• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Buddhism without Hinduism

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Satsangi,

None is there to stop you or anyone from their path or way.
It is absolutely fine.
However, effort is to allow the dust in our minds to settle for consciousness to be clear and so this sharing.
Once again for clarification:
And God is present in that consciousness
does it mean that God is not the same as *consciousness* but God is in consciousness as a part of IT?
Next those words you quoted from BG traslates thus in english:
Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reaction. Do not fear.
This is the authors interpretation of history which transpired between two individuals and as we know words by itself falsify and when they are words which is far away from the actual persons or the event itself then chances of falsifications are more.
However the word *abandon* does no mean that the other paths/ways are incorrect ways or paths except that the moment of the context could have led to such a statement to get Arjuna into that no-mind instantaneously to be able to transcend the mind directly in this manner at fight the dharma war which Krishna was showing.

Love & rgds

nameless

The Creator
I disagree. First what is "Hinduism?"

before you disagree kindly take that question with some seriousness.

Most of the Upanishads were written AFTER Buddha and Mahavira.

so what? then it should be said Gautama is a 'ultra copycat', since whatever Buddha taught existed in vedas, even the core teaching of buddhism 'Sunyata'(void), existed in vedas.

There was neither non-existence nor existence then.
There was neither death nor immortality then.

Rigveda

Therefore, Nirvana is properly neither [in the realm of] existence nor non-existence.

Nagarjuna

The older Vedic traditions per the Brahmins was similar to old Judaism in which the priests ruled the lives of people

kindly quote here verses from vedas saying priests should rule the lives of people !!

that salvation was dependent on obedience to religious laws and sacrificial himsa (sacrifice of animals) to gods...

rubbish !! Vedic tradition is based on the revealed knowledge (sabda) (oral tradition), which has the power to change the life of listeners and liberate them from the dictate of mind and senses (contrary to an ordinary sound). It is self-evident and it does not need confirmation by other means, just like a food is fully capable to appease a hunger. It is transferred by a succession of spiritual masters and disciples (parampara) which assures its intact preservation:

One can never gain sprirituality from books, whether it be texts of hinduism, buddhism or jainsm or whatever it is....

When Buddha was in search for truth there was jainism teachings, and why did not Buddha become a jainist monk while its teachings were true?

The animal sacrifice in hinduism means to sacrifice animal nature within us, that is to stop hurting other beings to satisfy personal interests. Buddha applied this in his life, but buddhists hardly applied, still they talk about ahimsa.

Many scholars attributes the Doctrine of A-himsa NOT to Hinduism, but to Jainism. It was only later that the Upanishads adopted Ahimsa.

and what proof those scholars have?

Quotes from Vedas
Aghnyaa yajamaanasya pashoonpahi Yajurveda 1.1
“O human! animals are Aghnya – not to be killed. Protect the animals.)2-`` .....

Wikipedia - Ahimsa, quotes from Vedas

Reincarnation was not a staple of the older vedas:

"Despite this historical problem, it seems quite certain that the idea of reincarnation had its origin in the ancient speculative philosophies of India. Although some Hindu scholars insist that the oldest of the Hindu scriptures, the Samhitas, teach reincarnation, no clear statement of the doctrine can be found in them. The majority of experts agree that the pervasive teaching of the Vedas is that of resurrection and immortality with the gods, similar to that which is found in other polytheistic religions of the time. On the whole, it would seem fair to suppose that if the early Vedas do not specifically define or speak of reincarnation, the idea was not taught by the early Aryans, who wrote these first Hindu scriptures." - source: Reincarnation - Mark Albrecht - Chapter 3

After death, the soul goes to the next world, bearing in mind the subtle impressions of its deeds, and after reaping their harvest returns again to this world of action. Thus, he who has desires continues subject to rebirth.
Yajur Veda, Brihadaranyaka Upanishad 4.4.6

source : Hindu Basics

Who or what tradition first taught the concept of reincarnation? When exactly did the idea of rebirth and reincarnation find its way into "Hinduism?" What year were those writings written in: before or after Shramana, Jainism and Buddhism?
though there existed concept of reincarnation in vedas before jainism and buddhism, dont consider shramana tradition is something outside to vedas, the rishis and sages, the authors of vedas were shramanas and shramanas were rishis (buddha is also known as shakyamuni :)), they both are same. It is very common that divine people choses their own path, like buddha did not become jainist.

