• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the oneness of humanity be taught in all schools worldwide

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The format depends on whatever humanity collectively or individual nations agree upon. Nothing to do with us Baha’is at all. For example racial harmony is needed in the USA and they need to find a way of addressing it. In Muslim schools the need may be to respect all faiths and so on. So on a needs basis.

Wars may drive humanity to the point where they are forced to take a serious look at what is being taught the next generation and why they are being indoctrinated to hate others. Treaties, ceasefires and public protests have proved completely useless as the next generation is educated to kill then another war starts. This applies to all nations, races and religions. Humanity needs to find a way to create harmony between the various diverse elements or face endless conflicts. The media also bears heavy responsibility not to demonise which it does so often, turning people against one another. This is a massive undertaking which will likely take decades if not centuries to move away from confrontation and towards cooperation and peaceful coexistence. A lot of effort and very hard work. No magic wand here.
Since you seem unable to describe this secular oneness you are proposing otherwise, how about you give a brief example of the proposed curriculum for this class?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Everyone of us can play a role. For example if the reality of your area is full of racism then the need is to promote racial harmony. If it is hostility between faiths then fellowship and friendship between the religions needs to be promoted. By doing nothing we watch society descend into chaos and conflict.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I didn't ask if gays were human beings, of course the are. I asked if you will drop your religious bias and acknowledge that gays have equality in the law and socially like anyone else. If you are serious about equality then gays get it too, right?
And women, and atheists, and all the non-Bahai adherents, and ...

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Since you seem unable to describe this secular oneness you are proposing otherwise, how about you give a brief example of the proposed curriculum for this class?
Because the needs vary in different societies. There is no one size fits all. Diversity of thought and culture needs to be taken into account. Those effected will need to be protagonists in formulating what works best for them in creating a ciriculum which expresses the oneness of mankind. It can no longer be a formula based upon ‘us and them’ which only alienates people not of the same group and leads to ‘otherness’ instead of oneness. Experts and lay people will have to consult on how to live with their differences without making them a cause of conflict. It is a very complex process one I cannot produce. It must be a collective effort.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That is only the current state of affairs, the Baha'i Universal House of Justice located in Haifa has promised a Baha'i state once the majority of people become Baha'i in my view.
Can you imagine that? Fortunately it is far more likely that this faith is history in less than 100 years. With an aging demographic, and better education about the reality of such groups, like that which is going on here on this forum, it should die off, like many others before it.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
And women, and atheists, and all the non-Bahai adherents, and ...
Everyone. It’s humanity that will set this up out of the need to get along as war becomes intolerable. Treaties, pacts and ceasefires are clearly not working. A reassessment of our relationships is what is required. But after the penny drops that nothing has worked humanity will I believe investigate the cause and track it down to prejudices which we have been indoctrinated with from childhood. And the only thing that can reduce prejudice is a form of education which promotes harmony. This I believe will be adopted by the world and has nothing to do with the Baha’is.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Of course gays have equality in the law. Why on earth not? I don’t see gay I see human.
I don't trust you, or any Baha'i, given your evasion and insincerity. Baha'i routinely assert that gays don't have rights, and even your wording here suggests secular law, but that would likely be replaced with Baha'i law if your tribe got power.

And your idealism is as naive and blind as any other religious person. You don't seem able to assess the problems that humans have at the primal level. I ask how you deal with extremists and you have no answers. Most citizens of they world want peace, but it is extremists who cause problems. Wearing a BLM t shirt won't convince racists they are wrong. Hamas won;t be convinced with peace talks. The Taliban won't change their minds with women seeking equality. And you offer no solution.

Last edited:

ppp

I think it’s very human and that educating our children to hate other races, religions or nationalities is terrible and the cause of destruction. Hitler demonised the Jews and so is Hamas. That’s what I would call anti human. Teaching people to respect and love all humanity is the ONLY way to peace. Offer a better way if you have one.
I didn't ask about your opinion. I asked, Do you have any interest in why anyone on this forum would honestly disagree with you?

The fact that you are either incapable or unwilling to address that yes or no question directly is telling.

Do you have any interest in why anyone on this forum would honestly disagree with you?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I don't trust you, or any Baha'i, given your evasion and insincerity. Baha'i routinely assert that gays don't have rights, and even your wording here suggests secular law, but that would likely be replaced with Baha'i law if your tribe got power.

And your idealism is as naive and blind as any other religious person. You don't seem able to assess the problems that humans have at the primal level. I ask how you deal with extremists and you have no answers. Most citizens of the world want peace, but it is extremists who cause problems. Wearing a BLM t shirt won't convince racists they are wrong. Hamas won;t be convinced with peace talks. The Taliban won't change their minds with women seeking equality. And you offer no solution.
As I said it will take generations for change to take place. our administration has no power over non Baha’is and never will. People will always be free to believe what they wish.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Are you willing to reassess your relationships, your elitist Baha'i attitude demonstrated regularly on this forum? If not, then the statement is moot. As many others have said, education that promotes harmony is all around the planet right now. You really think I would have tolerated hate of others when I taught school for 30 years? Here, right now, in high schools there are LGBQT support groups, anti-racist policies, and much more in that regard. This idea of yours is certainly nothing new.

