• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus is not God

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Like you, I see no other harmony.

When Jesus was called "Good Teacher" Jesus specifically pointed out to the ruler that only God is good.

We can have many teachers, but if only God is our good teacher, what does that tell us about Jesus?

"Good in the Supreme sense" ?

So who is our good teacher in a non-supreme sense, and where can we find more about these lesser "gradations of good" that were attached to Jesus.

Also, this brings up another problem. Not for Trinitarians of course, but for Unitarians.

The suggestion is that "Good" is on some sort of sliding scale. Eli G, another JW, gave a good example of this when he stated:

I'm not seeing where Jesus "is not good to the same degree that God, his Father, is good".

In fact, I see Jesus is exactly the same "good" because he reflects the Father perfectly:

So either Jesus is reflecting God's glory and making an EXACT representation of God's "very being", or he is not.

Our JW friends are pretty much on board saying Jesus does no such thing, and that Jesus' representation is a bit on the shaky or shady side.

So we either have a shaky Jesus, or we have apostles who speak in hyperbole when talking about Jesus, or perhaps what the JW's say is true and the fault is not Jesus, but God's, because Jesus is simply reflecting what God is generating.

Can one of our unitarian friends tell us which Jesus is really Jesus?

Is he the exact representation of God, who is good, or is he reflecting something else, that is perhaps less good?
Hello, Oeste. I'll just say what Jesus said, "So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me." ("what the Father has taught me")

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Bonus questions:

1. You suggest "good" has differing standards that are set by the Father. When God created everything and pronounced it "good", was it really "good" in the "supreme sense" of His standards, or was His creation a bit off? Perhaps it was "good" but only in a worldly sense?

2. If not good in a supreme or worldly sense, then in what other sense are we to judge the word "good"?

3. Could this teaching explain why both Adam, Eve, and some angels sinned? IOW, they were never really good in a Godly, supreme sense, but only good in a "worldly" (Adam and Eve) or "heavenly" (in the case of fallen angels) sense?
I am saying that Jesus learned what is good from his heavenly Father. (Adam did not do that, he relinquished that privilege.)
So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me." John 8:28.