Buddha or the people who invented Buddhism, spent most of their time refuting Vedic practices.

This is true, Hinduism lost its soul at those times, hinduism was in the hands of priests. Buddha did not started new religion, he just tried to purify corrupted hinduism, so it is said that Buddha reinvented Hinduism.

But later the Upanishads that were writen after Jainism and Buddhism has similar ideas to Jainism and Buddhism, and in many cases also rejects older Vedic practices (such as sacrificial himsa):

Would be more accurate if said jainist and buddhist texts are very similar to vedas.
The concept of Shunyata, non-violence, reincarnation..everything was in vedas.

Many Western and "Hindu" scholars also believe that Jainism and Buddhism are direct continuations of the Shramana Tradition which has existed independent of and parallel to the Vedic tradition.

just their believes, they dont have any idea about origin of vedas.

The ancient Greeks and Romans wrote about the Buddhists and referred to them as "Sramano," or "Samana." Young Novice monks under the age of 20 in Theravada Buddhism are called Samanera meaning "Little Samana" (Samana being the Pali form of the Sanskrit Shramana).

nice :)

Last edited:

Abu Rashid

RamaRaksha said:
Would anyone doubt that if the Buddha had been born in Europe or Muslim lands in the middle ages, he would have been branded a heretic and burned at the stake, dying a horrible death? His teachings consigned to the fire, to be lost forever! There would be no Buddhism today!

I tend to view Buddha in a sense as the Jesus of the East. So even though Jesus (pbuh) was supposedly crucified by the Jews (or Romans or however you like to view it), his message did not "die at the sake" as it were. To say that if someone is killed for heresy therefore their message won't be carried on after them is quite obviously false.

RamaRaksha said:
And what do we Hindus do to the man who rejected Hinduism? Why, make him a God, of course! Imagine the greatness of a faith that saw divinity in a man who rejects it's teachings!

Hindus could make a god of anything, so that's not so surprising.

RamaRaksha said:
Go back a few hundred years and you see christian Europe and the muslim lands barren except for one religion each, while Hindu India is and has always been a polyglot of hundreds of religions. This is not an accident.

Whilst I agree with you about Christian lands being completely cleansed of all pre-existing religions, the same cannot be honestly said about Muslim lands. Whilst the Christians did indeed eradicate all non-Christian elements from their realms, the Muslims did no such thing. There are still non-Muslims living in Muslim lands till this day, and in fact the oldest synagogue for instance in Europe is one which was built in Muslim Spain.

That doesn't mean Muslims didn't fight with the pre-existing religions, of course they did, and it's rare for a new religion to come along and not be faced with hostility by previous religions.

Last edited:

Satsangi

Friend Zenzero,

That is the first part of the Shloka; the second part is "Aham tvam sarva paapebhyo Mokshayisyami maa suchaa" (I will deliver you you from all the sins and give you Moksha- have no doubts about this).

Yes, in Vishishtadvaita, God is not the same as Atman. God has a DIVINE FORM and the BrahmJyoti oe "Consciousness" is the effulgence of that Supreme Murthi. By His BrahmJyoti, in an Antaryaami form, He is present in all the Jeevas and gives the fruits of the Jeeva's Karmas. Qualitatively only, the Atman and BrahmaJyoti of God are same. Jeeva is limited to the body, the BrahmaJyoti is unlimited.

Regards,

Regards.

Wannabe Yogi

Friend Zenzero,

That is the first part of the Shloka; the second part is "Aham tvam sarva paapebhyo Mokshayisyami maa suchaa" (I will deliver you you from all the sins and give you Moksha- have no doubts about this).

