• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misogynistic and Selfish, Edinburgh's Rape Crisis Centre's CEO is a trans-woman, i.e. a man !

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
You seem to be saying that trans people are unlikely to be able to do the job because this particular trans person is CEO. She might be terrible at the job (or great at it) but this doesn't say anything about the suitability of a trans person in general.

You expressed your gobsmackery that a trans person could be CEO in the first place. Why?
No, I'm gobsmacked that a trans woman - a biological male - would be in charge of a rape crisis center. Common sense would tell us that such a person would mostly likely be pushing an ideology, and the evidence is that he has been. For example, when a female victim asks for a female counselor they are often not only turned away, they are not told that their is another rape crisis center down the street that will honor their request.

If this is not ideologically driven, then what? It's clearly not prioritizing care fro victims :(

You called her a man. Not a trans woman.

If you insist that trans women are men then you are denying the reality of gender identities that don't match to your expectations.
Please explain what you mean when you say "gender identity"?

Secondly, if you took a woman to a rape crisis centre you would demand a woman counselled them. But for you this guy is a woman. Would you therefore demand that a different woman counselled your loved one or would you be fine with Alex?
I would demand that the victim - any victim - be comfortable and feel safe with their counselor.

icehorse

Premium Member
She is a woman, a trans woman if you must specify. Whether she is a biological male is not a matter that needs to be brought up here, and so it's bad form.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I say he is a trans woman, and you disagree.

Not really. You're using transphobic language. I'm just pointing that out.
why is it transphobic?

==

I will ask you the same question: please define what you mean when you say "gender identity"?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Common sense would tell us that such a person would mostly likely be pushing an ideology, and the evidence is that he has been.

You're here pushing your transphobic agenda, including right here in this quote. No reasonable person is going to take your accusations seriously.

Common sense tells us that there's no reason to assume a trans person would be pushing an ideology, and there is no evidence that this person has been.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
We'll have to agree to disagree. I say he is a trans woman, and you disagree.

No, this is not a disagreement. You're using transphobic language, and I'm pointing it out. Intentionally using the wrong pronoun is transphobic.
why is it transphobic?

Because you're misgendering them. This is pretty basic stuff.
==

I will ask you the same question: please define what you mean when you say "gender identity"?
A basic definition would be the one from Wiki: "the personal sense of one's own gender".

Yerda

Veteran Member
No, I'm gobsmacked that a trans woman - a biological male - would be in charge of a rape crisis center. Common sense would tell us that such a person would mostly likely be pushing an ideology, and the evidence is that he has been.
Common sense tells us not to judge whole categories of people by the actions of an individual. Common prejudice may though.

For example, when a female victim asks for a female counselor they are often not only turned away, they are not told that their is another rape crisis center down the street that will honor their request.
Can you share that evidence again because I've missed it.

If this is not ideologically driven, then what? It's clearly not prioritizing care fro victims :(
Have you any evidence that victims didn't receive proper care?

The internal sense of gender that a person has.

Here, from Britannica:

gender identity, an individual’s self-conception as a man or woman or as a boy or girl or as some combination of man/boy and woman/girl or as someone fluctuating between man/boy and woman/girl or as someone outside those categories altogether. It is distinguished from actual biological sex—i.e., male or female. For most persons, gender identity and biological sex correspond in the conventional way. Some individuals, however, experience little or no connection between sex and gender; among transgender persons, for example, biological sexual characteristics are distinct and unambiguous, but the affected person identifies with the gender conventionally associated with the opposite sex.

I would demand that the victim - any victim - be comfortable and feel safe with their counselor.
But earlier you said you would demand another counsellor if they were trans.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
No, I'm gobsmacked that a trans woman - a biological male - would be in charge of a rape crisis center. Common sense would tell us that such a person would mostly likely be pushing an ideology, and the evidence is that he has been.
The assumption you've made here sounds like bias on your part.

For example, when a female victim asks for a female counselor they are often not only turned away, they are not told that their is another rape crisis center down the street that will honor their request.

icehorse

Premium Member
Common sense tells us not to judge whole categories of people by the actions of an individual.
Good thing I'm not doing that :)

Can you share that evidence again because I've missed it.
I could, but I've learned that providing evidence on this topic is a waste of time :(

If you have any concern about the situation with the controversy-ridden rape crisis centre, you can find evidence easily.

gender identity, an individual’s self-conception as a man or woman or as a boy or girl or as some combination of man/boy and woman/girl or as someone fluctuating between man/boy and woman/girl or as someone outside those categories altogether. It is distinguished from actual biological sex—i.e., male or female. For most persons, gender identity and biological sex correspond in the conventional way. Some individuals, however, experience little or no connection between sex and gender; among transgender persons, for example, biological sexual characteristics are distinct and unambiguous, but the affected person identifies with the gender conventionally associated with the opposite sex.

