• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polyamory or Monogamy?

Is polyamory or monogamy more natural?

• polyamory

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • monogamy

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • neither (state below)

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • other (state below)

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

Nymphs

So polyamorous people now have magical communication skills? Oh please.

Never said that, but in general, polyamorous relationships tend to be more complicated, thus require more communication to run smoothly because there is more than one partner. In my experience, in observing other polyamorous couples as well as my own, our communication has gotten better because we want to respect each other as well as each others partners, so we communicate more and tend to have more intense communication in order to make everything work.

When we were monogamous, we had a great relationship, but because it was just us two, we had a specific communication style and didn't bother to wander out of it because we didn't think it necessary. Now we see that open and honest communication about everything is the upmost importance.

I'm not saying that you can't have that in monogamous relationships, I'm just stating what I've seen and studied.

Nymphs

religious people "I am telling you personal proof"
non-believer "that's not evidence"

This is part psychology, but if you don't understand how personal experience is proof for something non-religious, that is your own issue.

lmfao, this is the best thread ever

You lack of respect is noted. I see you have absolutely no interest in understand polyamory. If/when you do, then please ask.

kashmir

This is part psychology, but if you don't understand how personal experience is proof for something non-religious, that is your own issue.
:facepalm:

You lack of respect is noted. I see you have absolutely no interest in understand polyamory. If/when you do, then please ask.
:facepalm: :facepalm:

please stop, my stomach hurts from laughing so much

"we are polyamory, we have super powers" :D

edit
I seen this on a talk show one time.
audience members: "if you all want sex with other people how do you know they wont cheat?"
them "unlike those in a one on one relationship we have extra people, so we don't have to cheat"
audience members"but what if they get bored, after all you like extra partners in the first place"
then:"you just don't understand, we know each other unlike you who will cheat and don't know each other"
laughter commences.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Perhaps this question is best left until a generation or two before we have reliable evidence to conclude either way what is acceptable in terms of risk-analysis and of social acceptance. 100 years ago, it was perfectly acceptable for a man to have a mistress on his side, but was socially exiled for getting a divorce and then remarrying (and then having CHILDREN in his new marriage :eek:). Nowadays, we don't give it much thought outside of some musings about couples staying together for 50+ years and how much better that was.

But polyamory as a phenomenon is still very recent.

How I see it at least. Give it time before it can reliably be put forward as part of a meta-analysis to compare and contrast it to monogamy. I'm still a "live and let live" kind of gal, though.

CynthiaCypher

no, non believers don't believe in magic :shrug:
wait, they do :D

lmfao, this is the best thread ever

They also have the magical ability to be immune to STD's and are magically super-responsible unlike us mere mortals. Even though research into the subject tell us that those who have up to 5 multiple partners are 8 times more likely to contract an STD than a person with a single partner. I guess magic trumps science in this case. Who knew?

Nymphs

"we are polyamory, we have super powers" :D

Your mocking and immaturity is noted.

I seen this on a talk show one time.
audience members: "if you all want sex with other people how do you know they wont cheat?"
them "unlike those in a one on one relationship we have extra people, so we don't have to cheat"
audience members"but what if they get bored, after all you like extra partners in the first place"
then:"you just don't understand, we know each other unlike you who will cheat and don't know each other"
laughter commences.

In any relationship (monogamous or polyamorous) one can cheat. Unlike monogamy, if a polyamorous person pursues an additional relationship, it isn't considered cheating.

Nymphs

They also have the magical ability to be immune to STD's and are magically super-responsible unlike us mere mortals. Even though research into the subject tell us that those who have up to 5 multiple partners are 8 times more likely to contract an STD than a person with a single partner. I guess magic trumps science in this case. Who knew?

You are the one who said it, not me. :rolleyes:

All I said is that polyamorous couples tend to have more communication, thus the accidental transference of STD's tends to be less because they know what is going on.

Anything else you are extrapolating is your own issue, not mine.

Nymphs

Perhaps this question is best left until a generation or two before we have reliable evidence to conclude either way what is acceptable in terms of risk-analysis and of social acceptance. 100 years ago, it was perfectly acceptable for a man to have a mistress on his side, but was socially exiled for getting a divorce and then remarrying (and then having CHILDREN in his new marriage :eek:). Nowadays, we don't give it much thought outside of some musings about couples staying together for 50+ years and how much better that was.

But polyamory as a phenomenon is still very recent.

How I see it at least. Give it time before it can reliably be put forward as part of a meta-analysis to compare and contrast it to monogamy. I'm still a "live and let live" kind of gal, though.

I'm the same.

If you want to be poly, be poly. If you don't, then don't.

:beach:

I just don't like to be accused of things that aren't true.

kashmir

who knew, non believers magic trumps science, logic and common sense.
hadda say it again, to see if its believable.

not only that their
"believe me even though I cant prove it true"
makes this whole thread well deserving of a sticky.

Last edited:

HexBomb

I don't think either is more 'natural.' I think it depends on the person.

My only experience with knowing anyone in real life who was polyamarous was a triad who had been together for five years, and all three had never had another partner. So the 'concept' that polyamory = more danger than monogamy is a little silly. It depends on the people involved, and how they view sex.

Personally, I don't know if I could do polyamory, but I don't ignore the possibility (though I sincerely doubt it, since only 1 person has been interested in me in my 26 years.)

kashmir

They need to just create a new thread and be done with it.

Multiple sex partners are less likely to get STD's and those in monogamous relationships are doing it wrong. :facepalm:

HexBomb

Multiple sex partners are less likely to get STD's and those in monogamous relationships are doing it wrong. :facepalm:

I didn't say that. I said it depends on the people. A polyamarous triad who has never had sex outside the triad is no more likely to pass around STDs than a virgin, and a serial monogamist who never gets tested is just as likely to pass around STDs as a player who never gets tested.

It all comes down to the people involved, their ability to communicate, and their level of responsibility.

Nymphs

My only experience with knowing anyone in real life who was polyamarous was a triad who had been together for five years, and all three had never had another partner. So the 'concept' that polyamory = more danger than monogamy is a little silly. It depends on the people involved, and how they view sex.

There are so many different styles of polyamory. There is polyfiedlity, open polyamory, hierachrachlal polyamory. It really depends on the people involved.

Personally, I don't know if I could do polyamory, but I don't ignore the possibility (though I sincerely doubt it, since only 1 person has been interested in me in my 26 years.)

That's what I said too. I've been married almost ten years (this year!) and we just opened up our relationship within the last year. I thought the same thing.

Nymphs

If you want to create a thread mocking, go ahead, that is your own prerogative.

kashmir

If you want to create a thread mocking, go ahead, that is your own prerogative.

playing victim now instead of providing evidence?

opps my bad,
personal experience is evidence, we all must except, unlike everyone elses personal experiences that means nothing.

Last edited:

kashmir

It's not magic, it's just open communication. It only looks like magic to those who don't know the trick of it.

monogamous people cant communicate?

trusting 15 ppl for say is more valid then just trusting one person? :sarcastic