• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senate Republicans oppose Reproductive Freedom for Women.

Do you support access to reproductive healthcare, including abortion rights and contraception.

• Total voters

Laniakea

Not of this world
The trend is in the direction of bodily autonomy. Turns out, Republican women value bodily autonomy as well.
When they didn't want to be forced to be injected with a "vaccine", their body suddenly wasn't their own, and neither was the choice. That's when they were labeled as murderers for "trying to kill Grandma".
But it's fun to watch you guys and your double standards.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
When they didn't want to be forced to be injected with a "vaccine", their body suddenly wasn't their own, and neither was the choice. That's when they were labeled as murderers for "trying to kill Grandma".
That you think the vaccine was about bodily autonomy is most comical.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh my, no one was forced to inject a vaccine. And yes, people that are selfish that was were rightly called "grandma killers". That is not forcing people to do the right thing. And some jobs required it. But one could always find work elsewhere. There are many jobs that require their workers to get various vaccines. For example nursing homes, in my state at least, required people to get an annual flu shot.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
No other topic have I been troubled over more than this topic as it took years before I could finally find some resolve. The bottom line for me is mainly two-fold:
1. Should I or the government have the power to tell a woman what she must do with something inside of her, and...
2. if abortion is so morally repugnant, then why does God allow miscarriages?

Thus, I'm pro-choice since I don't believe that I or the government should mandate that which is inside her.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

When it comes to reproductive freedoms, so far, they've all been on the side of more freedoms, not less. Even Republican women value their bodily autonomy.
That's my point.

I'm not going to respond to an argument I've not made because you're trying to deflect away from the topic at hand.

Wandering Monk

No other topic have I been troubled over more than this topic as it took years before I could finally find some resolve. The bottom line for me is mainly two-fold:
1. Should I or the government have the power to tell a woman what she must do with something inside of her, and...
2. if abortion is so morally repugnant, then why does God allow miscarriages?

Thus, I'm pro-choice since I don't believe that I or the government should mandate that which is inside her.
About 10 to 20% of pregnancies end with a miscarriage. Eighty percent of those are in the first 12 weeks.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Exactly. Access to birth control is very different than killing the unborn in the womb.
You'd rather these infants suffer short agonizing lives outside the womb then, is that it?

This is what happens when you take away women's reproductive freedoms.

You end up with higher infant mortality rates. From the people who claim to be protecting the "unborn."

"Conclusions and Relevance This study found that Texas’ 2021 ban on abortion in early pregnancy was associated with unexpected increases in infant and neonatal deaths in Texas between 2021 and 2022. Congenital anomalies, which are the leading cause of infant death, also increased in Texas but not the rest of the US. Although replication and further analyses are needed to understand the mechanisms behind these findings, the results suggest that restrictive abortion policies may have important unintended consequences in terms of trauma to families and medical cost as a result of increases in infant mortality. These findings are particularly relevant given the recent Dobbs v Jackson Women’s Health Organization US Supreme Court decision and subsequent rollbacks of reproductive rights in many US states."

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You'd rather these infants suffer short agonizing lives outside the womb then, is that it?

This is what happens when you take away women's reproductive freedoms.

You end up with higher infant mortality rates. From the people who claim to be protecting the "unborn."

"Conclusions and Relevance This study found that Texas’ 2021 ban on abortion in early pregnancy was associated with unexpected increases in infant and neonatal deaths in Texas between 2021 and 2022. Congenital anomalies, which are the leading cause of infant death, also increased in Texas but not the rest of the US. Although replication and further analyses are needed to understand the mechanisms behind these findings, the results suggest that restrictive abortion policies may have important unintended consequences in terms of trauma to families and medical cost as a result of increases in infant mortality. These findings are particularly relevant given the recent Dobbs v Jackson Women’s Health Organization US Supreme Court decision and subsequent rollbacks of reproductive rights in many US states."
So called "late term abortions" are almost never done as abortions of convenience. Those tend to happen long before one can call an embryo or fetus an "unborn child". They are done, as you have pointed out, to prevent massive suffering by forcing a woman to carry a fetus to term. They are also frequently done to save the woman's life. Late term abortions are had by people that really wanted to have a child to only hear that if the fetus survives the pregnancy it will have an extremely short and painful life. Oh, and they are sometimes done to remove a dead fetus. Fetuses do die at times. The body does not just "poop" them out automatically at times. And carrying a dead body around inside a woman can be a very serious health risk.

There is no time quite often for some person that is medically illiterate to decide whether a woman really needs an abortion or not, and that is the position that many antiabortion states have put themselves in.

By the way, it was legal to ban late term abortions before Roe v Wade was overturned. But in states where they had such laws it was the doctor that decided without the state second guessing them.

Late term abortions were simply not ever "abortions on demand"

Wandering Monk

'The updated analysis considers 2021 CDC data, before the Dobbs decision, in a post-Dobbs policy landscape. The analysis shows that abortions at or after 21 weeks are uncommon and represent 1% of all abortions in the U.S. Ninety-six percent occurred at or before 15 weeks gestation, while 3% occurred from 16 to 20 weeks gestation.

Notably, discussions about abortions occurring later in pregnancy are often fraught with misinformation; in fact, abortions occurring “moments before birth” or even “after birth” are illegal in the U.S. and do not occur.

KFF also looks at the other issues with abortions later in pregnancy, including the expense of the procedures, which often require travel and lost wages, and the lack of availability given that they are only performed by a fraction of abortion providers. Additionally, KFF explores why people seek abortions later in pregnancy, including medical concerns such as fetal anomalies, maternal health, or life endangerment, as well as barriers to care that cause delays in obtaining an abortion.'

Wandering Monk

1721235741572.png