• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF Every day sexism

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Yeah, in general the rating thing doesnt feel like sexism at all to me.

Inappropiate sure, if the person is hearing about it and you are not reasonably comfortable with each other, but it is common and there is nothin wrong with it at all.

I know the things female friends consider sexy about me and which they dont, bodily wise. I dont see anything wrong with it. That said, if I went to work and I verheard a conversation of women rating my body... well depending on my score that might be awkward or awesome :D

I could not think of anything worse than people talking about and rating my appearance as a discussion point...the thought of work people talking about my girly bits makes me feel a bit ill.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I know the things female friends consider sexy about me and which they dont, bodily wise. I dont see anything wrong with it. That said, if I went to work and I verheard a conversation of women rating my body... well depending on my score that might be awkward or awesome :D

What's worse is walking into a conversation about them talking about you, be it either good or bad. But, I'll definitely take the good ones any day. ;)

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe so, but rehashing it here accomplishes what?

It addresses the OP, for one thing. It shares experiences related to sexism from people's everyday lives, which among other things can provide some with insight regarding stuff they haven't experienced themselves.

More importantly though, it accomplishes more than your failed attempt to find fault where none was to be found.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course it's acceptable. It's a part of human instinct.

Under certain circumstances, sure.

Just as per the OP. Thanks for contributing more examples of sexism to the thread.
icon14.gif

Me Myself

Back to my username
as far as I understand, he is saying both male objectification and female objectification are acceptable.

While you may disagree, it doesnt sound like he is treating either one different for anything, so it's not really sexism.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Seems like Professionalism 101: Don't talk about your co-workers boobs at work.

Yeah it kinda comes under code of conduct...and I am sure in a lot of workplaces it would be classes as some sort of sexual harassment even though it is not said directly due to the its inappropriateness.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Seems like Professionalism 101: Don't talk about your co-workers boobs at work.

Like profesionalism 101 dont play farmville at work? :D

People are people at work too. They are going to goof around and be silly. Anyways, I am giving it a rest now, sorry.

Maybe you gals and guys there are way more profesional than people here :D

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
as far as I understand, he is saying both male objectification and female objectification are acceptable.
Exactly. Under certain oft-occurring circumstances, acceptable.
While you may disagree, it doesnt sound like he is treating either one different for anything, so it's not really sexism.
I personally didn't think so, but I'm sure it will be branded as sexist here due to the prevailing opinion of the forum, particularly expressed by staff in this thread.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I think when you're new at a job in a predominantly male industry and several male employees begin talking about your breasts, figure, face, and legs, it's primarily a sexist issue.

New employee = more breasts in the office.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Exactly. Under certain oft-occurring circumstances, acceptable.

I personally didn't think so, but I'm sure it will be branded as sexist here due to the prevailing opinion of the forum, particularly expressed by staff in this thread.

I personally do not support the idea of objectifying either men or women for any reason.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
I still want to see the post where I played the victim.

Primarily because I'm interested in seeing what someone thinks playing the victim looks like.
What? You and a couple of staff members have already shouted me down. Now you're pushing for a response that will likely be interpreted as a rule break? (pass)

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think when you're new at a job in a predominantly male industry and several male employees begin talking about your breasts, figure, face, and legs, it's primarily a sexist issue.

New employee = more breasts in the office.

It's an issue about sexual arousal that is not the same as an issue about sexism.

You being hired because you were a woman would be an issue of sexism. You being payed less because you are a woman would be an issue of sexism.

Saying you cant rate other men's body in the office but they can rate yours would be an issue of sexism.

I dont see how people rating the people they find sexy while having displayed nothing in particular (that you have commented us or that I had read, of course) in opposition to the same being done to them by the opposite sex would be sexist at all.

I can definetely understand how you would find uncomfortable by it and would understand a rule against it, but so far I dont see how this is believing women have different rights than men or something.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
It's an issue about sexual arousal that is not the same as an issue about sexism.

You being hired because you were a woman would be an issue of sexism. You being payed less because you are a woman would be an issue of sexism.

Saying you cant rate other men's body in the office but they can rate yours would be an issue of sexism.

I dont see how people rating the people they find sexy while having displayed nothing in particular (that you have commented us or that I had read, of course) in opposition to the same being done to them by the opposite sex would be sexist at all.

I can definetely understand how you would find uncomfortable by it and would understand a rule against it, but so far I dont see how this is believing women have different rights than men or something.

The problem with this is that it would have to be ok from both sides before it is considered not a sexism issue. Unlikely situation, even if it were it wouldnt end up being spoken about.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What? You and a couple of staff members have already shouted me down. Now you're pushing for a response that will likely be interpreted as a rule break? (pass)
It has nothing to do with staff. The staff members in this thread are just posting as members. Though, the thread should remain a discussion and remain about examples of sexism and the discussion of those examples.

You're talking about me playing the victim but aren't saying where it was. Just quote the post if you want, highlight the specific part, let me see what you're talking about.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

It shows all sorts of underlying assumptions. A new employee comes in so it's all about the appearance. When a guy is new I haven't heard a single word about his appearance where I work.

We don't live in a perfectly balanced society yet. It's still essentially a patriarchy. When someone shows up at a job with a lot of existing men and one of her earliest impressions of them is that they're talking about her breasts and other aspects of her body in odd detail, I don't see how you could not call that sexism.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
It shows all sorts of underlying assumptions. A new employee comes in so it's all about the appearance. When a guy is new I haven't heard a single word about his appearance where I work.

We don't live in a perfectly balanced society yet. It's still essentially a patriarchy. When someone shows up at a job with a lot of existing men and one of her earliest impressions of them is that they're talking about her breasts and other aspects of her body in odd detail, I don't see how you could not call that sexism.

And if there is no rule against you doing the same regarding men, I can't see how you call it sexism. BTW, that patriarchy thing...40-50 years ago, sure, but we no longer live in a patriarchy.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
When a guy is new I haven't heard a single word about his appearance where I work.

Psst. Just wait for me to come there and start working. My jet-black silky hair, my unbreakable smile, my dark eyes with long eyelashes . . . will make the ladies go ga-ga.

OooOOo. Who's that exotic spice, the one with that gorgeous smile? He's a perfect 10.

;)

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
And if there is no rule against you doing the same regarding men, I can't see how you call it sexism. BTW, that patriarchy thing...40-50 years ago, sure, but we no longer live in a patriarchy.

The objectification does not have to apply to one and not the other for it be sexist. It is the action that renders it sexist, in the understanding of the term.