as Kabbala is also existent as a universal theory outside Judaism and teached as such. This does not mean sufism within an Islamic framework does not exist anymore. It has been alive and still is very much alive actually. Countries such as Pakistan/India, Sudan, Morocco, Turkey, Chechnya, Indonesie, Jemen and Senegal have an Islamic culture that is strongly influenced by sufi's and sufism. One who knows can see their traces everywhere, in practices, at graves, poetry,important historical figures etc etc.
It just means that nowadays two kinds of "sufisms" are practiced: the old, traditional, sufism as a part of Islam and within Islamic creed. And a universal-orientalistic one not limited to Islamic creed. An example of the universal sufis is the Treshhold society in North America. An example of traditional Muslim sufi's is the Naqshbandi-Haqani sufi circle in North America & Europe. Following Sheikh Nazim, living in North-Cyprus (Lefke).

Last edited:

A-ManESL

Those who really understand true Sufism, know that it is the inner part of Islam, just as the external Shariat is also part of Islam. In the Amman declaration, Muslim scholars all over the world agreed that Sufism as described by Imam Ghazali is very much part of Islam.

Without an inner dimension (call it Sufism if you will, or dont give it a name if you wish) a religious tradition simply degenerates into mere ritualism and formalism.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I don't feel like making a thread for this so I'll ask here for the opinion of some fellow Muslims on these forums.

If I want to revert, can I remain with my husband, even if he's not wanting to convert or half heartedly would (just to remain with me)? Some people tell me it's ok and in some other cases say it's not ok, that a period needs to be observed and then divorce if no conversion.

Now I'm looking into getting answers from every kind of Muslims and personally if I were to revert, I'd be quite moderate. But I want to know what people here think of it. Also if what my Muslimah friend said was true... That there's more interfaith marriage and some imams nowdays say it's ok for them to remain together as the wife is an example for her husband and perhaps he will revert someday along the way.

Thank you for your answers!

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't feel like making a thread for this so I'll ask here for the opinion of some fellow Muslims on these forums.

If I want to revert, can I remain with my husband, even if he's not wanting to convert or half heartedly would (just to remain with me)? Some people tell me it's ok and in some other cases say it's not ok, that a period needs to be observed and then divorce if no conversion.

Now I'm looking into getting answers from every kind of Muslims and personally if I were to revert, I'd be quite moderate. But I want to know what people here think of it. Also if what my Muslimah friend said was true... That there's more interfaith marriage and some imams nowdays say it's ok for them to remain together as the wife is an example for her husband and perhaps he will revert someday along the way.

Thank you for your answers!

This makes the most sense to me. I can't imagine that you'd have to divorce your husband, and who knows if he'll convert later in life.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
This makes the most sense to me. I can't imagine that you'd have to divorce your husband, and who knows if he'll convert later in life.

Yeah I know, it makes sense to me too but it still makes me anxious. It's just one more obstacle over other ones, you know?

Especially my grand-mother, who points her finger at Muslims and says loudly "terrorist". :facepalm: So embarrassing! If I were to become Muslim, she's probably freak out.

Yeah I know, it makes sense to me too but it still makes me anxious. It's just one more obstacle over other ones, you know?

Especially my grand-mother, who points her finger at Muslims and says loudly "terrorist". :facepalm: So embarrassing! If I were to become Muslim, she's probably freak out.

I think I found something similar to your situation:

"What is the ruling about remaining in a marriage when the wife has become a Muslim but her husband is still a kaafir? She has children with him and is afraid that they may go astray and be lost, and she hopes that her husband may be guided to Islam if she stays with him.

Praise be to Allaah.

As soon as a woman embraces Islam and her husband refuses to do likewise, the marriage is annulled and it is not permissible for her to live with him. But she should wait out the length of the ‘iddah period. If he embraces Islam, she may go back to him and the previous marriage contract is still counted as valid, but if he does not embrace Islam before the ‘iddah is over, then they are no longer married. If he subsequently embraces Islam and they want to get back together, a new marriage contract must be drawn up. It is not permissible to continue the marriage on the basis of being kind to him.

Majma’ al-Fiqh al-Islami (Islamic Fiqh Council), p. 43.

The children should follow the Muslim parent, so try your best to get custody of them. May Allaah help us and help you by His kindness and mercy.
"

Islam Question and Answer - She has embraced Islam but her husband is still a kaafir. What should she do?

'iddah: "... The woman’s ‘iddah is three menstrual periods if she menstruates, or three months if she is past menopause, or until delivery if she is pregnant. This is the view of al-Shaafa’i and Ahmad, and is the view of Maalik with regard to cases like that mentioned in the question, which is where the wife becomes Muslim before her husband. This is also indicated by many instances that are mentioned in the Sunnah.

