• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Life is going great, so I became religious."

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
is there anything else you claim believers in jesus can do that non beleivers can't...?
so far you haven't been able to prove that there is.

I just want it made clear that I believe there's NOTHING inherently superior in the makeup of a Christian verses people of any other belief system. I believe we're all equally nothing apart of the grace and power of God, even the Christian. That apart from his grace and power we are thoroughly incapable of living upright and moral lives. I would've thought an HONEST look into our hearts would provide all the proof we need.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
I just want it made clear that I believe there's NOTHING inherently superior in the makeup of a Christian verses people of any other belief system. I believe we're all equally nothing apart of the grace and power of God, even the Christian. That apart from his grace and power we are thoroughly of truly living upright and moral lives. I would've thought an HONEST look into our hearts would provide all the proof we need.

all that to say, no....

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
I believe we're all equally nothing apart of the grace and power of God, even the Christian. That apart from his grace and power we are thoroughly of truly living upright and moral lives. I would've thought an HONEST look into our hearts would provide all the proof we need.

God bless you!
Yes indeed .. it is "the heart" (seat of intention), which is the most important 'organ' of the body..
We are all sinners, and without God's grace, we would be lost

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Not about how life is going now but how the eternity of life after death will be spent.

Still the fear of hell.

Heaven for me didn't seem very interesting. Actually sounded kind of boring.

I mean what the hell are you going to do in heaven? Fly around playing harps and trumpets and day?

At least in Islam they offer 40 virgins. I suppose even that would get old. You lose your fear of Hell and Heaven holds no interest, what are you going to do. God's going to have to do better. Find some other means to entice people into believing.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Not about how life is going now but how the eternity of life after death will be spent.

since i was young, i was indoctrinated into believing in life after death as, either you go to heaven or you'll suffer eternal torment, and it wasn't an easy thing to overcome...and one day it hit me, after i became a parent, it would be a testament of my insecurity whenever i had to resort to ultimatums in order to control my child...so then, why would god be so insecure as the supposed creator of this universe?

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
..why would god be so insecure as the supposed creator of this universe?

Almighty God is not in need of His creatures..
Mankind is in need of reminding .. it's often necessary to make 'strong reminders' as otherwise they can get overlooked

..in fact, even with strong reminders, we overlook the dangers of sin
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on .. tell us .. how would YOU explain the dangers of sin if YOU were God? :shout

waitasec

Veteran Member
Almighty God is not in need of His creatures..

then why set up ann ultimatum?
Mankind is in need of reminding .. it's often necessary to make 'strong reminders' as otherwise they can get overlooked
seems like a very human like quality...
if a reminder consisted of something like the power of gravity, then i can see...but there isn't.

..in fact, even with strong reminders, we overlook the dangers of sin
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on .. tell us .. how would YOU explain the dangers of sin if YOU were God? :shout
sin is relative...

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Nope. I thought heaven sounded better than hell.
Fair enough. I know the OP didn't make it perfectly clear, but I was struck by the fact that while many people seem to claim crappy life circumstances as their impetus for finding religion, you nearly never hear of someone looking for religion because their life is going well.

Still the fear of hell.

Heaven for me didn't seem very interesting. Actually sounded kind of boring.

I mean what the hell are you going to do in heaven? Fly around playing harps and trumpets and day?

At least in Islam they offer 40 virgins. I suppose even that would get old. You lose your fear of Hell and Heaven holds no interest, what are you going to do. God's going to have to do better. Find some other means to entice people into believing.
I dunno. That just sounds like a lack of imagination on your part. I certainly can imagine a very enjoyable paradise which is both pleasant and stimulating.

Also, just out of curiosity, where do people get the idea that all you do in heaven is "fly around playing harps and trumpets all day." Truly curious. Is that what is says in the Bible, or is that just the common impression people get due to various artworks?

waitasec

Veteran Member
God doesn't "need" anybody. He wants our love. You're a parent right? Do you need your child's love? Or do you want it very much?

i don't make my child love me...with ultimatums

and as i said, when i'm feeling insecure of my authority over him, that's when i use the ultimatums

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
i don't make my child love me...with ultimatums

and as i said, when i'm feeling insecure of my authority over him, that's when i use the ultimatums

No but you do punish your child when they do something you feel is wrong. In this case you, in your infinate wisdom, disagree with God about what is actually evil. That's why your attitude is what it is. It's like you believe God, in his egotistical foolishness, is just randomly designating certain behaviors as evil because he likes ruining everyone's good time. In a culture that worships sex, the disagreements usually surround commands that govern sexual behavior. Perhaps if you saw sin through God's eyes you wouldn't have so much trouble questioning him about why certain things are evil.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
No but you do punish your child when they do something you feel is wrong. In this case you, in your infinate wisdom, disagree with God about what is actually evil. That's why your attitude is what it is. It's like you believe God, in his egotistical foolishness, is just randomly designating certain behaviors as evil because he likes ruining everyone's good time. In a culture that worships sex, the disagreements usually surround commands that govern sexual behavior. Perhaps if you saw sin through God's eyes you wouldn't have so much trouble questioning him about why certain things are evil.

Come on. Don't tell me that some of the commandments God has given over the years haven't been a bit arbitrary. I mean, Bacon is delicious.