Yes, in Vishishtadvaita, God is not the same as Atman. God has a DIVINE FORM and the BrahmJyoti oe "Consciousness" is the effulgence of that Supreme Murthi. By His BrahmJyoti, in an Antaryaami form, He is present in all the Jeevas and gives the fruits of the Jeeva's Karmas. Qualitatively only, the Atman and BrahmaJyoti of God are same. Jeeva is limited to the body, the BrahmaJyoti is unlimited.

Its like God is the spider the cosmos is the web. The universe comes out of God. Just like a web comes in and out of the spider. God is the cosmos but the cosmos is only part of God.
Is this correct ?

Satsangi

Abu Rashid,

We see God in everything; it is not "making up". Where do you see God, why do u guys pray in the direction of Mecca? Probably this question does not belong here for debate or discussion, but if its one shot deal then I think it should be OK. Otherwise we can start another thread. BTW you never answered my question in the other thread in your debate with K. Venugopal.

Regards,

Regards,

Abu Rashid

satsangi said:
We see God in everything; it is not "making up".

I didn't actually say "making up", I said "make". You could also construe my point as "take anything as a god" or "worship anything as a god" or "consider anything as a god" etc. By "make" I merely meant take or consider or worship, not necessarily invent or fabricate.

satsangi said:
We see God in everything...
...Where do you see God

I don't actually _see_ God per se. I see the signs of God, and like you I see them in everything. I think we merely have a different way of viewing the same thing there. Whilst you consider the signs of God to be God, I consider them signs of his creation.

satsangi said:
why do u guys pray in the direction of Mecca?

Unity.

satsangi said:
Probably this question does not belong here for debate or discussion, but if its one shot deal then I think it should be OK.

Well I gave a one word answer, if you need it elaborated on, then feel free to open a thread elsewhere to deal with the issue.

satsangi said:
BTW you never answered my question in the other thread in your debate with K. Venugopal.

I felt I answered all your questions. If you feel that I did not answer them sufficiently, then feel free to bump the thread up by re-iterating which ones specifically you felt weren't addressed.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Satsangi & WY,

Thank you for your responses.
The foolish mind here cannot comprehend the complexity of the messages.
In all simplicity these are all explanations or pointers by some mediums [avatars/enlightened ones] towards the *consciousness* which is universal and is also there in individual forms and no-forms.

Love & rgds

Satsangi

Abu Rashid,

I am not talking about seeing signs of God; that we see it too. We see God Himself. I may say the same thing- that u are wrong and I am right- and there is no end to it. The reason we cannot debate is because there is a strict seperation of Creator and Creation in Islam. In some sects of Hinduism, there is such a clear seperation. But, we do accept and consider it 100% true other philosophies. Make no mistake- in all sects of Sanatana Dharma, there is only one Supreme God. Hinduism accepts that there are many paths to that God who could have different forms and the path that devotee travels and the way he realizes God could differ and hence we see the apparent differences in philosophies.

Just as you say that Hindus make anything as God, I can easily say that the Muslims bow down to thin air 5 times a day. While I do accept ur bowing down with your heart to thin air as a true prayer; you cannot accept my praying to the God as a true prayer. This is the difference in the views of the devotee who follows Hindu view and Islam view. This is the reason many Hindus consider Islam's view very very myopic, although it is one of the path to God if followed correctly without misinterpretations.

By the way, Buddhists do not have a defined Creator God to my knowledge. Muslims would probably label them as "double kafirs" due to this, but Hindus do accept that Buddhism is a path to God.

Regards,

Last edited:

Satsangi

Its like God is the spider the cosmos is the web. The universe comes out of God. Just like a web comes in and out of the spider. God is the cosmos but the cosmos is only part of God.
Is this correct ?

That is one way to see it. There is a big spectrum from non duality to duality to view this. Lord Krishna says in the BG chapter 7, shlokas 4 and 5 as follows. He says that the AparaPrakriti consisting of 10 Indriyas, 4 Anthakarana, five elements etc is his Shakti/nature. He also says that the ParaPrakriti which is the Satchidananda, all pervading Consciousness or AksharaBrahman which is the support of all the Universes is His Shakti/nature too. Meaning He is the cause of both- AparaPrakriti and ParaPrakriti and is different from both.