For example: the wife of Safwaan ibn Umayyah became Muslim on the day of the Conquest of Makkah, then he became Muslim approximately one month after her, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not order them to separate or tell them to make a new marriage contract. She remained with him on the basis of their original marriage. Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The fame of this hadeeth is stronger than its isnaad.

But if the second partner became Muslim after the end of the ‘iddah, in this case there is a difference of scholarly opinion. The correct view is that if they agree to go back to one another on the basis of the original marriage contract and the woman has not married someone else, that is permissible and they do not need to do a new marriage contract. This is the view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah and his student Ibn al-Qayyim. It is also the view regarded as most correct by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on them all). They quoted as evidence the report narrated by Abu Dawood from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), according to whom the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) returned his daughter Zaynab to her husband Abu’l-Aas on the basis of their original marriage contract. Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1134; Abu Dawood, 2230; Ibn Maajah, 2019; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah.

He became Muslim two years after the revelation of the verses of al-Mumtahanah, in which it says that Muslim woman are forbidden to mushrik men. It seems that her ‘iddah would have ended within this period, but the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) still returned her to him on the basis of the original marriage contract.

The point is that they remained married on the basis of their original marriage contract and they did not need to do a new contract. And Allaah knows best.

See Zaad al-Ma’aad, 5/133-140; al-Mughni, 10/8-10; al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 10/288-291.
"

Islam Question and Answer - She became Muslim approximately two weeks before her husband; is their marriage invalid?

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
for my opinion the two hadiths talking about exagerate in laughing , in such situation not suppose to be laughing .
maybe your hurt the feeling of the others , maybe it's serieus case and some one laughing instead of working or helping ....etc

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think I found something similar to your situation:

"What is the ruling about remaining in a marriage when the wife has become a Muslim but her husband is still a kaafir? She has children with him and is afraid that they may go astray and be lost, and she hopes that her husband may be guided to Islam if she stays with him.

Praise be to Allaah.

As soon as a woman embraces Islam and her husband refuses to do likewise, the marriage is annulled and it is not permissible for her to live with him. But she should wait out the length of the ‘iddah period. If he embraces Islam, she may go back to him and the previous marriage contract is still counted as valid, but if he does not embrace Islam before the ‘iddah is over, then they are no longer married. If he subsequently embraces Islam and they want to get back together, a new marriage contract must be drawn up. It is not permissible to continue the marriage on the basis of being kind to him.

Majma’ al-Fiqh al-Islami (Islamic Fiqh Council), p. 43.

The children should follow the Muslim parent, so try your best to get custody of them. May Allaah help us and help you by His kindness and mercy.
"

Islam Question and Answer - She has embraced Islam but her husband is still a kaafir. What should she do?

'iddah: "... The woman’s ‘iddah is three menstrual periods if she menstruates, or three months if she is past menopause, or until delivery if she is pregnant. This is the view of al-Shaafa’i and Ahmad, and is the view of Maalik with regard to cases like that mentioned in the question, which is where the wife becomes Muslim before her husband. This is also indicated by many instances that are mentioned in the Sunnah.

For example: the wife of Safwaan ibn Umayyah became Muslim on the day of the Conquest of Makkah, then he became Muslim approximately one month after her, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not order them to separate or tell them to make a new marriage contract. She remained with him on the basis of their original marriage. Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The fame of this hadeeth is stronger than its isnaad.

But if the second partner became Muslim after the end of the ‘iddah, in this case there is a difference of scholarly opinion. The correct view is that if they agree to go back to one another on the basis of the original marriage contract and the woman has not married someone else, that is permissible and they do not need to do a new marriage contract. This is the view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah and his student Ibn al-Qayyim. It is also the view regarded as most correct by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on them all). They quoted as evidence the report narrated by Abu Dawood from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), according to whom the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) returned his daughter Zaynab to her husband Abu’l-Aas on the basis of their original marriage contract. Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1134; Abu Dawood, 2230; Ibn Maajah, 2019; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah.

He became Muslim two years after the revelation of the verses of al-Mumtahanah, in which it says that Muslim woman are forbidden to mushrik men. It seems that her ‘iddah would have ended within this period, but the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) still returned her to him on the basis of the original marriage contract.

The point is that they remained married on the basis of their original marriage contract and they did not need to do a new contract. And Allaah knows best.

See Zaad al-Ma’aad, 5/133-140; al-Mughni, 10/8-10; al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 10/288-291.
"

Islam Question and Answer - She became Muslim approximately two weeks before her husband; is their marriage invalid?

People of the Book (Ahl-Al-Khitab) are NOT Kaafirs. The situation is different an unique for People of the Book.