This is word salad. One test is that I could choose to call ANYTHING I can think of a gender, and have it fit the definition you just provided.

For example, I could say that my self-conception as a man is that I ought to be the benevolent dictator of the world. Now, if you do not refer to me henceforth as "your high holiness" I will consider that you are rudely misgendering me.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
To be clear, your definition of gender identity is: "the personal sense of one's own gender".

Can you see that this is a circular definition?
It is not. If you mean because it uses the term "gender", that's not circular. You would just need to ask for a definition of that, if you're not sure what it is.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
This is word salad. One test is that I could choose to call ANYTHING I can think of a gender, and have it fit the definition you just provided.

For example, I could say that my self-conception as a man is that I ought to be the benevolent dictator of the world. Now, if you do not refer to me henceforth as "your high holiness" I will consider that you are rudely misgendering me.
No, that's just a typical transphobic response. We're talking about gender, not "status in the world" or profession or whatever. You can't choose to call anything a gender. Gender is a very specific thing. If you say you're self-conception is a man, then that is your gender. If people then intentionally refer to you as a woman, that's misgendering you. This doesn't apply to anything other than gender, which should be obvious by the fact that it's a GENDER identity.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

I could, but I've learned that providing evidence on this topic is a waste of time :(

If you have any concern about the situation with the controversy-ridden rape crisis centre, you can find evidence easily.

What does "your high holiness" have to do with gender?

icehorse

Premium Member
It is not. If you mean because it uses the term "gender", that's not circular. You would just need to ask for a definition of that, if you're not sure what it is.
yes please, give me a useful definition of "gender"...

Yerda

Veteran Member
No, I suppose not. Seems more like you started from the prejudice and worked from there.

I see.

I can't find anything about them turning women away.

You're playing games now.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Again, circular word salad. I can easily fit "your high holiness" into this definition, correct?
Again, no, it's not circular or word salad, and you could not fit "your high holiness" into it.

1) "Your high holiness" is term of address, not a gender.

2) Read the definition again. There are aspects associated with being a man and woman in our society. They are social, psychological, cultural and behavioral. That's called gender.

If you don't understand the concept, the best idea would be to take some time to learn about it. Read about it or just ask on here. It can be complicated, but at its heart it's basically just a person's mental state regarding the cultural and behavioral roles associated with men and women. A bad idea is to call anything you don't like "word salad" and then insist on obviously silly rebuttals that completely misunderstand the topic.

icehorse

Premium Member
Seems more like you started from the prejudice and worked from there.
What prejudice?

Here's a nice quote from Mridul:

Sexual violence happens to bigoted people as well… If you bring unacceptable beliefs that are discriminatory in nature, we will begin to work with you on your journey of recovery from trauma. But please also expect to be challenged on your prejudices… You have to reframe your trauma… To me, therapy is political”.

I can't find anything about them turning women away.

You're playing games now.
I'm exposing the dangerous "games" that gender ideologists started :(

icehorse

Premium Member
Again, no, it's not circular or word salad, and you could not fit "your high holiness" into it.

1) "Your high holiness" is term of address, not a gender.

2) Read the definition again. There are aspects associated with being a man and woman in our society. They are social, psychological, cultural and behavioral. That's called gender.

If you don't understand the concept, the best idea would be to take some time to learn about it. Read about it or just ask on here. It can be complicated, but at its heart it's basically just a person's mental state regarding the cultural and behavioral roles associated with men and women. A bad idea is to call anything you don't like "word salad" and then insist on obviously silly rebuttals that completely misunderstand the topic.
I've tried. It's religious nonsense.

how about this, give an example from what you just said. Give an example of "a person's mental state regarding the cultural and behavior roles associated with men and women".

And then explain the mental state of a female brick layer?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Go ahead, call me "trans-phobic", but if a girl or woman I loved (or any female for that matter), was raped by a man, and went to a rape crisis center for support, I would demand that the victim not be "counseled" by a man.

I would want them counseled by someone qualified to do so, regardless of gender, and especially regardless of sex, since I would have no idea what genitals or genetics they have.