• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republican tells Native American to go back where you came from

PureX

Veteran Member

General election for Idaho State Senate District 6​

Dan Foreman defeated incumbent David Nelson and James Hartley in the general election for Idaho State Senate District 6 on November 8, 2022.

Candidate%Votes
Image of https://s3.amazonaws.com/ballotpedia-api4/files/thumbs/100/100/DanForemanID.jpg
Dan Foreman (R)
Image of https://s3.amazonaws.com/ballotpedia-api4/files/thumbs/100/100/DNelson-6622.jpg
David Nelson (D)
Wow, those are a couple of mighty white, white guys!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Native Americans didn’t grow on trees in North America, they came across the Bering Straight from Asia. It’s one of those factual joke kind of posts.
So what??? They were the "First Peoples" here in the Americans, and that's the point.

InChrist

Free4ever
Yah, nah. I've talked to plenty of people who moved here from Idaho and those white nationalists are still very much there. I've also gone through there on a road trip to Utah during COVID and saw for myself that white nationalism is still very much alive and well there

You're right that literal skinheads themselves are a dated concept, but neonazism and white nationalism are still alive and well there from what I've seen and heard
That mentality is everywhere, though. Maybe just harder to hide or not as noticeable in large urban or city areas. I am very familiar with Idaho and know many people who live there who are in no way white nationalists or who tolerate racism against others.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The problem with describing black lives matter as Marxist is that the wo have nothing in common and everything in opposition to, the ideas that we find in Marx’s writing. But who cares about facts like that?
The organizers themselves said they are trained Marxists. Openly at that making it completely undeniable that they are not.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
The organizers themselves said they are trained Marxists. Openly at that making it completely undeniable that they are not.
Since they are allegedly "trained" Marxists, I wonder if they could describe Marxism to me. Seems a bit like, back in the day, when kids were wearing Che Guevara tee shirts. How many know what Marxism is and can they explain it?

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
That mentality is everywhere, though.

No it's not. White nationalism is not the norm... At least not where I live nor with the company I keep

Maybe just harder to hide or not as noticeable in large urban or city areas.

You really think that? Question then: why would people in cities be more inclined to hide their racist opinions than people in less populated areas?

I am very familiar with Idaho and know many people who live there who are in no way white nationalists or who tolerate racism against others.

Same. I have family that lives there, too. Nobody said every single person in Idaho is a white nationalist, but there sure do seem to be a lot of white nationalists in Idaho - so much so that it has a reputation for it

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
No it's not. White nationalism is not the norm... At least not where I live nor with the company I keep.
Same. I have family that lives there, too. Nobody said every single person in Idaho is a white nationalist, but there sure do seem to be a lot of white nationalists in Idaho - so much so that it has a reputation for it
I agree with your first statement and your second for that matter. My daughter was in the Air Force and the only state that she received white supremacist warnings about was Idaho. And she has lived in many states and in several countries.

Argentbear

studying a philosophy or system in school doesn't make you part of that. I went to a behaviorist school and that is what I learned but I am not a behaviorist in my job or practice.

And again the problem with trying to claim black lives matter is a Marxist organization is that it has nothing of Marxism in it.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
studying a philosophy or system in school doesn't make you part of that. I went to a behaviorist school and that is what I learned but I am not a behaviorist in my job or practice.

And again the problem with trying to claim black lives matter is a Marxist organization is that it has nothing of Marxism in it.
Well, at least two of the three founders are trained Marxists. Whatever those are.

www.politifact.com/article/2020/jul/21/black-lives-matter-marxist-movement/#:~:text=Black%20Lives%20Matter%20has%20grown%20into%20a%20national%20anti-racism

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Here's the deal for me, as being a white mid-westerner: I don't find a lot of happy mediums in my race, and the political spectrum displays a lot of uncertainty about them. The far-right might have them become bitter, judgemental people, who probably often don't have that much intelligence, and I don't think they represent the useful contributions in their culture's history, which surely were not based on bitterness. And the far-left actually has failed to define what it actually wants from white people, besides just adding (often probably justified) criticism, and it probably would go a long way with everyone if they would describe what they should do in positive terms
As a white, born and raised MidWesterner I find that post odd. Such as, yes, I have found middle classers prone to being judgemental, especially if they're trying to act and portray themselves as upper class (who tends to not be nearly as judgemental, in my experience).
Poor people tend to be the least judgemental. Judgment has often been passed on this group since their whole life, mental illness and physical disability is more common, amd materialism tends
to not be as big of a problem when you can't keep up with the Jonses.
And you have to be told what people want of you? Also, what is the Far Left? Ams the only people I know who have made blanket accusations against white people are racist and not really worth considering.
What's the far right? They didn't make me angry, judgemental or low intelligence. Racist MidWesterners have been crying over "press 1 for English" for a very long time. In fact, it's my observation moving to California that heterogenous cultures are good for people and it cuts back on racism.
It does seem to be a situation of social dissatisfaction where these topics are involved, and may continue to be, unless the political leadership, and the political writers of our time actually show everyone how all this should balance out
We don't need political action to be told what to do. If you need someone to tell you how to be a good person and show you how then you probably aren't.
We don't need others to tell us to broaden our horizons, we can do that on our own. But too many think they know it all and know the best and dismiss other ways as inferior. That's nothing to do with race but being privileged.
I don't know if we will dissolve,
Won't happen.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Too bad. Most know it's a Marxist movement.

