• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF Every day sexism

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
In practice, they try to keep mini male spaces amongst themselves but don't seem to fully appreciate how far their voices travel around walls and such.
I fail to see how this qualifies as sexism more than any other sexualization by either gender of the other.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I fail to see how this qualifies as sexism more than any other sexualization by either gender of the other.
Well at my work place none of the women are talking about the physical attributes of male employees in the office, but we have several instances of men talking about the breasts and other features of new female employees, and rating them on a 1-10 scale.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Well at my work place none of the women are talking about the physical attributes of male employees in the office, but we have several instances of men talking about the breasts and other features of new female employees, and rating them on a 1-10 scale.

And that happens in male spaces. If you have an objection, say something.

EDIT: And by say something, I don't mean say it here. Say something to HR or a supervisor. Coming to the internet to rant about it does nothing for you other than perpetuate the "victim" stereotype.

Last edited:

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!

If you look at the very meaning of sexism...it stinks of it. To only hire women they think to be physically pleasing to the eye is sexist. Talking about a gender in way that makes them out to be some sort of sexual object is also a form of sexism.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
If you look at the very meaning of sexism...it stinks of it. To only hire women they think to be physically pleasing to the eye is sexist. Talking about a gender in way that makes them out to be some sort of sexual object is also a form of sexism.
The description of the event did not lend to the hiring practice you claim. Speaking of objectifying speech, and I know this is a tu quoque fallacy, neither gender is innocent, and almost no human is innocent, despite your protests.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |

It varies from place to place. I used to work at a retail store, Esprit, and my co-workers (who were really beautiful) talked about good looking men that would come to the store, about dates that they had, they would rate them, talk about how the "date" went. They were lovely people. One of the managers, she had a connection to another retail location and she gave a wonderful recommendation for me. Those ladies were not only beautiful, but they were extremely smart. They were also funny. But, to come back to the point, it varies from place to place. I have come into contact with many females that reiterate those very "rating" conversations that those men do in your work place. It just varies from place to place.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
The description of the event did not lend to the hiring practice you claim. Speaking of objectifying speech, and I know this is a tu quoque fallacy, neither gender is innocent, and almost no human is innocent, despite your protests.

I was sure that I read in a previous post that this was the case, perhaps I am confusing it with another post.

I never claimed that either gender is innocent, I was just stating that in this situation the attitude and behaviour of this particular group of men do fall under sexism.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And that happens in male spaces. If you have an objection, say something.

EDIT: And by say something, I don't mean say it here. Say something to HR or a supervisor. Coming to the internet to rant about it does nothing for you other than perpetuate the "victim" stereotype.

You're losing track of the conversation.

Now it looks like you're just fishing for something to object to, and are failing.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And that happens in male spaces.
Do you consider sexual objectification acceptable?

Do you consider it acceptable at the work place?

If you have an objection, say something.

This is a thread specifically for talking about experiences of sexism. Deal with it.

I think calling this "nothing more" than a difference between expectation and reality is not appropriate. I think that's a reality worth changing.

For the record, rather than complain to HR within my first week at a new job before I even know much about the culture (yeah that's going to go over well), I described the way I handled it in another thread once:

Where I work, there is a group of men that discuss in detail the physical appearance of new female employees when they think nobody is overhearing them. They discuss individual body parts and then rank overall on a scale of 1-10.
Did you confront them on it - let them know on a scale of 1-10 how shallow, inconsiderate & loud they were? :cool:
No, I tend not to get bothered by that kind of stuff. I'm friends with them now; we drink beers and watch movies together sometimes.

I had a detached kind of shock to it, rather than personal anger. Like, "I can't believe they're talking about me like that." Followed by the awkward issue of knowing which two co-workers think my breasts are too small, which two think they're okay, among various other positive, negative, and neutral descriptions of my body, and the various numerical ratings each one has assigned to me.

There was one time, like a year later, I forget the exact context, but I think one guy said this one actress is hot, and I sort of casually said, "Better than an X.Y?" referring to the exact number he gave me. He kind of thought for a second and then got an, "oh crap" look on his face. Funny stuff that was.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Speaking of objectifying speech, and I know this is a tu quoque fallacy, neither gender is innocent, and almost no human is innocent, despite your protests.
Perhaps instead of entering into a discussion thread to begin debating existing replies, and telling people not to share their stories of sexism in a thread about sharing stories of sexism, and then going on about neither gender being innocent, you could share some stories of sexism, as per the thread OP.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Do you consider sexual objectification acceptable?
Of course it's acceptable. It's a part of human instinct.
Do you consider it acceptable at the work place?
Under certain circumstances, sure.
I think calling this "nothing more" than a difference between expectation and reality is not appropriate. I think that's a reality worth changing.
Since this isn't a debate thread, and this wasn't a question, not going to directly contradict you here.
For the record, rather than complain to HR within my first week at a new job before I even know much about the culture (yeah that's going to go over well), I described the way I handled it in another thread once:
Maybe so, but rehashing it here accomplishes what?

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Perhaps instead of entering into a discussion thread to begin debating existing replies, and telling people not to share their stories of sexism in a thread about sharing stories of sexism, and then going on about neither gender being innocent, you could share some stories of sexism, as per the thread OP.

Have I told you how much I like your posts lol

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Ok, so play the victim or get out. I get it. Have fun.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Of course it's acceptable. It's a part of human instinct.

Under certain circumstances, sure.
So it's acceptable to talk about breasts of female co-workers at work?

Since this isn't a debate thread, and this wasn't a question, not going to directly contradict you here.

Maybe so, but rehashing it here accomplishes what?
To share stories of sexism.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
So it's acceptable to talk about breasts of female co-workers at work?
It isn't categorically off the table for discussion. As far as where, when, and how that discussion can acceptably take place...that is up for debate.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It isn't categorically off the table for discussion. As far as where, when, and how that discussion can acceptably take place...that is up for debate.
So it's potentially okay to talk about breasts of female co-workers at work?

Okay.

Me Myself

Back to my username
मैत्रावरुणिः;3481368 said:
It varies from place to place. I used to work at a retail store, Esprit, and my co-workers (who were really beautiful) talked about good looking men that would come to the store, about dates that they had, they would rate them, talk about how the "date" went. They were lovely people. One of the managers, she had a connection to another retail location and she gave a wonderful recommendation for me. Those ladies were not only beautiful, but they were extremely smart. They were also funny. But, to come back to the point, it varies from place to place. I have come into contact with many females that reiterate those very "rating" conversations that those men do in your work place. It just varies from place to place.

Yeah, in general the rating thing doesnt feel like sexism at all to me.

Inappropiate sure, if the person is hearing about it and you are not reasonably comfortable with each other, but it is common and there is nothin wrong with it at all.

I know the things female friends consider sexy about me and which they dont, bodily wise. I dont see anything wrong with it. That said, if I went to work and I verheard a conversation of women rating my body... well depending on my score that might be awkward or awesome :D