• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus is not God

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
Very good scripture, I feel each scripture we read helps us get a little more insight, and when we don't take into account some scriptures, this may create a poor or a weak understanding.

I think all the words in the bible are inspired, and are in the Bible for a very good reason. :twohearts:

Last edited:

Oeste

Then a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, my Chosen One. Listen to him.” -Luke 9:35 New Living Translation

I believe we should let Jesus do all the talking: John 17:3, John 20:17, John 3:16 Jesus Words Alone!

Where does God say "Jesus Words Alone!"???

The voice from the cloud IS NOT JESUS TALKING! So, if its "Jesus Words Alone!" why on earth (or heaven) are you quoting anyone else?

Your red letter argument immediately contradicts itself. Please show us where Jesus claims we are to listen to his words alone.

Also, please explain why you say "Jesus Words Alone" and immediately quote someone whom we all know is not Jesus the next?

I and the Father are one, can be understood as perfect unity. If we listen to Jesus advice -John 17:23

Again, you contradict. You tell us only the FATHER is good. You deny Jesus the same. How can the Father be in " perfect unity" with someone who is NOT good?

Once Jesus is no good, then anyone in "perfect unity" with him is NO GOOD as well. A no good Jesus cannot cover our sins if he has sins of his own. He cannot clothe us in white linens if his own linen is dirty and unwashed. God is "Holy! Holy! Holy!" (Rev. 4:8) If Jesus is in "perfect unity" with our Holy Father then he will reflect ALL the goodness of the Father "perfectly", not "imperfectly". There is no "sliding scale".

Again, this red letter rational is not making any logical, consistent sense. Only God is good, @walt, and Jesus is good for the same reason. Once you diminish Jesus by declaring him anything less than good, you diminish God as well.

Oeste

I believe we should let Jesus do all the talking: John 17:3, John 20:17, John 3:16 Jesus Words Alone!
And another conversation in private with the disciples, This is what the disciples and Jesus have to say:

Matthew 16:13-17

Once again you contradict yourself. Did you read Matthew 16:13-17?

Let's take a look:

13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”​
14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”​
15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”

Here's a question for you @walt:

Is Jesus asking the disciples for his OWN words back at him, or is he asking the disciples to explain in their own personal words? Let's continue:

16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”​

Next question: Why is Peter answering in his own words when he should, according to your personal theology, simply parrot Jesus' words back at him? Remember, it's "Jesus Words Alone!", right? Let's continue:

17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven.​

Please read carefully and understand Jesus's response here @walt. Jesus does NOT admonish Peter for using his own words. In fact, he praises Peter because he realizes the work of revelation that has taken place in him.

So the idea of "Jesus Words Alone!" is simply not supported by scripture, and we have shown this using the scriptural support you gave us.

As such, I think the "red letter only" phase of our discussion can be closed. While "red letter only" is useful for study, we should not limit ourselves to ONLY the words of Jesus. That would be a "man made doctrine", wholly unsupported by scripture.

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33

Let's take a look:

13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”​
14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”​

Is Jesus asking the disciples for his OWN words back at him, or is he asking the disciples to explain in their own personal words? Let's continue:

Next question: Why is Peter answering in his own words when he should, according to your personal theology, simply parrot Jesus' words back at him? Remember, it's "Jesus Words Alone!", right? Let's continue:

17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven.​

Please read carefully and understand Jesus's response here @walt. Jesus does NOT admonish Peter for using his own words. In fact, he praises Peter because he realizes the work of revelation that has taken place in him.

So the idea of "Jesus Words Alone!" is simply not supported by scripture, and we have shown this using the scriptural support you gave us.

As such, I think the "red letter only" phase of our discussion can be closed. While "red letter only" is useful for study, we should not limit ourselves to ONLY the words of Jesus. That would be a "man made doctrine", wholly unsupported by scripture.
I am not really that good with debates. I am just trying to be a Christian, and I feel it starts with reading the words of Jesus and doing what he says.

I agree with you, my own personal words - please disregard them, Jesus words are the words I feel is important, not what I think personally.

Oeste

This is ridiculous reasoning imo.

I agree, but only if we buy into this "Jesus is not all that good" theology.

With this concept, then, since “nobody is good, except one”,

Well, just to be clear, I believe the Scripture reads "No one is good but God alone".

and this is Jesus, then his Father isn’t good. Just Jesus.

Not quite.

It makes the Father only as good as Jesus is since both the Father and Jesus are in "perfect unity".

So if Jesus is anything less than good, then the Father is less than good. And if the Father is good, it would make Jesus good as well. Neither the Father or Jesus can be unevenly yoked.

The problem are those who claim Jesus is less than good. That makes the Father, who is in "perfect unity", the same "less than good" as Jesus.

You can't have "perfect unity" any other way.

As the scripture reads: "A little leaven leavens the whole lump". (Gal 5:9)

To have a good Father, we need a good Jesus, and since only God is good, Jesus is God. That would be, as @walt put it, "perfect unity". However, if we have Christians here claiming that Jesus has "imperfect unity" with the Father, I'm all ears.

As @walt pointed out, Jesus & his Father (known as Yahweh) are two totally different people, whose oneness, as Jesus specifically stated, is in unity and purpose.

Is this "unity" perfect or imperfect? Again, you are not answering but dodging the question: How does a no good Jesus answer for our sins, and how does the Father, who is Holy, share "unity and purpose" with a less than perfect creature?

jimb

Premium Member
2 Corinthians 8:8
I speak not by commandment, but by occasion of the forwardness of others,
and to prove the sincerity of your love.
If you used a better translation than one that is over 400 years old, you probably will get better understanding of God's word. But maybe not.

2 Corinthians 8:8...

"I am not commanding you, but I want to test the sincerity of your love by comparing it with the earnestness of others." NIV
"I am not saying this as a command, but I am testing the genuineness of your love by comparison with the eagerness of others." NET
"I do not say this as a command, but I am, by mentioning the eagerness of others, testing the genuineness of your love." NRSVue

If you used a better translation than one that is over 400 years old, you probably will get better understanding of God's word. But maybe not.

2 Corinthians 8:8...

"I am not commanding you, but I want to test the sincerity of your love by comparing it with the earnestness of others." NIV
"I am not saying this as a command, but I am testing the genuineness of your love by comparison with the eagerness of others." NET
"I do not say this as a command, but I am, by mentioning the eagerness of others, testing the genuineness of your love." NRSVue
I do not need anything written by anyone nor any translation of anything,
to know what is true and what is not true.

I use the bible when dealing with them that refer to the bible.

When in Rome, speak Italian.

jimb

Premium Member

Let's take a look:

He also said this to Peter shortly after the above...

Matthew 16:21-23, "From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!”

Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

Apparently the revelation in Peter was complete!

jimb

Premium Member
I do not need anything written by anyone nor any translation of anything,
to know what is true and what is not true.

I use the bible when dealing with them that refer to the bible.

When in Rome, speak Italian.
Oh, now I see. You are the repository of all wisdom! :sweatsmile:

You "do not need anything written by anyone nor any translation of anything", yet you quote the Bible (capitalized) to try to prove your point! :sweatsmile:

You clearly do not know what is true and what is not true.

P.S. Your command of English is clearly suspect. "I use the bible when dealing with them that refer to the bible" is poorly written.