Regards,

Last edited:

Abu Rashid

satsangi said:
I can easily say that the Muslims bow down to thin air 5 times a day.

This would naturally be the response of the one who always feels the need to apply a physical form to God that can be seen and touched. Even if it isn't an actual solid object, then it has to be the particles of nitrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide that surround us.

This is your need to connect to something because you feel so far away from God, since in reality you know him not.

satsangi said:
While I do accept ur bowing down with your heart to thin air as a true prayer; you cannot accept my praying to the God as a true prayer

Since I bow down to God, only he need accept it, so your acceptance or non-acceptance is meangingless.

And since you bow down to objects of creation, therefore you crave my acceptance since you know deep down you have not his.

satsangi said:
Muslims would probably label them as "double kafirs" due to this
A kafir is a kafir, there's no double kafir. There's kufr (rejection, covering over of the truth) and there's Islam (submission and surrender to the truth).

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
This would naturally be the response of the one who always feels the need to apply a physical form to God that can be seen and touched. Even if it isn't an actual solid object, then it has to be the particles of nitrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide that surround us.

This is your need to connect to something because you feel so far away from God, since in reality you know him not.

Since I bow down to God, only he need accept it, so your acceptance or non-acceptance is meangingless.

And since you bow down to objects of creation, therefore you crave my acceptance since you know deep down you have not his.

A kafir is a kafir, there's no double kafir. There's kufr (rejection, covering over of the truth) and there's Islam (submission and surrender to the truth).

I think you misunderstood Satsangi. I do not think that he is actually accusing Muslims of bowing to thin air. I think he had a diferent point all together. But I will alow him to reconcile this.

I also think that you have some serious misconceptions about Hinduism or just don't understand it. Our objective is unity with God, to experience the bliss and love of God. We do not see things as God but rather see God in things. God is everywhere and in everything. We can be more humble than a blade of grass and bow down to a tree because we see God within the entity.

Why do you think that Satsangi craves your acceptance? That is a very strange and self indulgent thought...

Abu Rashid

madhuri said:
I think you misunderstood Satsangi. I do not think that he is actually accusing Muslims of bowing to thin air.

Neither do I, but I do think it's the only way he can conceive of people worshipping, and so he must inevitably portray Muslims as worshipping some kind of physical touchable entity. The unseen God is beyond his physical senses, and therefore must be given a form which is subject to the senses.

madhuri said:
I also think that you have some serious misconceptions about Hinduism or just don't understand it.

Not really, I didn't even speak of Hinduism, I spoke about the unhistorical claims about Islam. Satsangi has tried to move the discussion onto Hinduism, but I've not really entered into the subject, other than to dispel his myths about Islam.

madhuri said:
Our objective is unity with God, to experience the bliss and love of God. We do not see things as God but rather see God in things. God is everywhere and in everything. We can be more humble than a blade of grass and bow down to a tree because we see God within the entity.

That's not really my concern. If you're happy with it, then why get all bent out of shape when I say Hindus can make a god of anything? In fact I was merely reiterating what someone had said, by claiming how great Hinduism was that it made a god out of the one who rejected it's teachings.

If you're not happy with my statement, then it means you're not really happy with worshipping all these objects. You feel bad about it, and therefore you crave my (or others) acceptance/approval of it.

madhuri said:
Why do you think that Satsangi craves your acceptance?

The fact he doesn't have it perturbs him.

If he was truly at peace with it, then it would not concern him what I thought about the legitimacy of it, and especially when I didn't even mention the legitimacy of it to begin with, but merely confirmed that "yes hindus can make a god of anything, even one who shuns them". So obviously it's on his mind... bubbling to the surface.

nameless

The Creator
friends,

Hinduism and Buddhism, the topic is a really interesting and serious one, make sure the topic is not diverted into something other.

hi Abu Rashid,

i wish you go through the topic -- islam says do ...

upon having further doubts regarding other's faiths, opening a new topic in appropriate forum is appreciated.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
That's not really my concern. If you're happy with it, then why get all bent out of shape when I say Hindus can make a god of anything? In fact I was merely reiterating what someone had said, by claiming how great Hinduism was that it made a god out of the one who rejected it's teachings.

If you're not happy with my statement, then it means you're not really happy with worshipping all these objects. You feel bad about it, and therefore you crave my (or others) acceptance/approval of it.

I think the problem here is that you are assuming that any of us are 'getting bent out of shape'. I think that we are having a discussion, that is all. Are you getting upset? Are you unhappy with our statements?

When I say that you must have misconceptions it is because of how you interpreted the statement of making Buddha into a god and then how you have continued to misunderstand things because of your idea of worship in the Hindu context. I personally disagree that Hindus made Buddha into a god. The Buddha avatar has a very different story to Gautama Buddha, who I believe was titled after the Hindu avatar that existed prior to Gautama.

Hindus do not make gods of everything or anything. This is a serious misconception and probably spread out of some sort of negative feeling toward Hinduism.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Madhuri, do you have some info on this Buddha Avatar?

Most sources I know seem to agree that Hindus do indeed se Gautama Buddha as an Avatar of Vishnu. I have also learned that "Buddha" would have a literal meaning of "awakened".

It is my current understanding that the concept of a Buddha as an awakened being did exist in Hinduism before Gautama was born, and I must assume that it has been used to some degree to refer to other beings before him, but I'm not aware of the specifics from a Hindu perspective.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Madhuri, do you have some info on this Buddha Avatar?

Most sources I know seem to agree that Hindus do indeed se Gautama Buddha as an Avatar of Vishnu. I have also learned that "Buddha" would have a literal meaning of "awakened".

It is my current understanding that the concept of a Buddha as an awakened being did exist in Hinduism before Gautama was born, and I must assume that it has been used to some degree to refer to other beings before him, but I'm not aware of the specifics from a Hindu perspective.

Hi Luis,
it is very difficult to find information because a lot of people assume that Buddha is a name and then assume that both Buddhas are the same personality.

Vishnu Buddha is one of the 10 Dasavatar. This is what the Srimad Bhagavatam says:

(Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.3.24)

“Thereafter, in the twenty-first manvantara at the beginning of Kali-yuga, the Lord will appear as Lord Buddha, the son of Anjana, in Kikata Pradesa (the province of Gaya-Bihar), just for the purpose of deluding those who are envious of the faithful demigods.”

It is written in the 29th Verse, 36th Chapter of Sri Nrisimha Purana:

“Lord Narayana appeared as Buddha when the age of Kali started.”

Kali Yuga began over 5000 years ago.

Sri Madhvacarya’s commentary on Verse 1.3.24 of Srimad-Bhagavatam:

“In order to delude the demons, He (Lord Buddha) was present in the form of a child on the way while the fool, Jina (a demon), imagined Him to be his son. Later on, Lord Sri Hari (as avatara-Buddha) expertly deluded Jina and other demons by His strong words of non-violence.”

Cosmos

Buddham is a root derivative from Hindu Sanskrit scriptures and, indeed, describes the Avatar (i.e. Manifestation). I also find it interesting that the Buddha spoke of His 'return' just as Jesus Christ did or the Prophet Muhammad in Hadith! What generally confuses people is the language employed, which are essentially the same cognitive but its usage differs from Hindu to Buddhist theologies.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Cosmos,

If we understand that existence is nothing but energy, and energy has its own laws which are universal and that which is eternal. This is what Sanatan Dharma means, *eternal law*.
Energy as we know changes forms and is evolving so when an individual form dies the energy remains but evolution takes it to another plane and form and so if enlightened persons state their next appearances on earth, surely it will be there but the forms will different as though we see there is coming and going at one level but at another energy remains as energy.

Love & rgds