If the world is to move on as you would suggest, we need to drop religions like Baha'i who have doublespeak in their system. If it meant more harmony, would you be able to drop your Baha'i faith in favor of something far more progressive?
That is fine but we have many conflicts today born from prejudicial indoctrination to kill and hate. It may not be in your circles but recent massacres are a direct result of hate indoctrination so it needs to be addressed. The Baha’i Faith is only a means to an end. It is stated in our writings that if religion is a cause of hatred and bloodshed then we are better off without it. In the end it’s up to people to judge for themselves.

F1fan

Veteran Member
As I said it will take generations for change to take place. our administration has no power over non Baha’is and never will. People will always be free to believe what they wish.
How long will it take you to reject the anti-gay prejudices in Baha’i dogma?

Baha’i are free to be anti-gay bigots so until they reject this learned dogma no one can take them seriously.

danieldemol

Premium Member
The only reason it never will is because it is unlikely that it will ever gain majority though.

Otherwise it is the openly stated aim of the Baha'i Haifa based Universal House of Justice to establish a Baha'i state if and when Baha'i become a majority . Do you disagree and if so why (other than wishful thinking)?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That is fine but we have many conflicts today born from prejudicial indoctrination to kill and hate. It may not be in your circles but recent massacres are a direct result of hate indoctrination so it needs to be addressed. The Baha’i Faith is only a means to an end. It is stated in our writings that if religion is a cause of hatred and bloodshed then we are better off without it. In the end it’s up to people to judge for themselves.
As usual, you just avoided any questions I had. My unrealistic expectations for anything better came through again, sadly.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't trust you, or any Baha'i, given your evasion and insincerity. Baha'i routinely assert that gays don't have rights,
The Baha'i Faith does not teach that gays don't have human rights. It teaches the exact opposite.
There is one Baha'i Law that states Baha'i marriage can only be between a man and a woman, that is all.
Catholicism has the same restriction on marriage and they have a lot more influence in this world. Why not come down on them?
and even your wording here suggests secular law, but that would likely be replaced with Baha'i law if your tribe got power.
Nobody except God knows what is going to happen in the distant future, and even in the future Baha'i Laws would only apply to Baha'is.
Nobody has to be a Baha'i unless they choose to be, that will never change.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
How long will it take you to reject the anti-gay prejudices in Baha’i dogma?

Baha’i are free to be anti-gay bigots so until they reject this learned dogma no one can take them seriously.
Baháʼí teachings state that Baháʼís should not treat homosexual people as condemned outcasts, nor expect people who are not Baháʼí to follow Baháʼí laws. The Baháʼí writings teach adherents to treat everyone with respect and dignity, and to eschew an attitude of discrimination and social intolerance toward homosexuals. (Universal House of Justice)

Baha‘I law stipulates that marriage can only be be between a man and a woman.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Because the needs vary in different societies. There is no one size fits all. Diversity of thought and culture needs to be taken into account. Those effected will need to be protagonists in formulating what works best for them in creating a ciriculum which expresses the oneness of mankind. It can no longer be a formula based upon ‘us and them’ which only alienates people not of the same group and leads to ‘otherness’ instead of oneness. Experts and lay people will have to consult on how to live with their differences without making them a cause of conflict. It is a very complex process one I cannot produce. It must be a collective effort.
Your inability to secularize your religious views is a clear cut indication that it should not be taught in all schools worldwide.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
@loverofhumanity: [Deafening Silence]
Yes of course. But in the end I am not going to argue endlessly to try and convince people. I believe humanity needs to unlearn its prejudices and through education. But by all means if others have a better solution to help people get along then please put it on the forum as whatever benefits humanity is in all our best interests. But just argument for arguments sake I’m not interested because that’s just egotistic and goes nowhere.

People on this forum need to learn to maturely discuss instead of just oppose, ridicule and try to degrade and mock others which I have no time for.

If you or anyone has a constructive solution how to heal relations between races, religions and nations apart from the oneness of humanity then put it forward otherwise just seeking confrontation is very immature and childish. Just putting down my idea is not enough. Offer something better if you think you know better.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Baháʼí teachings state that Baháʼís should not treat homosexual people as condemned outcasts, nor expect people who are not Baháʼí to follow Baháʼí laws. The Baháʼí writings teach adherents to treat everyone with respect and dignity, and to eschew an attitude of discrimination and social intolerance toward homosexuals. (Universal House of Justice)

Baha‘I law stipulates that marriage can only be be between a man and a woman.
Which is why it is obsolete, prejudicial, and cruel. Baha'i law is inconsistent with your appeals to global peace and equality.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Catholicism has the same restriction on marriage and they have a lot more influence in this world. Why not come down on them?
Start a thread proposing Catholicism be required teaching in all schools worldwide and see how much "coming down on them" there is.
Otherwise, it appears you are attempting to derail this thread about making Bha'i required teaching in all schools worldwide.