amorphous_constellation

That's not been my experience regarding suburbanites disliking people who are not rich. If you can pay your mortgage or rent in a suburban neighborhood, you keep up the exterior of your home and lot, and you are considerate of neighbors, you are welcome anywhere.
Ok so when I get off the factory floor from 3rd shift, and my pants and shirt are full of oil, and my coat is ripped, I am not going to be walking down the street of some perfectly manicured, multi-story mc-mansion area without feeling like a rat. That's what I mean by 'suburbs' here in the midwest, I mean areas with extremely large, multi-story, single family housing. The HOA in those places probably makes it so everyone has to buzz-cut their lawns all the time, and I guess pressure wash their very plain, but large houses. No wildflowers allowed, no abstract art, nothing like that seems to be there
Regarding a culture of conformity, that's what a culture is and does. It unifies a people by giving them a common language, a common cuisine, a common style of dress, a common history, and the like: "the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group."
I'm not going to say you're wrong, and least not until I think about what you said a little more, but I'm interested in where you're rooting that theory. That's a very broad assertion. It seems like variance can be allowed, or, maybe in different parts of american history, it maybe was 'more allowed' in different places, maybe before the rise of the suburban mansion concept
Now there may be multiple different subcultures living side by side, but withing each of these smaller groups, conformity is what they want and what binds them together.
And that maybe seems a little more normal to me. I don't know. But to break with that, I can see that in the midwest we aren't exactly a cutlure with that has much direct, sustained, social contact between people in our neighborhoods. We don't have many normative '3rd places,' besides bars, which aren't that inclusive really. And church membership is probably still probably continuing to go low, as some of these really old church buildings near here are getting converted to other things
There's a major cultural divide - sophisticated, educated, people of means and a culture that embraces ignorance and poverty.
And I know you're responding to what I said, but I hesitate to agree, as I'm not sure how much of a generalization that is.
Let's look at those people a bit closer. Here are two graphics that give us a feel for which subsets prefer Trump and which prefer Harris. The first only looks at Harris. She's referred by white college grads, whereas Trump is preferred by white nongrads. Harris is preferred in cities and Trump in rural America:
I really prefer explanations to graphs, and this is nothing against people who like them, but I read this book on homelessness recently that was chalk full of graphs... and each one was compeltey different in style. It was like I needed a differnet engineering degree to figure out each one.. ick. But from what you wrote, I can get your point
So the consummate Trump supporter is a non-college graduate white male veteran living in rural America, and the rest prefer Harris. These two groups are about the same size. And they don't like one another.
Trying to figure out more about that is worth more discussion in and of itself, if it is true. Well you know in america we usually don't believe in class theory, like maybe they do in the UK for example. That's probably part of it, and I think sometimes that maybe not believing in it makes things worse
The Trump side contains a lot of people not benefitting from the American dream. That's what you see in rural Georgia and Alabama, for example -people living lives of quiet desperation stuck in dead-end jobs with no realistic hope of rising above lower middle class and subsistence living. The white ones are listening to conservative indoctrination media, which have convinced them that immigrants and "DEI hires" are stealing the good jobs from them, and that liberals, the well-off, and intellectuals are effete snobs and their enemies, and they want all of these people punished, which is why so many are drawn to MAGA bigotry, anger, bitterness, and grievance.
Ah... see this gives us a clue about something very, very important. Or at least I feel it's that way. What is a 'dead-end' job? Who in the world invented that, as a concept? Who views it that way - it seems like an american 'pop-media' way of seeing it. Is it a concept held in esteem by the rich suburbanite, or the blue-collar worker? In the over 10 years I've worked in the factory, the immigrants don't seem to view the job as a 'dead-end' job, they raise families on it, and get married. We americans, who don't make enough for the suburban mansion, are told that it is a dead-end job

amorphous_constellation

Racist MidWesterners have been crying over "press 1 for English" for a very long time. In fact, it's my observation moving to California that heterogenous cultures are good for people and it cuts back on racism.
Just to add one thing though - and I respect the hard-work ethic of immigrants, but keep in mind I deal with a language barrier every single day. Just last night, my translator/manager co-worker wasn't at work, so I had to use the phone translator / and other coworker to try and make sure things were going good at the press. And you know, I probably should learn spanish, because this communicating by phone / other people is not always that clear. I'll have to have management look at some of the production on monday, and see if some stuff needs to be re-worked. I kind of blame myself though if that's the case, as I could be a better communicator.. then again, they can look at it on monday and it might be good, I don't know.

Last edited: